(Interview) Matt Sorum Looks Back At Drumming For Some Of The Biggest Bands In History

Nothing special, but maybe someone is interested. :)

https://www.spin.com/2022/04/matt-sorum-double-talkin-jive-interview/

Which of those two albums do you like more?
I like both [Laughs.]. The songs I liked the most were “Double Talkin’ Jive” and “You Could Be Mine.” Those would probably be my two most representative tracks that I would go back out and play with the guys if they wanted me back for two songs. I also loved playing “Dust N’ Bones” with Izzy. There’s a lot of good songs on those records.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

It really made no sense to me why they didn’t bring him in for the reunion, It must be that Axl is really loyal to frank. 

They offered him to come play one or two songs at a show during the US leg in 2016 but didn’t offer him any money to go with it, so he turned it down. That said, his new comment here gives me the impression that he now regrets that choice…

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

They offered him to come play one or two songs at a show during the US leg in 2016 but didn’t offer him any money to go with it, so he turned it down. I that said, his new comment here gives me the impression that he now regrets that choice…

My guess is he didn't think the reunion would go on for as long as it has.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, SlashisGOD said:

Would love to have Matt back on drums and Gilby on rhythm guitar. 

I'd be cool with Matt replacing Frank. I like Fortus a lot, his lead playing is stellar as well. I wish he was featured more in the studio, but of course that remains to be seen with CD2. :)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

Serious question as I stopped caring a long time ago after all the delays, but did his book ever receive an official release? 

Oh yeah, you're right. And if so, I wonder whether the book contains that Duff/Matt talk about Frank as was in the pdf. 

Absolutely. You, Slash, and Duff had a long run where you all were as thick as thieves.
We ran like a gang. There wasn’t one thing we didn’t do together and I was obligated to drink with them. In those days, I was a bigger guy than I am now so I could put away a lot of alcohol. Even if they got drunker than I did, I could carry them out of a club. It happened a few times. We were these three guys that were just loving the experience, three pirates on a pirate ship purveying the land.

What about Axl?
Axl did his own thing. In retrospect, he had to be this guy that was focusing on the show every night. He was the greatest frontman of that era. It was all eyes on Axl.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

My guess is he didn't think the reunion would go on for as long as it has.

Yeah, probably. In addition to that, if they really offered him no money at all for those guest appearences, that can be looked at as an insult. Not cool.

• Like 3

What are some of your memories about making the Use Your Illusion albums?
It was a different band with a different vision for what Axl wanted to do. I was surprised when I saw the piano. I thought I was joining a guitar-driven rock band. What he unveiled was next-level, epic proportions songs like “November Rain,” and even songs like “Coma” that were 10 minutes long and I was like “we’re really stepping outside the of the box here.” We could have made AC/DC records or another Appetite for Destruction. But we didn’t. We went into this bigger-than-life, big tom fills. Axl didn’t want want to make Appetite for Destruction again, even though how can you beat that? You can’t. It’s perfect in its own right. Use Your Illusion was supposed to be one record but ended up being two.

11 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

It really made no sense to me why they didn’t bring him in for the reunion, It must be that Axl is really loyal to frank. 

and that matt sorum was an ashole  and talk BIG shit back in the day, maybe now is a cool guy but idk if things r cool with axl, i think he is talking nice things know bc the guys reunited and making big money

Edited by darkside259

4 hours ago, jamillos said:

What are some of the misconceptions about Guns N’ Roses from that era that you wanted to lay out there or maybe dispel about what was going on with the band at that time?

It’s nobody’s fault really. The band was way too big at the time. There’s a lot of people with their paws in the pie, a lot of distractions, too much money, and too many drugs and alcohol. Young guys don’t make clear decisions. I look back and go if that was me now, I’d make a phone call and have a conversation, but it just didn’t seem that easy in those days to do that. To be able to explain things between each other, to help mediate a problem instead of being egotistical about it or being arrogant. It could have gone a different way if there was more communication. Once you’re out of a situation like that, you realize that good God that was a great fucking band and I wish we could have kept it together. If you ask any band that stayed together, they have to go through those struggles, just like any other relationship. You gotta figure it out if you want to keep it together, like, how much is it worth to you? At the same time, when I talk about things that went down, I want to give accolades to people in the group. In the Use Your Illusion era, we were at the height of our game. Axl, Slash and Duff — and even Izzy Stradlin and Gilby — personalities that stand on their own, and sometimes those personalities mix and sometimes they don’t.

Matt here appear like smart guy!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

Oh yeah, you're right. And if so, I wonder whether the book contains that Duff/Matt talk about Frank as was in the pdf. 

If Matt has any sense that story didn't make the final print. Best thing for anybody who wants to be in that circle to do is NOT write a book. But if you have to write a book, don't take digs at the guy who's doing the gig. Matt could have said something about Franks playing without outrightly saying he thought he (Matt) should be playing the gig "good drummer, but doesn't suit the gig" etc. I guarantee Duff will never fess up to saying anything like that about frank... Well outside of Frank being fired. As we've learnt, loyalty only extends to how long your contract is😄

6 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

If Matt has any sense that story didn't make the final print. Best thing for anybody who wants to be in that circle to do is NOT write a book. But if you have to write a book, don't take digs at the guy who's doing the gig. Matt could have said something about Franks playing without outrightly saying he thought he (Matt) should be playing the gig "good drummer, but doesn't suit the gig" etc. I guarantee Duff will never fess up to saying anything like that about frank... Well outside of Frank being fired. As we've learnt, loyalty only extends to how long your contract is😄

Yeah, Matt was apparently burning bridges. 

1 hour ago, SlashisGOD said:

Too expensive apparently.

I think what they meant by why not Izzy, as 'why would you want Gilby over Izzy if the choice of both is there and money isn't a decider'. Of course Gilby would be far less expensive an option for gnr if the situation ever arose, but if we're doing nostalgia I want to see Izzy. Personally I think gnr should go full nostalgia now, hire matt, Steven, Izzy the whole lot. The new album stuff is a waste of time at this point

• Like 1

6 hours ago, darkside259 said:

and that matt sorum was an ashole  and talk BIG shit back in the day, maybe now is a cool guy but idk if things r cool with axl, i think he is talking nice things know bc the guys reunited and making big money

I see your point but Slash and Duff talked a lot of shit about Axl for years but I guess the prospect of making squillions of dollars mends a lot of fences hey

• Like 2

1 hour ago, megaguns1982 said:

I see your point but Slash and Duff talked a lot of shit about Axl for years but I guess the prospect of making squillions of dollars mends a lot of fences hey

yes but slash n duff r original member matt is like a employ for axl point of view 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SlashisGOD said:

Would love to have Matt back on drums and Gilby on rhythm guitar. 

Yes please

13 hours ago, ssiscool said:

Why not Izzy?

Izzy wasn't interested the first time around, I don't think he would do it now either. I'm pretty sure Gilby and Matt would come do a tour for the right price.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yes please

Izzy wasn't interested the first time around, I don't think he would do it now either. I'm pretty sure Gilby and Matt would come do a tour for the right price.

At this point, Izzy might be better of staying away from it all. Less money, but he'll forever be the coolest member. 

• Like 2