This band is on f'n fire right now

11 minutes ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

How do you know they are playing without a click? Comparing song versions?

BPM dropped, it's quite obvious. The songs sound a lot closer to the studio tempos now, Axl isn't singing as static and rushed anymore (had he prepared he'd sound above alright by now) and Slash plays out the actual notes and melodies with proper bends, slides, hammer-on's etc. instead of just fake-shredding and noodling like before. Sounds more like GNR now, at least to me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cyllan said:

I’m really glad some people seem to be enjoying this tour. Personally, I can’t get enthused over the ‘new’ song and performances ranging from dreadful to merely decent.  I had no plans to see them in Europe in 2020 and this hasn’t changed my mind for 2022 (if these even happen).

As someone who is old enough to remember them during their UYI days, I would have to agree with you. I can still remember crowding around the TV late at night to watch the 1992 Paris PPV show and comparing this version of the band to that one is night and day--but what can be done? They're old now. The fire is out. They (quite literally) can't be that dangerous, pissed-off, take-names-and-let-God-sort-them-out thing anymore. So I guess we just have to deal with it.

Personally, I'm way more anxious to hear new music than I am to see them live. Good or bad, I know I'm at least going to be interested in that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, adamsapple said:

BPM dropped, it's quite obvious. The songs sound a lot closer to the studio tempos now, Axl isn't singing as static and rushed anymore (had he prepared he'd sound above alright by now) and Slash plays out the actual notes and melodies with proper bends, slides, hammer-on's etc. instead of just fake-shredding and noodling like before. Sounds more like GNR now, at least to me.

Why the hell does Frank count the intro of SCOM on the hat? I guess it's because Slash has a tendency to start songs off really quick when he has his way.

They haven't been on a click for any of the NITL tour (maybe a song here or there... maybe). 

BPM dropped just means they said in rehearsal that the songs were too fast, and now they are mindful of that a pulling back rather just going for it without a thought for the feel of the song. They definitely sound much better than they on the previous legs of NITL... well Axl obviously isn't 2016 level, but the band are way tighter.

13 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Why the hell does Frank count the intro of SCOM on the hat? I guess it's because Slash has a tendency to start songs off really quick when he has his way.

Doesn't he do that on EVERY song?! I mean it just sounds soooo odd hearing an open hi-hat count into Estranged. 

Don't take it personally Tom, but the band might be on fire, but it's the same show for 6 years now with little changes, but it's basically the same.

And then they put out 1 new song, which is just terrible and actually nothing new. 

It's a pure cash grab. 

I agree, Slash plays very good and Axl seems motivated, but his voice is totally gone.

There's not a single reason for me to buy a ticket for any of their shows next year here in Europe. 

Sorry.

On 8/15/2021 at 6:53 AM, James Bond said:

The band is definitely way tighter. I think the slower tempos have helped the songs find their groove again. While I've never had a problem with Frank, it seems like he's toned down his flourishes and extra fills so I feel like that also helps with the overall sound. I think that's probably a welcome change for those who considered his drumming a weak spot. Close your eyes when Jungle kicks off and it could easily be a UYI tour version.

The set list is better. Yes, it's mostly the same and I'd like to see those extra covers disappear forever considering how many actual GNR songs remain on the options list, but nevertheless I think the set is stronger. A lot of the fat has been trimmed so while I'm unable to attend a show this tour I feel like the pacing comes across better now.

Then there's Axl...

I'm not going to shit on him. He's clearly giving it his all and this tour is the most talkative and happy he's been in a long time, perhaps ever. It's long been a running joke on the forum but he is genuinely looking less bloated and cracking jokes. :lol:

I just really wish he'd reconsider his approach to some of the songs. No shame in being unable to do some of it anymore at his age.

I agree with all of this. I don't mind Frank as much now and I was pretty vocal before about my dislike of his playing. I'm excited to see them in a few weeks and I hope they've brought out some deep cuts by then.

• Like 3

On 8/15/2021 at 11:18 AM, adamsapple said:

Compared to the previous leg they do sound much better without click and pyro now.

Saw a video of ISE from the last show and Axl was smiling and waving at the crowd all the time, good stuff. He does improve a little with every show as usual, but imo his singing still far from worth what they charge for tickets right now.

Still not too impressed with Slash yet, though he is less sloppy than before, it feels like the "it" somehow is still missing. I enjoy Richard's guitaring more at the moment, it's a shame he is so low in the mix and gets so few solos, he's really good.

Less going through the motions (or maybe just better acting), however, things are looking up a bit.

I didn't want to, but I think I'm gonna see them one more time when they come to Europe next year.

Of course you want to you know you do😄, might be the last time ever before you know it! Remember the long no shows in Europe between 01 - 06 and in 06-010 012-017? I saw them first in 2010. But yeah they are getting older now and you never know when this thing ends. 

• Like 1

Well, i'm judging based on youtube videos, so that's not the best way and i'm not trying to be a dick here.

Band is tighter, instrumental is the best that i've heard since 2016. Tempo, drums, guitar, bass, backing vocals. Everything is better than 2016.

But Axl is not. He struggled a lot in the Denver show compared to Missoula. And i'm bit worried about that, cause it's possible that he reached the peak and estagneted.

And if Missoula is the peak, it's better stop and try working on his voice (vocal teachers, lowing the key, cirurgy) to do a decent come back, cause now it's painfull to listen.

Love you Axl, but do something different for god sake.

Edited by ChrisMaciel

There's a huge gulf between saying "hey, I had a great time at the GNR show" and saying "the show was perfect musically". 

People seem really sensitive about being able to be objective. Not just when it comes to GNR, but when it comes to a lot of things in life now. 

I don't doubt anyone saying they had fun, whatsoever. But from the little I've heard, Axl sounds all over the shop and the band are sloppy at times. These things aren't mutually exclusive. 

I mean, fucking hell, I loved the remake of 'House Of Wax' but I'm not going to argue that it was a fantastic film or anything! 

On 8/15/2021 at 11:35 PM, adamsapple said:

You know you can decrease BPM's and still have a click. They probably are still using a click. To know if they are using it you'd have to hear Frank's In ear. and an indication they weren't using it is to increase and decrease BPMS during the same song

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

There's a huge gulf between saying "hey, I had a great time at the GNR show" and saying "the show was perfect musically". 

People seem really sensitive about being able to be objective. Not just when it comes to GNR, but when it comes to a lot of things in life now. 

I don't doubt anyone saying they had fun, whatsoever. But from the little I've heard, Axl sounds all over the shop and the band are sloppy at times. These things aren't mutually exclusive. 

I mean, fucking hell, I loved the remake of 'House Of Wax' but I'm not going to argue that it was a fantastic film or anything! 

Yeah I agree with this - the general consensus is that if Axl doesn't sound fantastic, you don't have a great time, which is nonsense in my view.

I have been to 16 shows with Axl now and seen him in varying states of quality but I've had a great time at each and every one of them. The show is so much more than just his voice. Totally understand it is a big part and I would say that the shows where he has been absolutely on fire have been the highlights, but I've had an absolute blast in all of the others too.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

Yeah I agree with this - the general consensus is that if Axl doesn't sound fantastic, you don't have a great time, which is nonsense in my view.

I have been to 16 shows with Axl now and seen him in varying states of quality but I've had a great time at each and every one of them. The show is so much more than just his voice. Totally understand it is a big part and I would say that the shows where he has been absolutely on fire have been the highlights, but I've had an absolute blast in all of the others too.

This isn’t the point. You think there’s no sense of objectivity? Most of us have been going to concerts for many, many years and have seen multitudes of bands from where to draw perspectives. And the sad reality is relative to every other band these shows were, are and likely will remain subpar. For many of us it’s quite distinct and it only highlights the fact that Axl has been reluctant to practice, rehearse and train his voice adequately over many years. He only does so “in fits and starts”. Completely unbecoming for a musician on his distinction and level. He has the dubious honor of being unprofessional.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokingarthur said:

This isn’t the point. You think there’s no sense of objectivity? Most of us have been going to concerts for many, many years and have seen multitudes of bands from where to draw perspectives. And the sad reality is relative to every other band these shows were, are and likely will remain subpar. For many of us it’s quite distinct and it only highlights the fact that Axl has been reluctant to practice, rehearse and train his voice adequately over many years. He only does so “in fits and starts”. Completely unbecoming for a musician on his distinction and level. He has the dubious honor of being unprofessional.

But that's a subjective opinion... you're saying that the performance of this band compared to others is subpar. That is not something that can ever be proven because it's a subjective, emotional response, is it not? I don't disagree that it is frustrating watching Axl sometimes because you know what he is capable of (comparing AXL/DC to any GN'R show since 2010 is futile) but you cannot prove as a fact that the shows are less enjoyable - enjoyment is subjective.