The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

4 hours ago, jekylhyde said:

I'm always eager to hear new Guns N' Roses songs, but after hearing how organic and lively Duff's new album and Slash's new blues stuff sound, I'm not that excited to hear those Nu-Guns -era songs anymore. They're cool compositions and nice things to have, but they do sound kind of stale in comparison to examples mentioned above.

Yeah, the contrast between how Slash and Duff operate and how Axl operates is almost mindboggling. You wouldn't believe they are in the same band if you didn't know it.

And yes, while it's cool getting anything new from Guns, I can't help but feel so so tired whenever I see all those ancient song names repeated and repeated in the same old same discussions of what might be released next and so on, while there are cool new projects by people from the band out there. I would most definitely say the same about Axl, if he'd choose to release a piano instrumental album or a soundtrack score or whatever. It's not some kind of Axl vs the others thing.

• Like 3

What's really a shame is that they all seem to be on more of a similar page musically than ever. Duff's new album is very 70s rock flavored, most of Axl's recent cover choices have been rooted in 60s/70s rock and blues, Slash is doing a blues album. Plus they brought Bad Obsession and Anything Goes last year which fall right in that vein.

• Like 1

I think that maybe once Axl gained enough control and after the whole Chinese recording process and how he wasn't satisfied with how it was released (regardless of who was to blame for that) shit changed. 

just like you can expect Slash and Duff to keep touring and releasing records for the foreseeable future cause that seems like a natural process for them, like many musicians, I think you can expect Axl to mostly do the tours for money and everything that has anything to do with releasing original material is secondary to him living a comfortable life.

this doesn't mean that Axl never writes music and lyrics and records some stuff, just that it's possible that he does that when he feels like doing it cause if he operated like this for more than 15 years now, it probably means there's no rush for him to do anything musical anymore which again, doesn't mean he completely lost interest, but he doesn't seem to need to create and share his music on a regular basis like most musicians, like Slash and Duff do. speculation.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

In 2019 when the locker leak happened I think GNR could've done what Kiss did when bootleg copies of Carnival of Souls started circulating during their reunion tour. They just released the album officially. Didn't really promote it and never did play any of the songs live. But they were like here, you want these, pay us. Same with GnR. Release it officially, call it Chinese Democracy II: The Final Sessions or something like that. Done.

Hypothetical question:

Let's say that GN'R, instead of Slash solo, were about to release the same album of blues covers, and Axl sounded as good as Brian Johnson on Killing Floor, same with the rest of the band.

How would everybody feel about that?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Hypothetical question:

Let's say that GN'R, instead of Slash solo, were about to release the same album of blues covers, and Axl sounded as good as Brian Johnson on Killing Floor, same with the rest of the band.

I would be stoked even more.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Hypothetical question:

when it comes to covers, I'm more interested in Gn'R doing a more eclectic second cover album. like TSI had "Since I Don't Have You", it wasn't just "punk gone hard rock" thing, so for example, if Wichita was a part of the tracklist and every member got to choose at least a couple of covers they're into from more than just one genre (Axl, Slash, and Duff gets to choose to be clear) that would be something with a lot of potential cause Gn'R did a lot of great covers live imho over the years.

I love blues, I just think that Gn'R is capable of doing a more interesting cover project when it's not just one genre and they also get to try maybe venture outside their comfort zone while also covering songs in their comfort zone which is hard rock imo.

but Wichita showed, at least for me, that Gn'R could capture magic in multiple genres and that's what I'd like them to do in that scenario. like a blues, hard rock, punk, and American country for example.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Sweersa said:

It was mentioned around the time of the reunion that Axl had a lot of material, and he wanted to get it out there before they write actual new material. This makes sense too, as so far it is what we have gotten from the NITL lineup.

That was in the China Exchange Q&A on 2016. I was 15 atm and I was ready to get my teenage ass on a record store to buy the new GN'R album even if it was reworked songs from the CD era. Now we're in 2024, I'm almost 23 and we've only got 4 singles (officially released). I liked them all, some more and some less. These are the first times for me to hear new music from the band when its actually released but their schedule -if there's any- is driving us all mad, especially those of you who were there from the beginning or 90's and onwards. 

Edited by Stiven.DxN.10
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

If Axl needs to put out the Chinese leftovers for whatever reason despite it's more than questionable quality...at least put the rest of it out at once, and soon. 

Yeah I'd agree with that. I have no issue at all with the Chinese leftovers getting dusted down and released- but just do it.

I don't see what possible advantage there is to sitting on them for months and months then releasing one song before killing the momentum again for another long period of time. 

If they came as an album, 10 or so songs, properly released and promoted, it would have far more impact. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Twinaleblood said:

Oh I would love to get studio versions of both Wichita and The Seeker.

Wichita never clicked with me but the energy that The Seeker brings to a show (and to Axl) was really cool to see, so yeah, bring it on.

Oh and yeah, THAT version of Sailing properly mixed. 

Edited by Spoon87
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Hypothetical question:

I would look forward to it as I think blues songs would fit his voice as it now. Plus, the lack of pressure to come up with quality new material could be a plus 

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

So would I.

But I suspect that wouldn't be most fans' reaction ("meh, covers" etc.)

Really....when the alternative is what we get - nothing on tap!  At this point, beggars REALLY can't be choosers...of course we all have preferences but surely, any recording activity would be almost universally praised and received...

11 hours ago, El Guapo said:

If Axl needs to put out the Chinese leftovers for whatever reason despite it's more than questionable quality...at least put the rest of it out at once, and soon. 

He might not agree with you that they have "questionable quality". 

10 hours ago, DTV88 said:

I would look forward to it as I think blues songs would fit his voice as it now. Plus, the lack of pressure to come up with quality new material could be a plus 

Completely agree.

8 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Really....when the alternative is what we get - nothing on tap!  At this point, beggars REALLY can't be choosers...of course we all have preferences but surely, any recording activity would be almost universally praised and received...

Allow me to strongly doubt it. But let's hope GN'R release an album or EP of covers, so we can find out :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Completely agree.

Allow me to strongly doubt it. But let's hope GN'R release an album or EP of covers, so we can find out :lol:

Of course i'd rather an original kickass album...but my realistic mind says, a covers LP is much more doable and viable for Axl...I also think doing one could be a stepping stone to getting back in the habit, so to speak....also when they're in that environment, maybe a few original ideas could and would blossom, i'm not one of those that think Axl has lost it, or isn't capable....it's just an apathy thing...he could and can still find it again if the right circumstances arrive. The single releases is something, we gotta hope they get the last few out in the next year or so and then hit those "crossroads" ...i will still have lingering hope until the end of this decade that something better will arrive....🤞

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, axlvai said:

I need a live UYI Tour concert. I can settle just with a dvd quality just like Saskatoon

We got that already 2 in fact. They just need to get in the same room and hammer out some new tunes like a real band. It shouldn't be this difficult LOL!