The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

1 minute ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Taylor Swift, since 2006, has released 10 albums, 4 completely re-recorded albums to secure the rights to her music (badass), 5 EPs, and 4 live albums. 

GnR, since 2006, has released 1 album, and 4 singles.

and still, GNR music is so extraordinarily superior in terms of everything and will be remembered for it

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DeNfr said:

and still, GNR music is so extraordinarily superior in terms of everything and will be remembered for it

I mean, to us it is. To a Taylor Swift fan, probably not. They’re completely different genres that cater to different people. 

11 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I’m not her target audience, and wouldn’t say I’m a fan but she is a monster. There has been nobody in my lifetime that touches her in terms of stardom. The fact that she’s doing it in the streaming and internet era makes it even more insane. She is like Beatles, Elvis, Madonna, Michael Jackson- tier in terms of pop culture awareness and influence. 

Edit- She has made albums cool again for young people and they eat up her actual music like we do for the artists we like. It isn’t just about a flash in the pan single. Again, I don’t listen to her or care about her music, but to deny her insane popularity and influence, is hilarious. 

I'd say it was far easier in the internet age. The likes of The Beatles, MJ, Elvis, Madonna etc had to rely on people actually going out of their front door and parting with their money to listen to their music. Streaming is far easier to do and many people stream music they would never think of parting money for.

It's also a bit sad how impressed grown men are with her popularity. Are we in high school or something? 

Edited by Towelie

1 minute ago, DeNfr said:

come on. 

This has already been discussed to death. If you're one of those fans that think GnR is still the biggest band in the world and everybody at the shows goes crazy for ChiDem songs then okay I'm not arguing about it lol

1 minute ago, Towelie said:

It's also a bit sad how impressed grown men are with her popularity. Are we in high school or something? 

No, what's sad is grown men disparaging and insulting her and her music for being popular. I believe the real culprit is a lot of sexual frustration 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Towelie said:

I'd say it was far easier in the internet age. The like of The Beatles, MJ, Elvis, Madonna etc had to rely on people to actually go out of their front door and part money to listen to their music. Streaming is far easier to do and many people stream music they would never think of parting money for.

Streaming also means there is more market saturation and why is it sad? Is it any more sad talking about an 80s rock band online every day for 16 years?  It’s fun to discuss music on here for me; she’s a big part of music right now. That’s all a fact

• Like 1

how I wish Kurt Cobain was still alive to shit so hard on this so-called "music" requiring
an army of 62 collaborators to exist, pointing out a society that has become so capitalistic
that its only argument regarding quality and relevance is the number of sales or the
fame it generates.

Just now, DeNfr said:

how I wish Kurt Cobain was still alive to shit so hard on this so-called "music" requiring
an army of 62 collaborators to exist, pointing out a society that has become so capitalistic
that its only argument regarding quality and relevance is the number of sales or the
fame it generates.

Cobain hated everything about GnR lol

Taylor Swift doesn't bug me much. I don't care for her music, but it is just pop music. It is more of the state of mainstream rock that sucks right now. Sure, there is a ton of good, new rock music out there but you have to dig for it. 

Look at the bands that were in the spotlight for the Grammy's last night- Disturbed, Ghost (for a cover!), Metallica, Greta Van Fleet, Paramore, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Ageetc. It is all either dinosaurs or meh stuff or not even rock music! The song that one "Best Rock Song" isn't even a rock song! I know the Grammys arent a good metric, but still,,,

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Cobain hated everything about GnR lol

so imagine what he would have thought of Taylor Swift's music

but he would have recognized the importance of her role as a woman in
the industry and would have appreciated her attitude against Trump. 

two things that I also readily concede

30 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

Let's take a look at the money people will pay to see Taylor Swift in concert and the money people will pay to see GN'R in concert right now. Then get back to me about who is "so extraordinarily superior" and who will be remembered for it. There's an answer, but I don't think you'll like it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I'd say it was far easier in the internet age. The likes of The Beatles, MJ, Elvis, Madonna etc had to rely on people actually going out of their front door and parting with their money to listen to their music. Streaming is far easier to do and many people stream music they would never think of parting money for.

I don't think you understand how many variants of the same album Swift's fans will purchase. They're rabid. And they'll happily shell out the money for these variants. It's not even a question.

I mean, sure, they don't have to get in their car and drive to the record store, but they're spending the money. Believe it.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

she's like Britney Spears or Justin Bieber, and she will be remembered*

*as a phenomenal record sellers and a blessing for the recording industry

Just stop digging, you are destroying yourself :lol: The fact you have compared her to them just shows the ignorance levels we have to deal with here. Next you'll be comparing the rolling stones and limp bizkit

9 minutes ago, Zeppelin said:

I don't think you understand how many variants of the same album Swift's fans will purchase. They're rabid. And they'll happily shell out the money for these variants. It's not even a question.

I mean, sure, they don't have to get in their car and drive to the record store, but they're spending the money. Believe it.

It is just crazy. 

I only own three copies of Appetite on viny- wait a minute....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

As a Swiftie's mum I have the feeling Taylor releases an album twice a month :lol: But it makes my daughter very happy and excited every time, so that's fine for me.

I don't understand her appeal myself, but she's only 34 now and she seems very prolific and everything she does seems very professional. I would bet she can have a great career for many many decades. 

Sometimes I wish I was a fan of a musician who loved working and worked with only professionals. Sadly, I'm stuck with Axl.

I could probably name a few songs, but only because of my daughter. I doubt my parents could name Madonna songs back in the day though. They weren't into that music, so I don't think it says a lot that many GNR fans don't know her songs.

But maybe streaming makees it worse? I mean, we used to listen to the radio and you would always have to listen to some songs you didn't like or would normally listen to. You'd discover more songs in more genres. Now you put on the things you like or the things your friends pointed out. Or things the algorithm shows you? 

• Like 2

Plus, she has already almost been around for decades, and she is bigger than ever. She has already cemented her legacy. The fact is, no other artist in history has done what her latest tour has. Not only is it all completely sold-out stadiums with multiple dates in each city, but tickets are also north of a thousand dollars for a nosebleed. That is unprecedented. 

The Beatles didn't do that. Michael Jackson didn't do that. Elvis didn't do that. Led Zeppelin, Madonna, The Rolling Stones, U2, or Pink Floyd didn't do that. Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, or any country star didn't do that. GNR certainly never did it. Some of those you can argue were in different times in their hey- day, but they still didn't do it. 

I am not saying she is the biggest or most influential music artist of all time, but she warrants a spot on the list, now. Besides, who cares? Not in This Lifetime is one of the highest grossing tours of all time. GNR is doing fine, and it doesn't matter if they aren't Swift levels. 

EDIT- I know I am coming across as a Taylor Swift fan, but the truth is, the ol' Swizzler kind of annoys me. I just think it insane how utterly massive she is now. 

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DeNfr said:

fame it generates.

Oh if Cobain was still alive he could well have been recording music for adverts and living on the proceeds of nostalgia tours like so many others like him. 

The beauty of death when you're young I suppose- we'll never know, and you leave an untarnished legacy. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Oh if Cobain was still alive he could well have been recording music for adverts and living on the proceeds of nostalgia tours like so many others like him. 

The beauty of death when you're young I suppose- we'll never know, and you leave an untarnished legacy. 

I'd rather be doing nostalgia tours and putting music in insurance commercials than do what he did :shrugs: