The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

3 hours ago, vloors said:

The word you dont get is "new"

Not some garbage throwaway track not good enough for CD from 20+ years ago. 

Axl cant be bothered creating anything new

Wait and see how productive Swift will be when she’s 60. 

Who goes against the trend of dying off creativly other than like Neil Young?

1 hour ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

Wait and see how productive Swift will be when she’s 60. 

Who goes against the trend of dying off creativly other than like Neil Young?

Axl has released one record in 30 years. The last/newest things he's released were written when he was around 38. Just sayin'. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dummy said:

Taylor swift could never write the general

how dare you?! she's the biggest artist of the world! she sells millions of records! THE GOAT! yes, she could!

with the help of 62 co-writers, and it would be called "He Dumped Me Again (Broke My Heart)" 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I know we've been here before, but when do we KNOW Axl last wrote a song? 

Not rumours, speculation, "he's writing all the time" type comments from people on the payroll, but actually know for sure? 

What was the last song we know he wrote? 

Probably the mid- 2000s. He was working on Shacklers then

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Not rumours, speculation, "he's writing all the time" type comments from people on the payroll, but actually know for sure? 

The one that always sticks out to me is Baz raving about a song that Ashba and Axl had written together - people speculate this was just instrumental, but we don't know for definite. So that, at the very least, is post 2009. There was a relatively unknown songwriter from England that was credited on a song with Axl after 2010 - I don't think much was known about the recording, it had a title we'd never heard before, but still every chance it's using samples of a Guns song where Axl is the sole writer or something. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but someone may be able to fill in the blanks here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

I'm under the impression you have asked this question before, because I remember answering :lol:

He has a writing credit for Sebastian Bach's Stuck Inside. If that counts, that's his last officially known credit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dean said:

The one that always sticks out to me is Baz raving about a song that Ashba and Axl had written together - people speculate this was just instrumental, but we don't know for definite. So that, at the very least, is post 2009. There was a relatively unknown songwriter from England that was credited on a song with Axl after 2010 - I don't think much was known about the recording, it had a title we'd never heard before, but still every chance it's using samples of a Guns song where Axl is the sole writer or something. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but someone may be able to fill in the blanks here.

I think the story about Axl and DJ Ashba writing a song together was probably a misunderstanding. Sebastian Bach supposedly said that in an interview with a Swedish magazine, but it was just paraphrased by a fan - I don't think we ever had the exact quote. In another interview (in English) Baz, talking about that song, said that it was something DJ Ashba had written and sent it to Axl.

Regarding the unknown/mysterious song with a placeholder title that Axl has a co-writing credit for along with someone named Richard Sanderson: I have looked into it a bit, and it isn't the Richard Sanderson fans thought (a film score composer,  I think), but someone who was in an obscure British post-punk band in the early '80s and then has done experimental/avant-garde stuff:

https://richardsanderson.weebly.com/

I thought of emailing him, but then forgot.

That song was written before 2004, because it was included in Axl's publishing deal with Sanctuary that was signed that year:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t8176-2004-09-20-administration-exclusive-songwriting-agreement-between-axl-black-frog-and-sanctuary

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think the story about Axl and DJ Ashba writing a song together was probably a misunderstanding. Sebastian Bach supposedly said that in an interview with a Swedish magazine, but it was just paraphrased by a fan - I don't think we ever had the exact quote. In another interview (in English) Baz, talking about that song, said that it was something DJ Ashba had written and sent it to Axl.

Regarding the unknown/mysterious song with a placeholder title that Axl has a co-writing credit for along with someone named Richard Sanderson: I have looked into it a bit, and it isn't the Richard Sanderson fans thought (a film score composer,  I think), but someone who was in an obscure British post-punk band in the early '80s and then has done experimental/avant-garde stuff:

I thought of emailing him, but then forgot.

That song was written before 2004, because it was included in Axl's publishing deal with Sanctuary that was signed that year:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t8176-2004-09-20-administration-exclusive-songwriting-agreement-between-axl-black-frog-and-sanctuary

Too many question marks over that 09-14 CD run and how much activity there actually was away from the stage. That wasn't the fella I'm thinking about though - the chap was a lot younger than Axl and was practically an unknown. Threads did pop up on here about it at the time after it was discovered - I'd guess around 2012? The fella must have been in his 20's at the time or something like that. It made no sense for the collaboration to take place, but what actually does make sense in GNR world?! Someone may remember what I'm on about and be able to provide additional info from what I'm forgetting.

2 minutes ago, Dean said:

Too many question marks over that 09-14 CD run and how much activity there actually was away from the stage. That wasn't the fella I'm thinking about though - the chap was a lot younger than Axl and was practically an unknown. Threads did pop up on here about it at the time after it was discovered - I'd guess around 2012? The fella must have been in his 20's at the time or something like that. It made no sense for the collaboration to take place, but what actually does make sense in GNR world?! Someone may remember what I'm on about and be able to provide additional info from what I'm forgetting.

Here is the thread about it (from 2012):

And a thread on GNREvo:

https://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=11466

But he isn't that guy they were talking about in those threads. There are two Richard Sanderson's on ASCAP, and the ASCAP ID number of the Richard Sanderson who is credited alongside Axl is the same as the old avant-garde guy.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I'm under the impression you have asked this question before, because I remember answering :lol:

He has a writing credit for Sebastian Bach's Stuck Inside. If that counts, that's his last officially known credit.

Yeah I'm sure I've asked before but totally forgot the answer! 

25 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Here is the thread about it (from 2012):

And a thread on GNREvo:

https://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=11466

But he isn't that guy they were talking about in those threads. There are two Richard Sanderson's on ASCAP, and the ASCAP ID number of the Richard Sanderson who is credited alongside Axl is the same as the old avant-garde guy.

What's this Richard Sanderson stuff about? 

The guy on that website is a morris dancer- anyone British will understand that it is absolutely bizarre that Axl is involved with this guy somehow. 

What's the brief story?! 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

What's this Richard Sanderson stuff about? 

The guy on that website is a morris dancer- anyone British will understand that it is absolutely bizarre that Axl is involved with this guy somehow. 

What's the brief story?! 

In short:

In 2012, fans found out about a registration on ASCAP for a song titled "SDHFKSDJHFKSF" (a placeholder title, obviously) which was credited to Axl and a Richard Sanderson:

https://www.ascap.com/repertory#/ace/search/workID/883512127

I gather that people then thought it was this guy:

http://www.richard-sanderson.com/

Someone emailed him, and he said he had nothing to do with Axl. So it was left at that (some thought it could be an alias for Buckethead, lol).

I came across it later (since I wasn't around on the forums in 2012) on ASCAP. It turns out there are more than one Richard Sanderson (one can tell from the different registration numbers). And the Richard Sanderson who is co-credited with Axl is this guy:

Also people assumed that the song was registered on ASCAP around that itme (2012). And maybe it appeared then

However, I recently got access to a copy of Axl's publishing deal with Sanctuary that was signed in 2004 and the song was included in there, so there were credits and copyrights before 2004.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3
  • Wow 1

On 2/4/2024 at 11:49 PM, DeNfr said:

it lacks cohesion where a global concept could have made accept the diversity of the songs.
out of 14 tracks almost half are relatively average, pleasant to listen to but without any particular substance in the long term.

I mean, who regularly listens to If the World, Catcher In the Rye, I.R.S. or even Street of Dreams & Madagascar? 

there are very strong things like There Was a Time, Prostitute, This I Love, Better, Shackler's Revenge or even something more controversial like Scraped and you would have something very strong with The General, Perhaps, Hard Skool & Monsters 

Not listening to songs regularly does not make them bad songs. Street of dreams, Madagascar, If the world are (for me) three favourites from that record. Quite partial to a bit of IRS too.

I take your point that not everything on Chinese was created equally.

I don't agree that adding any of the four latest singles would have improved Chinese though. Perhaps is the best of the litter, but it would have been one more slow rock/ballad songs on an album that already had quite a few.

Monsters only comes alive briefly but the rest of the songs vocal is so phoned in! that melody is... Well forgettable is a kind word.

The general... Just not a great track.

HardSkool. I suppose that could go on instead of Rhiad or scraped, but if it was going on in the way it was circa village leaks I'd rather have Rhiad/Scraped.

13 hours ago, jamillos said:

Hey, a new release is a new release, right? 

Yes, a new release is a new release. If the argument was that Swift releases MORE than GN'R, then there would be no comment from me. But since the argument was that Swift, unlike GN'R, releases new music, then I will point out that I disagree on the very fact that we just got new music.

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

In short:

In 2012, fans found out about a registration on ASCAP for a song titled "SDHFKSDJHFKSF" (a placeholder title, obviously) which was credited to Axl and a Richard Sanderson:

https://www.ascap.com/repertory#/ace/search/workID/883512127

I gather that people then thought it was this guy:

http://www.richard-sanderson.com/

Someone emailed him, and he said he had nothing to do with Axl. So it was left at that (some thought it could be an alias for Buckethead, lol).

I came across it later (since I wasn't around on the forums in 2012) on ASCAP. It turns out there are more than one Richard Sanderson (one can tell from the different registration numbers). And the Richard Sanderson who is co-credited with Axl is this guy:

Also people assumed that the song was registered on ASCAP around that itme (2012). And maybe it appeared then

However, I recently got access to a copy of Axl's publishing deal with Sanctuary that was signed in 2004 and the song was included in there, so there were credits and copyrights before 2004.

Can you say which other titles were in his contract in 2004?

33 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, a new release is a new release. If the argument was that Swift releases MORE than GN'R, then there would be no comment from me. But since the argument was that Swift, unlike GN'R, releases new music, then I will point out that I disagree on the very fact that we just got new music.

Hi Jarmo, playing dumb again, are we? :facepalm:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Dean said:

Was the song called Registered? Assuming your not conflating it with what Blackstar means it could be Registered. It was a track someone claimed was real around 2012/13. & it was a young guy in England working at a studio within a university. I forget the name of the place but I looked into the studio (which existed) & the guy may well have worked there or gone to Uni there, but I doubt the track itself is real. I think it was somebody just trying to get on a trading ladder by using BS

From memory I think it was 2 instrumentals and a song that was just piano but I think was supposed to have scratch vocals i think.

20 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

Was the song called Registered? Assuming your not conflating it with what Blackstar means it could be Registered. It was a track someone claimed was real around 2012/13. & it was a young guy in England working at a studio within a university. I forget the name of the place but I looked into the studio (which existed) & the guy may well have worked there or gone to Uni there, but I doubt the track itself is real. I think it was somebody just trying to get on a trading ladder by using BS

From memory I think it was 2 instrumentals and a song that was just piano but I think was supposed to have scratch vocals i think.

Russel Nash posted it in the end of that first thread Blackstar posted - fella is actually American. I’d assume it’s most likely sampling or use of lyrics.

Type of Work: Sound Recording and Music

Registration Number / Date:

SRu000985948 / 2010-11-25

Application Title: Goodbye.

Title: Goodbye.

Description: Electronic file (eService)

Copyright Claimant:

Jordan Patrick Freeman, 1992- .

Date of Creation: 2010

Authorship on Application:

Jordan Patrick Freeman, 1992- ; Domicile: United States;

Citizenship: United States. Authorship: sound recording,

performance, production, music, lyrics.

Axl Rose; Domicile: United States; Citizenship: United

States. Authorship: sound recording, performance,

production, music, lyrics.

Rights and Permissions:

Jordan Patrick Freeman, Jordan Freeman Productions, LLC,

P.O. Box 13073, Scottsdale, AZ, 85267, (855) 717-5626,

copyright@jordanfreemanproductions.com

Copyright Note: C.O. correspondence.

Names: Freeman, Jordan Patrick, 1992-

Rose, Axl

================================================================================

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Library of Congress

United States Copyright Office

101 Independence Ave., S.E.

Washington, D.C. 20559-6000

202-707-3000