Doug Goldstein's book

A couple weeks ago Brando from afd hinted that his involvement in writing Doug Goldstein's biography is over. In the latest episode he explained what happened. Basically around 200 pages into the book Goldstein decided they should be getting paid for this, they went to a marketing agency and the manager didn't like what Brando was doing and wanted him out of the project. Frustrated, Brando left the project in the end.

So no idea if the book will ever come out or not, but if it will, it's probably gonna be much less interesting than it could've been. The whole story can be listened here

Also learned that beta was apparently the one who told Axl that Stephanie was cheating on him. Which led to Axl taking her under his wings.

Edited by Stay.Of.Execution
  • Thanks 4

I would love to read this book. There’s probably tons of juicy detail there.

That being said, I’ve always found Goldstein to be pretty obnoxious. He’s got all the annoying traits of guys on the business side of the music industry: inflated sense of ego, loves to name drop, thinks he’s funny, and wants way more credit for the success of an artist than he probably deserves. Plus he still sucks Axl’s ass to an unhealthy degree.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

59 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

A few months ago Doug sent this "testimony" to a Christian movie site (yes, this is really a thing):

https://www.movieguide.org/news-articles/dr-baehrs-blog/testimony-of-former-guns-n-roses-manager-doug-goldstein-i-know-that-if-it-is-gods-will-he-will-provide-a-way.html

I started to notice the differences between “light and dark”. By this, I mean, the differences by those things that were “Godly”, and the things that were “satanic.” I remember listening to the radio, hearing Blue Oyster Cult sing,

“I’m living for giving the Devil his due, I’m burning, burning for you’!!! I immediately thought, “You’ve got to be kidding me”! From that point forward, if I heard “questionable lyrical content”, I’d turn off the radio. Shortly thereafter, the band AC/DC released, “Highway to Hell”, further reinforcing my disdain for anything Satanic.

[...]

I left to College, and quickly got caught up in the crazy life again. All the while, I’d get these reminders from God…. “Doug… Do I have to slap you off your horse to Damascus”? , from God. And being the stubborn Bull-headed personality, that’s what it usually took! I’ve almost died countless times through the years.

[...]

I had married a woman from the Big Island of Hawaii, and only after being married for some years, did I find out that she’s an atheist! In my wildest dreams, I never imagined that a person from as beautiful of a place could NOT believe in our Creator. The dysfunctionality of that relationship manifested in so many ways, that I won’t share, out of respect for my two beautiful sons.

What a psychopath. I was never really fond of Doug. He seemed erratic to me in his thoughts, a kiss ass and thag letter he sent to Axl was one of the most pathetic things ever. 

Plus how he handled the situation back in the day... He's partially at fault for all the tension between the three 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

@Gambit83 I think it's a good thing , I mean does anyone actually trust the guy, let alone like him?

I think he says what he thinks people want to hear and any truths would be highly embellished. 

He always came across as a bit of a chancer IMO.

the article that was posted above is one of the things that bothered me....never did he mention that his mom drank, yet we spent countless hours talking about his family. How can I do my job if he's not being fully transparent? And to waste the story for a nothing article rather than save it for the book? Oh well.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

A few months ago Doug sent this "testimony" to a Christian movie site (yes, this is really a thing):

https://www.movieguide.org/news-articles/dr-baehrs-blog/testimony-of-former-guns-n-roses-manager-doug-goldstein-i-know-that-if-it-is-gods-will-he-will-provide-a-way.html

I started to notice the differences between “light and dark”. By this, I mean, the differences by those things that were “Godly”, and the things that were “satanic.” I remember listening to the radio, hearing Blue Oyster Cult sing,

“I’m living for giving the Devil his due, I’m burning, burning for you’!!! I immediately thought, “You’ve got to be kidding me”! From that point forward, if I heard “questionable lyrical content”, I’d turn off the radio. Shortly thereafter, the band AC/DC released, “Highway to Hell”, further reinforcing my disdain for anything Satanic.

[...]

I left to College, and quickly got caught up in the crazy life again. All the while, I’d get these reminders from God…. “Doug… Do I have to slap you off your horse to Damascus”? , from God. And being the stubborn Bull-headed personality, that’s what it usually took! I’ve almost died countless times through the years.

[...]

I had married a woman from the Big Island of Hawaii, and only after being married for some years, did I find out that she’s an atheist! In my wildest dreams, I never imagined that a person from as beautiful of a place could NOT believe in our Creator. The dysfunctionality of that relationship manifested in so many ways, that I won’t share, out of respect for my two beautiful sons.

He speak same Niven, about God and Satan.....:D

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Debt said:

Doug Goldstien can read? Brando you had to know this guy was a fucking fruit loop. 

Everything seemed fine, just that agency guy fucked the whole thing up. Tells me that you're not supposed to write the whole book first, just send in chapters to be approved. Gtfo, I write how I write. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Blackstar said:

How would it take some years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

Everything seemed fine, just that agency guy fucked the whole thing up. Tells me that you're not supposed to write the whole book first, just send in chapters to be approved. Gtfo, I write how I write. 

You made an excellent point in your podcast that any author trying to organize Doug’s thoughts would be a task in itself. After hearing many of his stories I feel Doug doesnt have good insight into his past with GNR. The story about Beta calling him to get a gun out if Axl’s mouth because he drove everyone out of the band sounded embellished. He also had little to do with Chinese Democracy musically. I think that editor did you a favor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Debt said:

You made an excellent point in your podcast that any author trying to organize Doug’s thoughts would be a task in itself. After hearing many of his stories I feel Doug doesnt have good insight into his past with GNR. The story about Beta calling him to get a gun out if Axl’s mouth because he drove everyone out of the band sounded embellished. He also had little to do with Chinese Democracy musically. I think that editor did you a favor.

I agree that Doug doesn't have a good recollection and insight, especially regarding the creative aspect of the band, which he wasn't involved with at all in all periods. He also confuses events and timings, has repeatedly contradicted himself about certain incidents (e.g. about Slash and Duff signing over the band name to Axl) and, of course, tells the story in a way that makes him look like the "good guy" and takes credit for achievements that were not his.

However, that doesn't mean that each and every thing he says is made up or embellished. I find the story about Axl's attempted suicide believable - according to Doug, Axl's depressive state at the time was a combination of what happened with Stephanie and what was happening with the band.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

How would it take some years.

And what about the story with his second wife...

Bridget, after 8 years of having a great marriage, decided one day, to throw out all of my meds, including one that kept me from being in a state of Mania. The next 3 ½ months are a blur. I only know that I woke up with $7.5 million less than I had. If not for the constant love and support of my one Christian friend that I’d known since my childhood Christian camp days, Mike Figueras, I’d be dead.

And $7.5 million is a lot of money. Most from GN'R, I assume.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

37 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I agree that Doug doesn't have a good recollection and insight, especially regarding the creative aspect of the band, which he wasn't involved with at all in all periods. He also confuses events and timings, has repeatedly contradicted himself about certain incidents (e.g. about Slash and Duff signing over the band name to Axl) and, of course, tells the story in a way that makes him look like the "good guy" and takes credit for achievements that were not his.

However, that doesn't mean that each and every thing he says is made up or embellished. I find the story about Axl's attempted suicide believable - according to Doug, Axl's depressive state at the time was a combination of what happened with Stephanie and what was happening with the band.

His recollection of events is abysmal. Especially for a guy who purports to be sober for the entire experience with GNR. I was always surprised he knew very little about the making of Chinese Democracy. That post about Christ was a perfect example of how delusional and out of touch about shit Doug can be with reality. One of my points is He had to be corrected by Brando multiple times about the timeline of the band and events. If fans know more than him then how could he write a credible book. I think he is the cancer of GNR. 

• Like 2