The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

22 hours ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

Let's be honest  ; do you think that Hard Skool and Absurd could be in a GNR album ?? do you think it at the level of this band (exept "my word" !!). I already stop listened to this 2 tracks....sadly

No. I thought HS would come close when hearing the leak, but in its final form, it doesn't touch older GNR material. Absurd isn't even in the conversation. Might as well be a b-side on a release with My World.

• Haha 1

HS is a decent song. Is it really any worse than Shotgun Blues? Sure it could use one more verse but is is a solid song and would have fit as filler on UYI.

Absurd could have replaced My World. The studio version is terrible but it is a fun song live. Especially at the 10/3 show when the pit was yelling out "pussy full of maggots" whenever that line came up.

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Completely subjective question. 

Entirely.

Still, considering how varied GNR's output has been, including joke songs, covers and experimental stuff that cover such a wide range of genres, it sounds strange to me when fans insist Hard Skool and Absurd are worse than everything else released. I reckon they suffer from a really bad case of fandom when they elevate all prior music, including My World, Shotgun Blues, Bad Obsession, Anything Goes, Scraped, If the World, etc, to such heights. 

Without our fan goggles on and our romantized views of the band's discography, with its fillers, dated rockers, and laughable experiments, I think almost everybody would agree that at least Hard Skool is not one of their two worst songs. 

I still don't know why they released Absurd and Hard Skool? I mean, great they're releasing new music. But why? No new album is coming out soon. These two songs can't been near the best they can bring up? So why? 

I know it's never straightforward with Guns N' Roses and they never do it like every other bands. But again, why?

I'm confused!

Edited by TheDemocracyRose

It's not unlikely to release new music even if there is no new album on the horizon; it can be done to promote a tour and spike up interest. The timing of HS does seem odd since it released towards the end of the tour. My thinking is that it was contractual and had to release something but I could be wrong.

I keep going back to Helloween. They also started in the mid 80s and released critical acclaimed albums that innovative new musical genre. The classic line up broke up and reunited 24 years later, in 2017. Helloween released a new song in time for their 1st reunion tour. At the time a new album was not on their radar but it was just a way for them to show what they could do, capitalize on the excitement of the tour by furthering spiking up interest. This year they managed to release the new album and the previously released single was not included on the main CD but as a bonus track.

GnR could release a new album and not include these two track if they do end up releasing a full lenght.

Edited by Chuerta86

35 minutes ago, Chuerta86 said:

Get rid of the the bell, give it some cowbell and have Adler drum on it and I think Absurd could be a winner. Out of all the songs I think it's the perfect song for his groove. As it stands I can't take it seriously; I keep thinking of Saved By The Bell.

Yeah the school bell is such a cheesy 80s cock rock trope, the type of thing these guys would have laughed at back then.

The official version of Hard School is a decent song, and while they did have worse songs in their prime, they weren't releasing them as singles. It's also worse than the 20 year old demo in basically every way. Particularly the drums which added a sense of urgency to the original that's completely lacking here. 

Absurd is a joke of a song and legitimately among the worst things they've ever released. And I kind of liked Silkworms. It was a dumb song, and was never going to be accepted by most of the GnR fanbase, but it was entertaining in a way, ridiculous but had some legitimate energy and venom. This version it sounds like they spliced the lyrics and instrumental from a pair of Z-grade Spaghetti Incident throwaways. But releasing it as the first "new" single from the reunion is a grade A troll job

Edited by Mikey Whipwreck
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chuerta86 said:

It's not unlikely to release new music even if there is no new album on the horizon; it can be done to promote a tour and spike up interest. The timing of HS does seem odd since it released towards the end of the tour. My thinking is that it was contractual and had to release something but I could be wrong.

I keep going back to Helloween. They also started in the mid 80s and released critical acclaimed albums that innovative new musical genre. The classic line up broke up and reunited 24 years later, in 2017. Helloween released a new song in time for their 1st reunion tour. At the time a new album was not on their radar but it was just a way for them to show what they could do, capitalize on the excitement of the tour by furthering spiking up interest. This year they managed to release the new album and the previously released single was not included on the main CD but as a bonus track.

GnR could release a new album and not include these two track if they do end up releasing a full lenght.

HS and Absurd don't sound properly mixed to me, I'd hope they would be better if on an album and mastered. Other rock songs that came out this year sounded much better from a mix standpoint. Maybe they did it intentional for effect, but it sounds like a mess to me, like they are leak quality.

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Completely subjective question. They 'could' be on a gnr album, and they 'might' be better than some UYI to you. I'd say they could be on a GNR album easily, but if that was the peak quality then the album would be average to below average 5/10... for my taste at least! 

I don't know, I just don't love either song, perfectly inoffensive sums up HS. Absurd is a complete head scratcher. I actually love the Bass/drums/gtrs on Absurd but the vocals just don't work for me. I'd put both of them in the pile of 'listen to once or twice every now and again', but if I never heard them again I'd be just fine with having AFD/UYI/CD. I truly hope neither make the final record and that there is some knock out material being pulled out for the full album. 

End of the day, each to their own! Some people love these songs, some hate them! I fall in the middle. 

Exactly - if the standard is Perhaps/HardSkool/Atlas/Silkworms, then the album will be average to garbage.

Nobody should be building their hopes up.

Rose has completed so few songs over the last 25 years, and those few included OMG, Shacklers, Catcher, Atlas, Rhiad, If The World, Silkworms, Scraped etc.  Can you imagine how bad the 'leftovers' would be (if actually finished)?

It's fairly nailed on that 'The General' is going to be a massive disappointment when we finally hear it.

1 hour ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

Yeah the school bell is such a cheesy 80s cock rock trope, the type of thing these guys would have laughed at back then.

The official version of Hard School is a decent song, and while they did have worse songs in their prime, they weren't releasing them as singles. It's also worse than the 20 year old demo in basically every way. Particularly the drums which added a sense of urgency to the original that's completely lacking here. 

Absurd is a joke of a song and legitimately among the worst things they've ever released. And I kind of liked Silkworms. It was a dumb song, and was never going to be accepted by most of the GnR fanbase, but it was entertaining in a way, ridiculous but had some legitimate energy and venom. This version it sounds like they spliced the lyrics and instrumental from a pair of Z-grade Spaghetti Incident throwaways. But releasing it as the first "new" single from the reunion is a grade A troll job

Agree with all of that except the opening line.

He has always been a cheesy, cringy, edgelord - capable of ruining songs with some utter shit he finds funny.

• I dont vant to do eet
  • I see you standing there, you think you're soooooo cool
  • Had a plan and thought they'd win, but I dont give a fuck 'bout them, cause I am crazy!!!!!!!
  • Whatever the shit at the end of Breakdown was
  • Stupid Michael Jackson noises everywhere
  • Sex noises in Rocket Queen
  • shouting "with your ass in the air!!!" in YCBM

47 minutes ago, Pele said:

Exactly - if the standard is Perhaps/HardSkool/Atlas/Silkworms, then the album will be average to garbage.

Nobody should be building their hopes up.

Rose has completed so few songs over the last 25 years, and those few included OMG, Shacklers, Catcher, Atlas, Rhiad, If The World, Silkworms, Scraped etc.  Can you imagine how bad the 'leftovers' would be (if actually finished)?

It's fairly nailed on that 'The General' is going to be a massive disappointment when we finally hear it.

Well I said 'If'. I also think Perhaps is a good song. Same with If the world.

I don't think anything is a lock about a song we haven't heard though. Maybe it's a lock that it won't please classic gnr fans, but you won't please everybody.

We also haven't heard all the other many, many songs Axl finished that we know zero about... we includes Pele.

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Entirely.

Still, considering how varied GNR's output has been, including joke songs, covers and experimental stuff that cover such a wide range of genres, it sounds strange to me when fans insist Hard Skool and Absurd are worse than everything else released. I reckon they suffer from a really bad case of fandom when they elevate all prior music, including My World, Shotgun Blues, Bad Obsession, Anything Goes, Scraped, If the World, etc, to such heights. 

Without our fan goggles on and our romantized views of the band's discography, with its fillers, dated rockers, and laughable experiments, I think almost everybody would agree that at least Hard Skool is not one of their two worst songs. 

I wouldn't say HS and Absurd are the two worst by any means. However, something can still be weak and not be the worst thing the band has released...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I'm one of those weirdos who loves Shackler's Revenge, Scraped, and If The World. I love the Bucket driven songs. Wish we got more!

Scraped is not my favourite, but Shacklers and If The World are great and I don't care if most GNR fans hate both😄

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Scraped is not my favourite, but Shacklers and If The World are great and I don't care if most GNR fans hate both😄

I feel like If The World is mixed very, very well. I can hear the bass unlike most other CD songs. I think Pitman played bass in that tune.

16 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I'm one of those weirdos who loves Shackler's Revenge, Scraped, and If The World. I love the Bucket driven songs. Wish we got more!

I'm a big fan of CD. I like Perhaps a lot. State of Grace and Eye On You too even if they sound unfinished. Atlas is alright, good vocals and solid drums, probably the song that would benefit most from Slash reworking it because aside from the solo the instrumental is flat out boring, like it almost isn't there. 

Just frustrating they had an album 90% done in November 2000 and they sat on it for 8 more years. And still no sign of the follow up even though it's been more or less done since 2014. Makes no sense that they don't just empty the vault, get Izzy in the studio to make one final 10-12 track album,  one more tour and call it a day 

Instead it looks like they'll just continue the interminable Greatest Hits tour until it's no longer financially viable then just quietly disband or go on hiatus. If we're "lucky" maybe another EP with reheated versions of Perhaps, Atlas and Oh My God 

• Like 2

Just now, Mikey Whipwreck said:

Just frustrating they had an album 90% done in November 2000  

They (he) didn't

1 minute ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

Instead it looks like they'll just continue the interminable Greatest Hits tour until it's no longer financially viable then just quietly disband or go on hiatus. If we're "lucky" maybe another EP with reheated versions of Perhaps, Atlas and Oh My God 

The above is why

12 minutes ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

I'm a big fan of CD. I like Perhaps a lot. State of Grace and Eye On You too even if they sound unfinished. Atlas is alright, good vocals and solid drums, probably the song that would benefit most from Slash reworking it because aside from the solo the instrumental is flat out boring, like it almost isn't there. 

Just frustrating they had an album 90% done in November 2000 and they sat on it for 8 more years. And still no sign of the follow up even though it's been more or less done since 2014. Makes no sense that they don't just empty the vault, get Izzy in the studio to make one final 10-12 track album,  one more tour and call it a day 

I couldn't agree more! I'm sure we will see at least one or two more full albums from this band though.

11 minutes ago, Pele said:

They (he) didn't

By the end of 2000 they had almost two albums worth of material with vocals. Not all of it was intended for release, however. The Village leaks were far from everything they had in "the vault" at that time. 

As I've said before, just because you have not heard it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I couldn't agree more! I'm sure we will see at least one or two more full albums from this band though.

By the end of 2000 they had almost two albums worth of material with vocals. Not all of it was intended for release, however. The Village leaks were far from everything they had in "the vault" at that time. 

As I've said before, just because you have not heard it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. 

True! This is just what Tom Z. had left in that locker. I'm sure many past managers/engineers/band members have copies of recordings in various stages of completion, including material we have yet to hear.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Completely subjective question. They 'could' be on a gnr album, and they 'might' be better than some UYI to you. I'd say they could be on a GNR album easily, but if that was the peak quality then the album would be average to below average 5/10... for my taste at least! 

I don't know, I just don't love either song, perfectly inoffensive sums up HS. Absurd is a complete head scratcher. I actually love the Bass/drums/gtrs on Absurd but the vocals just don't work for me. I'd put both of them in the pile of 'listen to once or twice every now and again', but if I never heard them again I'd be just fine with having AFD/UYI/CD. I truly hope neither make the final record and that there is some knock out material being pulled out for the full album. 

End of the day, each to their own! Some people love these songs, some hate them! I fall in the middle. 

I agree 100 percent.

10 minutes ago, kever20 said:

True! This is just what Tom Z. had left in that locker. I'm sure many past managers/engineers/band members have copies of recordings in various stages of completion, including material we have yet to hear.

Absolutely! Tom has a lot more in his possession as well. I would imagine Sean Beavan and Roy Thomas Baker have many goodies as well.

Gosh there is so much wishful thinking in this thread, building of narratives around non existent evidence.  Sorry to sound negative but the last straw for me was when Slash said they had not even got together, after five years, but has been saying the opposite.  They have done what they set out to do, another tour then its retirement for Axl which I think he will be rather relieved about.  I dont think music is his passion anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

16 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

Gosh there is so much wishful thinking in this thread, building of narratives around non existent evidence.  Sorry to sound negative but the last straw for me was when Slash said they had not even got together, after five years, but has been saying the opposite.  They have done what they set out to do, another tour then its retirement for Axl which I think he will be rather relieved about.  I dont think music is his passion anymore.

Slash said they haven't sat down as a band with the specific purpose of writing brand new music. He didn't say they haven't got together at all.

• Like 3