The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

19 minutes ago, ZODIAC said:

Yeah, but again.. Why renting a studio for thousands of dollars, without any written material? 🤷‍♂️ Doesn't make sense for me... 

Ideally you hit the studio with at least basic song structures. But there's some bands that prefers to write on the fly in the studio environment, with more collaboration with other band members and engineers.

Keep in mind that nowadays, you can just record whatever at home and it's almost ready to be used, if you want. So I think at least some ideas were bounced around between Slash, Duff and Axl in the last few years. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ZODIAC said:

Yeah, but again.. Why renting a studio for thousands of dollars, without any written material? 🤷‍♂️ Doesn't make sense for me... 

For a band like GnR there are a few reasons to hit a studio outside of new music. Good chance they’re mixing and overdubbing soundboards to post as music on Reels and in promos. There is a clip of Slither on a recent promo that’s doctored up. 

Not that they couldn’t be recording new music, but they operate a whole different scale than most bands and have a lot more uses for a studio than new music. 

Just now, bumbleslash69 said:

For a band like GnR there are a few reasons to hit a studio outside of new music. Good chance they’re mixing and overdubbing soundboards to post as music on Reels and in promos. There is a clip of Slither on a recent promo that’s doctored up.

That Slither clip is not doctored up. It even has a small fuck up on Slash's playing. 

Also I don't hear any evidence of them mixing and overdubbing soundboards in any of those Reels and promos.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

That Slither clip is not doctored up. It even has a small fuck up on Slash's playing. 

Also I don't hear any evidence of them mixing and overdubbing soundboards in any of those Reels and promos.

I knew you’d notice the Slash screw up. I think I’ve seen you mention it before lol. But still, even if they’re not overdubbing, they’re creating content on the road. It makes more sense to me they’d use a studio for any kind of editing than whipping something together on a MacBook. They’re a full scale circus handling giant social media platforms with an unlimited budget. They’re going to pull out all the stops to get even the simplest task done. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Slash's interview about GNR riffs in a folder on his phone was from August 2018.

Yeah, that interview was before they even touched the CD era songs  (as far as we know, at least).

5 hours ago, ZODIAC said:

Yes, he said in an interview (last year or so), that he hast different folders on his phone, where he saves some ideas. Some riffs for SMKC and another one for GNR.... As for the Studio plans: doesn't it make sense, to write the songs, BEFORE hitting a Studio? I mean... A studio is for recording sessions, isn't it? Maybe we are closer to new album than we believe we are... 🤷‍♂️

From what I understand there are two types of studios: studios that are mainly for rehearsal and studios that are mainly for recording.

For example, GN'R have used Mates studio in L.A. for their tour rehearsals (they still rehearse there before the beginning of each tour) but also used it for the pre-production phase of UYI (structuring and arranging the songs, and making demos of them) and then they went to recording studios for the production phase (the actual recording).

But now, like @Voodoochild said, they have home studios, and tracks can be easily passed on between band members as digital files.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bumbleslash69 said:

I knew you’d notice the Slash screw up. I think I’ve seen you mention it before lol. But still, even if they’re not overdubbing, they’re creating content on the road. It makes more sense to me they’d use a studio for any kind of editing than whipping something together on a MacBook. They’re a full scale circus handling giant social media platforms with an unlimited budget. They’re going to pull out all the stops to get even the simplest task done. 

We know Slash writes music on tour. That means he surely had enough time and a lot of opportunities to sit down and share ideas with Duff. Those two are buddies since forever, to me it's not imaginable that they didn't wrote some music in between gigs and on the road. Question is how involved Axl is. Slash said they haven't sit down and wrote music but I think that point was made only regarding Axl.

Expectations would rise extremely and all the weight would be on Axl's shoulders if he said something like 'me and Duff wrote some stuff and we are waiting for Axl to cone up with lyrics and melodies.'

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Keep in mind that nowadays, you can just record whatever at home and it's almost ready to be used, if you want. So I think at least some ideas were bounced around between Slash, Duff and Axl in the last few years. 

Yeah, that's basically what I tried to say. I'm pretty confident, that they shared some ideas and at least talked about some rough recordings, riffs, lyrics, whatever... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Why should they? It's more than ovious these are old tracks. They might don't know them, but I doubt they think these are new tracks. Most likely they don't even know that GNR still releases music at all

It's more than obvious to you and other hardcore fans.

People have heard concertgoers ask 'Is that a new song?' when a UYI deep cut gets played.

It's not surprising in the least. Even though GNR were massive back in the day, they have 4 huge songs and that's what the majority in the crowd know. Those a bit more knowledgeable probably know all the songs on the greatest hits CD.

The people filling stadiums are not familiar with deep cuts in the discography.

UYI is not something like Dark Side of the Moon where everyone and their grandma know the material top to bottom.

5 hours ago, bumbleslash69 said:

They’re a full scale circus handling giant social media platforms with an unlimited budget. They’re going to pull out all the stops to get even the simplest task done. 

Oh my sweet summer child...

• Like 3

On 8/29/2023 at 11:10 AM, Amir said:

I don't find ABSURD particularly compressed/loud compared to Perhaps, both sound about the same to me, Hard Skool is the one where I have to turn down the volume when I listen to the three in a row.

The changes, mixing and mastering of Hard Skool brings the song down a few notches to me. I'd rate the 2000 mix of that song better than either version of Perhaps, but I feel 2023 Perhaps is better than 2021 Hard Skool because of how poor the latter was made from it's earlier version.

• PERHAPS 1

So even if we just get Perhaps/theGeneral/Atlas now and they are writing and recording new material, I guess its not unthinkable that Seven and Soul monster will be part of new album as songs Axl brings to the table in addition to some songs Duff & Slash has written together, maybe a Duff solo song and hopefully some songs where all 3 have collaborated.

Edited by betterman

This is also songs we dont have seen any lyrics or heard any vocals on and we cant use as an argument that this is 20 year old recordings :D Its easier for Axl to release the songs we have heard parts of now (more than instrumental leaks) and let some of the others pass over as new songs

5 minutes ago, betterman said:

So even if we just get Perhaps/theGeneral/Atlas now and they are writing and recording new material, I guess its not unthinkable that Seven and Soul monster will be part of new album as songs Axl brings to the table in addition to some songs Duff & Slash has written together, maybe a Duff solo song and hopefully some songs where all 3 have collaborated.

My hope is the the songs like Seven, Zodiac, Soul Monster, Tonto, etc. that have not been released as singles like Absurd, Hard Skool, Perhaps, etc. are kept with their Buckethead and Robin leads. (How could Slash possibly improve them?) And they are included with any songs the current lineup brings to the table, and all wrapped up as an album. This makes more sense to me than them re-working all remaining CD-era stuff and making entirely new songs. If they have half a dozen or more CD-era songs that were mixed years ago, it wouldn't be jarring to include them with actual new songs if they are all mixed and mastered properly. This would be a great way to transition out of the CD-era and into the next, assuming the next album isn't the last.

Dream album:

Thyme
ABSURD
Hard Skool
Perhaps
Soul Monster
Berlin
Seven
Atlas Shrugged
Quick Song
Zodiac
The General

Then a Limited Deluxe Edition that has a second CD with the exact same songs, but from the Finck/Bucket era, along with Eye On You ;) If D Tune ever got vocals that would be cool, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

My hope is the the songs like Seven, Zodiac, Soul Monster, Tonto, etc. that have not been released as singles like Absurd, Hard Skool, Perhaps, etc. are kept with their Buckethead and Robin leads. (How could Slash possibly improve them?) And they are included with any songs the current lineup brings to the table, and all wrapped up as an album. This makes more sense to me than them re-working all remaining CD-era stuff and making entirely new songs. If they have half a dozen or more CD-era songs that were mixed years ago, it wouldn't be jarring to include them with actual new songs if they are all mixed and mastered properly. This would be a great way to transition out of the CD-era and into the next, assuming the next album isn't the last.

We all know Slash has been working on the songs they released and are planning to release.

"improvement" is also a very subjective thing. It all depends on what you're trying to achieve.

Do you want the songs to sound like they're from the current lineup? Do you want the songs to sound more like classic GNR?

Then letting Duff and Slash rework these songs is a definite improvement. Whether we like it or not.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

I would contend that the vast majority of people that end up at a GNR concert know more than just 4 songs. If they’re at the concert they probably listened to rock stations in the last 30 years and at minimum they would know the following:

It’s So Easy, Mr Brownstone, SCOM, Paradise City and maybe even Nightrain and/or Rocket Queen. They would also know Patience for sure. Then they would absolutely know November Rain, Knocking on Heaven’s Door and probably Don’t Cry, Civil War and You Could Be Mine as well. I’d say the typical concert goers would know at least 9-10 songs. 

And u forgot wttj ;)

• Wow 1

How much money will you spend on tickets to see a band you only know four songs from and didn't like them enough to find any other songs from this band over the last thirty years?  You also have to pay for transportation, parking, snackbar...  How much money will you spend just to be at that show?

Or are you going with someone else who actually knows about the band?  That's more money spent on tickets, snacks, etc.  It's going to be an expensive night.

21 hours ago, Slugworth said:

It's more than obvious to you and other hardcore fans.

People have heard concertgoers ask 'Is that a new song?' when a UYI deep cut gets played.

It's obvious because of the style of the songs. I admit, in a live setting when you don't know the song you might get confused but somebody who understands music should be able to tell if it's a song written in the 80s/90s or in 2020.

4 hours ago, Lethalis said:

We all know Slash has been working on the songs they released and are planning to release.

"improvement" is also a very subjective thing. It all depends on what you're trying to achieve.

Do you want the songs to sound like they're from the current lineup? Do you want the songs to sound more like classic GNR?

Then letting Duff and Slash rework these songs is a definite improvement. Whether we like it or not.

I get where you're coming from, but I want the songs to sound like how they did when the players who originally created them did so.

• ABSUЯD 1