"Cancel Culture" Opinions?

RussTCB

4 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

In my opinion, nobody gets to to insist downzy is a bigot for having zero interest in drag queens.

I wouldn't be so quick to come to the conclusion that he has zero interest in drag queens. You don't know this person, just saying.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I'm pointing out the ironic double standard that he and the others seem to have - unless of course they're bitching at/about him privately and I'm not aware of that. But I very much doubt they have the balls or consistency.

For a variety of reasons I happen to genuinely like downzy(not sarcasm btw - we sometimes strongly disagree with each other but that's not the end of the world). More than that, I have a code of seemingly rarer and rarer values such as integrity and honour and I have always prided myself on 'not' being pretentious, hypocritical, sanctimonious, self-righteous, stupid etc. Also, yeah, I don't actually know the guy. So, I show him the basic common courtesy of not twisting his very normal desire to not be constantly inundated with Drag-Queen shit into "Uh oooh, he's got some weird Machiavellian problematic bigot views against Drag-Queens swirling around in his psyche, tsk tsk." I consider that level of non-thinking audaciously retarded.

For someone to use me as a whipping boy - when in their own words they can see where I'm coming from - in order to simp for their gf is actually surreal lmfao. I find that so fucking surreal and cringe it blows my mind lol. I just can't relate to needing to simp I guess. I respect your opinion, Rovim. Am I being a cunt here? I'll hear you out. Because to me that is fucking laughable.

Me: Oh God, another thing I love hijacked with political stances/agendas bombarding me with tokenism etc. I'm of course not saying I have a problem with diversity in and of itself and have even given examples where I totally approve. But tokenism at all times at all costs, vehemently? Do we ever get a fucking break?=Hugely problematic and bigoted.

downzy: I have no interest in seeing Drag-Queens=*crickets*

I was joking, but I've read this thread and what you said and honestly, I think, just from reading your posts in this thread, that when you feel strongly about some issues, the debate gets heated, you take shit personally sometimes and some people misunderstand you. 

I'm like that too, I just feel that maybe it's possible for you to get more enjoyment out of debates if you remember that the opinins you strongly disagree with don't mean anything cause it only represents a few people on the internet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

You're right, I do take shit too personal and I have a temper/get heated. It's not good, I am trying to work on it believe it or not.

I need to lower my expectations. I'll shutup about it now.

of course I believe it, but I also believe that the best way to improve is to keep the interaction going while working on it if it's just a case of differing opinions, a temper, and keyboards.

I think some people can't shut the fuck about it, they have to at least discuss shit they feel strongly about both positive and negative or else they feel like shit cause they need to express themselves and personally I think you bring an interesting point of view to many discussions here. 

14 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Cancel culture is bad. Within reason, people should be able to say pretty much whatever they want. In my opinion, just not anything too heinous and no lies.

People can say whatever they want, and then other people can agree or disagree and also say whatever they want in response. Disagreeing, no matter how many people disagree, is not 'cancelling'.

Free speech is only under threat when the government seeks to silence people; it's not under threat when a social media website for example, bans you. That's called de-platforming, but it's not a violation of free speech as you can still say whatever you want just not on that website.

I've yet to see anyone explain what cancel culture is without making it clear they just hate people disagreeing with them or holding them accountable for bigotry, ignorance, or spreading misinformation.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

Listen, I get that you're enjoying diving into this wild fantasy that I'm an evil stupid cunt but maybe take it down a notch, eh?

What have I said that's bigotry/ignorance/misinformation? Explain that.

She's not talking about you specifically as a person or in general.

15 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

In my opinion, nobody gets to to insist downzy is a bigot for having zero interest in drag queens

Where did I say that?  I said I had no interest in watching reality tv shows about drag queens, as I have zero interest in watching almost all reality tv shows.

Actually, I was at a friend's 40th birthday party last week and she hired a drag show as entertainment.  The performance was a lot of fun.  

You're confusing topic specific with general interest/moral objection.  I have no objections to anyone who wants to dress up in drag.  I just don't have any interest in watching a drag show contest; similar to my lack of interest in watching something like America's Next Top Model.  

You might want to remember, this is a GNR forum after all.  Go back and look at many of the founding and classic members of the band.  There were a lot of blending of genders when it came to their fashion.

23 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

P.S. I never said I was being cancelled. I never said disagreeing with me(even if it were the overwhelming majority) in and of itself is cancelling. So we agree on that.

So this was just you saying people tried to cancel you, then? 

"What #CancelCulture 'is', is how I was being treated in the Rings of Power thread."

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

Go back to that thread, look at the unhinged way I was treated, that sanctimonious mob mentality attitude if on a larger scale and in real life, has led to 'cancel culture'.

The most unhinged person in that thread was you. But yeah, people were mean to you. Now, stop whining about it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

Go back to that thread, look at the unhinged way I was treated, that sanctimonious mob mentality attitude if on a larger scale and in real life, has led to 'cancel culture'.

:rofl-lol:

19 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

The most unhinged person in that thread was you. But yeah, people were mean to you. Now, stop whining about it. 

I think I said “idiots” in that thread and maybe that made him go crazy ?

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

:rofl-lol:

I think I said “idiots” in that thread and maybe that made him go crazy ?

I watched "married at first sight australia" the other day, and it gave me new knowledge on bullying and when to to know when to stop / apologize

apologising, you already did. Now, you just need to stop.

what's important with bullying, is empathy, and accept it when someone says he "feels" bullied. it is less about "what" was said, and more about the impact a conversation had on someone.

here, the bullied person claims to feel subjected to a mob mentality. there is certainly reason to believe he really feels that way. he clearly made this feeling known. The apologise you gave (two in fact) was a sign that you were willing to look inside yourself. But then you should really walk away, because an apologise is kind of back-handed when you then continue your attitude. Don't be a hyena. You don't want to be a hyena, don't you? 

Edited by action

12 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Their behaviour is weirdly mean spirited and disappointing, yeah. These are men? They don't even own their own behaviour ffs, they have a huge tantrum at us bitching and moaning  for fucking days and days over an opinion of a fucking TV show - and then turn around and gaslight. Incredible. Such toughies. I guarantee you they'd behave differently irl.

ZoSoRose is literally simping lol. He doesn't even believe what he's saying. He's a boy.

Anyway, they're permanently on ignore now. I'm not wasting anymore time and energy reaching out trying to communicate.

Fucking weak bellend :lol:

Getting tired of it. Comedians can't even tell all their jokes anymore. Let's face it, every race and nationality have funny quirks that we all find funny, but now can't say those things anymore.

If George Carlin were still alive, he wouldn't be able to do any of his amazing jokes anymore.  I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be surprised that this happened either.

classic beavis and butthead and simpsons. 70s and 80s action movies. clint eastwood, schwarzenegger, stallone.

I have to pick one movie, true lies, and before you knew, its cancelled because the villian is a muslim terrorist. 

Another movie could be making fun of cultural stereotypes. can't have that. bam. cancelled.

cancel culture is stupid. it's ridiculous. and ineffective: while the cancel rage goes on, I watch what I want, I have all the DVD's of my favorite movies and albums on cd. I've stocked up on DVD players because I have an empty feeling these won't be around for much longer

• 4 weeks later...

How many misdemeanours does a person have to commit before they’re cancelled? Because I wouldn’t mind if I never heard about Kanye West again. 

He’s severely mentally ill and has been for at least a decade. Being married to Kim Kardashian seemed to be good for him. But she’s intelligent and he lets his ego eclipse his good qualities. 

He’s said some anti semetic things lately, hasn’t he? Do we just let that slide until he’s exposed for worse crimes?

Guy needs to retire with a nice arm chair, a strong cup of tea and a stack of books. Time to focus on his kids. After ten years, he can release a philosophical rap album with sage life advice.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

He’s said some anti semetic things lately, hasn’t he?

Yes. He also just did an interview saying how much he likes Hitler. The guy is off his fuckin rocker and must NOT be given a platform to spew all of his hate. 

Kanye West Is Suspended From Twitter After Posting a Swastika

The tweet was deleted before the rapper’s account was shut down. Twitter’s chief executive, Elon Musk, said the post violated a rule against inciting violence.

Edited by marlingrl03
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

3 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Condemns Kanye West for his remarks while endorsing the vatican who, among many other despicable things, protected Nazis.

Dim af.

Sorry I’ll climb back into my cave where I’m not allowed to have an opinion on Kanye West, because someone I’ve never met also once did something bad. 

@Oldest Goat for many years now you’ve made a habit of trolling me for my faith. For once and for all I’m going to explain to you why I’m Catholic, despite all your reservations.

I want to know God. As I’m not Jewish nor Greek, western Catholic Christianity provides a wide range of tools to do so. I have been deeply, personally hurt by a member of the church with responsibilities in their profession and personal life. I trusted them more than anyone else and they didn’t live up to that. I also grew up in a community which has been affected by the clerical abuse crisis. Why do I persist? Because I don’t let the actions of others dictate my relationship with God. I’m not “endorsing the Vatican” even though some members got up to some nasty stuff. I’m pursuing God and frankly I haven’t found as nearly as much truth nor beauty in any other denomination. I’m sorry that my faith upsets you, but you should really search for peace for yourself.

6 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

@Oldest Goat 

I want to know God. 

then you are really, a gnostic

I was a catholic too, but it's bad for you; it's a false religion. they have twisted and censored jesus' words almost immediately after he died

if you want to know jesus' real words, read the gospels of thomas and mary magdalene etc

7 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Then Gnosticism is correct and so am I because I've been saying that all along.

If the Catholics weren't so miserably twisted up inside and defensive and passive aggressively hypocritical, they would realize that I'm ultimately profoundly supportive, not hateful. I actually care more than they realize and I want them to be better Christians/people, in the ways which I've pointed out. And I'd like the wrongdoing to stop - they're holding that up though.

The test of faith, the struggle of the dilemma of attaching oneself to an evil oppessive pedo club because awww in other ways it makes them feel good; does not impress me because that's an arbitrary, misguided, moronic, harmful exercise in cognitive dissonance. It is only worthy of pity, ridicule or scorn.

no one knows what is correct when it comes to religion. If I want to worship satan for example, I should be allowed to do so. Live and let live no? cause it's not very effective to tell people their chosen religion is shit and filled with pedos, even if that's true. It's just an outlet for your anger it seems and I don't think it gives you what you seem to want which is accountability from their part. You're not going to get it, it's just a loop of condemning people who have no real connection to the evil shit you're talking about, I think. 

you label them enablers because they're catholics, I get that but not everyone can cut all ties to what they believe in because to you that religion is stained and doesn't worth anything. It doesn't work that way, if it did, the world would be a very different place. Also it's not like they can switch belief systems every other day. What if this shit is the only thing they can believe in or at least for the time being? 

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1