The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

4 hours ago, Sweersa said:

As promised, here's a quick photo of some CD-era singles.

vsjj2E.jpg

And a few random other gems from the collection:

98zBqE.jpg

pcIvzc.jpg

ZCESzP.jpg

fpzeyt.jpg

Thanks for posting!  Man I really wish they gave the green light on the three different album covers that red hand cover looks great

• Like 1

I don't understand why they can't get it together enough to do a live streamed show like other bands have been doing recently. I would happily pay for a ticket to watch that and I know a lot of other people would also. They could play some rare tracks that haven't been done regularly before and maybe a new one if they have it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I don't understand why they can't get it together enough to do a live streamed show like other bands have been doing recently. I would happily pay for a ticket to watch that and I know a lot of other people would also. They could play some rare tracks that haven't been done regularly before and maybe a new one if they have it.

Yup - would be a perfect opportunity to play random/new stuff in a comfortable environment without the pressure of doing a full show and all the bells and whistles that come with it. Even an acoustic show would be cool - reinterpret some stuff like MetallicA do for their acoustic gigs.

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I don't understand why they can't get it together enough to do a live streamed show like other bands have been doing recently. I would happily pay for a ticket to watch that and I know a lot of other people would also. 

I was just thinking the same

19 hours ago, Dean said:

Different strokes for different folks my good sir. I listen to Guns N' Roses for great riffs, phenomenal vocals and Pitman. Chinese offers it in buckets and some of the finest vocals that ginger bastard ever recorded. 

Half arsed promotion from the label and the length of time it took to finally get released hindered the strides it could have made across the world. I'm not saying it flopped or anything, but it should have had a greater impact than what it did and there was definitely a majority of casual fans of GN'R that never gave the record a chance due to the line up changes, some of my friends are an example of that. I was confronted with the look of utter disgust when I met one of them at university years ago when I answered Chinese Democracy after being asked what my favourite Guns record was. I asked if he had even listened to the record and he said "bits of it". He never did give it a chance, but loved Slash playing the Chinese stuff in Gothenburg in 2018. He was buzzing that he finally got to see Izzy Stradlin live - 4tus, the same guitarist he seen back in '06 in Stockholm :lol: I totally derailed that there, but a moment I reflect fondly on.

I was astonished how many 'fans' of the band seemed to know so little that I encountered on the NITL tour. They'd be there, decked out head to toe in GNR merchandise claiming to be 'obsessed with the band' then not even know really obvious things. It was almost like NITL flushed out all these weird people that needed something to latch on to. 

The weirdest I found was someone who thought that Slash had been in the band throughout! I never know what to say to these people, as I don't want to be the smart-arse prick, but find it difficult not to say something! 

I learnt my lesson in 2012 when I went to see them and in a bar near the venue there was a girl in a GNR shirt so I asked her if she was looking forward to the gig.....she had no idea that GNR were even still a band let alone playing a gig in the venue down the street. "Didn't they have that song in the 80s?" Following NITL she probably now lists herself as a "hardcore fan" in this world of self-imposed hyperbole we live in! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

I was astonished how many 'fans' of the band seemed to know so little that I encountered on the NITL tour. They'd be there, decked out head to toe in GNR merchandise claiming to be 'obsessed with the band' then not even know really obvious things. It was almost like NITL flushed out all these weird people that needed something to latch on to. 

The weirdest I found was someone who thought that Slash had been in the band throughout! I never know what to say to these people, as I don't want to be the smart-arse prick, but find it difficult not to say something! 

I learnt my lesson in 2012 when I went to see them and in a bar near the venue there was a girl in a GNR shirt so I asked her if she was looking forward to the gig.....she had no idea that GNR were even still a band let alone playing a gig in the venue down the street. "Didn't they have that song in the 80s?" Following NITL she probably now lists herself as a "hardcore fan" in this world of self-imposed hyperbole we live in! 

That is amazing haha. On the same trip, I went out to some cafe with my friend and his entourage and we were just chilling while I flicked through social media. Turned out that Frank was giving away drum skins or something about 5 minutes from where we were, we were in no rush but checked it out afterwards. He was away by the time we got there, but we bumped into this woman with her fella and she was acting like she'd just met Paul McCartney. Hyperventilating, struggling to contain her emotions etc and proceeded to tell us we'd just missed him. I told that story about my mate thinking he'd seen Stradlin but she didn't give a fuck and was still ecstatic at meeting Thunderchucker. Definitely a WTF moment!!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dean said:

That is amazing haha. On the same trip, I went out to some cafe with my friend and his entourage and we were just chilling while I flicked through social media. Turned out that Frank was giving away drum skins or something about 5 minutes from where we were, we were in no rush but checked it out afterwards. He was away by the time we got there, but we bumped into this woman with her fella and she was acting like she'd just met Paul McCartney. Hyperventilating, struggling to contain her emotions etc and proceeded to tell us we'd just missed him. I told that story about my mate thinking he'd seen Stradlin but she didn't give a fuck and was still ecstatic at meeting Thunderchucker. Definitely a WTF moment!!!

Haha! I can totally imagine! I'm not too sure where all these people have come from really. A lot of them are just oddly sweet and innocent and seem to have this image that the band are all super-cuddly, as if they're some sort of squeaky clean boyband and everything is a big fun love-in which baffles me. "Oh, Axl is so super-sweet with his dogs and we just LOVE following the McKagan family on Instagram" sort of thing, as if they've reinvented them in their minds to be what they want in life. 

I wonder what they make of the stories of the past; the women, drugs, behaviour etc, as well as the lyrics and stuff. It's like all these things are irrelevant to them as they make glittery heart-shaped pictures of Axl to stick on their shirts. 

Fucking bizarre all round! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

There was a 7" vinyl of Cd/Shackler's Revenge available in the UK too, if you pre-ordered from HMV. 

Looking back, it really is mad that it was never supported with a 'proper' single that received a big push. I can't see the logic in that one at all. 

Ha ha - that’s how I got my vinyl too...HMV preorder. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

Ha ha - that’s how I got my vinyl too...HMV preorder. 👍

I had the album pre-ordered for years from about 4 different sites. HMV, Virgin etc but due to the length of time, I had forgotten about them and ordered another copy. I got a copy delivered about 5 days before the release date, then 3 all came in the one go. Nice to know that I can now say it was HMV that gave me the 7" single :lol:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dean said:

I had the album pre-ordered for years from about 4 different sites. HMV, Virgin etc but due to the length of time, I had forgotten about them and ordered another copy. I got a copy delivered about 5 days before the release date, then 3 all came in the one go. Nice to know that I can now say it was HMV that gave me the 7" single :lol:

😂 - that’s hilarious...4 copies!! I recall heading to HMV to collect it....12 years ago....😖

• Sad 1

Anybody see the Steel panther thing where they'll record a personalised song for you for $7500?

My idea is to float this idea to Fernando, piece by piece send him the 2020 leaks and get the new album ... it's going to be expensive, but as far as I can see, it's the only way we can get them to release something! I dibs the rant at the fans song where Axl calls me a cunt😄 that's easily worth $7500. "Who's coming with me!?"

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, allwaystired said:

4 hours ago, Dean said:

I met a guy 2 years ago who claimed to be a huge Slash fan but was completely unaware that there was a new SMKC album coming out and that they were playing here in a month. Some fan...

Then I've mentioned my friend before who joined Nightrain to get tickets for the first London show. I told her there's no rush, they're going to announce a 2nd date (which they did the next day) and there's no advantage to joining Nightrain anyway as far as tickets go but she did it anyway. However for the SMKC London show she didn't rush like she should've and it ended up selling out. So stupid...

Edited by MaskingApathy
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Thanks for posting!  Man I really wish they gave the green light on the three different album covers that red hand cover looks great

Me too, I would have bought multiple of each like I did even with the boring bike cover. I think it would have sold better with the alt covers, they look sick. Imagine large advertising displays with the red hand and grenade. Killer artwork. 

11 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Me too, I would have bought multiple of each like I did even with the boring bike cover. I think it would have sold better with the alt covers, they look sick. Imagine large advertising displays with the red hand and grenade. Killer artwork. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Then I've mentioned my friend before who joined Nightrain to get tickets for the first London show. I told her there's no rush, they're going to announce a 2nd date (which they did the next day) and there's no advantage to joining Nightrain anyway as far as tickets go but she did it anyway. However for the SMKC London show she didn't rush like she should've and it ended up selling out. So stupid...

Hope your friend doesn’t read this forum, poor girl, who needs enemies eh :lol:

• Haha 2

They should take advantage of the fact that there won't be any touring in the foreseeable future and release a proper fucking Use Your Illusion III. Axl would nail it in the studio, and no one would be comparing it with live renditions at those 3-hour gigs, as there wouldn't be any. Throw in some good videos, promotion etc., and here we go!

20 hours ago, allwaystired said:

There was a 7" vinyl of Cd/Shackler's Revenge available in the UK too, if you pre-ordered from HMV. 

Looking back, it really is mad that it was never supported with a 'proper' single that received a big push. I can't see the logic in that one at all. 

Rock Band 2 gave the album some pretty big exposure; rhythm guitar gaming was huge at the time, and Harmonix (the developers) made sure to give Shackler's Revenge some special attention as being the long-awaited official debut of a song from Chinese Democracy.  

The band will always have a hard time pushing something new on the radio because they already have a massive backlog of hits that your typical rock station would rather put on rotation than something new and possibly polarizing.  I think I've only heard my local radio play SOYL once when the band was pushing it hard as a single, and this is a station that plays GNR like 15-20 times a day.

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

They should take advantage of the fact that there won't be any touring in the foreseeable future and release a proper fucking Use Your Illusion III. Axl would nail it in the studio, and no one would be comparing it with live renditions at those 3-hour gigs, as there wouldn't be any. Throw in some good videos, promotion etc., and here we go!

I agree. This is the perfect time to do it. But with Axl and Fernandon't in charge you know what will happen...

• GNFNR 1

4 hours ago, Gackt said:

Rock Band 2 gave the album some pretty big exposure; rhythm guitar gaming was huge at the time, and Harmonix (the developers) made sure to give Shackler's Revenge some special attention as being the long-awaited official debut of a song from Chinese Democracy.  

The band will always have a hard time pushing something new on the radio because they already have a massive backlog of hits that your typical rock station would rather put on rotation than something new and possibly polarizing.  I think I've only heard my local radio play SOYL once when the band was pushing it hard as a single, and this is a station that plays GNR like 15-20 times a day.

I think there is a demand. It's not huge but people will be interested in a similar way to 13 by black sabbath. Almost definitely a no 1 release on day 1, for up to 1-3 weeks... that's if they don't shit the bed.

Outside of oldies segments shows or classic rock specific radio shows, you never really hear gnr on the radio anymore (ireland). Then a few months after the afd boxster, I'm setting up for a gig and SOYL love is being played in the bar... it's a top 40 bar, definitely not a rock bar so I was very surprised!

12 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think there is a demand. It's not huge but people will be interested in a similar way to 13 by black sabbath. Almost definitely a no 1 release on day 1, for up to 1-3 weeks... that's if they don't shit the bed.

Outside of oldies segments shows or classic rock specific radio shows, you never really hear gnr on the radio anymore (ireland). Then a few months after the afd boxster, I'm setting up for a gig and SOYL love is being played in the bar... it's a top 40 bar, definitely not a rock bar so I was very surprised!

Regardless of what form it takes, it definitely will be a number 1....how long it’s there is another matter I guess. If 13 did well then GNR will blow it out the water.

A smart advertising campaign will help....If the record company is behind it then it will be massive. They weren’t behind CD but AFD LNL they were and the marketing behind that was good.

3 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Regardless of what form it takes, it definitely will be a number 1....how long it’s there is another matter I guess. If 13 did well then GNR will blow it out the water.

A smart advertising campaign will help....If the record company is behind it then it will be massive. They weren’t behind CD but AFD LNL they were and the marketing behind that was good.

How behind something can you be if the artist won't do interviews, release videos or go on tour? There's only so much they could do, and to be fair up to the release there was plenty of promotion for the record. It died off about a week after it came out, but I put most of that on the zero videos, interviews or shows.

That album should have been promoted with a storytellers mtv live or something. I would love to have heard the entire album played and talked through by Axl, that would have created some buzz and slowly eased people into the new sound.

Great album, but before it was released Axl should have been out there saying "this is a very different record to AFD and UYI" obviously they released Shacklers which was clearly a big left turn, and for anyone who was interested they had heard the few songs from the live shows between 99-06. One of the big head scratchers with the release was how they released the entire album on Myspace... why would they do that and still expect people to go out and buy it first week? 6 months after the release, fire it on Myspace, why not! but releasing in the same week the physical release was coming out? just crazy! 

Also... there's no guarantee GNRs management can pull off a release even half as well as Sharon Osbourne and Sabbaths label, I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out and it's mishandled. The only hope for the record is if GNRs label take control alongside whoever manages Slash.

Edited by Tom2112

14 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

How behind something can you be if the artist won't do interviews, release videos or go on tour? There's only so much they could do, and to be fair up to the release there was plenty of promotion for the record. It died off about a week after it came out, but I put most of that on the zero videos, interviews or shows.

That album should have been promoted with a storytellers mtv live or something. I would love to have heard the entire album played and talked through by Axl, that would have created some buzz and slowly eased people into the new sound.

Great album, but before it was released Axl should have been out there saying "this is a very different record to AFD and UYI" obviously they released Shacklers which was clearly a big left turn, and for anyone who was interested they had heard the few songs from the live shows between 99-06. One of the big head scratchers with the release was how they released the entire album on Myspace... why would they do that and still expect people to go out and buy it first week? 6 months after the release, fire it on Myspace, why not! but releasing in the same week the physical release was coming out? just crazy! 

Also... there's no guarantee GNRs management can pull off a release even half as well as Sharon Osbourne and Sabbaths label, I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out and it's mishandled. The only hope for the record is if GNRs label take control alongside whoever manages Slash.

From memory (others may shoot me down) the promotion here in the UK was almost non existent!

Clearly the fallout between Axl and the label prior to the release meant he wouldn’t play ball after which is bad as ultimately he suffers too. The MySpace thing was just plain weird!

With the other two in tow the label will back it....to be honest the GNR name/brand alone means it will be a success. Not the financial success it could have been if this had all happened about 10 years earlier but still a decent one.

Edited by DTJ80

6 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

From memory (others may shoot me down) the promotion here in the UK was almost non existent!

Clearly the fallout between Axl and the label prior to the release meant he wouldn’t play ball after which is bad as ultimately he suffers too. The MySpace thing was just plain weird!

With the other two in tow the label will back it....to be honest the GNR name/brand alone means it will be a success. Not the financial success it could have been if this had all happened about 10 years earlier but still a decent one.

Yeah there seemed to be nothing in the UK. I can't remember seeing anything at all. It got to number 2 in the album charts in it's first week then quickly plummeted. 

28 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

It wasn't crazy in Ireland either, I think it had it's own display in HMV but I could be wrong it's been a long time since GNR released that (an) album😄

22 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah there seemed to be nothing in the UK. I can't remember seeing anything at all. It got to number 2 in the album charts in it's first week then quickly plummeted. 

I think had they sent a few songs to radio like Chinese with a radio edit cutting the intro... then they could have hung in there for another week in the top ten... they didn't and the album died a death! It was a game of chicken and nobody was really winning from the stalemate! Axl lost most because he spent 10yrs making a record that a lot of people didn't even hear.

• Like 1