Slash to record in Axl's Malibu studio on Saturday 04/27/2019

24 minutes ago, SAU3R said:

A friend of mine is a big U2 fan, saw them on every tour since Achtung Baby and after the concert in cologne in 2017 he said it was his last one because it felt like 'a lesson in politics' 

I like U2's music but Bono made me sell the tickets I had for their last tour (best choice I ever made) 

same as Roger Waters then. great musician but has political slogans all over the place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SAU3R said:

A friend of mine is a big U2 fan, saw them on every tour since Achtung Baby and after the concert in cologne in 2017 he said it was his last one because it felt like 'a lesson in politics' 

I like U2's music but Bono made me sell the tickets I had for their last tour (best choice I ever made) 

same here

Edited by Italian girl

2 hours ago, SAU3R said:

That's weird, man. I've never been to a U2 concert, but I can't imagine that his political statements or speeches (whether I'd agree with it or not) would ruin the music experience for me, unless his speeches are longer than the setlist, but I doubt that to be the case.

1 hour ago, donny said:

same as Roger Waters then. great musician but has political slogans all over the place. 

Yes. I cannot listen to Floyd/Waters much these days because of all of the hectoring to be honest, well that and them being pretentious studenty wankery. 

2 hours ago, donny said:

Roger got booed out of stage here in Brazil because of his little known in the political situation around and trying way too hard to SJW Brazillians. 

Everybody chanted "shut up and sing", he kept talking then got booed. 

Edited by default_
  • Like 1

I agree with most, if not all, of Waters core positions. But I will say that in his role as activist he is not as gifted as he is in his role as a songwriter. As mentioned, he doesn't always seem to do his homework and has a fairly surface analysis of the current events in the many cities he plays. But also its like him and Bono can feel the power and potential of these musical gatherings and so they do their best to harness the energy of the moment to inspire people. Thing is, often times their speeches are more didactic than inspirational. 

Im struggling to form my thought, but basically theres something to the "those who cant do, teach" thing. Like, actually inspire me to act rather then tell me that I should be inspired to act.

All that said, I saw The Wall tour 3 times and loved it and was inspired. I felt represented in the images of resistance. Only one incredibly brief talk. The music, lyrics and theatrics did all the messaging. At the intermission pictures of soldiers and civilians who'd been killed in the current and recent wars were projected onto the wall. During Another Brick, intercity children came out to sing the refrain. Who can argue with any of that.

And during the climax of Bring The Boys Back Home - a peak moment of the show - this Eisenhower quote was dramatically displayed, line by line, in synch with the music:

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."

Was very moving. And then Comfortably Numb played and, just, on with the show. I wouldnt change one thing about it. But he's so chatty and literal of late.

16 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

believe me, THEY ARE!

Haha... seriously? So you get, like, two hours of music, and three hours of Bono going on about the EU and Africa?

So The Simpsons got it right.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, default_ said:

Roger got booed out of stage here in Brazil because of his little known in the political situation around and trying way too hard to SJW Brazillians. 

Everybody chanted "shut up and sing", he kept talking then got booed. 

And 4 months later, Waters is right. Brazil is fucked up

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Why are we talking about U2?

Because they are a fine band and Bono is a wise man and you can only fill so many pages with a rumour about Slash going over to Axl's house.

I love how these threads devolve- How does the original topic of discussion (namely the delusional idea that new music from this band might well be on the horizon) mutate so drastically into bashing other completely unrelated bands (most of whom- like 'em or hate 'em- have at least put out more that 4.5 LP's of original material in the last 35 years ).

Oh yeah- coincidentally this is what Bob Dylan thought when he saw Axl sashay up to the mike in boxer briefs and combat boots demanding some reggae back in '92:

54 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I would sooner stick knitting needles into my ears than listen to U2 attempt to play music, or Bono pontificate.

tumblr_odwztgNZTW1vdixaao1_400.gif

3 hours ago, ChrisMaciel said:

And 4 months later, Waters is right. Brazil is fucked up

Its not about being right or wrong, we didnt pay to listen to his political statements so he should just shut the fuck up.

• Like 3