The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Up to that point leaks were frequent, and likely some of them instigated by the band to test the reception of the songs.

when I.R.S leaked Axl wasn't pleased with it in the Trunk interview, calling Mike Piazza's team "The Pirates" instead of The Padres". Dizzy said it sucked that shit leaked and it wasn't the final versions, and the whole downloadin' motherfuckers thing, while playful, maybe was also how Axl felt about it.

I think it's possible, but I wouldn't say it's likely. There are other ways to test reception like letting Bob Ezrin listen to it for example. Just my opinion.

Two things I believe:

1) there is a whole other album worth of songs with vocals that could be released. Even if you have to remove songs like Going Down they could easily be replaced with a Duff cover or another vault song like Ain’t Going Down.

2) we’ll either never get an album or we’ll just get songs Gradually released over years & years until we get a new albums worth of songs. Axl is in no hurry to release anything & Slash/Duff seem to be more than happy releasing solo stuff in between GNR nostalgia legs.

As for all things GNR though, I’d love to be proven wrong!

15 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The interview in question  is this one:

“The other side of it was figuring out what my version of The Chinese Democracy stuff would be like, because that was a whole different Guns N’ Roses animal in terms of the musicians involved. A lot of it I thought was really cool, like Buckethead did some cool shit so I would stick to that but do it in my own way so it didn’t feel too foreign or like I was squeezing a round peg into a square hole. That was interesting and fun… more fun than it was intimidating.”

On the song Better, instead of trying to play like Robin Finck trying to play like you - as per the recorded version - you chose to do your own thing…

“Some of the stuff I won’t do note-for-note because it doesn’t have a serious melodic significance to the song. It sounded like they were making it up...”

https://www.musicradar.com/news/slash-technique-can-become-the-main-aspiration-but-for-me-its-more-about-expressing-some-sort-of-emotional-content

I don't believe Slash was actually talking about Robin's solo in Better. He said "some of the stuff", probably meaning stuff in the album in general, like the whacky solos from Bucket and Bumble. I honestly believe he was talking more about Bucket's mid-solo in the song, which is pretty much what he described (no "serious melodic significance"). And he plays this part live doing whatever he feels like.

• Like 4

Just now, Voodoochild said:

I don't believe Slash was actually talking about Robin's solo in Better. He said "some of the stuff", probably meaning stuff in the album in general, like the whacky solos from Bucket and Bumble. I honestly believe he was talking more about Bucket's mid-solo in the song, which is pretty much what he described (no "serious melodic significance"). And he plays this part live doing whatever he feels like.

it wasn't really clear, so I'm not sure there is a way to really know, but I totally believe Slash was specifically talking about Robin's Better solo, and maybe some other stuff as well. Slash would never come up with a solo like that imo, and the difference between what he came up with compared to the original Better solo I think shows how different his approach is to Robin's at least in some of the cases on Chinese.

10 minutes ago, Rovim said:

it wasn't really clear, so I'm not sure there is a way to really know, but I totally believe Slash was specifically talking about Robin's Better solo, and maybe some other stuff as well. Slash would never come up with a solo like that imo, and the difference between what he came up with compared to the original Better solo I think shows how different his approach is to Robin's at least in some of the cases on Chinese.

Could be. I believe Slash considers Robin's style way out of his own, but I don't think his solo in Better is that far from Robin's one compared to how he plays Bucket's solo in the same song.

Just now, Voodoochild said:

Could be. I believe Slash considers Robin's style way out of his own, but I don't think his solo in Better is that far from Robin's one compared to how he plays Bucket's solo in the same song.

for me it's how choppy it is, with a lot of space between the notes, it just lacks the fluid nature of Slash's playing style, even if the solo does contain some licks with hammer ons/pull offs in the style of Slash/Brian may for example, but it's just fun speculation, I can see how I could be very wrong about this. 

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

for me it's how choppy it is, with a lot of space between the notes, it just lacks the fluid nature of Slash's playing style, even if the solo does contain some licks with hammer ons/pull offs in the style of Slash/Brian may for example, but it's just fun speculation, I can see how I could be very wrong about this. 

Haha me too. I think stuff like Robin's IRS solo is the extreme case, but also his TIL solo has some of this weird tempo (lot of sudden stops) and attack with lots of micro-slides. This is why his solos are way harder to play exactly on his style. His tone too: 20 years later and I'm still trying to get it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, The Matinator said:

Two things I believe:

1) there is a whole other album worth of songs with vocals that could be released. Even if you have to remove songs like Going Down they could easily be replaced with a Duff cover or another vault song like Ain’t Going Down.

2) we’ll either never get an album or we’ll just get songs Gradually released over years & years until we get a new albums worth of songs. Axl is in no hurry to release anything & Slash/Duff seem to be more than happy releasing solo stuff in between GNR nostalgia legs.

As for all things GNR though, I’d love to be proven wrong!

3. A single comes out this year or next year (Perhaps) followed by another single (Atlas or The General) next year or 2025. Maybe OMG by 2026 or 2027. By then the touring winds down after another world tour twice over by 27. 

14 minutes ago, Izzy squire said:

One greatest hits+10 new songs.

Like Michael Jackson's history

Funny - I got some quite HIStory album vibes from some of Chinese Democracy. In fact, the first time I heard Madagascar, it reminded me strongly of the song HIStory (especially, the use of samples to make speech collages). 

Of course - MJ's album has more Slash on it than CD does!

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

3. A single comes out this year or next year (Perhaps) followed by another single (Atlas or The General) next year or 2025. Maybe OMG by 2026 or 2027. By then the touring winds down after another world tour twice over by 27. 

How many years do we think that Axl's voice will last? 

2 minutes ago, Sausagebrain said:

Funny - I got some quite HIStory album vibes from some of Chinese Democracy. In fact, the first time I heard Madagascar, it reminded me strongly of the song HIStory (especially, the use of samples to make speech collages). 

Of course - MJ's album has more Slash on it than CD does!

Always loved Slash's solo on D.S. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FabioRoses said:

depends on how much he uses it, takes care of it, and the way he uses it as a singer. Also, some singers, when they get to a certain age and are starting to lose range and power choose to go through surgery or try different things like changing their lifestyle or even attempt experimental shit and some just accept it and try to adapt to their new situation. 

sounds like Axl has lost some of his vocal ability but I think that with the way he sings now and if he takes care of his voice, he still got at least 5 years if I had to guess. (singing Gn'R material or challenging material in that style) but there's no way to really know imo. Every singer is different and there are a lot of factors.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Haha me too. I think stuff like Robin's IRS solo is the extreme case, but also his TIL solo has some of this weird tempo (lot of sudden stops) and attack with lots of micro-slides. This is why his solos are way harder to play exactly on his style. His tone too: 20 years later and I'm still trying to get it.

It’s also possible that a lot of the solos were comped in the studio. So Axl and the producer could have listened to a bunch of takes of Robin doing different solos and taking a lick from this take, a lick from that, and editing them together in the studio. Metallica records their solos this way - Kirk improvs over the solo section a few times and then Lars and Greg Fidelman compile their favorite parts into one solo. It could explain why some of Robin’s parts sound choppy or as if he has interesting perspective on timing.

After all, Chinese Democracy is full of some very choppy edits on Axl’s vocals as well, so it wouldn’t surprise me.

Edited to add: Buckethead’s solo on TWAT is also comped, seeing as how licks were added in between the demos and the final product.

Edited by GoodOlJohnnyK

2 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

It’s also possible that a lot of the solos were comped in the studio. So Axl and the producer could have listened to a bunch of takes of Robin doing different solos and taking a lick from this take, a lick from that, and editing them together in the studio. Metallica records their solos this way - Kirk improvs over the solo section a few times and then Lars and Greg Fidelman compile their favorite parts into one solo. It could explain why some of Robin’s parts sound choppy or as if he has interesting perspective on timing.

After all, Chinese Democracy is full of some very choppy edits on Axl’s vocals as well, so it wouldn’t surprise me.

Bumble said that 95% of the solos on Chinese were comped

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

If songs are over 20 years old I have to question why they were never released before, why didn't they make the cut for CD and why do they need to be reworked again? 

Based on what we've heard so far, I have a good idea why these songs didn't make the cut 

It has nothing to do with "making the cut" with the songs that were not on the 2008 record. They planned on putting out more than one record worth of material, so the "big guns" were spread across multiple, 2-3 records. Several band interviews have backed this up.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

It has nothing to do with "making the cut" with the songs that were not on the 2008 record. They planned on putting out more than one record worth of material, so the "big guns" were spread across multiple, 2-3 records. Several band interviews have backed this up.

Yet there’s no great explanation for why it never happened.

1 minute ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

I don't think there needs to be. It certainly wasn't because of a lack of quality material. A "CD2" song list leaked and the list itself was dated months prior to the 2008 album release that has a list of songs, of the songs listed, only one of them was on the 2008 album. (Catcher) and it has been said a few songs bounced between the first two records because of how they fit in the others. 

1 minute ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

No explanation is needed. Everyone knows Axl is too insecure and/or indecisive to put new music out. The middling and underwhelming reception of Chinese Democracy probably didn't help the matter either, unfortunately.

And this doesn't come from a hater. I wish we had more music—I'm a fan of Chinese Democracy and the leaked demos. But here we are...

16 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

We've heard all this before. 

The reality is that those albums never came out and whether they even exist is questionable. 

The only songs the current band appear to be working on are the village leaks. And Slash mentioned there's just a handful and then they're moving on. 

If there was really a bunch of big guns, I am sure they'd be released even as a single. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, FabioRoses said:

His lower natural voice will last.

The rest is already screwed. Although he can still scream.

Edited by Lethalis
  • Like 1