"Cancel Culture" Opinions?

RussTCB

disney are now deleting LGBTQ content for the middle east market as to "not offend cultural localities"

so I guess, this makes Disney "woke-fluid" as their wokeness seems to differ from region to region.

lmfao!

they're woke, but only if it makes them profit.

woke culture can't disapear soon enough.

top gun maverick wasnt woke, and its still the most popular movie out now. that's where the money is: normalilty. Classic values, stability, sincerity, tolerance (woke people are the most intolerant, cancel happy people around) and overcoming hardship.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, action said:

disney are now deleting LGBTQ content for the middle east market as to "not offend cultural localities"

so I guess, this makes Disney "woke-fluid" as their wokeness seems to differ from region to region.

lmfao!

they're woke, but only if it makes them profit.

woke culture can't disapear soon enough.

top gun maverick wasnt woke, and its still the most popular movie out now. that's where the money is: normalilty. Classic values, stability, sincerity, tolerance (woke people are the most intolerant, cancel happy people around) and overcoming hardship.

All you need to know about companies who claim to be woke is the following:

Watch their social media profiles during black or LGBTQ events. They'll change their profile pic to / logo to reflect the cause everywhere except for China and the middle east. 

In short, they do it for the likes & praise in the countries where its looked on favorably and taking zero stand in countries where they'd receive any push back. 

It's really as simple as that. 

I sure miss my toxic white masculinity action movies, and my baywatch episodes with hot women (I can't stress enough, the women need to be hot and scantily clothed.)

it seems, this market segment is very under represented lately.

woke has hijacked all those great franchises I used to love, but don't anymore because of all the forced diversity.

entertainment is a large part of our individual lives. Taking this all away leads to frustration and polarity, so in the end it even has negative effects on society as a whole

33 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Rage against the Machine cancelled Europe. The second time now. Fuck them.

RATM used to be extreme left, but that exact same attitude makes them right wingers now

when they sing "fuck you I won't do what you tell me", this goes straight against the current left ideology of listening to the experts, get vaccinated, don't drive your car, don't eat meat etc.

Unless of course, they're being a hypocrite, which I suspect they are, same as guns n roses and all those other "dangerous" artists who bend the knee to woke and the technocracy

4 hours ago, action said:

and my baywatch episodes

God, I used to love Baywatch as a kid in the early 90's. And not even for the girls because I was too young. I just liked the story and the characters. I watched an episode not so long ago for the first time since I was a kid and I was just amazed at how terrible the acting and everything else really was. Ah, to be young again...

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 11:39 AM, PatrickS77 said:

Because Zack broke/injured his leg and needed rest. Apparently RATM does not know the terms "postpone" and "reschedule". When it comes to Europe they only know "cancellation".

It's an insurance issue. Cancelling means fans can get refunds. Postpone means they can't. I don't think it's anything more than that.

Also cancel culture is not real, and absolutely nobody has ever actually been "cancelled." The rest is all bullshit posturing and smoke and mirrors. :headbang:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, axlslash said:

It's an insurance issue. Cancelling means fans can get refunds. Postpone means they can't. I don't think it's anything more than that.

It's bullshit. I bought the same ticket for the same concert twice. And lost money with each cancellation. They could postpone AND give people the option to return the tickets. Like bands usually do. The same way they did for the US tour.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 6:36 AM, janrichmond said:

I'm just wondering if 'cancel culture' or 'wokeness' has had any affect on my life, I don't think it has tbh. 

Or has it and I've not noticed? or forgotten?

It most likely hasn't in any real or tangible way.  At most it might have inconvenienced you. 

However, for many, this has become the number one concern and should be the basis by which we pick our political leaders and stack our societal priorities.

The world is literally drying up and burning down and yet "cancel culture" is the issue that generally angry white men want to devote most of their time on.  I'm not saying that there aren't problems with how we relate, speak, and treat one another, but the idea that this should be considered a top 100 priority is absurd.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/12/2022 at 6:53 AM, action said:

RATM used to be extreme left, but that exact same attitude makes them right wingers now

when they sing "fuck you I won't do what you tell me", this goes straight against the current left ideology of listening to the experts, get vaccinated, don't drive your car, don't eat meat etc.

Unless of course, they're being a hypocrite, which I suspect they are, same as guns n roses and all those other "dangerous" artists who bend the knee to woke and the technocracy

Or since the lyrics had a way different meaning 30+ years ago when they were written

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, downzy said:

Kanye has been dropped by almost every business relationship he's built over the last ten years.

Some would say this another example of "cancel culture."

I'm more inclined to support the idea that this is simply being held accountable for speaking hate.  

why can't it be both?

the punishment for speaking hate, is being cancelled

most of the people being cancelled in the past, have been cancelled because of perceived speaking hate, in the opinion of the "cancellers"

wether this perception was justified or not, can be debated but by then the cancel procedure has run its course

the cancellers incorporate the function of investigator, jury, judge and executioner.

cancel culture is a form of public tribunal, without a procedure for defense, a procedure for appeal or a procedure for expiration of punishment.

you can argue, that this is "what they deserve", but I strongly disagree. The nazis got a trial too. Had they not been given a trial, people today could argue that they were punished without trial and it would damage the cause against extremism.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, action said:

you can argue, that this is "what they deserve", but I strongly disagree. The nazis got a trial too. Had they not been given a trial, people today could argue that they were punished without trial and it would damage the cause against extremism.

That's strange.  I could have sworn the Nazis were charged for actual crimes like war crimes, crimes against humanity, and crimes against peace at the Nurember trials. 

Remind me again, when were Nazis charged for speaking hate? 

Also, do me a favour and get a fucking clue.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, action said:

why can't it be both?

the punishment for speaking hate, is being cancelled

most of the people being cancelled in the past, have been cancelled because of perceived speaking hate, in the opinion of the "cancellers"

wether this perception was justified or not, can be debated but by then the cancel procedure has run its course

the cancellers incorporate the function of investigator, jury, judge and executioner.

cancel culture is a form of public tribunal, without a procedure for defense, a procedure for appeal or a procedure for expiration of punishment.

What the fuck :lol:

1 hour ago, downzy said:

That's strange.  I could have sworn the Nazis were charged for actual crimes like war crimes, crimes against humanity, and crimes against peace at the Nurember trials. 

Remind me again, when were Nazis charged for speaking hate? 

Also, do me a favour and get a fucking clue.  

hate speech is a crime in many countries. 

if you support a state of justice, you must condemn practises where society acts as prosecutor (cancel culture)

I think my point went over your head.

defining "cancel culture" with reference to "what" is canceled, leads to all sorts of inaccuracies, and is just the wrong way to define the concept.

theft is not defined by "what' is being stolen

murder is not defined by "who" is being murdered, or even "why" someone is murdered.

you will not find any of those elements in law.

cancel culture must be defined, regardless of the things the "cancelled subject" said, or did.

Otherwise, you would end up with "accepted" forms of cancelling, and forms which are not accepted. Which would be totally absurd, as with theft or murder, all sorts of cancelling is detestable behaviour, where society plays for investigator, prosecutor, jury, judge and executioner.

Sometime after the middle ages, we abolished the backwards concept of trial by public. It's only backwards people who are in favor of backwards practises

37 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

What about the Kanye situation do you consider to be inaccurate? Unprovoked, he took it upon himself to publicly make anti-Semitic remarks inciting violence against all Jewish people. 

"Murder is not defined by who is being murdered or even why someone is murdered. You will not find any of those elements in law."

What about self-defense or manslaughter?

The way I look at it is this; mob mentality, sanctimonious virtue signalling etc (which I'm not aware of being present in this Kanye situation) is fucking annoying and more than that it is dangerous. But A) So is publicly inciting bigoted violence. B) There's also a little thing called personal responsibility. Live by the sword, die by the sword. You make your bed, you fucking better well sleep in it. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt. Etc.

It's why ultimately you will never see me bitch(at least not much or for too long :lol:), if people react negatively to something I've 'ACTUALLY' said or done. Example, I swear too much and have a bit of a temper. If someone wants to write me off as a bastard for that I may be irritated or even hurt but hey so be it, if I care so much I could've and should've put more effort in, presenting myself, being polite/diplomatic. People need to be responsible and own what they say and do.

Kanye lost his damn mind, I'm not even upset. He needs help plus he's dumb so he spews out whatever hateful shit someone fed him.

49 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

What about the Kanye situation do you consider to be inaccurate? Unprovoked, he took it upon himself to publicly make anti-Semitic remarks inciting violence against all Jewish people. 

"Murder is not defined by who is being murdered or even why someone is murdered. You will not find any of those elements in law."

What about self-defense or manslaughter?

The way I look at it is this; mob mentality, sanctimonious virtue signalling etc (which I'm not aware of being present in this Kanye situation) is fucking annoying and more than that it is dangerous. But A) So is publicly inciting bigoted violence. B) There's also a little thing called personal responsibility. Live by the sword, die by the sword. You make your bed, you fucking better well sleep in it. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt. Etc.

It's why ultimately you will never see me bitch(at least not much or for too long :lol:), if people react negatively to something I've 'ACTUALLY' said or done. Example, I swear too much and have a bit of a temper. If someone wants to write me off as a bastard for that I may be irritated or even hurt but hey so be it, if I care so much I could've and should've put more effort in, presenting myself, being polite/diplomatic. People need to be responsible and own what they say and do.

I have not commented on the kanye situation, I was discussing the defintion of the abstract concept of "cancel culture"

I agree with your assessment on kanye's behaviour

self defense is not murder when the conditions as described under law are met. The law defines self-defense, not the public. Suppose you are bullied by someone, you murder him, and you claim "self defense", then it may be self defense according to "your" definition, but it's not self defense as described by the law (the law, is all that matters)

The point i'm trying to make is, not that kanye was "unrightfully" cancelled, but the mere fact that he was cancelled at all, regardless of behaviour. He should be tried, in court, by rule of law. I'd argue the same way if he blew up a church full of children. 

Look, we need to think about what kind of society we want. Do we want "the mob" to take means in their own hands, or do we still believe in the justice system and leave it to te justice system, to put people on trial? I believe in the latter. I'm not interested in middle ages witch huntings.