The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

3 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

So we now have five songs from cd2:

Hard Skool (Jackie Chan/ Checkmate/ No Love Remains/ Hard School)

Absurd (Silkworms)

Perhaps

The General

Monsters (Leave Me Alone/ Elvis Presley & the Monster of Soul/ Soul Monster)

Hopefully we also get Atlas, Seven and Berlin (Oklahoma) at some point.

I’d be happy with those 3 songs and then all new from there.  Really hope they compile this as an album while they’re off.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

So we now have five songs from cd2:

Hard Skool (Jackie Chan/ Checkmate/ No Love Remains/ Hard School)

Absurd (Silkworms)

Perhaps

The General

Monsters (Leave Me Alone/ Elvis Presley & the Monster of Soul/ Soul Monster)

Hopefully we also get Atlas, Seven and Berlin (Oklahoma) at some point.

And most of them are not even close to awesome songs. The best is perhaps and its a 6.5

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, betterman said:

My take:

Monsters/General 9

Perhaps 8

Hard skool 7

Absurd 5

I definitely prefer the originality of monsters and general. Honestly, I prefer artists that go down with the flames or experimentation than the flames of “selling out” or trying to make radio friendly music. 

12 minutes ago, gram39 said:

I definitely prefer the originality of monsters and general. Honestly, I prefer artists that go down with the flames or experimentation than the flames of “selling out” or trying to make radio friendly music. 

Blasphemous statement on a hugely mainstream rock band forum, I agree.

13 hours ago, betterman said:

My take:

Monsters/General 9

Perhaps 8

Hard skool 7

Absurd 5

General for me is a 5

Monsters 9

Perhaps 8

Hardskool 6

Absurd 5

Yes I hold the General in Absurd territory. I hate the vocals and its so muddy. Monsters on the other hand is totally the opposite and classic gnr with some of Axls best vocals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vloors said:

General for me is a 5

Monsters 9

Perhaps 8

Hardskool 6

Absurd 5

Yes I hold the General in Absurd territory. I hate the vocals and its so muddy. Monsters on the other hand is totally the opposite and classic gnr with some of Axls best vocals.

This is my rank:

Monsters 8

Perhaps 7

The General 5

Hardskool 4

Absurd 2

EDIT: I'd put Going Down as also an 8 and Atlas Shrugged a 5 like The General

Edited by Cosmo
  • Like 1

Oh, we're doing rankings of these songs. Here's mine:

The General and Monsters 9

As one song I absolutely love this epic track. It's not perfect. There's some small things here and there that I'm not a fan of. But as a whole it's pretty much a masterpiece. I expect the final released version of The General to sound less muddy.

Hard Skool 8

It's an awesome old school rocker. Nobody makes music like this these days which is a terrible shame. It's super catchy and I love almost everything about it. It's a pretty simple song though, which is why I can't give it a perfect score. It had potential to be a masterpiece, but it would have needed a bit more meat on the bones.

Monsters 7

It's difficult for me to rank these as separate songs, since I don't really view them that way. And I don't actually know which one I like more out of these two songs. Monsters is perhaps the more consistently good song, but it doesn't hit me emotionally as hard as The General does.

The General 7

This song is stuck in my head. I love the disturbing lyrics. But I'm not a big fan of the "Don't know what to tell you now" -part and there's some other minor gripes that I have with this song. Emotionally speaking The General touches my soul more than Monsters does. Both of these songs feel incomplete without the other, which is why I prefer them as one song.

Absurd 7

The lyrics are very simple, but this song has amazing energy. My hot take is that I actually love the guitars on this song probably most out of all these new songs. The guitars fit the song perfectly. Absurd is astronomically much better than Silkworms.

Perhaps 6

It's a good song with great lyrics and melodies. But after the middle point, the song kinda just repeats itself, so for me it's the most uninteresting out of these songs.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

If Perhaps and The General/Monsters are the last singles that drop from the CD era before a "new" album. I fully expect this new album to contain some actual new songs, and the rest of the CD era stuff they want us not to think about as CD. Like Berlin, Seven, Zodiac, etc.

1 minute ago, Sweersa said:

If Perhaps and The General/Monsters are the last singles that drop from the CD era before a "new" album. I fully expect this new album to contain some actual new songs, and the rest of the CD era stuff they want us not to think about as CD. Like Berlin, Seven, Zodiac, etc.

But how would they do that with tracks that we've heard in some form, like Oklahoma/Berlin and Zodiac? They can't change them that much to the point that we won't recognize them.