The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah read this earlier. It's vague, Slash's foreseeable future would need Legolas eyesight😄

The takeaway here is that it's not a priority, but they are not opposed to doing a record. Basically don't hold your breath.

It can't not be vague, because Slash knows better that it's not predictable when Axl finishes (or starts) doing something, what mood he's in at a given time, whether he changes his mind, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Interview with Slash, released today:

You brought out two Guns N’ Roses singles last year, The General and Perhaps. Do you think there is a chance of a new Guns N’ Roses album?

Slash: I don’t know exactly when. I definitely think there will be. I find Guns N’ Roses very hard to pin down to a date, but there will be one coming in the foreseeable future.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/2024/03/25/slash-i-always-enjoy-coming-to-dublin-it-is-exciting-when-it-is-the-first-gig-on-the-run/

(I know people are going react to this in the same way they did to what Duff said in the recent interview, but it had to be shared, for informational purposes at least.)

Our problem since Nov 2008! Slash finally confirms Axl IS GNR after all then 😸

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

It can't not be vague, because Slash knows better that it's not predictable when Axl finishes (or starts) doing something, what mood he's in at a given time, whether he changes his mind, etc.

it's a confiramtion that Slash is optimistic about Axl doing a final album eventually and is always open to do his parts is my guess. it's a nice reminder that no one is saying no kind of a thing. soon is not the word.

Edited by Rovim

45 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

"Guns N Roses are very hard to pin down to a date" is the understatement of the year. 

Poor old Slash. He must be sick of these questions. 

I think it’s as honest as it gets.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Don't agree, the songs on Chinese were a lot better thought out, different lyrics for each verse, better vocal melodies better arrangements. While obviously not a perfect record the songs for the most part were strong and there was at least a few that everyone could agree were good songs (I would say about 8 good/great songs).

The village leak material doesn't have the cohesion, or the attention to detail the Chinese material had. 

Who knows what they sounded like in 2014 before Slash/Duff worked on them, but the general arrangements are what they were and that's a big issue along with the vocals/lyrics so I believe IF this was what CDII was it was going to be a disappointment. Saying that as a big fan of Chinese as well. Slash and Duff probably improved a few of these songs

Well to be fair, we have yet to hear many of the songs intended for CD2, in complete or even in instrumental form for some tracks. I do agree The General, Absurd, and even Perhaps are less complex than a lot of what was on CD, but CD2 as a whole, we don't have enough material to be conclusive on the complexity. But as of yet, we have not heard anything like TWAT or Prostitute. Even Monsters isn't that complex and is fairly repedative, Hard Skool too. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Well to be fair, we have yet to hear many of the songs intended for CD2, in complete or even in instrumental form for some tracks. I do agree The General, Absurd, and even Perhaps are less complex than a lot of what was on CD, but CD2 as a whole, we don't have enough material to be conclusive on the complexity. But as of yet, we have not heard anything like TWAT or Prostitute. Even Monsters isn't that complex and is fairly repedative, Hard Skool too. 

Well we've heard a fair few to draw some conclusions. Atlas included. I don't know how much more material was intended for CDII but that's a first half of a record there or more, so the remainder would need to be A++ materia. So I can't write off what I haven't heard true, but what I have had no excited me like hearing Better, Madagascar or I.R.S back when they first appeared.

Of course I would love to hear something great though! I'm sure there's something in that vault that could be fucking brilliant.🤞that monsters and Atlas aren't the only other songs coming out way! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Well we've heard a fair few to draw some conclusions. Atlas included. I don't know how much more material was intended for CDII but that's a first half of a record there or more, so the remainder would need to be A++ materia. So I can't write off what I haven't heard true, but what I have had no excited me like hearing Better, Madagascar or I.R.S back when they first appeared.

Of course I would love to hear something great though! I'm sure there's something in that vault that could be fucking brilliant.🤞that monsters and Atlas aren't the only other songs coming out way! 

won't know until you hear the full version of cd ll from 2008 technically speaking

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rovim said:

won't know until you hear the full version of cd ll from 2008 technically speaking

I suppose one day we'll know

....just about outliving Axl potentially....Team Brazil will bleed us dry when all the tour money dries up in Axl's afterlife. If Axl doesn't get to it...I think we can revist these points and questions 10 years from now and see if we have some A's to the Q's. 🤞

29 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

I suppose one day we'll know

....just about outliving Axl potentially....Team Brazil will bleed us dry when all the tour money dries up in Axl's afterlife. If Axl doesn't get to it...I think we can revist these points and questions 10 years from now and see if we have some A's to the Q's. 🤞

I believe Axl could do it in his lifetime, maybe he'll be in the mood to get to it at some point. Slash seems optimitic. my guess is there's no shortage of good ideas, but Axl works in slow motion.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

True, but that might never happen though. All that we can do is go by what we have heard and the rumoured tracklisting. 

For me the shine on that material has worn off and I don't care all that much to ever hear the rest. Each song that comes out has a curiosity factor that makes me listen but none keep me hooked... Well, Perhaps gets a pass I have listened to that a fair bit.

9 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

True, but that might never happen though. All that we can do is go by what we have heard and the rumoured tracklisting. 

For me the shine on that material has worn off and I don't care all that much to ever hear the rest. Each song that comes out has a curiosity factor that makes me listen but none keep me hooked... Well, Perhaps gets a pass I have listened to that a fair bit.

potentially I  believe the current lineup could come up with great Gn'R material

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rovim said:

potentially I  believe the current lineup could come up with great Gn'R material

I don't doubt that. Slash has definitely got some good songs in him if he's motivated! And Axl is good at picking Slash's better ideas. The collaboration between the two could be great IF they can get in a room together and write. Which I think they are getting closer to doing. I said it loads of times but Slash likes to write on the road, I'm sure he's sent files to Axl and I'm sure there's things Axl has earmarked. But Axls sense of time is beyond your average persons understanding and when he will give the go ahead is anyone's guess so Slash saying that was as accurate an update as he could give... Although he is a sly fox so he also has been know to mislead!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't doubt that. Slash has definitely got some good songs in him if he's motivated! And Axl is good at picking Slash's better ideas. The collaboration between the two could be great IF they can get in a room together and write. Which I think they are getting closer to doing. I said it loads of times but Slash likes to write on the road, I'm sure he's sent files to Axl and I'm sure there's things Axl has earmarked. But Axls sense of time is beyond your average persons understanding and when he will give the go ahead is anyone's guess so Slash saying that was as accurate an update as he could give... Although he is a sly fox so he also has been know to mislead!

slash has not mislead once since he rejoined Gn'R if we want to be accurate. Duff is also a strong songwriter, he latest work gives me hope that the 3 of them can come up with a final statement in a form of an album, maybe made with some older material completely reworked as well.

Axl has been touring doing 3 hour shows for a long time. that's prbably considerd work for him. Slash and Duff and the current lineup are always there for him when he needs them to put another piece in the album puzzle that's how I see it. they don't need to be in the room for most of the time to accomplish this great undertaking but there is still time to slack off and still get it done in Axl time is my honest opinion.

does Axl wants to make a final musical statement with Gn'R? my guess is he does.

31 minutes ago, Rovim said:

slash has not mislead once since he rejoined Gn'R if we want to be accurate. Duff is also a strong songwriter, he latest work gives me hope that the 3 of them can come up with a final statement in a form of an album, maybe made with some older material completely reworked as well.

Axl has been touring doing 3 hour shows for a long time. that's prbably considerd work for him. Slash and Duff and the current lineup are always there for him when he needs them to put another piece in the album puzzle that's how I see it. they don't need to be in the room for most of the time to accomplish this great undertaking but there is still time to slack off and still get it done in Axl time is my honest opinion.

does Axl wants to make a final musical statement with Gn'R? my guess is he does.

Well I didn't say anything about misleading... But what you said isn't entirely true. He said they needed to finish off shows in 2023 and then they were going to work on a record. It was a pretty definitive answer. I don't think he said that knowing it wasn't going to happen though. Axl has his reasons why they haven't got it together, I highly doubt anyone but him knows that answer.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Well I didn't say anything about misleading... But what you said isn't entirely true. He said they needed to finish off shows in 2023 and then they were going to work on a record. It was a pretty definitive answer. I don't think he said that knowing it wasn't going to happen though. Axl has his reasons why they haven't got it together, I highly doubt anyone but him knows that answer.

thing is that I think that Axl isn't talking cause he knows it's probably a good idea not to say anything until it's close to or complete, not because lack of interst or ability cause he works on his own time and isn't in any rush especially with Chinese era material still being released. it seems like it's one thing at a time when it comes to when he wants things to happen and it also depends on when he feels like doing it and it could be a very stop/start project without normal work flow if you know what I mean. 

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Interview with Slash, released today:

You brought out two Guns N’ Roses singles last year, The General and Perhaps. Do you think there is a chance of a new Guns N’ Roses album?

Slash: I don’t know exactly when. I definitely think there will be. I find Guns N’ Roses very hard to pin down to a date, but there will be one coming in the foreseeable future.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/2024/03/25/slash-i-always-enjoy-coming-to-dublin-it-is-exciting-when-it-is-the-first-gig-on-the-run/

(I know people are going react to this in the same way they did to what Duff said in the recent interview, but it had to be shared, for informational purposes at least.)

"When" is the word.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ratam said:

"When" is the word.

just to be accurate with my opinion, I believe there's a real chance it's never going to happen when it comes to a brand new Gn'R album/hybrid with brand new tunes released, but it's still possible for the reasons I've specified.

• Like 1

my guess is not even Axl knows if/when. broad strokes at the most it seems for now with all the endless touring and material is being released. I can see it happening eventually when Axl puts more of his focus on it, if he hasn't at least thought about how to put it together already.

we don't know enough either way so I'll never rule Gn'R going out with a bang out until the band is over or Axl says it and there must be a reason of why he keeps it open, not ruling it out and Duff and Slash seems hopeful that another album will happen eventually, that's the only way to read it imho.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Don't agree, the songs on Chinese were a lot better thought out, different lyrics for each verse, better vocal melodies better arrangements. While obviously not a perfect record the songs for the most part were strong and there was at least a few that everyone could agree were good songs (I would say about 8 good/great songs).

The village leak material doesn't have the cohesion, or the attention to detail the Chinese material had. 

The Village material doesn't have the attention to detail because the Village material represents an early snapshot of the songs. Just look at what happend to Sorry or Shackler's Revenge in the 8 years or so that passed from the Village versions were recorded until Chinese Democracy came out. Most of the songs only existed in an early form where the attention was on the general instrumental arrangements.

As I have said before, I think all of the four singles we have had could easily have replaced songs on Chinese Democracy. Replacing If The World, This I Love, Scraped and Riad, with Perhaps, Hardskool, Absurd and The General would have made that record much, much better... in my subjective opinion. Not only that, but these four singles are very varied from simple straight-forward rocker like Hardskool, to punkish rarity like Absurd, to mid-tempo and introspective piano-driven ballad like Perhaps, and to the more experimental fusion of styles with very heavy subject matter like The General. Not sure I agree they don't have the same "attention to detail" as songs off Chinese Democracy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

The Village material doesn't have the attention to detail because the Village material represents an early snapshot of the songs. Just look at what happend to Sorry or Shackler's Revenge in the 8 years or so that passed from the Village versions were recorded until Chinese Democracy came out. Most of the songs only existed in an early form where the attention was on the general instrumental arrangements.

As I have said before, I think all of the four singles we have had could easily have replaced songs on Chinese Democracy. Replacing If The World, This I Love, Scraped and Riad, with Perhaps, Hardskool, Absurd and The General would have made that record much, much better... in my subjective opinion. Not only that, but these four singles are very varied from simple straight-forward rocker like Hardskool, to punkish rarity like Absurd, to mid-tempo and introspective piano-driven ballad like Perhaps, and to the more experimental fusion of styles with very heavy subject matter like The General. Not sure I agree they don't have the same "attention to detail" as songs off Chinese Democracy.

plus you've got Monsters and Axl doesn't seem to choose what he releases going by how AAA it is. he released Absurd first, those village leaks are old like you said and just a small piece of the recording puzzle. seems easy to enough to understand even if you don't like the 4 tunes released so far. doesn't mean you won't like the next one, if released/leaked.

12 hours ago, allwaystired said:

"Guns N Roses are very hard to pin down to a date" is the understatement of the year. 

Poor old Slash. He must be sick of these questions. 

Yep and its not his fault there isnt any new album or songs.

I know he would love to have them out too. Same as duff.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I find Guns N’ Roses very hard to pin down to a date

Slash, come on lad. You’re the lead guitarist in one of the most successful bands of all time. Surely you are able to give more info than this. (Or is he? :ph34r:)

8 years with 4 singles. Kinda baffles me. Very slow year for Guns. Keeping my interest elsewhere with Pearl Jam and Kings of Leon releasing new albums. Also going to see PJ live for the first time ever this year!

Edited by gavgnr
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, gavgnr said:

Slash, come on lad. You’re the lead guitarist in one of the most successful bands of all time. Surely you are able to give more info than this. (Or is he? :ph34r:)

8 years with 4 singles. Kinda baffles me. Very slow year for Guns. Keeping my interest elsewhere with Pearl Jam and Kings of Leon releasing new albums. Also going to see PJ live for the first time ever this year!

It's the Axl show, that much is very clear. It's all on him, just like he demands.

That's bad for the band, bad for the brand and bad for the fans but that's how it is.

Slash is as honest as possible regarding GnR.

• Like 2