The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

Just now, Blackstar said:

@Voodoochild said that in Brazil when they say "cd" they mean album. Beta was replying to a comment in Portuguese.

As always, I would love to be wrong. 

Personally, I always mean "album" whenever I say "CD" or "record". I just pointing out that it would be very easy for them to say "she said it'll be on the CD and it's on a CD" 

7 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Hey... you made me accidentally read his comment this way. Haha. Is he still reacting to my posts even though I have him on ignore for ages now? Oh my, I'm honored!

Imagine being this full of yourself. 

Reacting to a bullshit post is very easy for most of us regardless of who posted the bullshit in question. Nothing to do with one user in particular :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Personally, I always mean "album" whenever I say "CD" or "record". I just pointing out that it would be very easy for them to say "she said it'll be on the CD and it's on a CD" 

I don’t think Beta is capable of being cagey with fans lol…I’m sure when she wrote that she figured an album was coming but who knows now. 

45 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Beta said "it's on the CD" with regard to Absurd. 

They're releasing a 4 song CD with Absurd on it. 

Yeah, I think this is what she meant, I'm personally expecting nothing and will be happy if something comes. Even if they had plans I doubt they'll be the same by the time the next tour comes around lol.

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 2

Being a GNR fan right now is having to eat the twisted logic they’re slinging as to why 1+1=0.  And if you can’t do the mental gymnastics it takes to understand why these singles didn’t necessarily mean an album was coming, you’re somehow a detractor who will likely never be satisfied. No middle ground. Yeesh.

• Like 1

The case for an album - the band have recently released two singles which Beta then confirmed will appear on a CD next year. To which the band then announced a pending EP. But a Brazilian poster said that in Brazil, 'CD' actually means 'album', whereas everywhere else in the world it generally means, eh, 'CD'. Susan McKagan confirmed on her social media years ago that an album is being worked on. There are gaps in the ISRC database for recent GNR entries. 

Clearly the band have worked on some stuff otherwise we wouldn't have the pending EP. But forgive me if I have missed the big ass smoking gun here... this is hardly rock solid compelling evidence! I'll echo Russ' comments... I hope I'm wrong. But fuck a duck, this is clutching at straws! Anybody got a number for Mystic Meg?

• Like 2

I still think there will be an album. But I can't get excited about it since Slash crushed all hope that it will contain anything else than warmed up Chinese leftovers. They're just not a real band anymore and now we know that won't change ever again. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I still think there will be an album. But I can't get excited about it since Slash crushed all hope that it will contain anything else than warmed up Chinese leftovers. They're just not a real band anymore and now we know that won't change ever again. 

Aye, that's likely a fair way of putting it to be honest. :)

8 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Being a GNR fan right now is having to eat the twisted logic they’re slinging as to why 1+1=0.  And if you can’t do the mental gymnastics it takes to understand why these singles didn’t necessarily mean an album was coming, you’re somehow a detractor who will likely never be satisfied. No middle ground. Yeesh.

That mentality has always been around, but it used to be a small minority who had that attitude. 

Back in the day (literally 20 years ago) when there were like 6 or so very popular GN'R forums, there were specific forums where you were only allowed to say positive things about the band. 

I'm not even talking about one in particular, there were more than a few like that. I had no problem posting at places like that because back then there was at least hope that something would happen someday. 

Nowadays, there's really only a very few GN'R forums left for more than a few obvious reasons. So everybody kind of has to gather under one or two umbrellas if they want to post on a GN'R forum. 

I'm all for being positive about GN'R and I believe I've proven that over and over again. One need only visit the Detroit 2021 show thread to see evidence. 

However, it seems that the less GN'R do with respect to new music, the less you're allowed to say anything critical or question anything. You just get labeled negative or a hater. There's really no in between which is frustrating. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Yes, we've got lost in semantics between languages here :lol:

In my country, for example, we don't say "CD" to refer to an album (we use it only in reference to the format). We either say "album" or the Greek word for "record."

But I've seen a few articles in Portuguese (including interviews with Beta) and they refer to albums as "CD's" or "discs". For example, Beta had called Chinese Democracy "the new CD".

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

But I've seen a few articles in Portuguese (including interviews with Beta) and they refer to albums as "CD's". For example, Beta had called Chinese Democracy "the new CD".

Ach aye, same in Scotland... you'd ask: "heard that new CD fae <insert name o' band>?" and it could mean 'album'. However, if whatever band had only released an EP or a single, then that same question would be equally applicable. I really wouldn't read into that too much. At all. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

It’s hard to argue with people’s tastes - you like what you like.

But I wish I could hear what everyone else hears with Perhaps and Atlas. They are just painful to listen to for me.

For the record, I’m hoping that there’s more in the vault than the Village Leaks, but I really don’t think so. And I’m really starting to think Axl doesn’t have any usable vocals on any of those songs other than Atlas, Perhaps, and SoG (another snoozer).

The only Village Leaks (outside of Hard Skool) that are interesting to me are Circus Maximus (and I like that more for potential of what it could turn into, rather than what it is) and Tonto, which I could see turning into a fun live tune with a proper vocal.

Unfortunately, I can’t envision Axl laying down vocals on any of these.

This guy understands

12 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Are you moving the goalposts now? Let's be clear, we are both talking about more old songs being released after having been reworked by Slash and Duff. I am not talking about entirely new songs written by the triumvirate, because Slash has just stated such songs don't exist. So with us now being on the same page about "new songs" meaning songs that haven't been released before (hence "new") and that most people have never heard, then I can confidently say I expect that we will get to hear more such new songs next year and that this is the band's intention. We even got to hear two such new songs this year. 

So we are hearing such new songs, and you'd be a moron not to expect more such new songs when the band has expressed a desire to release them and we know they are finished.

I'm not moving the goalposts.

I think they have already completed the songs which Axl has completed vocals for - which are Atlas, Perhaps and OMG.

You say you "confidently say I expect that we will get to hear more such new songs next year".  

I confidently say you'll only hear Atlas/Perhaps or OMG.  Do you genuinely think we'll hear something else next year?

13 hours ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

You seem like you know this thread better than I do, but I don’t get the “presenting opinion as fact” thing. This is a message board - we’re all presenting our opinions. Surely we don’t all preface our posts with “now this is just my opinion, but…”

Exactly!

26 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

That mentality has always been around, but it used to be a small minority who had that attitude. 

Back in the day (literally 20 years ago) when there were like 6 or so very popular GN'R forums, there were specific forums where you were only allowed to say positive things about the band. 

I'm not even talking about one in particular, there were more than a few like that. I had no problem posting at places like that because back then there was at least hope that something would happen someday. 

Nowadays, there's really only a very few GN'R forums left for more than a few obvious reasons. So everybody kind of has to gather under one or two umbrellas if they want to post on a GN'R forum. 

I'm all for being positive about GN'R and I believe I've proven that over and over again. One need only visit the Detroit 2021 show thread to see evidence. 

However, it seems that the less GN'R do with respect to new music, the less you're allowed to say anything critical or question anything. You just get labeled negative or a hater. There's really no in between which is frustrating. 

Sort of symptomatic of the way things have gone in life in general- everything is so polarised and the idea of actually having a rational debate or seeing things from a middle ground feels like ancient history now. 

People show their immaturity though by chucking out these extremes of opinion and allegations of 'hating' or on the flip side, being an 'apologist'. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

On the other hand, if you found Absurd to be great fun and Hard Skool to be a great rocker, then getting these songs after 12 years and also knowing additional songs is in the works, is a very great thing. 

There are so many fans who kind of endure the down time of this band, who slog through the years being frustrated about the lack of new music, but still keep on waiting and hoping, waiting and hoping, waiting and hoping, years after years, that eventually the band will release new music. Give me a cent for every time someone here with confidence has stated the band will never release anything ever again, and I'd buy me a soda. Some of these fans have been so very frustrated, so very close to giving up on the band. I feel tremendously happy for them and the fact that they got two new, original songs from GN'R this year and likely will get more next year. I can't really express how happy I am for them and that they are kind of being rewarded for their patience. 

And I get that some fans are unhappy because they didn't like Absurd (just like some fans were unhappy because they didn't like Better, or Ain't it Fun, or You Could Be Mine) and that some fans are unhappy that it won't be Slash songs that are released but rather reworked (and possible improved) Axl songs. I get it. Any individual songs are not for everybody and some fans have waited too long to now suddenly realize they don't care that much after all. That must be a bitter pill to swallow.

Still, GN'R is releasing music again. And that sentence really ought to be capitalized with a large font size. It is exactly what most fans have wanted for so long. It's great.

This post is absolute insanity tbh.

Comparing the fans being disappointed with Silkworms getting released, to some not liking Better and You Could Be Mine is utterly ridiculous.

They don't like it because it was  most feel it's garbage and surplus to requirements 20 years ago.

You make out like it's a song close to Axl's heart and he wanted to release it.  He released it because it's 1 of 4 remaining that he has.

A lot of us can see it for what it is - a lazy, excuse of a single, released solely because the singer won't write or record anything else.

Feeling 'tremendously happy' that Axl made his producer record his employees playing over a horrible 20 year old demo is utter, utter lunacy IMO. 

This is not 'exactly what most fans have wanted for so long'.

Re-recording Silkworms (without even a vocal re-record) is probably the last thing anyone wanted.

9 hours ago, Alexmee239 said:

If HS or Atlas Shrugged, the same songs as they are now would've been released on lets say UYI, nobody would complain about them and ppl would say they are great songs. It's all a matter of timing and perception.

HS would have been a corny but enjoyable addition to UYI.

Atlas would be seen as what it is.  Clunky, boring filler and would have been lumped in with the usuals (GITR, The Garden, Shotgun Blues, So Fine).

8 hours ago, MildlyArtistic said:

Some goof on Reddit is pretending they've got access to songs called "Devious Bastard" and "Zodiac 13" with vocals and posting absolutely zero evidence lmao :lol:

He's lying.

2 hours ago, God of Thunder said:

Everybody here gotta realize that bands don`t make money from albums and EPs anymore. I guess Guns makes nowadays much more money alone with fashion licenses than with their records. So putting out an album now with no tour to promote in sight makes absolutely no sense at all. Possibly they  intended to have something out for the Australian / NZ tour, so that is why we got these EPs - but then again those marekets are also pretty small. So if something is coming, it would make most sense if it arrives in spring next year....but then again what does ever make sense in the world of Guns? Could also be that they just don`t care at all, as financially an album is irrelevant for them.

To all those people complaining thatwe only got and most likely will get only "old" music reworked by Slash & Duff.....You guys seriously need to consider how long Axl has been working / rewriting / producing these old songs. If you guys wait for an album written from scratch from Axl, Slash and Duff, chances are neither the band nor us will live to listen to it.

In general, I don´t understand what is wrong with working on "old" songs. We have to recognize that there will never be another album like AFD, the band had collectively a magic, unique productive moment in time when they wrote songs for eternity. 

Everything written after 91 by individual members was never able to catch up to this magic. And i think it is an illusion to think that just because three of the original five are back together 30 years later they will be able to. Even if Izzy came back, it wouldn`t happen. So if they got something that has been sitting in the vaults I would love to see them working on it. I don`t think CD was a bad album, and if we get half an album with songs from the CD era with a Slash touch and half an album of Hard Skool songs (that possibly go back to demos from the stone ages...) I don`t mind. 

The issue being IMO they aren't working on old songs.

They are only working on the old songs Rose finished, as he won't write/record anymore, so they worked on Silkworms, HardSkool and maybe Atlas and Perhaps.

They'll probably save Atlas and Perhaps for the next cash grab, and the usual suspects will buy it to 'support the band' as they are 'genuinely delighted the band are releasing new songs"

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Two singles, not associated with a film, is a strong indicator a new album is on the horizon.

Not when the singles are coincidentally both using vocals completely untouched from a 20 year old session, sung by a singer who is famous for his lack of output.

It's a strong indicator they agreed to provide new songs as part of the tour and the singer didn't want to write/record anything 

1 hour ago, Zeppelin said:

Do people believe anything Beta says? Susan's social media is fine and all, but does it mean anything concrete at all? I don't doubt that Axl wants to release more leftover songs, since he's worked on those for years and years. Them coming out piecemeal is really the evidence of this. 'Oh My God' came out how long ago now? 21 years ago? I don't even remember now. An album didn't follow that at all. Unless we're really going to say CD followed that 8 years later. Then we can say a new album may come in 2029? Sometimes smoke doesn't always mean a fire. Sometimes it's just smoke.

All the evidence is in how Slash talks about SMKC. It's an album, it gets a single, it's coming out later. That's how it works. I know GNR is put into this weird continuum where they're somehow allowed to operate in this fantastical way. But the reality is that if an album were close at all, the two singles would've pointed us there. And I'm tired of hearing about the pandemic somehow delaying things, when plenty of artists find ways to release vast swaths of material. The old saying still rings true: "Where there's a will, there's a way." There's no will here. You'd know if it was there. It's just not.

It's bizarre isn't it.

Soul Monster collects all the interviews, so has countless of examples where they say they might release music and they don't.

And he genuinely thinks there is an album because Beta said "Absurd will be on the CD" (which is is).

It's also worth pointing out she has a group of 'Super Fans' monitoring this and other forums, who report in to her.  She (and Rose) know what is being discussed here but choose not to address it.

They were online immediately when the litho guy accused them of being greedy over the art royalties.  They are silent over this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, God of Thunder said:

Everybody here gotta realize that bands don`t make money from albums and EPs anymore. I guess Guns makes nowadays much more money alone with fashion licenses than with their records. So putting out an album now with no tour to promote in sight makes absolutely no sense at all. Possibly they  intended to have something out for the Australian / NZ tour, so that is why we got these EPs - but then again those marekets are also pretty small. So if something is coming, it would make most sense if it arrives in spring next year....but then again what does ever make sense in the world of Guns? Could also be that they just don`t care at all, as financially an album is irrelevant for them.

To all those people complaining thatwe only got and most likely will get only "old" music reworked by Slash & Duff.....You guys seriously need to consider how long Axl has been working / rewriting / producing these old songs. If you guys wait for an album written from scratch from Axl, Slash and Duff, chances are neither the band nor us will live to listen to it.

In general, I don´t understand what is wrong with working on "old" songs. We have to recognize that there will never be another album like AFD, the band had collectively a magic, unique productive moment in time when they wrote songs for eternity. 

Everything written after 91 by individual members was never able to catch up to this magic. And i think it is an illusion to think that just because three of the original five are back together 30 years later they will be able to. Even if Izzy came back, it wouldn`t happen. So if they got something that has been sitting in the vaults I would love to see them working on it. I don`t think CD was a bad album, and if we get half an album with songs from the CD era with a Slash touch and half an album of Hard Skool songs (that possibly go back to demos from the stone ages...) I don`t mind. 

But when was he last working on this old stuff? 

I don't know what he's been up to since Chinese Democracy  but there's been little to no talk of him actually working on anything. All that's leaked seems to be decades old, it's not like he's been working on this stuff day after day for 20 years so of course he'd want to get it released. If Slash and Duff re-joined in like 2006 I'd understand focusing on what Axl already had but Chinese Democracy came out 13 years ago and now they're just playing with the leftovers.

It just seems like such an odd way to go about releasing new music that there has to be some reason behind it - and I suspect it's because Axl either has nothing to say lyrically or doesn't have the voice left to say it if he does. It doesn't seem like he's adding anything new to this stuff.

Edited by Modano09

48 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

But when was he last working on this old stuff? 

I don't know what he's been up to since Chinese Democracy  but there's been little to no talk of him actually working on anything. All that's leaked seems to be decades old, it's not like he's been working on this stuff day after day for 20 years so of course he'd want to get it released. If Slash and Duff re-joined in like 2006 I'd understand focusing on what Axl already had but Chinese Democracy came out 13 years ago and now they're just playing with the leftovers.

It just seems like such an odd way to go about releasing new music that there has to be some reason behind it - and I suspect it's because Axl either has nothing to say lyrically or doesn't have the voice left to say it if he does. It doesn't seem like he's adding anything new to this stuff.

He was apparently working on it in 2014, and 2015. Although what that work was is unknown, you'll also get some people saying that anyone who ever says anything about Axl working on stuff is lying.

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 1