The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

On 3/15/2024 at 6:31 PM, 2020_Intensions said:

I think you're all kidding yourselves contemplating single release vs album release ... It's sooooooo so obvious that what they're doing is drip feeding us songs to add excitement to each new tour lol this has nothing to do with artistic / creative integrity 

If you think casuals, who are the ones who make tours happen, even know about the existence of the general you're delusional lol 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I don't agree that Axl doesn't care. There's been effort from him behind these releases but it's not "recognizable" or gets overlooked, because it's more about non-creative aspects.  Although we don't know the details, based on the credits it seems that Axl has bought the master recordings of the songs from the label, and that the re-recording and production have been paid for by GN'R (not the label). He wouldn't have done this if he didn't care, would he?

As for how they sound, he has signed them as co-producer, so he's responsible for it. I don't know, maybe he thought that's how they should sound in terms of "modern" production aimed mainly at streaming services.

Well I think he's always wanted 'control' so it would make sense that he bought the masters- that's a move totally in keeping with what we know of Axl from the past. That he's in charge of everything. 

I can't fathom why someone who cared so much would let those production issues go through. It's so weird. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I doubt that Slash and Duff would try to put pressure on Axl, they know he doesn't react well to pressure/deadlines/criticism. I do agree that they would feel a bit embarrassed deep down every time either are asked about new music.

I wouldn't imagine 'pressure' is the term, but given their productivity and activities outside of the band, it must be clear they get restless- and surely they must have made rumblings about new music on several occasions and asked questions about it...otherwise even the little that has happened wouldn't have done.

I can't see Axl being the driving force on them recording their additions, especially given he seemingly did nothing new himself to the tracks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

I wouldn't imagine 'pressure' is the term, but given their productivity and activities outside of the band, it must be clear they get restless- and surely they must have made rumblings about new music on several occasions and asked questions about it...otherwise even the little that has happened wouldn't have done.

I can't see Axl being the driving force on them recording their additions, especially given he seemingly did nothing new himself to the tracks.

Yet, according to all sources and everything that has been documented, it was Axl who wanted and asked Slash and Duff to rework these songs. Although it's safe to assume that Slash and Duff would prefer to work on brand new music, they agreed to work on the CD era songs because Axl wanted it and probably seeing it as a step towards potential new music.

So, even though I'm sure they would like to record new music, they wouldn't suggest to re-record these songs themselves if Axl didn't ask them to.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yet, according to all sources and everything that has been documented, it was Axl who wanted and asked Slash and Duff to rework these songs. Although it's safe to assume that Slash and Duff would prefer to work on brand new music, they agreed to work on the CD era songs because Axl wanted it and probably seeing it as a step towards potential new music.

So, even though I'm sure they would like to record new music, they wouldn't suggest to re-record these songs themselves if Axl didn't ask them to.

Did that wanting and asking come out of the blue though, or after others asking to write/record new music? 

9 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Did that wanting and asking come out of the blue though, or after others asking to write/record new music? 

Axl already said he wanted to release these songs (and - paraphrasing - that it would be great if Slash agreed to play on them) in the China Exchange interview in 2016.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Reading between the lines with what Slash has said, these tracks were Axls idea and Slash viewed it as a vehicle to get to a proper new record. They almost definitely wanted to go in and make a record and Axl pushed the breaks wanting to get these songs released first. 

I'm guessing the GNR engines will start revving up towards the end of this year... I'd assume there's going to be more touring before they contemplate a record, but I'd like to believe what Slash said was going to materialise, I guess he's free from about September assuming he doesn't book more shows.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Reading between the lines with what Slash has said, these tracks were Axls idea and Slash viewed it as a vehicle to get to a proper new record. They almost definitely wanted to go in and make a record and Axl pushed the breaks wanting to get these songs released first. 

I'm guessing the GNR engines will start revving up towards the end of this year... I'd assume there's going to be more touring before they contemplate a record, but I'd like to believe what Slash said was going to materialise, I guess he's free from about September assuming he doesn't book more shows.

Slash has said he plans to record new SMKC in the fall. And Duff will be touring at that time.

11 hours ago, allwaystired said:

My best guess is these songs are getting released because of pressure from Slash and Duff, who are probably a bit embarrassed about the lack of music and sick of having people ask them about it in interviews. I'd wager musician friends of theirs in other bands ask a lot too. 

If Axl cared about these songs he wouldn't have allowed them to come out so badly mixed and produced. The impression that comes across is that he couldn't give a shit about how they sound. 

From the interviews, I think it is fairly clear Duff and Slash wanted to create new music in GN'R. I think their attitude to the old CD era music was probably similar to Dj and Bumblefoot's, that they would prefer to make music from the bottoms up so they could influence the songs more and get writing credits. That is not necessarily a criticism of the songs quality, more that they wanted to to be part of it. A new album after they had rejoined the band comprised entirely of songs composed by other musicians in the CD era probably didn't sit that well with them, for natural reasons. But I think it became clear that Axl wasn't ready for new music yet or that he preferred to finish up songs from the CD era that he wanted to the see the public light of day. So I suppose it was a compromise by Duff and Slash, a way to move things forward and get to a situation where they might work of new music. So I don't think they necessarily "pressured" Axl, like you write, but more agreed to work on these songs while hoping it would take the band into its next phase where writing new music was a possibility. 

As for the statement that Axl can't care about these songs because they are badly mixed and produced. Well, apart from clear mistakes like clipping, that is highly subjective. There has been trends in mixing and production and different artists have different preferences. Additionally, Axl might not have the skills to take these songs that have been worked on for ages and get new guitar and bass tracks onto them and make it sounds organic and with room and air. His chops might not be there to make it sound organic and dynamic. Lastly, maybe he doesn't care so much about these things as some fans do. Maybe his appreciation of the songs lies elsewhere, like in chord shifts, orchestration and arrangement, lyrics, etc. I think there are enough indications that he cares about his songs to not conclude that he doesn't simply because you don't like the production or because of minor flaws (there are many minor flaws in other GN'R songs and albums). And there are many examples of popular artists that release music where the production isn't that great without anyone concluding they didn't care, look at the clipping in Californication, the poor levelling in And Justice For All... And in some cases it is even by design (look at The Stooges and many punk records). 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 11:01 AM, wendirosez said:

Well  ... I hope people are happy ...some very valuable member has decided to leave us . For those of you acting like straight up cunts, I  hope it all blows up in your face.

I really wish you'd come back, Wendi. 😫 Shacklemyre came back MONTHS ago. 💡

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, SoNobodyToldYaBaby said:

If you think casuals, who are the ones who make tours happen, even know about the existence of the general you're delusional lol 

They might know, but don't care as long as GNR plays the classic songs on tour and does a great show.

1 hour ago, Karice said:

I really wish you'd come back, Wendi. 😫 Shacklemyre came back MONTHS ago. 💡

sometimes people lose interest in visiting a forum on the internet. it seems likely that Wendi got upset and never came back here again. it happens all the time.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

The worst thing is idiots here will say 'Axl don't owe you a thing' - well actually he kind of does. If he says he has songs to release that GnR fans will like, and I buy tickets to his show and invest in his product and brand etc, then yes he does owe me. He owes me those songs. That's not entitled. that's literally the transaction between musician and fans. 

He owes you songs because you bought tickets to live shows or merch or whatever? Are you on crack? :lol:

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

I still find it strange people say Axl really cares about getting these songs out there.

I see nothing strange about that.

8 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

considering nearly all of those songs came from the 98/99 sessions we're talking 26 years later.

So? All we know is that he is releasing these songs many years later. But that doesn't say anything about how much Axl cares about these songs. You could interpret these things any way you want. You could also say that he cares about these songs so much that he hasn't been able to release them before he was fully satisfied with them. You could also theorize that Axl's been writing new songs throughout all these years and he didn't want to release the old songs before he had enough new material that he was satisfied with. You can make tons of different theories about these things, but at the end of the day this is all just speculation. The only fact is that Axl is releasing these songs many years later than when they were originally written. Everything else is just speculation.

3 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

I mean, did he even expect to live this long? he's 62.

I think he did. I surely expect to live that long. It's also possible that he doesn't really think about death much. I mean the songs are probably going to be released posthumously anyway, even if he dies. So his death doesn't really have all that much to do with whether or not the songs will be released.

21 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

he cannot be arsed to go through the whole writing recording releasing process again, even with slash and duff.

Again, this is speculation. For all we know, Axl could be recording new music right now. We simply don't know

24 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

but it's the tease to the fans and the promise of so much more. 

What are you talking about?

24 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

The worst thing is idiots here will say 'Axl don't owe you a thing'

I mean, that's kinda true though. Obviously if you've paid for a concert ticket, Axl does owe you to show up and perform in that concert or otherwise you should get your money back. But other than that. He has every right to retire now, if he wants to.

27 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

If he says he has songs to release that GnR fans will like

I don't think he has ever said that. He has said that CD2 was pretty much done years ago. But he also said that if you didn't like CD1, you probably won't like CD2 either. Well those weren't his exact words, but something along those lines. I don't think he has ever promised that GNR fans will like those songs. Obviously Axl doesn't owe you anything just because you buy GNR merch. No, if you pay for GNR merch, the transaction is that you get the merch that you paid for. You have already gotten what you paid for. Nobody owes you anything more.

33 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

And if he doesn't want to do that anymore, that is fine, just tell us.

If he doesn't want to do what? Release music? They just released The General and Perhaps, so obviously he still wants to release music. Does he want to release music as often as you would like him to? I don't think he is capable of writing new music as fast as you would like him to. So even if he would want to release music more often, I don't think he is capable of doing that. But that's speculation on my part. What ever the case may be, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone at this point that GNR is releasing music at a very slow pace. So I don't know what you're expecting Axl to tell us. That he is a slow songwriter? Would you be satisfied if he said that?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

I still find it strange people say Axl really cares about getting these songs out there. it's 2024 and of the 32 done in 2006, 18 have been released officially. considering nearly all of those songs came from the 98/99 sessions we're talking 26 years later. I mean, did he even expect to live this long? he's 62. and he still hasn't released them. That doesn't smack of someone that gives a damn about these songs. maybe he did between 98-2008. but he hasn't given a damn since. 

Like I pointed out earlier, there's strong indication that Axl bought the master recordings of these songs from the label, so he has spent his own money on them, which in turn is an indication that he cares. And I suspect that this is a big part of the reason he's been releasing them now and not earlier.

Now, why the songs are being released at such slow pace, I don't know. Axl's perception and sense of time is different than ours.

• Like 2

I agree that Axl doesn’t see time or aging the same way any of us do. I think what’s interesting is how he used to say Sillkworms/Absurd was the next single back in the early 2010’s, and look what happened. Same sort of principle of him thinking he is young or seasoned enough to bust out songs like Black in Back in 2022 before realizing he sounds like dogshit on it. In Axl’s mind, the new 4 are really “the new songs”. He would refer to Hard Skool as a new single over a year after release. 

8 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I agree that Axl doesn’t see time or aging the same way any of us do. I think what’s interesting is how he used to say Sillkworms/Absurd was the next single back in the early 2010’s, and look what happened. Same sort of principle of him thinking he is young or seasoned enough to bust out songs like Black in Back in 2022 before realizing he sounds like dogshit on it. In Axl’s mind, the new 4 are really “the new songs”. He would refer to Hard Skool as a new single over a year after release. 

Well he also referred to HS as kinda new and then mumbled something about it dating back a few years. I think he's more aware of what he's doing than you think... He just doesn't give a fuck😄 20yrs old song?? Sure release it

35 minutes ago, Rovim said:

"this is a new song I wrote 20 years ago" introducing Absurd that one time. pretty sure Axl knows.

Of course he knows. What’s not to know there. Just because he needs years to release something, it’s not like he doesn’t know that time went by lol 

6 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Of course he knows. What’s not to know there. Just because he needs years to release something, it’s not like he doesn’t know that time went by lol 

some posters seems to think differently so in case it wasn't obvious to everyone, just shared my opinion on it. you'd think Axl is downright delusional going by some of the posts in this thread and I think he's not detached from reality as some here may like to think he is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

"this is a new song I wrote 20 years ago" introducing Absurd that one time. pretty sure Axl knows.

i thought that was when he introduced Hard Skool Seville 2022 or did he also do that with Absurd too?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rovim said:

some posters seems to think differently so in case it wasn't obvious to everyone, just shared my opinion on it. you'd think Axl is downright delusional going by some of the posts in this thread and I think he's not detached from reality as some here may like to think he is.

My post wasn’t meant to criticize you or your post. It should back up your opinion. It’s one thing to say Axl has a different sense of time and to say that he doesn’t know that years went by.