The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

17 minutes ago, Pele said:

I'd respectfully disagree.  HardSkool and Silkworms are still the same song in essence.  Silkworms sounds exactly like what it is - a demo given to a guitarist to riff over.   It's the same song.

HardSkool too.  It's exactly the same - the intro has gone, the solo has changed but it's the same song.  You could now give it to another guitarist and get the same result - same song with different intro and solo.

:lol:

Josh Freese didn't even recognize HS when he listened to it, even though he played on the Village demo (but apparently left before Axl recorded vocals to it).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Who gives a remote shit as to the lineage of music prior to if/when it gets released?

The quality of the songs should matter more than anything. A Different Kind of Truth is one of my favorite Van Halen albums. A lot of the material from it was ages old, then re-worked. I never sit around listening to that album thinking "boy, I like this song but I'd sure like it a lot more if hadn't been so old when they recorded it". 

My main concern is just never getting more GN'R material at all. I'd love for them to release more studio material that I like, regardless of whenever any of it was recorded. 

I'll just think of it like what The Beatles did with Free as a bird and Real Love. Only with GN'R it's a full album(if not single releases every tour) and oh Axl is alive when they did it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Who gives a remote shit as to the lineage of music prior to if/when it gets released?

The quality of the songs should matter more than anything. A Different Kind of Truth is one of my favorite Van Halen albums. A lot of the material from it was ages old, then re-worked. I never sit around listening to that album thinking "boy, I like this song but I'd sure like it a lot more if hadn't been so old when they recorded it". 

My main concern is just never getting more GN'R material at all. I'd love for them to release more studio material that I like, regardless of whenever any of it was recorded. 

Certainly not me.

If they release an album of 12-14 good songs, with vocals/music pulled from various sessions over the last two decades, I'd be more than happy with that!

They won't though.

19 minutes ago, GoForJMark said:

I'll just think of it like what The Beatles did with Free as a bird and Real Love. Only with GN'R it's a full album(if not single releases every tour) and oh Axl is alive when they did it. 

That is exactly what is happening.

They have resorted to creating songs around vocals Rose has recorded decades prior.

1 hour ago, gavgnr said:

There’s been many reports of Axl playing many completed unreleased tracks whilst visiting night clubs in the early hours. 

All speculation.  No proof.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Pele said:

Certainly not me.

If they release an album of 12-14 good songs, with vocals/music pulled from various sessions over the last two decades, I'd be more than happy with that!

They won't though.

That is exactly what is happening.

They have resorted to creating songs around vocals Rose has recorded decades prior.

All speculation.  No proof.

Why do you talk with such certainty that no vocally-completed songs exist outside of the ones leaked on the Village demos? You have no way of knowing if this is true. We know for a fact that Axl continued recording vocals beyond 1999, Shacklers Revenge was recorded as late as 2002-2006. And didn't Axl talk about recording some vocals over Christmas one year for a track... was it Soul Monster or Seven? I can't recall which one, but he spoke about it in the 2009 MyGNR chats. 

None of us even knew songs like Perhaps, Eye on You and State of Grace existed before the Village demos leaked. You have no way of knowing what else Axl has lying around that is vocally completed.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Exactly. I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that I liked Absurb and HS, despite its godawful mix is still a good song. 

So if/when they decide to release more songs, great! As long as I like the songs, then that's good by me. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Why do you talk with such certainty that no vocally-completed songs exist outside of the ones leaked on the Village demos? You have no way of knowing if this is true. We know for a fact that Axl continued recording vocals beyond 1999, Shacklers Revenge was recorded as late as 2002-2006. And didn't Axl talk about recording some vocals over Christmas one year for a track... was it Soul Monster or Seven? I can't recall which one, but he spoke about it in the 2009 MyGNR chats. 

None of us even knew songs like Perhaps, Eye on You and State of Grace existed before the Village demos leaked. You have no way of knowing what else Axl has lying around that is vocally completed.

We've been through all of this.  I'm fully aware there were 05-06 sessions.

Even in ten years time, when the only other released songs ended up being Atlas, Perhaps and The General, the same people will be telling me I'm wrong and that the new album 'makes sense' in Spring 2031, and that he must have new songs because he told people he sung Soul Monster at Christmas one time.

• Like 2

Just now, Pele said:

Even in ten years time, when the only other released songs ended up being Atlas, Perhaps and The General, the same people will be telling me I'm wrong and that the new album 'makes sense' in Spring 2031, and that he must have new songs because he told people he sung Soul Monster at Christmas one time.

So Axl was lying about singing Soul Monster at Christmas?

6 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Of course, unless he meant christmas 1999. But, since there weren't vocals on the Village demo, obviously he never recorded vocals...

Funny that Pele seems so confident in his opinions but keeps calling Zodiac a Buckethead instrumental. Hey, if WFA said it, it must be true! :rolleyes:

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Pele said:

You didn't answer his question. 

5 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

I’ll take a reworked album at this point because it seems that’s all we have to reasonably maybe expect. With that said, this is all depressing to me.  They got back together 5 years ago when Axl theoretically still had some lead left in the pencil. He’s months away from 60 and they haven’t even tried writing or recording new music.  One of the greatest rock bands ever essentially wasted 20 years of their prime..then finally kinda got back together and wasted 5+ years of that regarding new tunes. At this point not only is it unlikely to change but it’s probably too late anyways for anything worthwhile. Axl can barely pull off half the live set let alone create cool new shit assuming he even had the desire to try. Like I mentioned earlier…F’ing depressing. 

That’s the issue. Even if he didn’t have writers block and started hammering out lyrics to “a lot” of these instrumentals. How in the world would he be able to perform these songs live? Look at HardSkool. 

I’m giving up hope of a new album ever from this band. I think we will continue to see 1-2 songs per tour until they retire. At best an EP for the next tour. 

Motley has done this for years with the exception of the Saints album. Difference is they put out an album in their early 40s not 60s.

Sad Sad reality for GNR

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Probably yes.  Like when he lied about a trilogy of albums.

I think at best, he did some scratch vocal ideas - about as far as he got with Quick Song.  I very much doubt the song has completed lyrics/vocals.

What I am certain is that it will never be released.  I believe it to be incomplete.

42 minutes ago, tommyrai said:

What about State of Grace? There just seems more songs that have been talked about with vocal? Could going down be with duff?

Some believe State of Grace to have been re-worked into The General. 

I believe State of Grace was completely abandoned.  

I think it's a real shame as it's a great song and would have been a standout on Chinese.

I don't know why he would have abandoned it.  Only speculation is was completely written by someone else.  It doesn't sound like a typical Rose song, but it does fit his lyrical theme (someone has betrayed me, it's all someone else's fault etc) 

• ABSUЯD 1

38 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

State Of Grace has "unfinished vocals" because Pele can't understand the lyrics, so it doesn't count.

It's obvious to most they are unfinished and he's mumbling some potential placeholder words prior to lyrical completion.

Do you think that was the intended final vocal take?

Even I would give him more respect than that!

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Can you provide me with the quote where Axl says he has three finished albums?

Here are quotes from his saying he is working on two records: (2) 22. NOVEMBER 1999-JANUARY 2001: LINEUP TURMOIL BUT A TRIUMPHAL RETURN (a-4-d.com)

Please provide me with the quote where I said he claims to have 3 finished albums?

1 minute ago, Pele said:

It's obvious to most they are unfinished and he's mumbling some potential placeholder words prior to lyrical completion.

Do you think that was the intended final vocal take?

Even I would give him more respect than that!

Please provide me with the quote where I said he claims to have 3 finished albums?

So what was Axl's lie regarding three albums?

2 minutes ago, Pele said:

Didn't he mention a trilogy?

You tell me. You said Axl lies about a trilogy. What was the lie?

2 minutes ago, Pele said:

What did I miss?

You didn't answer how you can be so sure Axl hasn't recorded anything post 1999 that we haven't heard (of). That we happen to have heard everything he has recorded after this date. What a remarkable coincidence!

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You tell me. You said Axl lies about a trilogy. What was the lie?

I've addressed the 'lie'.

Rose was telling people he was planning a trilogy, it didn't happen.

Was it a lie.  Probably not.  Plans change, he probably was planning a trilogy, in 99-00 when he had 10 songs and a ton of instrumentals to get to work on.

Did he record vocals for Soul Monster.  Maybe - maybe the same way he recorded 'vocals' for Quick Song.

Do I believe Soul Monster exists as a full song.  Absolutely not.

Do you believe it exists as a full song?  If yes, when do you think you might hear it?

Edited by Pele

Just now, Pele said:

I've addressed the 'lie'.

Rose was telling people he was planning a trilogy, it didn't happen.

Was it a lie.  Probably not. 

Okay, so you admit he didn't lie about a trilogy. Cool.

1 minute ago, Pele said:

Do you believe it exists as a full song?  If yes, when do you think you might hear it?

Since he talked about adding vocals to parts of the song it is likely he recorded vocals for the entire song, and since Axl's vocals are always the last thing to add, them yes, I am convinced a complete version of the song exists in the vault. It is just logical.

I have absolutely no idea when I might hear it. No idea. Maybe it is one that Slash and Duff has worked on and will be released perhaps in 2022. Maybe not. 

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Okay, so you admit he didn't lie about a trilogy. Cool.

Since he talked about adding vocals to parts of the song it is likely he recorded vocals for the entire song, and since Axl's vocals are always the last thing to add, them yes, I am convinced a complete version of the song exists in the vault. It is just logical.

I have absolutely no idea when I might hear it. No idea. Maybe it is one that Slash and Duff has worked on and will be released perhaps in 2022. Maybe not. 

Apparently he told Bach that it was a trilogy.  Tom Zutaut also said it was a trilogy.

It didn't end up being a trilogy.  It's open to interpretation weather he lied or just changed his mind.  Personally, I believe he intended it to be so, then stopped working on it.

Either way, it appears he was telling people it was going to be a trilogy and it wasn't.

If you're convinced a full Soul Monster exists, good for you.  I guess you're looking forward to hearing it on the 'new album'.

And you have no cut off point accepting that this 'album' doesn't exist?  You'll go to your grave thinking Rose recorded this.  Cool.