The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

12 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

“But the fun part and the cool part about Guns N' Roses is we don't really talk about it, and what happens next just happens“

Says it all really 😐

Exactly.  More vague wordplay absolving them of any promise to release an album.  He, like Slash, knows nothing is forthcoming.

It's like they've both been briefed and taken lessons in how to answer the question.

12 minutes ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

This band isn’t a band.

This is a brand. It’s embarrassing. It really is. The locker leaks were a highlight. The whole “we play it cool as long and there’s no concrete plans” style isn’t cutting it. The brainwashed masses of fans are slowly turning. The insane ones aren’t, they’ll always post “ZOMG AXEL IS DA BESTEST YAYAYAYA” which made me vomit as I typed it.

I posted a thread saying “are you done with this band” and might revive it to see if opinion has changed.

Exactly.

We still get the usual suspects here who say I'm wrong, and think their prince is going to deliver a batch of new songs, with new words and new vocals.

1 hour ago, Pele said:

I don't know.

I think it's a great song.

I have pondered it may have been abandoned as it may have been written entirely by somebody else, but that's pure speculation.

Some think it was re-worked into The General.

Someone else being... Robin? Dizzy? A ghost writer? Did Rose not write his own lyrics?

There's no reason to believe it was re-worked into the General, from what we know about the song.

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Maybe there are writing credits in the booklet of the physical release in february as well as information about who played what. 

I doubt there will be a booklet. It will probably just be a slipcase, or maybe a digipak thing.

• Like 1

I really don't know why nor understand how some can be so negative. If you know anything about the history of GNR, you would realize that songs which were previously recorded were shelved only to appear on an album years later.  Don't Cry, Anything Goes, Bad Obsession, You Could Be Mine etc were previously written. I'm looking forward to to Slash and Duff reworking some of the CD II songs and hearing them. 

• Like 2

It does seem that Guns is now just a moneymaker for these guys. Slash and Duff get their creative needs met through other outlets. They come back to Guns for a payday and, probably, because it’s fun to headline in arenas/stadiums as opposed to clubs and theaters. The new songs are promotional tool  for a tour, rather than creative pursuits.

But I’m fine with that. I don’t mind CD2 songs with Slash and Duff - to my ears, they both drastically improved Absurd and Hard Skool, and an entire album of that is something I can live with and even enjoy.

The problem is both Absurd/Silk Worms and Hard Skool were the closest thing available to complete songs. If Pele is right (and as hard as that is for some of you to believe, it seems like he might be) and the only songs with vocals are the ones on the Village Leaks, then this band is in trouble because Absurd and Hard Skool were the only unreleased songs worth a damn.

Atlas Shrugged is dreadful. Everyone seems intrigued by Perhaps, but I hear a boring, tuneless dirge with no memorable melody at all. State of Grace is the same thing - nothing worthwhile, just a “death-by-mid tempo” plodder lacking anything even resembling a catchy melody. It sounds like stock music that a basic cable detective procedural would use for a strip club scene. Not good.

Zodiac is just bland, late 90s/early 2000s hard rock riffage.

The intro riff to Quicksong sounds at least somewhat menacing, but then it quickly resolves to that boring verse riff that just never ends and the song loses all momentum.

Circus Maximus, to my ears, is at least moody enough to be interesting but without any vocals, who knows?

My point is that I *really* hope there’s stuff we haven’t heard yet that Slash and Duff are polishing up, because I don’t hear anything else on the Village leaks that’s worth releasing unless there’s been *severe* retooling on Axl’s end as well.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

It does seem that Guns is now just a moneymaker for these guys. Slash and Duff get their creative needs met through other outlets. They come back to Guns for a payday and, probably, because it’s fun to headline in arenas/stadiums as opposed to clubs and theaters. The new songs are promotional tool  for a tour, rather than creative pursuits.

But I’m fine with that. I don’t mind CD2 songs with Slash and Duff - to my ears, they both drastically improved Absurd and Hard Skool, and an entire album of that is something I can live with and even enjoy.

The problem is both Absurd/Silk Worms and Hard Skool were the closest thing available to complete songs. If Pele is right (and as hard as that is for some of you to believe, it seems like he might be) and the only songs with vocals are the ones on the Village Leaks, then this band is in trouble because Absurd and Hard Skool were the only unreleased songs worth a damn.

Atlas Shrugged is dreadful. Everyone seems intrigued by Perhaps, but I hear a boring, tuneless dirge with no memorable melody at all. State of Grace is the same thing - nothing worthwhile, just a “death-by-mid tempo” plodder lacking anything even resembling a catchy melody. It sounds like stock music that a basic cable detective procedural would use for a strip club scene. Not good.

Zodiac is just bland, late 90s/early 2000s hard rock riffage.

The intro riff to Quicksong sounds at least somewhat menacing, but then it quickly resolves to that boring verse riff that just never ends and the song loses all momentum.

Circus Maximus, to my ears, is at least moody enough to be interesting but without any vocals, who knows?

My point is that I *really* hope there’s stuff we haven’t heard yet that Slash and Duff are polishing up, because I don’t hear anything else on the Village leaks that’s worth releasing unless there’s been *severe* retooling on Axl’s end as well.

This guy understands!

Disagree about State of Grace though - I think it had massive potential.

47 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Someone else being... Robin? Dizzy? A ghost writer? Did Rose not write his own lyrics?

There's no reason to believe it was re-worked into the General, from what we know about the song.

I doubt there will be a booklet. It will probably just be a slipcase, or maybe a digipak thing.

No clue really.  Maybe Paul Huge, maybe Darren Reid.  I've only pondered it as to me it had great potential and was seemingly abandoned early.

The likelihood is Rose wrote the lyrics but decided not to pursue it any further.

His judgement in these matters is prolifically bad so I guess it's no surprise he shelved it and continued to develop Silkworms over and over.

I just don't think he ever got round to laying down a use-able vocal.

50 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

In case someone didn't notice, the Duff interview is from early 2019. They were vague until then, because they hadn't really done anything. Two months after that Duff interview, during a SMKC tour break, Slash went to Axl's home studio and that's when they started doing something (and also Slash started getting more specific in interviews).

Looking back at all the interviews, the timeline is pretty clear - in fact, it's been clear all along, but rumours, hopes, impatience and disbelief didn't allow to read things for what they were. Slash's tour ended in Sept. 2019, then there was a short GnR leg, and it was after that that they focused on reworking Axl's songs. At least some of that (at least the two songs that have been released) had apparently been ready in early 2020 and they were meant to be released during that tour.

Ok.  And now Slash has specifically said there are no new songs.

He claims they have worked on 'a lot' of old material.

We'll see over the years what his interpretation of 'a lot' is.  I think they did 4.  Maybe 5.

The hilarious thing is - if Rose releases ONE song that I've categorically claimed I believe does not exist, all of my opinions/claims become immediately worthless.  All it takes is ONE.  Yet it will never happen.

6 minutes ago, Pele said:

No clue really.  Maybe Paul Huge, maybe Darren Reid.  I've only pondered it as to me it had great potential and was seemingly abandoned early.

The likelihood is Rose wrote the lyrics but decided not to pursue it any further.

His judgement in these matters is prolifically bad so I guess it's no surprise he shelved it and continued to develop Silkworms over and over.

I just don't think he ever got round to laying down a use-able vocal.

What makes it seem like it was abandoned? Because it wasn't mentioned with titles like Atlas or The General? Nobody ever mentioned Hardschool either but it became a single.

We're talking about the guy who released Scraped and Absurd... he could very well believe the 2000 demo had usable vocals, and if not, he'll edit the track until it's usable. :lol:

25 minutes ago, Pele said:

The hilarious thing is - if Rose releases ONE song that I've categorically claimed I believe does not exist, all of my opinions/claims become immediately worthless.  All it takes is ONE.  Yet it will never happen.

And what you have categorically claimed is that no other unreleased original song exists with completed vocals except Atlas, Perhaps and the General, so the only original songs that may be ever released are these three, correct?

Just now, Blackstar said:

And what you have categorically claimed is that no other unreleased original song exists with completed vocals except Atlas, Perhaps and the General, so the only original songs that may be ever released are these three, correct?

And OMG

Just now, Pele said:

And OMG

Yeah, okay. I was only referring to original unreleased songs (so no covers or previously officially released songs included). So, to rephrase: your claim is that the only "new" original songs that exist with completed vocals and will ever be released are Atlas, Perhaps and the General.

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, okay. I was only referring to original unreleased songs (so no covers or previously officially released songs included). So, to rephrase: your claim is that the only "new" original songs that exist with completed vocals and will ever be released are Atlas, Perhaps and the General.

There are some nuances and complexities to my claim - which I don't want to dwell on as I know I'.ll get accused of completely changing the goalposts.

More details to follow...

(typing now)

There was some recording done in 1996. 

Rose put together a band consisting of Paul Huge, Darren Reid, Syd Riggs and Kris Baratto - and similar to the way Freese/Buckethead/Robin/Brain created music for him for Chinese, those guys did that for him in 1996.

Rose didn't attend any of those sessions.  Paul led them, and took the results to Rose for further work.

Slash had left Dec 95, but was back in the fold mid-96.  Several rehearsals took place.  Rose barely showed up and when he did show up, he never sang.

I do concede that there were likely some demos done in 96.  Music by Huge/Reid/Riggs/Baratto, lyrics by Rose.  Recorded and reworked by Slash/Huge/Duff/Reid - with the possiblilty of Rose's demo vocal placed back over.  Almost identical process to Silkworms/HardSkool 25 years later.

It's my belief that is is unlikely to be anything complete and useable - but I admit there may be a song or two.

What I do categorically state is that it's my belief that none of the following songs were completed, and you will not hear any fully developed version on any future release.

PRL / Mustache / QuickSong / Zodiac / Tonto / Real Doll / Me & My Elvis / Soul Monster / Circus Maximus / Seven / D-Tune / Curly Shuffle / Nothing / As It Began / Thyme / Leave Me Alone / The Rebel / Billionaire / Dub Suplex / Devious Bastard / Dummy / Cuban Skies

Edited by Pele

2 minutes ago, GoForJMark said:

You're one of those people who created a lie/story just to pleasure themselves at first... but then you started to believe them and started making branches of new lies and stories.

respect for the creativity, thumbsdown for the BS

Well that lie will be exposed if any of the above 20 songs surface won't it?

• ABSUЯD 1

8 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Who are these people (outside of Paul)?

They were Dizzy's friends. Sid Riggs was the drummer in Dizzy's first band (the one that was rehearsing next to GnR in 1985-86) and bass player Krys Baratto was in another band with Riggs. They weren't there exactly to write songs for Axl, like @Pele says (although Riggs has a writing credit for Oh My God), but to lay down drums and bass respectively to existing demos (probably stuff Axl was writing with Paul and Dizzy) while Matt and Duff were busy with the Neurotic Outsiders. They were there from 1995 until some point in 1997 (they were the ones, along with Dizzy, who "jammed" with Shaq).

Here is what Krys Baratto has said:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5018-19-december-1994-october-1996-axl-and-slash-fights-slash-quits#20209

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

2 hours ago, Pele said:

Well that lie will be exposed if any of the above 20 songs surface won't it?

I think it would go some way to helping your credibility if you elaborated on WHY you believe that. You always talk as if you are privy to something the rest of us aren't, but then turn around and use phrases like "I believe" etc. Cut the bullshit - are you claiming to have inside knowledge or not?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

They were Dizzy's friends. Sid Riggs was the drummer in Dizzy's first band (the one that was rehearsing next to GnR in 1985-86) and bass player Krys Baratto was in another band with Riggs. They weren't there exactly to write songs for Axl, like @Pele says (although Riggs has a writing credit for Oh My God), but to lay down drums and bass respectively to existing demos (probably stuff Axl was writing with Paul and Dizzy) while Matt and Duff were busy with the Neurotic Outsiders. They were there from 1995 until some point in 1997 (they were the ones, along with Dizzy, who "jammed" with Shaq).

Here is what Krys Baratto has said:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5018-19-december-1994-october-1996-axl-and-slash-fights-slash-quits#20209

These two quotes from Krys Baratto (from the link above) are particularly interesting:

"The people involved were plenty...Slash, Zack Wylde, I think Izzy. At that time the music was kinda of in the way of Illusions but changed many times as players came in from like Pearl Jam, Nine Inch Nails...." [Krys Baratto, personal communication, August 29, 2020]

"We would record songs, get them to Axle, he say "keep this, change that" then we would. After he got what he wanted then he'd do vocals" [Krys Baratto, personal communication, August 29, 2020]

The "players from Pearl Jam and Nine Inch Nails" he's referring to were apparently Dave Abbruzzese and Chris Vrenna, who were involved after Matt left in April 1997. So what he says is that the songs they were working on in 1995/96 sounded more like the Illusions and then the direction changed after Slash left.

• Like 1

To me it is dissapointing that it sounds like the only stuff we will be getting is "Slash and Duff re-record over 20 year old stuff".  There really is something to be said for new songs fully recorded at the time of writing, and I think that it is a shame that a band known for that is no longer operating in a way that serves the music at hand.

For rock music, I want a rock band being a rock band.  Not a couple of rock musicians re-recording over a 20 year old recording and modifying those recordings in a Frankensteined way

I don't mind if they use Axl's old CD era material - just be an actual band and record the rhythm tracks and overdubber tracks like an actual live rock n' roll band

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Even if it's just a peace of paper. I think there will be some information about the two studio releases as well as information about the two live recordings.