Best GNR Album?

What's the best Guns N' Roses album?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. What's the best Guns N' Roses album?

• Appetite For Destruction (1987)
    • Lies (1988)
    • Use Your Illusion I (1991)
    • Use Your Illusion II (1991)
    • The Spaghetti Incident (1993)
    • Live Era (1999)
    • Chinese Democracy (2008)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/20/2022 at 04:13 PM

Whenever I review the albums, especially when I compare both UYI, I always feel that the track list of UYI 2 feels kinda strange, especially the order of the songs. For example 

1. Why does it open with Civil War? It's a good song, but no album opener. It's slow, long, builds up slowly and for an GNR song it's one of the more complicated /serious songs. Something like pretty tied up would have worked better imo. 

2. Why do they hide the hits at the back of the album? When listening to the album, I always feel it's complete after Estranged. Then suddenly, YCBM kicks in, and then don't cry basically closes the album (which even with alt lyrics is basically the same song as the succesful single). These two song don't seem to really serve a purpose on the album flow. 

3. There is a big "gap" in the middle of the album. While on UYI, November Rain is kind of the center / highlight, whereas on UYI, between tracks 5-10, there is no major hit. Even though some of these songs are my personal favorites, it feels kind of odd and makes it harder to get into the album than it needs to be. All the singles /hits are placed within the first or last four songs. 

4. Additionaly, songs like GITR or shotgun blues feel completely out of order and maybe would have worked better on UYI 1.

Does anybody feels similar about the track list of UYI 2?

I feel overall, due to these points UYI 1 works better as an album on itself. 

Still, I believe that the individual songs on UYI 2 are better, hence it's still my favorite of these two (with appetite being on number 1).

1) Appetite, but just because it’s Appetite. 
2) UYI I and II. Can’t pick one, that’s nonsense, plus it’s meant as a complex thing anyway. 
3) Lies. Not counting the EP. 
- Can’t really count the covers, because it’s not GN’R.
- Can’t really count the live material - it wouldn't really make sense, since were talking studio here. 
- Can’t really count the Axl’s solo record, as it’s basically an anomaly and practically a different band. 
There. It’s so easy! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

1) Appetite, but just because it’s Appetite. 
2) UYI I and II. Can’t pick one, that’s nonsense, plus it’s meant as a complex thing anyway. 
3) Lies. Not counting the EP. 
- Can’t really count the covers, because it’s not GN’R.
- Can’t really count the live material - it wouldn't really make sense, since were talking studio here. 
- Can’t really count the Axl’s solo record, as it’s basically an anomaly and practically a different band. 
There. It’s so easy! 

Chinese cunts twice as long to make it took double!

• Haha 1

AFD is a masterpiece. UYI 1 & 2 are great. I like the three others as well but they are playing in another (lower) league.

(Feels redundant to write "IMO", b/c of course this is my opinion. Can't be objective about these things... oups, I wrote "IMO" anyway. Fuck.)

On 3/14/2022 at 8:44 PM, Kardeshma said:

Whenever I review the albums, especially when I compare both UYI, I always feel that the track list of UYI 2 feels kinda strange, especially the order of the songs. For example 

1. Why does it open with Civil War? It's a good song, but no album opener. It's slow, long, builds up slowly and for an GNR song it's one of the more complicated /serious songs. Something like pretty tied up would have worked better imo. 

2. Why do they hide the hits at the back of the album? When listening to the album, I always feel it's complete after Estranged. Then suddenly, YCBM kicks in, and then don't cry basically closes the album (which even with alt lyrics is basically the same song as the succesful single). These two song don't seem to really serve a purpose on the album flow. 

3. There is a big "gap" in the middle of the album. While on UYI, November Rain is kind of the center / highlight, whereas on UYI, between tracks 5-10, there is no major hit. Even though some of these songs are my personal favorites, it feels kind of odd and makes it harder to get into the album than it needs to be. All the singles /hits are placed within the first or last four songs. 

4. Additionaly, songs like GITR or shotgun blues feel completely out of order and maybe would have worked better on UYI 1.

I feel overall, due to these points UYI 1 works better as an album on itself. 

Still, I believe that the individual songs on UYI 2 are better, hence it's still my favorite of these two (with appetite being on number 1).

Agreed upon the track list. 

On 3/14/2022 at 8:44 PM, Kardeshma said:

Both are uneven, make me skip tracks. Perfect UYI tracklist for me: 1. You Could Be Mine / 2. Locomotive / 3. 14 Years / 4. November Rain / 5. Civil War / 6. Breakdown / 7. Estranged / 8. Dead Horse / 9. Coma / 10. Don't Cry (Alt. Lyrics).

1. UYI II

2. UYI I

3. Appetite

4. Chinese

5. TSI?

6. GN’R Lies

Appetite is brilliant for what it is- but I’ll take the ambition, and diversity (a la Queen) of the Illusions. It’s the twins IMHO that put Guns just barely safe in the “70s Classic Rock/throwback” lane, when many of their 80s Appetite-era contemporaries got completely dust-binned in the early/mid 90s.

Since we’re positioning subjective opinion as “definite” fact and the only correct answer — I’ll contribute this:

UYI I is far better than UYI II. Some of you guys are “fucking crazy”, to partially quote GN’R.

UYI1 is not only better from beginning to end, the fact that “My World” is on 2 invalidates any counter argument. Period, end of story. Have a nice day!

Edited by thunderram
  • GNFNR 1