The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

Just now, Pele said:

I don't have it but I read it recently.

It didn't really have much info.  It just said something like "not only have GNR finished their long awaited album Chinese Democracy, but they have recorded the follow up, which will be released the following year and called PRL"

It also said Chinese Democracy would have a song about child abuse, which is thought to be The General.

What was the publication? A Brazilian outlet, I assume?

40 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

And you think there will be less helium in his voice now? All evidence in live performance would suggest that the helium is worse now than it was 20 years ago. 

I'm hoping there was another vocal take he did some time after 99 and before 2017.

1 minute ago, betterman said:

Noone here remember Axl interviewed at the Korn party around 06/07?

He said then that they had completed 28 of 32 songs, I believe he was referring them as complete including vocals.

There is a lot of stuff in the vault

32 Songs minus 14 Songs from Chinese Democracy would still make 18 songs for a new album. 

Good to hear. 

1 hour ago, Pele said:

Why does Slash recording a solo over Silkworms make it more likely Axl Rose has written and recorded an albums worth of new material.

Of course he hasn't.

Well I mean believe whatever you like but we've heard a lot of music that had finished or near finished vocals, and we've heard about gnr and Axl recording a lot between 00-2012. I have no doubt that he at the minimum has 10 songs he could release tomorrow. It's incredibly unlikely Atlas, Perhaps, hardschool and state of Grace are the only songs outside of the original Chinese album that he cut vocals for. Unlikely but who knows!

14 minutes ago, betterman said:

Noone here remember Axl interviewed at the Korn party around 06/07?

He said then that they had completed 28 of 32 songs, I believe he was referring them as complete including vocals.

There is a lot of stuff in the vault

No I remember that.

I think he was lying.

I think he had about 32 demos, almost one of which complete.

I'm sure someone made a comprehensive list based on the Village Tapes - and counted every instrumental like Curly Shuffle and D-Tune etc and got to 32!

1 minute ago, Pele said:

No I remember that.

I think he was lying.

I'm sure someone made a comprehensive list based on the Village Tapes - and counted every instrumental like Curly Shuffle and D-Tune etc and got to 32!

Yes its of course likely that these songs were worked on further and then completed in 06/07

D tune is fantastic

4 minutes ago, betterman said:

Exactly - another article saying they have a load of songs but only mentioning 2 from the 99/00 sessions (Going Down/Atlas)

Pretty much everything comes from those.

3 minutes ago, betterman said:

Yes its of course likely that these songs were worked on further and then completed in 06/07

D tune is fantastic

I think it's far more likely they were left untouched.

Hence him having to release Silkworms rather than actually write/sing new stuff.

7 minutes ago, Pele said:

No I remember that.

I think he was lying.

We just heard the demos from 1999 and 2001 because of an accident. Nothing since then is available. Which means that Axl could have completed those unfinished demos until 2006/07.

12 minutes ago, Pele said:

Exactly - another article saying they have a load of songs but only mentioning 2 from the 99/00 sessions (Going Down/Atlas)

Pretty much everything comes from those.

I think it's far more likely they were left untouched.

Hence him having to release Silkworms rather than actually write/sing new stuff.

As crazy as it sounds, I think Axl just really likes Silkworms. It was one of the first new songs he debuted with NuGNR and the first new song he debuted with the reunion lineup when they could’ve done Hardschool instead.

Edited by LlamaRenegade
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sosso said:

We just heard the demos from 1999 and 2001 because of an accident. Nothing since then is available. Which means that Axl could have completed those unfinished demos until 2006/07.

I think we heard those demos because that's pretty much all that was recorded.

Edited by Pele

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

That's your assumption and nothing based on facts. 

I know.

1 album in 25 years, with a brand new single coming straight from those famous sessions concludes it for me.

Time will tell.

Either you'll be right and there will be a load of new songs with full vocal, or I'll be right and we'll get HardSkool with 99 vocal and a Slash solo pasted on if we are lucky and little else.

1 minute ago, Pele said:

I know.

1 album in 25 years, with a brand new single coming straight from those famous sessions concludes it for me.

Time will tell.

Either you'll be right and there will be a load of new songs with full vocal, or I'll be right and we'll get HardSkool with 99 vocal and a Slash solo pasted on if we are lucky and little else.

Again, I'm pretty sure that we will get both. CDII material AND new songs. 

2 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Again, I'm pretty sure that we will get both. CDII material AND new songs. 

Honestly, I hope you're right and we get plenty of new material.

I think we'll get Atlas Shrugged 99 vocal lol

14 hours ago, MildlyArtistic said:

I certainly hope any new album has some new tracks that aren't CD leftovers. As much as I'm enjoying Absurd, I want to hear a modern GNR song where Slash and Duff have actual input on the songwriting. 

Same, and I think we'll get it too.

10 hours ago, jekylhyde said:

Then again, considering Slash's affinity to all things weird and Duff being Punk as Fuck™, they too might have gotten a big kick out of releasing such a non-Gn'R -sounding song as the first "new" song by the reunion lineup :shrugs:

For sure

7 hours ago, Sosso said:

I saw the live footage and you can't tell me that Slash wasn't excited about playing the song. 

It's like his imagination described in a song :lol: But I think he really digs those guitar parts too.

I was listening to some of those demo/leaks just now and some of them would make really cool EDM songs. Maybe he should've explored being a DJ for a little while. But if they updated the production to today's standards a few of those songs would fit right in with current electronic music. Some new modern rock is incorporating EDM elements now too.

2 hours ago, Pele said:

You're right, I didn't know State of Grace or Perhaps existed.

I was fairly certain 'The Vault' consisted of Chinese Democracy, maybe 3-4 more songs, and a load of instrumental demos and I believe I was completely right about that.

It's funny though.  All these 'insiders' we've had over the years and not one of them mentioned State of Grace - or knew that Checkmate was actually called 'Hard Skool'.

The article from 2003 that claimed the follow up to Chinese Democracy is already recorded and will be called "PRL" is obviously very interesting 20 years later!

I wonder what PRL means.

Laughable "I knew all along" is easy to say after we all heard the village leaks. Maybe there is only 4 songs with vocals with the rest being instrumental... But you seem to forget Axl has a studio in his house, what is the liklihood of Axl working on backing tracks for the past 20yrs and never even recording a basic vocal over at least a few. You also forget that several people have talked about other songs they've heard that were what Axl considered finished... The general is a title that was mentioned for one, already we're up to 5 songs. If he decided and was motivated he could write and record vocals in a short space of time like he did in the early 00s. 

9 hours ago, bassplayer1993 said:

Totally agree with this. I want the exact same thing. I even regret hearing the leaks at times, I'm afraid they killed a bit of the excitement, as we possibly may know the contents of the upcoming release, in a much earlier and less finished form. I hope there's new stuff there and that apart from the CD leftovers they really did put some effort into it. Absurd is so absurd it's hard to have an opinion about it right now.

I basically had CD "ruined" for me because I heard leaks of like 2/3 of the album before it came out. With this band, it's impossible not to listen when theyre in front of you because you never know if you'll ever actually hear it finished.

• Like 2