The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

1 minute ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Anyone remember that single Slash said was coming in a few months like 6 months ago? Fun times.

That was likely the initial  idea as Slash suggested they would release the material that was leftover from the CD sessions.

I’m of the opinion that with limited exceptions, it’s the only material that was “complete” including all necessary vocals. Obviously lack of interest in HS put a damper on these sort of piecemeal releases. 

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Who was that?

I can think of 1999 reasons he's gone :P 

40 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Anyone remember that single Slash said was coming in a few months like 6 months ago? Fun times.

Or when Fernando said the new album would be out in 6 months (years ago)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

That was likely the initial  idea as Slash suggested they would release the material that was leftover from the CD sessions.

I’m of the opinion that with limited exceptions, it’s the only material that was “complete” including all necessary vocals. Obviously lack of interest in HS put a damper on these sort of piecemeal releases. 

Yeah, I also don't think's a coincidence that Fernando stopped communicating with fans here and on Reddit after the Hard Skool flop. He only ever checked in during times when there was something to sell (after Locked and Loaded in 2018 and to announce the Hard Skool physical release in 2021). The fact that they released it on not only vinyl but cassette leads me to believe that Team Brazil overestimated the number of hardcore GNR fans left. Once they realized that they peaced out.

• Like 1

Hard Skool was a flop, because it is a sub-par song. It's a B-side. Like Absurd. Both are fun songs, but they just aren't A game material. They don't have to write a new November Rain or Welcome to the Jungle part 2, but they could at least try to write something you can take seriously :shrugs:

But Axl can't or doesn't want to, and that's fine, I guess. It's just delusional to think that two 20-year-old B-sides would be hits and be bummed out when they are not. Any decent manager and/or producer would tell you that and send you back to the studio.  

• GNFNR 1

29 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Yeah, I also don't think's a coincidence that Fernando stopped communicating with fans here and on Reddit after the Hard Skool flop. He only ever checked in during times when there was something to sell (after Locked and Loaded in 2018 and to announce the Hard Skool physical release in 2021). The fact that they released it on not only vinyl but cassette leads me to believe that Team Brazil overestimated the number of hardcore GNR fans left. Once they realized that they peaced out.

HS was supposed to usher in the “new chapter” in GNR. Unfortunately, they decided to burn the book. 

1 hour ago, smokingarthur said:

HS was supposed to usher in the “new chapter” in GNR. Unfortunately, they decided to burn the book. 

Seems like it. I get the feeling as well that they thought the masses would go crazy about Absurd and HS, just because it's the big three. Might have been a rude awakening. :D

27 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Seems like it. I get the feeling as well that they thought the masses would go crazy about Absurd and HS, just because it's the big three. Might have been a rude awakening. :D

The fact that Axl is so attached to B and C level material is a greater indicator of what exists and the likely overall quality of it. Having said that, I would be fine with a release of any of it.

I just don’t believe Axl posses the musical acumen to complete one track of Appetite-Illusions quality material if he remains at the helm. Without some musical intervention, the songs will be lacking elements that are needed while possessing an over abundance of what is not. And I just don’t believe he is capable of making those executive decisions solely. 

1 hour ago, smokingarthur said:

Was it? Who said that?

3 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

I just don’t believe Axl posses the musical acumen to complete one track of Appetite-Illusions quality material if he remains at the helm.

And I think Hard Skool is better than the majority of songs on Use Your Illusions :lol:

4 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

Without some musical intervention, the songs will be lacking elements that are needed while possessing an over abundance of what is not. 

Axl doesn't really make songs on his own. Chinese Democracy was full of songs with multiple writers that had provided "musical intervention" to Axl's songs. And I think quite a few of the songs on CD had all the elements needed to make them great songs.

GN'R just aren't relevant as a recording band these days. Hope for new music like all of us but they aren't relevant in the mainstream and won't be again.

Small hope of a Johnny Cash late career style renaissance but Hard Skool and Absurd both did as well as you'd expect in terms of where the band is at now. Nothing to be ashamed of really, it's just reality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kanecrescente said:

Fuck it, bring in the external song writers!

Izzy or even root around West Arkeens unreleased stuff

Edited by Shacklermyrye

1 hour ago, AtlasShrugged said:

GN'R just aren't relevant as a recording band these days. Hope for new music like all of us but they aren't relevant in the mainstream and won't be again.

Small hope of a Johnny Cash late career style renaissance but Hard Skool and Absurd both did as well as you'd expect in terms of where the band is at now. Nothing to be ashamed of really, it's just reality.

absurd would have been hated in 1988, 91 and 92.  HS isn't a bad song, just wasn't marketed properly as always

• Like 2

Well the night train exclusive disc is just funny.  

I’ll bet most of those people who subscribe also bought the UYI sets like me.  More live of the same songs in different drunken ways from 32 years ago.   So disappointing. 

1 hour ago, AtlasShrugged said:

This is true. But you also can't base GNRs positioning on HardSkool and Absurd. Both songs got zero push from the band and died a death, had they promoted them HardSkool could have received some exposure. The only mystique in burying your own singles is the mystery of WHY you would bury your own singles🤣 

I think GNR are in the same boat as bands like Metallica, AC/DC etc. but they don't seem to get that they can do the same things and reap the same rewards. GNR with a competent release would do well... whatever well is these days. Competent release AND the right song. As it is today, I find it unlikely they are sitting on the right song, that would need to be written by Slash and have fresh vocals. People want to hear something familiar with just a touch of something new. Metallica are out now releasing these new songs that sound like a greatest hits from the 90s and people are digging it, just because they add one fast riff in the middle somewhere... It ain't rocket science GNR

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Axl doesn't really make songs on his own. Chinese Democracy was full of songs with multiple writers that had provided "musical intervention" to Axl's songs. And I think quite a few of the songs on CD had all the elements needed to make them great songs.

Axl has the final say. The material that got through was the result of Axl’s executive decision making, don’t confuse the fact that Axl was offered up material from other members that ultimately was incorporated into the final product as cooperation and creative collaboration.

It was basically Axl directing all the shots and either including or passing on this material. He had an entire vault of ideas at his disposal. He valued his vision above all else and ran with it. He didn’t have anyone who was a voice of reason he could listen to or would listen to. I believe that’s still may be the case. 

2 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

Axl has the final say. The material that got through was the result of Axl’s executive decision making, don’t confuse the fact that Axl was offered up material from other members that ultimately was incorporated into the final product as cooperation and creative collaboration.

It was basically Axl directing all the shots and either including or passing on this material. He had an entire vault of ideas at his disposal. He valued his vision above all else and ran with it. He didn’t have anyone who was a voice of reason he could listen to or would listen to. I believe that’s still may be the case. 

But you argued that he didn't have "musical intervention". The collaborative process of making CD, including bandmates helping him decide on the setlist (and including This I Love), suggests otherwise. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

But you argued that he didn't have "musical intervention". The collaborative process of making CD, including bandmates helping him decide on the setlist (and including This I Love), suggests otherwise. 

Sorry my friend, but CD’s release demonstrates that there was a lack of intervention. It’s just not very good. I’ve tried to come to terms with it over the decade+ since it was released. However, it never gets any better. 

7 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

He first said the new songs would likely be out before the summer 2022 shows, on feb 21st 2022. nearly 14 months ago. then in october he said they were about to release them 'piecemeal' over the next few months - 6 months ago. This band is an abomination. 

6 hours ago, jekylhyde said:

Hard Skool was a flop, because it is a sub-par song. It's a B-side. Like Absurd. Both are fun songs, but they just aren't A game material. They don't have to write a new November Rain or Welcome to the Jungle part 2, but they could at least try to write something you can take seriously :shrugs:

Hardskool is radio friendly, classic sounding and a good song. not incredible but certainly good. It didnt hit because the band did zero promotion, no music video (1 image video, then bizarrely several months later a lyric video) no marketing budget, no radio interviews, it was even late just getting mentioned on their social media channels. it was set up to fail by a band and management that are experts in failure post 1993. 

• Like 1