The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

15 minutes ago, Russel Nash said:

no love for Quicksong here?

it's good, I hope Axl will release it. The locker leaks really showed me some of the potential of a double album version of Chinese Democracy and some of the less elaborate tunes are important part of the work. What we got stands on its own, but it could have been even better with the unreleased material imo. Something like 30 tunes like UYI.

All this talk of when these songs were written just further enforces for me that maybe the album should’ve just come out in late 2000, with songs like:

ChiDem, The Blues, ITW, Catcher, Riad, IRS, Madagascar, Prostitute, Hard School, Atlas, Perhaps, Oklahoma (assuming it really did have full lyrics by then, as the HOB setlist suggested)

And then by 2008 or so we coulda gotten a second album with songs like:

Shackler’s, Better, TWAT, Scraped, Sorry, This I Love, Silkworms, The General, Soul Monster, Quick Song and whatever other songs probably had vocals by then like Zodiac, Ides of March, etc.

And then by the time the RHOF induction rolled around in 2012, Axl probably woulda been more open to going… Oh, well…

12 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

My local radio station juat discussed new GNR music, they talked about Perhaps being played at the soundcheck and Axl and Slash being in a studio together. They even played a snippet of Perhaps afterwards.

Was the snippet from the soundcheck? Or was it the locker leak?

Edited by rocknroll41

20 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

All this talk of when these songs were written just further enforces for me that maybe the album should’ve just come out in late 2000, with songs like:

ChiDem, The Blues, ITW, Catcher, Riad, IRS, Madagascar, Prostitute, Hard School, Atlas, Perhaps, Oklahoma (assuming it really did have full lyrics by then, as the HOB setlist suggested)

And then by 2008 or so we coulda gotten a second album with songs like:

Shackler’s, Better, TWAT, Scraped, Sorry, This I Love, Silkworms, The General, Soul Monster, Quick Song and whatever other songs probably had vocals by then like Zodiac, Ides of March, etc.

And then by the time the RHOF induction rolled around in 2012, Axl probably woulda been more open to going… Oh, well…

Was the snippet from the soundcheck? Or was it the locker leak?

It absolutely should have released in 2000 and then the follow up in 2002. With Bucket, Finck, Brain, they could have dominated the early 2000s rock scene. Such a shame.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dean said:

Hard to argue with that. So much potential with that lineup of the band.

but not enough of the Gn'R fanbase seems to have warmed up to that lineup imo, which I love. I think a Gn'R without Slash was never going to be accepted and that lineup never had a chance to really take off under the Gn'R name. Slash was too much of an integral part maybe, but Axl cherry picked the best of the best to create something special imo.

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

but not enough of the Gn'R fanbase seems to have warmed up to that lineup imo, which I love. I think a Gn'R without Slash was never going to be accepted and that lineup never had a chance to really take off under the Gn'R name. Slash was too much of an integral part maybe, but Axl cherry picked the best of the best to create something special imo.

Because they never released anything!!! And barely toured! 

1 hour ago, Russel Nash said:

no love for Quicksong here?

I love the song. The riff is very fun to play. And I love the guitar arrangement. This is much more traditionally riff based than any CD song sans maybe Riad. I like Robin's solo too. But I don't like Axl's scratchy vocals, the melody is really not something on par with the instrumental.

44 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Someone shared a screenshot here a few posts back of the 1999 demo tape. It says “Hardschool.”

I couldn't see that screenshot. Can you reupload it?

I didn't realize a photo of the 99 tape surfaced. Would be curious to see that, assuming it is allowed. 

If IRS and TWAT came from that source, why do those leaks sound a lot higher in quality than the '99 Catcher? 

The tape itself has value, but the content not much anymore, as the 2000 mixes of those songs are probably very close.

Years ago, I was told the entire Beavan album almost leaked, but apparently hoarders took action to prevent it.

Just now, 2020_Intensions said:

Because they never released anything!!! And barely toured! 

I believe most Gn'R fans never wanted anyone other than Slash as the lead guitar player and that sank the ship before it even had a chance to sail for the first time. The image and sound were too different and at times even divorced of the classic sound. Axl could have found his niche with the 2002 lineup if he released 2-3 albums with that lineup as a solo artist with the same music he had, but I think fans already had a concrete idea of what Gn'R should be and sound like and Slash was a big part of that, maybe too big to replace. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rovim said:

NuGuns was never going to be fully accepted as Guns N’ Roses. Sure, some folks will lap up anything Axl serves them, but the VMAs were a complete disaster and the band looked like a freak show! He should have gone with a new band name and just moved on. 

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

I believe most Gn'R fans never wanted anyone other than Slash as the lead guitar player and that sank the ship before it even had a chance to sail for the first time. The image and sound were too different and at times even divorced of the classic sound. Axl could have found his niche with the 2002 lineup if he released 2-3 albums with that lineup as a solo artist with the same music he had, but I think fans already had a concrete idea of what Gn'R should be and sound like and Slash was a big part of that, maybe too big to replace. 

It's all conjecture. If they actually put the album out in 2000 after only 2 years of Axl reforming the band and then went on the successfully tour and release another 2-3 albums like originally planned, they may have gained an even bigger fanbase than the original band had. And many of the old fans would have been supporting them like they were even without music and like they did all the way up to 2016. 

7 minutes ago, Rovim said:

They could have done similar to Fleetwood Mac and totally reinvented themselves had they released music and pulled more fans on board. It may have been hard to win over the majority of their own fanbase, but had they had a couple of hits at the turn of the millennium then who knows where it may have taken them? Exposure to new ears and a new following. The talent and material was there, but for whatever reason, the timeline wasn't right.

Just now, Dean said:

They could have done similar to Fleetwood Mac and totally reinvented themselves had they released music and pulled more fans on board. It may have been hard to win over the majority of their own fanbase, but had they had a couple of hits at the turn of the millennium then who knows where it may have taken them? Exposure to new ears and a new following. The talent and material was there, but for whatever reason, the timeline wasn't right.

That's exactly what I was getting at in the post I just made

Just now, 2020_Intensions said:

It's all conjecture. If they actually put the album out in 2000 after only 2 years of Axl reforming the band and then went on the successfully tour and release another 2-3 albums like originally planned, they may have gained an even bigger fanbase than the original band had. And many of the old fans would have been supporting them like they were even without music and like they did all the way up to 2016. 

No, they woulda never been as big as the original band, regardless of how many albums they did or didn’t put out.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

NuGuns was never going to be fully accepted as Guns N’ Roses. Sure, some folks will lap up anything Axl serves them, but the VMAs were a complete disaster and the band looked like a freak show! He should have gone with a new band name and just moved on. 

I think the image of new Guns was too much to swallow for a lot of Gn'R fans and Oh My God and the VMA performance, and Axl not being able to release music when it could have made a positive impact all contributed to it's commercial failure.

in the long run though, I think Axl did something unique in the world of rock n' roll and the album he did manage to release has aged well imho and will continue to be discovered by new Gn'R fans. Hopefully.

3 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I don't believe they could have found comparable success to the classic lineup. Slash is a big deal, he had the perfect image and sound for Gn'R, but maybe you're right. We never got a chance to find out.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

5 minutes ago, Dean said:

but Axl didn't totally reinvent himself and judging by the music he released with new Gn'R, I don't think the goal was to make a drastic change, but to take some of the elements of the classic Gn'R sound and built on it and that's what he did and from an artistic standpoint, I think it was a success. Also, Fleetwood Mac is more of a happy freak accident. There aren't many bands who managed to pull that off and the 2 americans who joined Fleetwood Mac had the goods to come up with the hits. Axl I believe, tried to recreate something that already died and add to it but most fans just wanted the old Gn'R to reunite and more of the same with Slash in the lineup.

I agree though, that if Axl was prolific and released a song or two that the fanbase could not have denied as a hit might have gave him a shot but I don't know if it was worth the trouble and I'm glad he went with what he felt was right and we got tunes like OMG and an album like Chinese which for me was worthy of the Gn'R catalog.

19 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I think the image of new Guns was too much to swallow for a lot of Gn'R fans and Oh My God and the VMA performance, and Axl not being able to release music when it could have made a positive impact all contributed to it's commercial failure.

in the long run though, I think Axl did something unique in the world of rock n' roll and the album he did manage to release has aged well imho and will continue to be discovered by new Gn'R fans. Hopefully.

I don't believe they could have found comparable success to the classic lineup. Slash is a big deal, he had the perfect image and sound for Gn'R, but maybe you're right. We never got a chance to find out.

Yeah now that I think about it, it’s probably best that things happened the way they did. The final album that we got in 2008 is being looked back on fondly now (as Bumble predicted). Had we gotten two, less-layered albums in say 2001 and 2008 instead, who knows if they woulda aged well? Sometimes less is more.

Edited by rocknroll41

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

The ship sank because they waited too long to release the album, Axl was still too crazy to tour professionally, Axls performances started to dip, they failed to follow up on Chinese AND Axl mishandled the fight between himself and Slash/Duff publicly where he let Slash/Duff control the narrative.

2-3 from Nu(Old)GNR and Axl turning up on time like he does now, and GNR would have slowly gained ground. 100% never playing stadiums, and never escaping the people wanting Slash back. The albums would have needed to be great though. I would have loved to hear what that 2006-2014 line up(s) could have made. Coulda woulda shoulda!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Thanks! What's the source of that image? Or more specifically, why should I be 100% certain that isn't just a fan made thing?

The inclusion of "1999 DEMOS" is a little suspicious. I assume each mix would have been given a date, like with the Village CDs, and they had specific dates on most of those, not just a year. 1999 is vague as a reference to a particular mix. Some of the Village CDs were dated themselves, but they were full dates, not just a year.