The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

I proved a few pages back the Spotify algorithim doesn't do this with literally any band's demos. All unreleased Rolling Stones songs in an article (that didn't end up being released or a live track) did not prompt anything with Rolling Stones. I went through about 20 other demos of popular bands and artists and nothing prompted them either. The only possibilities is these searches are "trends"* and what is being searched for the immediate moment, which if the titles start disappearing, we'll see shortly, or Spotify specifically has carved out a algorithim niche for Guns n' Roses fans. 

A lot of us have started searching "Red Panda" with Guns n' Roses and testing if it will appear at all. So far, nothing.

Edited by AxlRoseCDII

Just now, Jakey Styley said:

It's going to make these suggestions only to GNR fans. I don't listen to GNR on Spotify much, so none of these at all come up for me.

Well, I don't know. I have tried searching on the browser while not logged in, and it shows different results depending on the country I set the VPN to, which most of the time agree with what forum members from these countries have reported. I have even tried the same (searching on the browser) on other devices that are completely "clean" from GN'R, like computers belonging to people who never listen to GN'R, and it's again the same results.

• Like 2

Just now, AxlRoseCDII said:

I proved a few pages back the Spotify algorithim doesn't do this with literally any band's demos. All unreleased Rolling Stones songs in an article (that didn't end up being released or a live track) did not prompt anything with Rolling Stones. I went through about 20 other demos of popular bands and artists and nothing prompted them either. The only possibilities is these searches are "trends" and what is being searched for the immediate moment, which if the titles start disappearing, we'll see shortly, or Spotify specifically has carved out a algorithim niche for Guns n' Roses fans. 

Because their fans aren't lunatics who search their demo names into Spotify for no reason!!

• Like 1

Cuban Skies, totally escaped my mind. I recall the chap on the Hoffman forum saying he heard it around 2002 when he bumped into Axl in some cafe. He took him out to his car and played him a few tunes - he was impressed that he knew The Blues. That said, when I asked, he did say he didn't hear vocals for Cuban Skies, just that there was a lot of flamenco guitars going on and that it sounded cool.

Edited by Dean

1 minute ago, Jakey Styley said:

Because their fans aren't lunatics who search their demo names into Spotify for no reason!!

You're telling me that GNR fans are the only fanbase in the world who search for unreleased titles for their bands? And bands like Rolling Stones which are arguably bigger than GNR? Nah man, that's a silly thing to say. Just because we receive less music doesn't mean we are the only fanbase who cares about this stuff.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

It's going to make these suggestions only to GNR fans. I don't listen to GNR on Spotify much, so none of these at all come up for me. It knows you're not looking for Taylor Swift's State of Grace based on your listening patterns.

I never listen to Guns N Roses on Spotify. I'm getting Guns for State of Grace and Atlas Shrugged.

One question... why did these titles start showing up at different times. If there indeed was an album being prepared, wouldn't all tracks be uploaded to spotify at the same time? Seems strange that different titles are starting to show up in searches in a span of several days.

Just now, AxlRoseCDII said:

You're telling me that GNR fans are the only fanbase in the world who search for unreleased titles for their bands? And bands like Rolling Stones which are arguably bigger than GNR? Nah man, that's a silly thing to say. Just because we receive less music doesn't mean we are the only fanbase who cares about this stuff.

RS fans are 1) too old and 2) haven't been driven insane by a clown circus band that leads them on for years

• Haha 1

Just now, Jakey Styley said:

RS fans are 1) too old and 2) haven't been driven insane by a clown circus band that leads them on for years

I would argue older people would be more inclined to look up unreleased titles because they don't know how Spotify works and would just assume they could find it there. I have a few RS fans in my family who do stuff like that. Not to mention this doesn't happen with any other band. Sorry man, you're not gonna convince me we're alone on this one.

3 minutes ago, Spirit said:

One question... why did these titles start showing up at different times. If there indeed was an album being prepared, wouldn't all tracks be uploaded to spotify at the same time? Seems strange that different titles are starting to show up in searches in a span of several days.

it could be a case of there choosing which songs they want to put on which would kinda mean if that's right then they have recorded a lot

11 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

It's going to make these suggestions only to GNR fans. I don't listen to GNR on Spotify much, so none of these at all come up for me. It knows you're not looking for Taylor Swift's State of Grace based on your listening patterns.

Pages back people mentioned using there partners Spotify accounts to check, people who don't even listen to GN'R and they were getting results.

2 minutes ago, kingcanyon said:

it could be a case of there choosing which songs they want to put on which would kinda mean if that's right then they have recorded a lot

Personally, I think if they planned to release an album. The song selection would be complete before they started pushing it out to streaming services.

1 minute ago, Shacklermyrye said:

Pages back people mentioned using there partners Spotify accounts to check, people who don't even listen to GN'R and they were getting results.

Today I was watching the Woodstock Netflix documentary on my living room TV. Episode 1, spends 15 mins talking about James Brown's performance

My girlfriend then went on the computer 10 mins later, visits Youtube, and on her recommended is Woodstock 99 James Brown performance. She has never searched anything related to Woodstock 99 or James Brown.

My theory on these instances is that your partner's phones hear the words you're saying (we know this happens) and are feeding this data into Spotify's search algorithm. A lot of website's search engines are powered by either Microsoft or Google, so this wouldn't be out of the ordinary. I however can't prove that Spotify does in fact rely on Google/Microsoft data.

I think the best way to test it is to search not through your (or someone else's) account on the Spotify app (because it returns results according to one's listening habits), but here

https://open.spotify.com/

without being logged in on Spotify, and do the same on as many devices as possible (preferably devices that have no GN'R history).

Of course it still doesn't mean that it's really something, but it gives an idea about how Spotify search works.

Edited by Blackstar

3 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

Today I was watching the Woodstock Netflix documentary on my living room TV. Episode 1, spends 15 mins talking about James Brown's performance

My girlfriend then went on the computer 10 mins later, visits Youtube, and on her recommended is Woodstock 99 James Brown performance. She has never searched anything related to Woodstock 99 or James Brown.

My theory on these instances is that your partner's phones hear the words you're saying (we know this happens) and are feeding this data into Spotify's search algorithm. A lot of website's search engines are powered by either Microsoft or Google, so this wouldn't be out of the ordinary. I however can't prove that Spotify does in fact rely on Google/Microsoft data.

Why isn’t red panda or any of the other nonsense people have been searching to test this theory showing up then?

Just now, MJRoses23 said:

Why isn’t red panda or any of the other nonsense people have been searching to test this theory showing up then?

I would say either 1) not enough of us are searching the REAL fringe ones like Red Panda or 2) it's capturing data from Google/Microsoft and seeing that there are many more searches and "real" results for real songs like Atlas Shrugged than there are for Red Panda

For the record, I want to be wrong!

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think the best way to test it is to search not through your account on the Spotify app (because it returns results according to one's listening habits), but here

https://open.spotify.com/

without being logged in on Spotify, and do the same on as many devices as possible (preferably devices that have no GN'R history).

Of course it still doesn't mean that it's really something, but it gives an idea about how Spotify search works.

atlas shrugged, state of grace, the general, soul monster, thyme & perhaps all show up when i do this in the uk for 5 of my devices

Edited by kingcanyon
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

I would say either 1) not enough of us are searching the REAL fringe ones like Red Panda or 2) it's capturing data from Google/Microsoft and seeing that there are many more searches and "real" results for real songs like Atlas Shrugged than there are for Red Panda

For the record, I want to be wrong!

The only thing I listen to in Spotify is GNR, why for me does not appear any song, and why are different results in every country?

If It's Google or whatever business that listen to us, why don't everybody in the world just get the same results, what is the percentage of people searching for a song like thyme in Spotify? It's imposible that 10, 20 or 100 people could alter an algorithm of one of the biggest business of music, It's totally imposible!

22 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

Yeah you could be right. Iv'e had that sort of thing happen to me too to be fair.