The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

Wow all the websites are running with this news. I doubt any of this was intentional but it's kinda gonna force GnR to release this single lol.

Clearly with what Duff said and now today something was in the works but I wouldn't be surprised if we heard it at the next show just kinda because it's making all the news outlets now 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

Ok, let's do the math

Total 28 songs

AfD 12 songs

Lies 8 songs

UYI 4 songs

If I'm not mistaken

UYI had more than 4 AFD era leftovers - Don't Cry, The Garden, Yesterdays, Bad Obsession, You Could Be Mine, November Rain, Back Off Bitch, Perfect Crime... so it's more like:

AFD - 12

Lies - 8 (if we count SOYL, or 7 if we're not counting You're Crazy twice)

UYI - 8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

Ok, let's do the math

Total 28 songs

AfD 12 songs

Lies 8 songs

UYI 4 songs

If I'm not mistaken

Lies 7 songs (not counting You're Crazy). We probably shouldn't count the two covers either, so it's 5 songs.

UYI 5 (Back Off Bitch, Perfect Crime, Don't Cry, November Rain, You Could Be Mine) + the 3 West Arkeen songs (Yesterdays, Bad Obsession, The Garden)

Plus:

Shadow Of Your Love

Ain't Going Down

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There may be songs from that era that were written but not recorded or even demoed. Aint life Grand was meant to be a GNR tune called Burnout but apparently according to Slash Adler couldn't play it. Anyway Perhaps first I think and hopefully soon

11 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

So is this going to be the new theory that gets discussed to death? More songs from Appetite era existing and coming out? Even though we already know they've released everything there was .... 🤦🏻‍♂️

Guys. I think he's right, we should all stop talking on here because he voluntary comes on here and gets angry about what is being said. Close the thread.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Guys. I think he's right, we should all stop talking on here because he voluntary comes on here and gets angry about what is being said. Close the thread.

I agree. What sense does it make to discuss theories on what could be on a new GNR album in the New Album thread. We shouldn't discuss anything at all untill there is concrete information.

It would be much better and far more useful to drone on about Pele for endless pages in this thread, or who might be gay or not. That's far closer to the topic

4 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

There may be songs from that era that were written but not recorded or even demoed. Aint life Grand was meant to be a GNR tune called Burnout but apparently according to Slash Adler couldn't play it. Anyway Perhaps first I think and hopefully soon

Axl had mentioned two Slash songs (from the AFD/pre-UYI era) he had written lyrics to but were not used. One could have been Night Crawler, which ended up on Ain't Life Grand (with different lyrics, obviously) as Speed Parade.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Axl had mentioned two Slash songs (from the AFD/pre-UYI era) he had written lyrics to but were not used. One could have been Night Crawler, which ended up on Ain't Life Grand (with different lyrics, obviously) as Speed Parade.

Yeah I think it was Marc Canter who meantioned that one as well. Shame he's not around here anymore to ask as he would know 

Personally I couldn’t care less if the songs are old Appetite or Chin Dem songs. New music is new music.

What does grate is if the vocals are from these old sessions with re-worded band parts: I’d prefer if any new music has updated Axl studio recordings - even if the songs were written years ago. Otherwise it’s much the same as Absurd, Shadow and Hardskool - ‘new’ music but feels more like a remix

Edited by LA_0013
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Where and what year did he mention this? I don't have any context but could one of them have been YCBM, since it was demoed in 1987 but not used until UYI? I'd be surprised if there was a full Night Crawler written with full lyrics, but that would be awesome if so. There's also The Plague which has lyrics written for it. Seems weird to have lyrics for such a short instrumental, maybe there's a longer version on a tape somewhere and that's what Axl was refering to as one of the songs?

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

5 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Where did he mention this? I don't have any context but could one of them have been YCBM, since it was demoed in 1987 but not used until UYI? I'd be surprised if there was a full Night Crawler written with full lyrics, but that would be awesome if so. There's also The Plague which has lyrics written for it. Seems weird to have lyrics for such a short instrumental, maybe there's a longer version on a tape somewhere and that's what Axl was refering to as one of the songs?

The Plague has vocals.

2 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Where did he mention this? I don't have any context but could one of them have been YCBM, since it was demoed in 1987 but not used until UYI? I'd be surprised if there was a full Night Crawler written with full lyrics, but that would be awesome if so. There's also The Plague which has lyrics written for it

He mentioned it in early 1990 while talking about the (then) new songs Slash had brought for UYI:

Axl: ... And so that ends up with Slash bringing in eight songs [for the Illusions]. It’s never been done before, Slash bringing in a song first and me writing words to it. I’ve done it twice with him before and we didn’t use either of those songs. Out of Slash’s choice. Now he’s got eight of them that I gotta write words to and they’re bad-assed songs!

https://www.a-4-d.com/t536-1990-04-21-28-kerrang-stick-to-your-guns-axl#12456

I think Night Crawler could have been one of them, because Slash had mentioned it as one of the songs that were being considered for the Illusions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zeppelin said:

What momentum? I agree that this would be a great time, if they actually wanted to release an album and not tour endlessly.

Well, you've just explained the momentum. Yes, it's a great time to release an album. This tour reinforces their reunion and they're doing studio work. Between themselves, they have more than enough to put together a new album. It just doesn't make any sense if they don't.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

He mentioned it in early 1990 while talking about the (then) new songs Slash had brought for UYI:

Axl: ... And so that ends up with Slash bringing in eight songs [for the Illusions]. It’s never been done before, Slash bringing in a song first and me writing words to it. I’ve done it twice with him before and we didn’t use either of those songs. Out of Slash’s choice. Now he’s got eight of them that I gotta write words to and they’re bad-assed songs!

https://www.a-4-d.com/t536-1990-04-21-28-kerrang-stick-to-your-guns-axl#12456

I think Night Crawler could have been one of them, because Slash had mentioned it as one of the songs that were being considered for the Illusions.

Could one of them have been Ain't Going Down? Because we know that was completed, full music and lyrics, and already played live in 86, but not used. How far along Night Crawler was is a complete mystery on the other hand.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Could one of them have been Ain't Going Down? Because we know that was completed, full music and lyrics, and already played live in 86, but not used.

There is a finished UYI version too

What is for certain is that there are 36 songs - finished, recorded, mixed and ready for release. And the  consensus in the band is that they would like to get all the stuff out to their fans at one time, or as close to  one time as possible. The extensive track list runs the full gamut of rock music styles, from massive epics like "Coma," "Breakdown," "The Garden," "Estranged" and "November Rain," to bluesy, melodic, yet crunchy  rockers like "Dust and Bones," "Pretty Tied Up" (featuring vocals by Izzy Stradlin), "Bad Obsession,"  "Yesterdaze," "Bad Apples" and "So Fine" (bassist Duff McKagan takes over lead vocals on this one), to balls to-the-walls slammer like "Locomotive," "Ain't Goin' Down," "Right Next Door To Hell" (an ode to Axl's  troublesome next-door neighbor), "Back Off Bitch" and "Shotgun Blues." (RIP June 1991) http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=5 

I also recall a written interview with Sorum claiming it was the last song he worked on with the band before he left/was fired. Cant find a link to it though. Anyone remember this? If true then it seems they have been working on and off on that song probably longer than any other

Edited by Shacklermyrye

18 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Could one of them have been Ain't Going Down? Because we know that was completed, full music and lyrics, and already played live in 86, but not used. How far along Night Crawler was is a complete mystery on the other hand.

Ain't Going Down though was considered for UYI almost until the last minute, so I don't think it could be that one, but rather songs that were abandoned early, probably even before the recording of AFD or at least before the UYI sessions started.

The Plague seems to be a case of an abandoned/unfinished song, however the released demo doesn't sound so much like a Slash idea Axl had written lyrics to. It could even be an opposite case (like Axl had come up with a vocal melody that wasn't developed).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

There is a finished UYI version too

What is for certain is that there are 36 songs - finished, recorded, mixed and ready for release. And the  consensus in the band is that they would like to get all the stuff out to their fans at one time, or as close to  one time as possible. The extensive track list runs the full gamut of rock music styles, from massive epics like "Coma," "Breakdown," "The Garden," "Estranged" and "November Rain," to bluesy, melodic, yet crunchy  rockers like "Dust and Bones," "Pretty Tied Up" (featuring vocals by Izzy Stradlin), "Bad Obsession,"  "Yesterdaze," "Bad Apples" and "So Fine" (bassist Duff McKagan takes over lead vocals on this one), to balls to-the-walls slammer like "Locomotive," "Ain't Goin' Down," "Right Next Door To Hell" (an ode to Axl's  troublesome next-door neighbor), "Back Off Bitch" and "Shotgun Blues." (RIP June 1991) http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=5 

I also recall a written interview with Sorum claiming it was the last song he worked on with the band before he left/was fired. Cant find a link to it though. Anyone remember this? If true then it seems they have been working on and off on that song probably longer than any other

It's all here:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t3040-ain-t-goin-down

Edit: I don't recall Matt saying that. Maybe it was Gilby who said it?

Edited by Blackstar

3 hours ago, Sosso said:

The new Album would actually be another excuse for the endless touring. 

Axl promoted CD from 2001-2010. How long would he milk a new album? Probably until retirement.

'Another excuse'?! They need an excuse?! With album or no album they can tour endlessly, if they want to.

Do you really think they would have to 'milk' the new album? You know who they are, right? People have been waiting for a new proper GNR album for 30 years. If they release a new album, people will be eating it raw!

8 minutes ago, Gigigil said:

'Another excuse'?! They need an excuse?! With album or no album they can tour endlessly, if they want to.

Do you really think they would have to 'milk' the new album? You know who they are, right? People have been waiting for a new proper GNR album for 30 years. If they release a new album, people will be eating it raw!

I would hope you’re right, but they didn’t seem to eat up Absurd/HS.

Just now, rocknroll41 said:

I would hope you’re right, but they didn’t seem to eat up Absurd/HS.

I really like absurd. A lot of people don't care about singles. They want a proper album. For me these singles are a tiny sample of something we don't know - don't know what it is, if it will ever be and how it might be. So they don't give much. An album is a complete work. Huge difference.

• Like 1