The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

3 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

I get what you’re trying to do here, but it’s really pointless to engage with people who are lapping at Axl’s nuts. It’s like trying to get a MAGA chump to act like a human being with compassion for others. 

Yeah, it is not really worth it. 

The suggestion that the band could carry on without Slash did get me though- can you imagine?! 

"You wanted 2024 GNR? Well they couldn't make it! So here's what you get instead......from the fevered dreams of the GNR forums.....it's 2012 GNR!" 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

Never doubted that, but if Slash doesn't like something and puts his foot down, Axl's in a real pickle, that's what I'm saying. 

Just in case - please don't put me in any boxes here. If anything, I agree with 99% what Allwaystired writes on this forum...

Oh yeah, they'd be done. But then I imagine, he wants a nice easy life and a lucrative touring job.....so, he's probably highly unlikely to put his foot down, just in case.  

As it stands, everyone involved seems to be happy, and everyone involved is making a lot of money. As long as that continues I can't see any boats being rocked at all, from any party. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

I could lose my arms and legs and eyes and ears and tongue and still survive. Doesn't mean I'd want to. If slash leaves GnR the band is done. Axl isn't going from playing stadiums with slash earning $5m per show to barely breaking even playing club shows in his 60s with hired hands. It was completely different in the 90s. 

Of course Axl might not want to do it. Who knows? But if he wanted to continue touring, he could do so even without Slash.

But again, this isn't only about touring. He could easily stop touring (because he'd have to scale down the production or because he felt he couldn't deliver high enough quality or because he wanted to relax more) and still release music.

Again, this notion that there is no other alternative for Axl if Slash was to leave then to end Guns N' Roses, doesn't take into account the unpredictability of Axl or the fact that if he wanted to, he could keep it going, both in terms of touring or releasing music. 

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Nothing 'weird and unusual' about it in the slightest. 

A partner can also be an employee, depending on what setup they have. And we don't know what setup they do have. 

https://www.foxwilliams.com/2017/02/28/status-symbols-what-factors-will-decide-whether-your-partners-are-employees/

What this article is referring to, though, are arrangements that are for the benefit of the partner (certain additional benefits a partner has from having the employee status, like compensation etc.). Doesn't have to do with the partner having less rights.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Guns N' Roses survived Slash quitting in the 90s and would survive Slash leaving now, too.

Did it though? I mean, sure, an entity called 'Guns N' Roses' existed, but it was a laughing stock to most of the world, it fell out of the mainstream overnight, nobody knew who was in the band besides Axl, they played much smaller venues, and struggled to release one album.

Album point aside, the second Slash returned, they were playing stadiums, headlining festivals (including probably the three biggest ones on the planet), and most people (not counting the diehard fans) spoke about how the band was "back" or "back together" even though it never went away or broke up.

To say the band survived Slash's departure is just a technicality. Slash leaving was catastrophic for the band then, and it ceased to be 'Guns N' Roses' at that point. And since it's no longer a mainstream act that's regularly working on/regularly releasing music, it would be catastrophic if it were to happen again.

The band would end.

---

In an entirely unreleated point (to save me double posting), why do some people here seem surprised that the b(r)and is more of a business than an actual band these days? 😂 Name a big band that isn't run that way. They're huge, serious things, they aren't rehearsing in garages and playing bars in return for a few beers anymore 😂

Edited by DoMw94
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah, it is not really worth it. 

The suggestion that the band could carry on without Slash did get me though- can you imagine?! 

"You wanted 2024 GNR? Well they couldn't make it! So here's what you get instead......from the fevered dreams of the GNR forums.....it's 2012 GNR!" 

But, but, they could get Buckethead back and release the ultimate CD leftovers and tour the world again!

in bowling alleys…

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

What this article is referring to, though, are arrangements that are for the benefit of the partner (certain additional benefits a partner has from having the employee status, like compensation etc.). Doesn't have to do with the partner having less rights.

And furthermore it doesn’t mean GNR is led that way just because examples like this exists. We have no information on how the big three are running this brand at the moment.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Perhaps was well thought out lyrically for the first verse. the problem is they just repeated it and that seemed lazy. 

I agree. He's obviously the most important member of the band and when it comes to touring I don't think GnR survive if slash says he's out. However, when it comes to any actual decisions, such as songwriting, song releasing, band promotion and what the band can and can't say, he is clearly just as important as a stage tech. Axl decides and dictates all of that. Slash knows his importance is to the live show and the band image, and that is where he is making 99.99% of his cash from being in GnR, so he doesn't really care about the other stuff. Axl obviously really does care about the other stuff (well 'care' perhaps isn't the word) so he is in control of that. Hence we get regular touring and irregular releases. Slash has all the power when it comes to £££ for touring. And he has absolutely zero when it comes to new music. 

Even the new songs with slash on, no one has really given a shit. The argument could be that is because it wasn't in support of an album, and it came too late, no marketing campaign and had the wrong lead single etc even half of the people here say they'd prefer the versions with bucket and finck. So Slash knows where he matters and he knows where he doesnt. I imagine Axl probably does too

You don’t really believe Axl told Slash what to play on those leftovers. Duff and Slash erased all existing bass and guitar tracks and contributed their own parts on songs that most likely wouldn’t have been released by now, if it weren’t for those two. Slash can’t force Axl to go into a studio or write new material but I really think they’re way more involved in every other process and in decision making than a lot of people here might think

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

There are legal documents affirming that they're partners. Also, for what it's worth (or not), Fernando has also referred to them as partners. So, what we know for certain, is that they're not employees ("well paid" or not), officially and legally.

The details we don't know are the terms and conditions of the current partnership, e.g. whether it's a continuation/amendment of the 1992 partnership or there are different stipulations regarding touring, merchandise, releases, etc.

Yes...and whatever it is...probably one of the big sticking points was not going back to how it was when they left....so returning more as an equal probably was a huge aspect of getting back together...

20 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

You don’t really believe Axl told Slash what to play on those leftovers. Duff and Slash erased all existing bass and guitar tracks and contributed their own parts on songs that most likely wouldn’t have been released by now, if it weren’t for those two. Slash can’t force Axl to go into a studio or write new material but I really think they’re way more involved in every other process and in decision making than a lot of people here might think

Yes....while not perfect, look we got superdeluxes of Appetite and Illusions...would never of happened pre-'16

• Like 2

@allwaystiredis right...if Slash Is gone again, GNR Is dead, no matter if Axl brings a new group of freaks, like those of 2002. For the 99.999% of the planet, GNR Is Axl AND Slash....Duff Is just an appendix.

Is my hope that Slash has enough leverage that can ask for New music if they want to tour again...

Edited by Georgina Arriaga
  • Like 2

Are people forgetting that it was Slash and Duff who asked what Chinese Democracy songs Axl wanted to do, and Axl who suggested they do Slither?

It's pretty obvious that there's a lot more collaboration between the three these days. Axl wouldn't have dictated anything, he would've brought the songs to the table and if/how they proceded would've been a conscious collaborative effort

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Did it though?

Did the band survive Slash leaving in 1996? Err, yes? They continued on, released a record with new material, and did 351 shows all over the world. Did they do as well as back in the 90s or tour as successfully as after Slash and Duff rejoined the band? Of course not. But the continued to exist as a band, they survived. 

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Yes...and whatever it is...probably one of the big sticking points was not going back to how it was when they left....so returning more as an equal probably was a huge aspect of getting back together...

Yes....while not perfect, look we got superdeluxes of Appetite and Illusions...would never of happened pre-'16

I imagine that any financial discussions regarding the reunion began with the old partnership between the three. That would be easier than trying to start negotiations all over again from scratch. 

And yes, the reunion has given us the pretty awesome box sets. The Ritz Blu Ray is my favorite GnR release since the Illusions came out. 

• Like 2

To say the band survived Slash's departure is just a technicality. 

Well, it is a technicality in the way that it is the meaning of the word to survive :D

Slash leaving was catastrophic for the band then, and it ceased to be 'Guns N' Roses' at that point.

Still, the band continued on, released new music and did 351 gigs. 

It seems like people here think that to survive or to die is not a binary thing.

35 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

@allwaystiredis right...if Slash Is gone again, GNR Is dead

Only insomuch as the band was dead after Slash left in 1996. And a band that releases music and tours isn't really dead by any rational definition of the word. It takes a special kind of fanboy to argue that a band that does 351 shows has died and ceased to be. What I think they mean is that the band died to them when an important member of the band left. But one should be able to distinguish between these two things. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Axl would continue touring if Slash was to leave, but I do think he would continue releasing CD era music and thus keep the band active in that sense. And if he were to continue touring, and Axl often surprises me, I am sure he could put a new lineup together and do it with moderate success as was the case with nuGuns, unless he isn't capable anymore.

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Well, it is a technicality in the way that it is the meaning of the word to survive :D

It was brain dead and plugged into a life support machine...

It seems like people here think that to survive or to die is not a binary thing.

Well sure, it isn't generally speaking, but GN'R changed so much that the band might as well have been considered dead. As I said, many thought it was – people saw Slash's return as the band returning even though it never fully went away. It went from being the biggest band on the planet with multiple recognisable members to a laughing stock* overnight – it was the same in name only.

* not my view, just the general consensus from the wider public. I liked the band that played from 2001-2014, but it was hardly the same as the thing that preceded it

Did the band survive Slash leaving in 1996? Err, yes? They continued on, released a record with new material, and did 351 shows all over the world. Did they do as well as back in the 90s or tour as successfully as after Slash and Duff rejoined the band? Of course not. But the continued to exist as a band, they survived. 

Nice job cutting out the rest of my post that explained what I meant by that 😂 Instead of cherry picking lines to fit your point, look at the answer as a whole.

I wouldn't call losing all of your members, being ridiculed into hiding, and struggling to get one album out "survival". It was a fresh start, an entirely new, different thing that coincidentally had the same name

Edited by DoMw94
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

@allwaystiredis right...if Slash Is gone again, GNR Is dead, no matter if Axl brings a new group of freaks, like those of 2002. For the 99.999% of the planet, GNR Is Axl AND Slash....Duff Is just an appendix.

Is my hope that Slash has enough leverage that can ask for New music if they want to tour again...

He might be right with that, but saying Slash is just an employee is simply and factually wrong.

1 hour ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

@allwaystiredправ... если Слэша больше нет, то GNR мертвы, независимо от того, приведет ли Эксл новую группу уродов, подобных тем, что были в 2002 году. Для 99,999% населения планеты GNR - это Эксл И Слэш....Дафф - это просто аппендикс.

Я надеюсь, что у Слэша будет достаточно рычагов, чтобы попросить новую музыку, если они захотят снова отправиться в турне...

90% of the success of a song is the song itself, not the style of the hat and the curls underneath. GNR won't die without Slash if Axl records a smash hit with another guitarist. 

9 minutes ago, lunastar said:

90% of the success of a song is the song itself, not the style of the hat and the curls underneath. GNR won't die without Slash if Axl records a smash hit with another guitarist. 

But Axl never has. CD was fine, but there were no big hits.

What Axl can do however, is take Slash and Duff songs to another level... and together they could release something great.

If they break up again GNR is done.

• Like 2

What's with all the sudden talking of Slash leaving and hypothesis of a Slashless future....have I missed a titbit from a recent interview or something? I think Slash seems content, he is able to do his SMKC AND solo album work as well as GNR, GNR aren't putting much out but there's something which is better than nothing...why would he leave? GNR if not the most creative of his endeavours,.it's certainly the one that brings home the bacon...