John Frusciante returns to RHCP

vloors

14 hours ago, Nicklord said:

I loved that the solo has some parts of their jam fans named "Don't You Ever Leave" that they used to play as an extension of Throw Away Your Television during 2003-2007

Isn't it just that all of his solos are starting to sound the same?

Start with a feedbacky sustained note

Waaaaaaaaooooouuuuurggggghhh

Then some fast stuff 

Bibidibidinidibididinidibibibididudii

Back to feedback in a different spot 

Neeeeeooouuuurggghhjjjj

Then a bit of a melodic part

doh doh doh di di di Dum dum dum

Then back to feedback with fast stuff

Waaaoooneeeooorrgghhuuuuuoooodibibibididibibidididodidibibidudibibo - then go up an octave - ziminimiininizizinimimizinimzini

Finish with the whammy bar

Wowoowwowowwowwwooooo

Play it with your mouth open and eyes closed and there you go! 

Don't spare the wah pedal either.  

• Haha 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

He has always fallen back on the same pentatonic licks and noodling during improvised solos, and I say that as a fan who is hugely influenced by his playing (although mostly by his rhythm playing).

But to be fair, most guitarists who mainly stick to the pentatonic scale have certain licks that they always fall back on during improvs. Some players are more original while some are more repetitive, but there are only so many ways to go when you stick to the pentatonic scale for the most part.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 10:43 AM, EvanG said:

He has always fallen back on the same pentatonic licks and noodling during improvised solos, and I say that as a fan who is hugely influenced by his playing (although mostly by his rhythm playing).

But to be fair, most guitarists who mainly stick to the pentatonic scale have certain licks that they always fall back on during improvs. Some players are more original while some are more repetitive, but there are only so many ways to go when you stick to the pentatonic scale for the most part.

True, but as you said, there's only so much one can do that sounds cool. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

The album is out. It seems that a lot of people got their vinyl/cd today. I saw 10+ pictures

It's nice that people got it before it leaked (or was actually released). Should be a perk to preorder it that it gets shipped a week prior to release date.

It leaked. Just finished it. First 7 songs and the Japanese track are all amazing, but everything else is so shit that it makes UL look like a masterpiece by comparison. This is easily their worst album since Freaky Styley.

EDIT: listened to it again. it’s growing on me now.

Edited by rocknroll41

27 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

It leaked. Just finished it. First 7 songs and the Japanese track are all amazing, but everything else is so shit that it makes UL look like a masterpiece by comparison. This is easily their worst album since Freaky Styley.

Also there are no California mentions in it.

Oh what a bummer, I really like Tippa and Eddie so I had high hopes for the rest. UL was very polarizing (I really like it) so hopefully I enjoy this album just as much. 7 amazing songs on one album is nothing to sneeze at!

• Like 1

I don't fully agree that it's 7 songs plus bonus tracks that are good but the middle is noticeably weaker than the rest of the album (and UL)

I like that there were several songs that RHCP never did, like In The Snow or My Cigarette

All in all, it's enjoyable. If you put the best songs from those 2 albums you'd get a great RHCP record - similar level to BTW. The rest of the songs could've been bsides. This way with 2 full albums there are some duds. I'm not bothered with it, I would like if every band released (almost) everything they record

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

It leaked. Just finished it. First 7 songs, The Drummer and the Japanese track are all amazing, but everything else is so shit that it makes UL look like a masterpiece by comparison. This is easily their worst album since Freaky Styley.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this album but after one listen, it might be better than Unlimited Love. It feels more consistent. It does take a weird turn in the middle but it's interesting - definitely gonna have to listen a few more times to really have an opinion. Fake As Fuck was the highlight but The Drummer and Carry Me Home were standouts too.

My Cigarette was really unexpected but it's a cool to hear them try something like that. In The Snow was interesting, had a kind of chill Death Of A Martian vibe at times with the spoken parts. I like it but it's not a great album-closer. The Shape I'm Takin' is too good to be a bonus track.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I wasn't sure what to expect from this album but after one listen, it might be better than Unlimited Love. It feels more consistent. It does take a weird turn in the middle but it's interesting - definitely gonna have to listen a few more times to really have an opinion. Fake As Fuck was the highlight but The Drummer and Carry Me Home were standouts too.

My Cigarette was really unexpected but it's a cool to hear them try something like that. In The Snow was interesting, had a kind of chill Death Of A Martian vibe at times with the spoken parts. I like it but it's not a great album-closer. The Shape I'm Takin' is too good to be a bonus track.

The Drummer in particular has grown on me a lot now, yeah. Same with Shoot Me A Smile, Afterlife and Handful.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1