The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

12 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Well, congratulations. If that’s the definition of hit, then it’s even worse that Axl had only one single hit in the past 30 years… doesn’t affect the idea of my initial post.

I don't like having to do all this research, but it's great when it proves you to be even more off base. Going one further, Perhaps charted on billboard no 24. Hardskool was no 9. Better was no 18

These are all billboard chart positions which is all you count. There was also only 1 official single from Chinese too (this might not be accurate but that's what it says).

Anyway... I'm not defending Axls lack of output. Just saying your initial post wasn't really accurate.

14 hours ago, DannyVinyard said:

Who chose the singles for Chinese Democracy? Was it Axl or the record company? I'm thinking record company since they forced the album out and zero support from Axl. Whoever chose the singles didn't do the album justice. The megahit that should have been is There Was a Time, which IMO is the best song on the album and one of the best songs of all time. How this epic song was not released as a single baffles me. It's so much better than the title track. Imagine the traction it would have gained (along with the album) if Axl released TWAT as first single along with epic UYI style music video.  Street of Dreams would have been a hit, maybe megahit, too. Oh well, two amazing songs that nobody knows about. 

I don't think there was a megahit on Chinese. But the right push behind Better, Chinese and they could have done a bit more than they did. 

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't like having to do all this research, but it's great when it proves you to be even more off base. Going one further, Perhaps charted on billboard no 24. Hardskool was no 9. Better was no 18

These are all billboard chart positions which is all you count. There was also only 1 official single from Chinese too (this might not be accurate but that's what it says).

Anyway... I'm not defending Axls lack of output. Just saying your initial post wasn't really accurate.

I don't think there was a megahit on Chinese. But the right push behind Better, Chinese and they could have done a bit more than they did. 

I still disagree that one of these songs can be considered a hit. 

• Like 1

The title cut was a bad choice for the first single for the 2008 album. Better, IMO was the obvious best choice. TWAT, while amazing, doesn't strike me as radio friendly. My second favorite song off that album is This I Love, which I also don't think is radio friendly. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sweersa said:

The title cut was a bad choice for the first single for the 2008 album. Better, IMO was the obvious best choice. TWAT, while amazing, doesn't strike me as radio friendly. My second favorite song off that album is This I Love, which I also don't think is radio friendly. 

IRS would have done fine.

• GNFNR 1

6 hours ago, Lethalis said:

IRS would have done fine.

While it's one of my least favorite tracks on the 2008 album, I would say it's radio friendly. My ex-girlfriend also liked IRS. (And she didn't really care for Axl's voice)

14 hours ago, allwaystired said:

What happened to that fist fight that was going to happen? @JimiRose, do you remember? 

I'm keen to see it. This summer hopefully? 

I can't remember who that was with, I think we came to an amicable agreement, but hell it'd give me something to train for, gym motivation is always tough!

• Haha 1

On 3/31/2024 at 11:12 AM, JimiRose said:

I can't remember who that was with, I think we came to an amicable agreement, but hell it'd give me something to train for, gym motivation is always tough!

Went to see Slash this week and me and a friend were discussing it and how much fun it would be! Sadly I can't remember who it was either......

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2024 at 3:33 PM, Sweersa said:

I think if TWAT was cut down for a radio version similar to the length of the demo version, it would’ve done great 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Appetitefordiscussion said:

I think if TWAT was cut down for a radio version similar to the length of the demo version, it would’ve done great 

I agree. In fact I remember playing TWAT (one of the early demos, with Buckethead solo) and the repeating intro beat in the beginning pulls you in. They really fucked up and overdid the intro to the album version, and even in later leaks. 

On 3/30/2024 at 7:33 AM, Sweersa said:

If you judge by current streams This I Love would have been the best first single.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, vloors said:

If you judge by current streams This I Love would have been the best first single.

I don't think streams and radio are a apples to apples comparison. I agree with most that Better would have been the best lead single. It's catchy.

8 hours ago, jamillos said:

IMO Better would have been the best single music-wise. IF it had a video released, IF there had been a promotion, and IF there had been an immediate tour. Of course, none of that happened. 

The way I see it, “What If” has been the story of GnR since Lies 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, El Guapo said:

What about the Illusions?  

Steven was fired, changing the sound

Axl took over some production duties and added a bunch of worthless overdubs 

Izzy left during the tour 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

This thread is going so bad that people didn't even had any jokes on April 1st.

Wonder if the release of ‘The General’ was closure for a lot of people? Certainly felt that way for me, especially with the ‘Monsters’ leak, feels like this part of my life has got that closure. Anything from here on out is a bonus but I no longer have any expectations or clamour.

• Like 2
  • PERHAPS 1

56 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

Wonder if the release of ‘The General’ was closure for a lot of people? Certainly felt that way for me, especially with the ‘Monsters’ leak, feels like this part of my life has got that closure. Anything from here on out is a bonus but I no longer have any expectations or clamour.

Nah because what we thought was The General was Monsters all along, and a lot of the hype was connected with the particular tune, whether the initial quality or the later cool remix. So until "Monsters" gets released... 

32 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Nah because what we thought was The General was Monsters all along, and a lot of the hype was connected with the particular tune, whether the initial quality or the later cool remix. So until "Monsters" gets released... 

Thats the one I want too.  its 10 times better IMO

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

I think we all realize that, wirh these 4 singles, Guns N Roses is officially dead as a band that purs out quality music.  2 of the 4 songs are embarrassingly bad.

Also, the band has been ruinited since 2016- 8 YEARS and there isn't even a hint of the reunited group creating a single song.

Put a fork in them...they are DONE!

Those 4 songs was their funeral procrssion

Edited by Illusion1987