Famous Brazilian journalist claims GNR has quit Lollapalooza Brazil 2021

Norberto Flesch, who usually gets big scoops in the music/festivals/gigs field in Brazil, says GNR gave up presenting at Lollapalooza Brazil this year. He claims the band has now "other plans", despite not specifying what plans would them be.

Edited by Todo Poderoso Timão
title change
  • Like 1

• Todo Poderoso Timão changed the title to Famous Brazilian journalist claims GNR has quit Lollapalooza Brazil 2021

They know its not happening we know its not happening but of course like last year it will be  very last minute to hear from Guns and 2022 everyone is wanting to tour the market will be flooded 

Its only just over 3 months to 1st EU show 

Edited by Gavin82

4 hours ago, Gavin82 said:

They know its not happening we know its not happening but of course like last year it will be  very last minute to hear from Guns and 2022 everyone is wanting to tour the market will be flooded 

Its only just over 3 months to 1st EU show 

I think it depends on contractual situations. I don't think they are deliberately letting people know late. There's a whole chain of contracts in place in these situations (Guns book venue, venue books contractors, contractors sub-contract... and so on) and people are just avoiding liability. If Guns preemtively cancel, before their supplier cancels, Guns could be in breach of contract and be liable, so they need to wait until the chain falls into place.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

33 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

I think it depends on contractual situations. I don't think they are deliberately letting people know late. There's a whole chain of contracts in place in these situations (Guns book venue, venue books contractors, contractors sub-contract... and so on) and people are just avoiding liability. If Guns preemtively cancel, before their supplier cancels, Guns could be in breach of contract and be liable, so they need to wait until the chain falls into place.

Guns doesn't book anything. The promoter books Guns and the promoter won't cancel until the government gives a definite ban on large gatherings or it is clear that those bans and travel restrictions won't be lifted. Since now it is piecemeal from week to week, the promoter will wait until it is clear that the ban on large gatherings definitely is not lifted. Even though it is clear to pretty much everyone that nothing will change in the near future. So in effect it is the government that cancels/prohibits the event and not the promoter. If the promoter cancels on his own, it could open him up to all kinds of liability. Even though, by now I think these contracts have to be worded differently than what they used to be.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Guns doesn't book anything. The promoter books Guns and the promoter won't cancel until the government gives a definite ban on large gatherings or it is clear that those bans and travel restrictions won't be lifted. Since now it is piecemeal from week to week, the promoter will wait until it is clear that the ban on large gatherings definitely is not lifted. Even though it is clear to pretty much everyone that nothing will change in the near future. So in effect it is the government that cancels/prohibits the event and not the promoter. If the promoter cancels on his own, it could open him up to all kinds of liability. Even though, by now I think these contracts have to be worded differently than what they used to be.

Spot on. Everyone is just ducking liability at the moment. Even the government situation (which you're right to flag) doesn't always rule the roost - I had some flights booked for 2020, government extended the travel ban beyond the date of the flights so the flights could not legally happen, so I requested a refund, but now the airline is saying I cancelled (as opposed to them cancelling) as I requested a refund prior to the airline cancelling the flight, even though the airline would definitely have had to cancel the flight due to the government travel ban (and in fact sunsequently did so only a few days later).

Edit - it doesn't mean I've lost all my money, but does severely restrict my options. Instead of a full refund I'm stuck with non-changeable non-transferrable time-limited credit voucher.

Edited by ToonGuns

26 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Edit - it doesn't mean I've lost all my money, but does severely restrict my options. Instead of a full refund I'm stuck with non-changeable non-transferrable time-limited credit voucher.

Ooh. That sucks. I hate these fucking companies, who use every loophole to still cheat you out of your money. I had a similar problem for a concert ticket in Italy, for a cancelled concert for which I missed the deadline to ask for a voucher (I had tried to get my money back instead). A deadline which is ridiculous and arbitrary anyway, as they only would have issued a voucher and held on to my money until the end of 2021. Crooks and thieves, altogether.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gavin82 said:

@ToonGuns where do you have tixs for UK? There was refunds i had mime easy just fill out online TM form.

It was flights where I got shafted for tickets. But I do have tickets for later in 2021 - to see Studio Ghibli classical orchestra from Japan in August, and Steven Wilson in September. Reckon both of them are touch and go as well. I didn't bother rebooking Guns tickets and got a refund from their 2020 London gig. Lost interest. Only reason I got them in the first place was in the hope of new music, and to see Spurs new stadium.

On 2/13/2021 at 12:03 AM, Live Like a Suicide said:

Not surprising. Brazil is up shit creek with COVID-19, and will certainly still be facing problems later this year.

And probably during the entire next year! Things are going pretty bad over here, and we are also amid to a governement coup at any moment now. We are at the brink of a major economic closure and a violent dictatorship regime.

So I don't see anything happening in Brazil before 2023 or late 2022.

• Sad 1
  • Wow 2

4 hours ago, Legendador said:

And probably during the entire next year! Things are going pretty bad over here, and we are also amid to a governement coup at any moment now. We are at the brink of a major economic closure and a violent dictatorship regime.

So I don't see anything happening in Brazil before 2023 or late 2022.

I am so sorry it has come to this

• Like 2

On 2/13/2021 at 5:44 PM, PatrickS77 said:

Ooh. That sucks. I hate these fucking companies, who use every loophole to still cheat you out of your money. I had a similar problem for a concert ticket in Italy, for a cancelled concert for which I missed the deadline to ask for a voucher (I had tried to get my money back instead). A deadline which is ridiculous and arbitrary anyway, as they only would have issued a voucher and held on to my money until the end of 2021. Crooks and thieves, altogether.

Any chance you're talking about one of Paul McCartney's concerts in Italy?

12 hours ago, Ikeziri said:

Fake news.

No it's not. It's still an avoidable possibility, though.

As far as Lollapalooza, GNR will not be the only one cancelling it. It's a huge shift in the schedule for all bands in the lineup (and I bet it needs to be coordinated with other Latin American dates), and everything in a still uncertain scenario. The pandemic will still be here and all over the world, with variable levels of impact. It just don't make business sense to be on hold for this shit to happen. 

Also, GNR doesn't need festivals to play in South America. It's easier and maybe more lucrative, but nothing stops them to just reschedule their dates here when the time is right.

• Like 1