The Most Depressing Album Of All Time ?

oldnews

10 hours ago, username said:

I get where you're coming from with the subject matter. But the overall music vibe, for me, isn't as depressing as the subject itself. Which kind of lifts it up. That, and there's this strange sense of peace and hope about Pigs On The Wing. I love that song to bits. Especially the full version with the Snowy White solo in the middle. 

Animals is more anger than depressing for me

Great record

I've listened to it in some of the worst days in my life...It's so wretched, painful, dark, agressive, creepy, about being desperated, trapped inside your hell, your own nightmare, destroyin' yourself...
The intro to this song and the cymbals still haunts me 'till today.
NIN is all about depression, sadness, feeling lost, being anger with it, and find no way out. Find My Way and All That Could Have been are examples of that. 
But i'd pick october rust by type o negative as well, or "Book Of Shadows I" by Black Label Society

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

But who is Sorry about...it puzzles me inn the same way as why didnt Martika become as big as Taylor Swift.

It’s a composite maybe. Media, internet fans, haters. It’s universal. 

But “I’ll kick your ass like I said that I would” - reference to Get in the Ring rant. 

It’s about Mick Wall maybe in part. 

“Screams from the haters

gotta a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero needs his theme music”

8 hours ago, wasted said:

It’s a composite maybe. Media, internet fans, haters. It’s universal. 

But “I’ll kick your ass like I said that I would” - reference to Get in the Ring rant. 

It’s about Mick Wall maybe in part. 

“Screams from the haters

gotta a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero needs his theme music”

i personally think its Niven, if it was about Slash Axl would say so

Edited by Silverburst80

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

I always thought it was about Slash, also remember someone saying the first verse on 'street of dreams' is about Kurt Cobain

I think it’s more likely the other way  round. 

SOD is about Slash and how Axl will keep on going without him. 

And Sorry is about Kurt doing heroin, selling out. But I think it’s not one person. You can look at them as political protest songs too. 

And neither is SOD or any of the songs. Not about single people. Sorry is about feeling sorry for people like Brando does in On the Waterfront. But maybe in a more condescending way, arrogance maybe. 

SOD is about whatever is bringing you down you always have a dream. 

Edited by wasted

On 10/19/2018 at 8:13 AM, Len Cnut said:

This begs an interesting question, whats a depressing hip hop album?  Tupac could get a bit much at times, not depressing so much as too intense.  Also he's got a body of work full of shit that he never meant for release so for a lot of the time over 8 or 10 posthumous albums he's talking about the same fucking thing.

Me Against the World to an extent? Not sure if depressing is the right word tho. 

Scarface’s The Diary maybe. But I’m still not sure I’d call it depressing.

It’s a good question. I’d have to think on it some more but right off the top nothing jumps out at me.

I don’t think I’ve ever listened to a full Korn album, but from what I’ve heard and the way that guy talks and carries himself I’m willing to bet they have at least one album that’s depressing af.

1 minute ago, J Dog said:

Me Against the World to an extent? Not sure if depressing is the right word tho. 

Scarface’s The Diary maybe. But I’m still not sure I’d call it depressing.

It’s a good question. I’d have to think on it some more but right off the top nothing jumps out at me.

I don’t think I’ve ever listened to a full Korn album, but from what I’ve heard and the way that guy talks and carries himself I’m willing to bet they have at least one album that’s depressing af.

Black people have a better outlook on life man :lol:  Everytime I'm high I watch black movies cuz the right ones make me laugh, not that black movies can't be fuckin' serious cuz a great many are but I smoked a spliff the other day for the first time in months and my go to shit was like...Friday or Friday After Next or Richard Pryor or Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle...y'know, whatever.  There's a message in that shit, black people have a better time than all of us.  There's a bunch of lame sociological explanations my drunk ass could offer right now but the truth is I dunno what I'm talkin' about :lol: 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Black people have a better outlook on life man :lol:  Everytime I'm high I watch black movies cuz the right ones make me laugh, not that black movies can't be fuckin' serious cuz a great many are but I smoked a spliff the other day for the first time in months and my go to shit was like...Friday or Friday After Next or Richard Pryor or Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle...y'know, whatever.  There's a message in that shit, black people have a better time than all of us.  There's a bunch of lame sociological explanations my drunk ass could offer right now but the truth is I dunno what I'm talkin' about :lol: 

Yes Miss Charlotte. I carry you bags for you Miss Charlotte. The sun looks reeeeel pretty today, don't it?

Edited by DieselDaisy

On 10/19/2018 at 5:02 AM, soon said:

Pink Floyd - Animals, The Wall, Final Cut

Amelia Curran - Spectators

Adrian Belew - Side Two

Alice In Chains - Jar of Flies, self titled, MTV Unplugged

Dirt is quite depressive to me as well. Elliott Smith albums.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, soon said:

Agreed about dirt. I guess everything I can bring to mind by them except the song Man In The Box is pretty depressive.

Have you heard the new AIC record? still haven't got around to it. heard a few tunes though. sounds legit.

9 hours ago, Rovim said:

Have you heard the new AIC record? still haven't got around to it. heard a few tunes though. sounds legit.

No I havent yet, either. But Ive heard a clip of the one song they used in a few ads. With a massive guitar riff. My impression was the same, like 'thats Alice and chains!!' Drew me back in after being lukewarm on post Layne stuff.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Is Dirt by Alice in Chains perchance?  Does it have a dog on the front cover?  If so I've heard that album, I bought it cuz everyone kept going on about Alice in Chains so I thought I'd give em a go, it was fuckin' awful.

Dirt is by Alice in Chains. But the album with a dog on the cover is their self titled album. Love em or hate em sort of albums, for sure.

Edited by soon