UYI boxset will be released 11/11/22. In Slash We Trust. * Now available *

As I suspected, the new track is dynamically crushed and too loud. The drums are also way too reverby, probably a side effect of said over-loudness (they were never suppose to be that high in the mix). 

Don't throw out your CDs/vinyl folks. Like almost all remasters, the originals are superior.

I bought a bootleg called "44 Caliber Horticulture" back in, I think, November of '88 (yup, I'm old as dirt:lol:) that had both the acoustic and piano demos of NR on them, and it was right around the time Axl was talking about the follow up to AFD, and said something like "If I can't record this song the way I want, I'll quit the business" or something to that affect.  So when the UYI version came out with all these layers, and the "orchestra" part, along with the COMPLETELY CHEESY video, that is when, to me, GN'R jumped the shark. 

This version, while still too overblown for my tastes compared to my first intro to the song, flows way better than the UYI track .  But neither one will ever touch the rough, but absolutely haunting acoustic version I heard all those years ago.

• Like 1

For me this is absolutely revelatory. Since Chinese Axl has seemingly used mix engineers at random, my least favourite being the job done by Chris Lord-Alge on Shadow of Your Love. I always liked November Rain, but I found the mix and the synth orchestra off, but now I feel I fully understand it. Everything about this is better. It's magisterial. I say this as someone who likes the mix done on Illusions by Bill Price (I also love his original punk work). 

Edited by Malcolm Malcolm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WillBailey said:

Btw I can confirm the Blu-ray will not be in widescreen (16/9) format but letterbox (4/3). Which is odd because the promotion video was in widescreen format.

This is good news because thats the correct aspect ratio of the original footage. No cropping for widescreen. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

6 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

So they’ve remixed the whole song but can’t even be bothered to explain the question on all of our minds:

Why was it necessary to dive directly through the fucking wedding cake?!

Likewise, Morahan’s original treatment never included a man diving headlong into the wedding cake but, he says, “Axl and I wanted this ‘Godfather’-type of ostentatious wedding that gets absolutely splattered. It’s not supposed to be realistic.It’s supposed to be completely [over the top].” They had just about wrapped the scene — shot at Villa del Sol d’Oro, a 1920s-era Tuscan-style villa in Sierra Madre — when Rose threw out an idea: Why not have someone dive into the cake?

“Without a proper stunt coordinator, we should probably never have ever done it,” Morahan says. “But it literally was our last shot [and we thought], ‘What harm can it do?’” Pearl thought it looked ridiculous but a do-over was impossible because there wasn’t a backup cake. Morahan agreed that it didn’t quite work and left the shot out of his original edit of the video, prompting Rose to ask, “‘Where’s the cake?’” Back in it went.

“Everybody loves it. And people talk about it all the time,” says Pearl, whose credits include “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” and “Billie Jean.” “But to me, it still looks wrong.” Morahan is less bothered by it: “It’s part of rock ’n’ roll folklore now.”

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2022-06-07/novemeber-rain-guns-n-roses-music-video-making-of-30th-anniversary

• Like 2

4 hours ago, UncleJosh said:

Amazon Music has NR 2022 in Ultra HD.  24/96

Also most of the remastered tracks can already be streamed on Amazon Music.

I signed up for free trial, downloaded the app, added the three so far released tracks to my library, and when I went to the library (to the "songs" tab) all the remastered studio tracks appeared, plus Sweet Child O' Mine live from Las Vegas, and most of them played for me (SCOM from Las Vegas didn't).

Edited by Blackstar

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Also most of the remastered tracks can already be streamed on Amazon Music.

I signed up for free trial, downloaded the app, added the three so far released tracks to my library, and when I went to the library all the remastered studio tracks appeared, plus Sweet Child O' Mine live from Las Vegas, and most of them played for me.

And how it sounds?

Just now, axlvai said:

And how it sounds?

I haven't listened to them fully yet. I only checked which ones can be played.

Also, correction: not all the tracks appear (e.g. Coma, Bad Apples, Garden of Eden and some others are not there). It seems they're getting uploaded on Amazon.

2 hours ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

So they’ve remixed the whole song but can’t even be bothered to explain the question on all of our minds:

Why was it necessary to dive directly through the fucking wedding cake?!

From what I read, it was Axl's idea. Just a "hey, jump through the cake!" I think it was meant to be funny

I guess it was their version of jumping the shark, maybe referring to what was happening in the band. But since Axl likes dolphins, not sharks, he said hey, shark park, another take will be cake. And since nobody dared contesting him and Beta's claws hadn't been that deep yet, that's what remained in the final video. It was taken literally, like everything else; and when someone later explained to these film people that "let there be light" could actually mean the big bang, they are said to have had a heart attack. 

5 hours ago, Chris 55 said:

From what I read, it was Axl's idea. Just a "hey, jump through the cake!" I think it was meant to be funny

It is funny. I think it fits the video perfectly. The November Rain video is so pompous and grandiose with all kinds of dramatic and melancholic scenes, that it needs some levity too. To kind of balance it a little. And it kind of weaves different emotions together. Like in life you love, you loss, you cry, but you laugh too. Plus the funeral scene hits you a bit harder after the lighthearted wedding scenes.