Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

You know what the weird thing is, I've got a certain someone blocked but yet I see a flurry of activity in a certain thread and I already kinda know who is causing this. Painting a target on your back is what I would like to call that.

Edited by grouse

2 minutes ago, grouse said:

You know what the weird thing is, I've got a certain someone blocked but yet I see flurry of activity in a certain thread and I already kinda know who is causing this. Painting a target on your back is what I would like to call that.

I would call that shitting where you're eating

• Like 1

I found out that my Uncle, my mom's brother, had covid two weeks ago. Started with a cough. He works in a supermarket and still wears a mask and has been vaccinated, but others came down with it too. Luckily, he wasn't bad and was over it within 5 days.

Really sick and tired of it. Just happy he's okay and if any of us get it, since we're boosted, hopefully we will be okay.

Hope you guys enjoyed Chrismas.

Next up, New Years!

• Like 1

I don't like to hear that some people talk shit about others.

We all have different opinions and that's a good thing, but we should all be civil to each other. There's enough hate in the country and the world.  We come here to discuss GNR and other subjects and we don't need to feel badly.

I would say most of us are adults, so let's act like it and try to be better .

On 12/19/2022 at 1:05 PM, SoulMonster said:

It is only natural that the media gets fatigue from talking about one single subject that has dominated the news for such a long time. Also as most people have been vaccinated and the disease is much less of a concern (although, old people keep dying, of course).

It isn't a "another version of the flu" both because it isn't technically a flu virus and because it was so much more deadly than the seasonal flu.

Cases of what? Here in Norway I think the number of infections have increased a lot because we have stopped wearing facial masks and stopped socially distancing. But it's okay, because almost everyone is well protected through vaccinations and previous infections. We have managed to lower the mortality rate substantially and we don't have to impose various restrictions any more. On that topic, can you remember that you argued fiercely that the social restrictions would be kept even as the disease become less deadly? Well, you were obviously wrong.

As for cases of mortality, people still die from Covid-19 here in Norway, but now only those that are weak and old. 

The delusion is high with this one. Compliant and steerable like there's no tomorrow. Just the way they like it.  

The restrictions aren't imposed because the thing has run it's course. And I mean run it's course in a sense how long can you bombard and instill fear in people before the rationality prevails.

It's the same in countries with low and high vaccination rate. Your experimental potion has very little to do with it. If at all.

Covid-19 has always been dangerous to - to use your own words - weak and the old.

Sweden won.

Edited by Sisyphus

21 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

The delusion is high with this one. Compliant and steerable like there's no tomorrow. Just the way they like it.  

The restrictions aren't imposed because the thing has run it's course. And I mean run it's course in a sense how long can you bombard and instill fear in people before the rationality prevails.

It's the same in countries with low and high vaccination rate. Your experimental potion has very little to do with it. If at all.

Covid-19 has always been dangerous to - to use your own words - weak and the old.

Sweden won.

Again, if I remember correctly, your argument was that the governments used the pandemic to impose restrictions they had no intention to lift when the pandemic was over. You were wrong. Except for China, it seems like most if not all countries have lessened restrictions as a result of people becoming vaccinated. Like I said they would. 

And it is because people have been vaccinated, or been offered to get vaccinated, that "the thing has run its course". Granted, media would likely have written less about it regardless because they do tire of subjects after a while, and it hasn't really "run its course" from an epidemiological perspective since people keep dying from it (although here in Norway only the very weak/old). 

The "experimental potion" is not experimental since it went through rigorous testing before (emergency) approval was granted. You cannot simply keep lying about this and hope reality changes to reflect your opinion. That's not how the world works. You don't have that power. 

As for whether the vaccines had anything to do with whether the disease run its course or not: If you by "run its course" mean that countries came to a point where it was little reason to impose restrictions because people had the offer to get protected through inoculation, then yes, of course the vaccines were the result of that. We could have got to that point without vaccines, too, but then more people would have died and it might have taken longer. 

As for what country "won" (as if this was a competition): That's impossible to say unless we agree on the criteria to use. If we just look at number of Covid-19 related deaths per capita, then I am sure Sweden didn't "win". Besides, you cannot compare countries like this because every country had a different situation, had their own peculiar circumstances. Countries with large cities would logically do less well because social distancing is harder; countries where people fear/distrust governments would logically do less well because it would be harder to get people to get inoculated; etc etc. This is way too complicated for simplistic explanations and comparisons.

• Like 1

they did not vaccinate in afrika

covid has runs its course there too, regardless.

and that, with no vaccines, no restrictions, and amateurism all across the board

if we had done like afrika, we would be were africa is today, but without the massive economic, social and psychological damage

58 minutes ago, action said:

they did not vaccinate in afrika

covid has runs its course there too, regardless.

and that, with no vaccines, no restrictions, and amateurism all across the board

if we had done like afrika, we would be were africa is today, but without the massive economic, social and psychological damage

Okay, for the sake of the argument we can talk about Africa as if it is one homogenous region and not widely different countries with widely different Covid-19 stories. No reason to complicate things. Let's dumb it down for your benefit.

You are of course entirely wrong, as usual. African countries did get the vaccines, too, and they did impose restrictions, too (often more readily than many European countries). Yes, in general, less people are vaccinated in African countries, but this is also due to the real reasons why African countries in general have not seen the same mortalities from Covid-19 as, say, European countries.

I don't know what you are thinking about when you say "amateurism all across the board", maybe just offhand racism or whatever Internet hit you will get when you now franticly google for an answer to retrospectively fit your stupidity. Your post is ironically a great example of "amateurism all across the board" with it's untruths, seemingly offhand racism and erroneous conclusion. Heck, you are the very personification of "amateurism all across [this] board".

The real reason why most African countries didn't suffer as much from Covid-19 is believed to be a more favorable climate and a younger population. As for whether they the disease has run its course there, nope, not there either as long as it keeps being one of the main reasons for why people die.

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Okay, for the sake of the argument we can talk about Africa as if it is one homogenous region and not widely different countries with widely different Covid-19 stories. No reason to complicate things. Let's dumb it down for your benefit.

You are of course entirely wrong, as usual. African countries did get the vaccines, too, and they did impose restrictions, too (often more readily than many European countries). Yes, in general, less people are vaccinated in African countries, but this is also due to the real reasons why African countries in general have not seen the same mortalities from Covid-19 as, say, European countries.

I don't know what you are thinking about when you say "amateurism all across the board", maybe just offhand racism or whatever Internet hit you will get when you now franticly google for an answer to retrospectively fit your stupidity. Your post is ironically a great example of "amateurism all across the board" with it's untruths, seemingly offhand racism and erroneous conclusion. Heck, you are the very personification of "amateurism all across [this] board".

The real reason why most African countries didn't suffer as much from Covid-19 is believed to be a more favorable climate and a younger population. As for whether they the disease has run its course there, nope, not there either as long as it keeps being one of the main reasons for why people die.

african governments are, by and large, corrupt and dictatorial. Or are you going to argue that the likes of mugabe and kabila are examples of good governmentship.

Your attempt at making a factual observation about race, is pathetic.

At least, you acknowledge that african countries didn't suffer as much from covid.

And yes, they DID vaccinate less, the restrictions WERE less, and government response was chaotic and amateuristic as with pretty much every other social issue they have to deal with.

Edited by action

Africa is a mess and since this continent has nothing the world needs it won't get any help from America or the rest of the world.

they still have slavery and tyrants that lead many of the countries. One big mess.

What I would like to know is why no African Americans go to help them? I never hear of Jay Z or any other so called African Americans going to give money for aid or help get those poor souls out of there. One big joke!

Bono has done more for Africa then any one else. And oh and Madonna adopted a kid from there too. 

This continent has suffered for centuries and will continue to do so. Very sad.

• Haha 2

On 1/8/2023 at 2:32 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Africa is a mess and since this continent has nothing the world needs it won't get any help from America or the rest of the world.

they still have slavery and tyrants that lead many of the countries. One big mess.

What I would like to know is why no African Americans go to help them? I never hear of Jay Z or any other so called African Americans going to give money for aid or help get those poor souls out of there. One big joke!

Bono has done more for Africa then any one else. And oh and Madonna adopted a kid from there too. 

This continent has suffered for centuries and will continue to do so. Very sad.

Man your posts are stupid. :lol:

This might be the highlight in the hall of fame of your stupid posts

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

Man your posts are stupid. :lol:

This might be the highlight in the hall of fame of your stupid posts

actually, her post made a lot of sense

through the 20 th century, and on to this day, the african people are left to themselves. There's famine, civil war, dictatorship... 

Africa is one big slump. Their people are kept stupid by the west. The age of colonialism and catholic preaching has destroyed the african culture and caused a lot of turmoil.

You have to wonder why. It's because the west benefits from a weak africa of course. The west can continue to plunder the continent, but this time through the facade of development efforts.

that's why I don't ever give a penny for development for africa; it always ends up in some fraudulent company's hands.

There is no good in this world, and we're all doomed.

Edited by action

40 minutes ago, action said:

actually, her post made a lot of sense

through the 20 th century, and on to this day, the african people are left to themselves. There's famine, civil war, dictatorship... 

Africa is one big slump. Their people are kept stupid by the west. The age of colonialism and catholic preaching has destroyed the african culture and caused a lot of turmoil.

You have to wonder why. It's because the west benefits from a weak africa of course. The west can continue to plunder the continent, but this time through the facade of development efforts.

that's why I don't ever give a penny for development for africa; it always ends up in some fraudulent company's hands.

There is no good in this world, and we're all doomed.

Africa is not a country, it's a continent of over 50 countries and you're saying everyone of them is the same.

'that's why I don't ever give a penny for development for africa; it always ends up in some fraudulent company's hands'

Why doesn't this surprise me?

9 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Africa is not a country, it's a continent of over 50 countries and you're saying everyone of them is the same.

'that's why I don't ever give a penny for development for africa; it always ends up in some fraudulent company's hands'

Why doesn't this surprise me?

africa did not really have internal countries until the west divided the continent under the colonial era from the 19th century, under the influence of the white middle class in africa. The african people always were grouped in "tribes", not nations as we know them in the western world.

Look at the borders of the african nations. See something peculiar? Perhaps, it is the straight lines, as if drawn by a ruler. That's no coincidence. The west has created these borders, not the african people.

So yes, it is more accurate and fair to the african people to describe africa in terms of the continent, than in terms of the arbitrary nations

Edited by action

it is also, in no way derogatory to view africa as a collection of tribes

in the west we were in the same boat, not so long ago.

after the fall of the roman empire, when the frankish warriors took over, western europe was organised in tribes, with a tribal "king", and tribal institutions. This period is known as the early middle ages.

Under the influence of various political philosophers, the powers of the state were centralised, but lack of technical development meant it would be a long time before nations would have efficient central administrations.

It's not easy to rule a country, when it takes a trip of three days to go from one end of the land, to the other.

Africa had never had these internal political thinkers or powers, that would prove fertile ground for the spontaneous emergence of nations. African people do not think this way, they do not see the point in having nations. But is that such a bad thing? We could learn a thing or two from them.

Edited by action

7 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Yes but be careful when saying something like "Africa is just a bunch of tribes." Because there is real historical and ongoing baggage that brings negative racist connotations such as "They're just a bunch of stupid savage tribes people." etc.

I was actually discussing this subject with my stepfather recently. I don't remember how definitive this theory is(I think it may be determined to be true) but apparently human beings naturally thrive in groups of no more than about 50 people. Going beyond that causes us to cut more and more corners socially/emotionally and harmony is lost. Supposedly our brains become overwhelmed.

western people do not know different, than living under a nation with a king or president. They are conditioned, to see the concept of a "tribe" as a bad thing. This is a very supremacist way of viewing things. Our way is best, all the rest is inferior.

The african people do not think this way, themselves.

If a white man claims it's racist to refer to african people as "tribal", he is actually projecting his own culture on to the african people, which is precisely what a white supremacist would do: a white supremacist considers his own culture as supreme (being organised as nations, catholicism etc).

In short, it's the problem of those who shout "racist", not my problem.

to call africa a tribal continent therefore is not racist; it is a sign of empathy and understanding.

12 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

but apparently human beings naturally thrive in groups of no more than about 50 people. Going beyond that causes us to cut more and more corners socially/emotionally and harmony is lost. Supposedly our brains become overwhelmed.

when the group becomes too large, you get what sociologists call "atomisation" of the individual. All individualities are sacrificed, for the good of the "mass". In other words: mass formation.

The larger a group of people, the more likely that dictatorship will arise. The nazis could only thrive, on the wave of their massive support from the german people. The individual was "overpowered" by the suggestive powers from the mass, that everyone started to support the nazis. 

It is the very same mechanics that made us accept mouth masks as normal. At the very beginning, people were openly calling mouth masks ridiculous. But, as social pressure increased, those people wore a mouth mask regardless. Do not underestimate the power of social pressure. It turns people in hypocrites.

2 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Human beings generally, not just specifically Africans, are tribal by nature.

I understand your point. But you also need to be wary of the context, if you don't want assumptions to be made.

"German people are actually just tribal."

"Africans/blacks are actually just tribal."

Both of those statements, as you know, will generally be received differently for obvious reasons. So just be more clear or don't be surprised by those expected assumptions, that's all I'm saying.

yeah, I know Oldest Goat. I fully expect to be called racist, and it would surprise me if it doesnt happen.

But it is the truth, wether "they" like it or not.

I cringe with people waving the "racism" card, but they don't have a single clue about african history. Most people are mindless drones, just following the cattle, hoping to score social justice points. Pathetic. We will all be judged when we die, but my conscious is crystal clear.