The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

8 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

What's with all the sudden talking of Slash leaving and hypothesis of a Slashless future....have I missed a titbit from a recent interview or something? I think Slash seems content, he is able to do his SMKC AND solo album work as well as GNR, GNR aren't putting much out but there's something which is better than nothing...why would he leave? GNR if not the most creative of his endeavours,.it's certainly the one that brings home the bacon...

As usual - dead season, hiatus, i.e. any tangent will do... 

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It doesn't matter what people thought of Slash leaving or whether the band "might as well be dead". A band that releases music and tours simply isn't dead. It isn't :lol: Just because people didn't like it doesn't mean that it ceased to exist. People can't will away the existence of a bandor anything else. They can't cover their ears and eyes and go, "nananannanana!" and think the Guns N' Roses was dead and gone simply because they were more comfortable with that thought. It wasn't dead. It wasn't gone. The band released one new album and did more than 300 shows in that period. Yes, it was far from as popular as with the UYI lineup; yes, the band was periodically laughed at; yes, many fans of Slash got whiny about it and lost interest; yes, it was a crazy circus at times. But no, the band didn't end, the band didn't fold, the band didn't stop activity, the band survived - through all of this. And that's really the definition of surviving, to get through hard times without ending. Which is exactly what the band did. So when people claim the band didn't survive Slash leaving I can't help from laughing. 

really kept the bond between Axl and Dizzy Reed throughout while someone was on stage doing a nunchuk dance as part of his solo spot but without Slash (and Duff) it died, then came back to life and what was in between was only Gn'R on paper.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rovim said:

really kept the bond between Axl and Dizzy Reed throughout while someone was on stage doing a nunchuk dance as part of his solo spot but without Slash (and Duff) it died, then came back to life and what was in between was only Gn'R on paper.

It is not only on paper when they are out touring and releasing music. "Only on paper" would be if the band was dormant.

16 hours ago, Free Bird said:

You don’t really believe Axl told Slash what to play on those leftovers. Duff and Slash erased all existing bass and guitar tracks and contributed their own parts on songs that most likely wouldn’t have been released by now, if it weren’t for those two. Slash can’t force Axl to go into a studio or write new material but I really think they’re way more involved in every other process and in decision making than a lot of people here might think

I don't believe Axl told them what to play no, but there's only so much they can do with it, the vocals, keyboards, drums are the same and they probably heard the original versions and did their own versions. I think they have autonomy over their parts, but theres not too much they can do to already completed songs creatively. How duff lays down the bass lines is going to be very similar to tommys, otherwise he'd be playing the wrong notes. Tone and style are obv the big differences. 

18 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Again, this notion that there is no other alternative for Axl if Slash was to leave then to end Guns N' Roses, doesn't take into account the unpredictability of Axl or the fact that if he wanted to, he could keep it going, both in terms of touring or releasing music. 

the alternative is just axl does solo stuff. I don't think I'd call Axl unpredictable. Not since about 2012. the past 12 years, you can almost predict his tweets, his setlists, his stage moves, his lack of album release etc. He's very predictable as an artist now. The hot head trying to take on the world died after rock in rio 2011

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You predicted him reuniting with Slash? You predicted him fronting AC/DC? You predicted him suggesting to cover Slither? You predicted him reworking Silkworms into Absurd and releasing it as the first single after Slash rejoined GN'R? 

you know... Quasimodo predicted all this

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You predicted him reuniting with Slash? You predicted him fronting AC/DC? You predicted him suggesting to cover Slither? You predicted him reworking Silkworms into Absurd and releasing it as the first single after Slash rejoined GN'R? 

Yes. It was inevitable Axl and Slash would reunite. 

No, I didnt predict him fronting ACDC but I wouldn't call that something wild, it made a lot of sense and it was great. to predict this i would have to have known brian johnson was going deaf. Once he did, and ACDC announced they were going to carry on, yes i hoped axl would do it, and once I knew he was interested I 100% expected it. They weren't going to give it to a south american tribute singer over Axl fuckin rose were they?

Hmmm, maybe. I hoped they would do a couple VR songs, but I cannot say i expected it no, however is covering a hit song by your 2 bandmates a 'unpredictable' crazy move?

Yes, I knew he wanted to release silkworms and that if there was ever a new album it would be on it, no I did not predict it would be the first single because that was a terrible dreadful decision to make. 

Overall I wouldn't call any of these things that wild or crazy or rockstar or axl circa 85-2010. Playing a song live after touring for 8 years straight isn't making me question the existence of humanity. he's a predictable guy. 

Edited by JimiRose

7 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Yes. It was inevitable Axl and Slash would reunite. 

No, I didnt predict him fronting ACDC but I wouldn't call that something wild, it made a lot of sense and it was great. to predict this i would have to have known brian johnson was going deaf. Once he did, and ACDC announced they were going to carry on, yes i hoped axl would do it, and once I knew he was interested I 100% expected it. They weren't going to give it to a south american tribute singer over Axl fuckin rose were they?

Hmmm, maybe. I hoped they would do a couple VR songs, but I cannot say i expected it no, however is covering a hit song by your 2 bandmates a 'unpredictable' crazy move?

Yes, I knew he wanted to release silkworms and that if there was ever a new album it would be on it, no I did not predict it would be the first single because that was a terrible dreadful decision to make. 

Overall I wouldn't call any of these things that wild or crazy or rockstar or axl circa 85-2010. Playing a song live after touring for 8 years straight isn't making me question the existence of humanity. he's a predictable guy. 

I never used the words "wild" or "crazy", I said he is unpredictable. 

7 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Facts are always going to win against opinions

It really doesn’t matter why, but there is no hit song. Period.

Well after some digging it appears you are dead wrong😄 The song Chinese democracy actually performed on mmfew worldwide charts No 5 on American main stream rock chart. Top 10 song in Canada, top 30 in the UK. Finland, Norway, Sweden etc. were all top 10 too. And there's more countries if you care to scour through that info.

There was no megahit and today almost nobody remembers...but nonetheless a hit is a hit. I rest my case.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Well they can technically replace him but what I meant is that you can't escape his shadow. I liked a lot of those guys either on stage or in the studio but that's not the popular opinion, most still say "it took 3 guitar players to replace Slash". Idiots of course😄 

Slash is iconic, I get it. :) Abilities don't necessarily make icons. 

10 hours ago, DTV88 said:

Not one of those guys was ever THE lead guitarist for a single concert with Guns, so @Tom2112 is correct. You listed two rhythm guitarists, and then four who were co-leads. 

That's because Guns had multiple leads. They do today as well, and did back in the day as well. Izzy and Fortus play lead some of the time. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Well after some digging it appears you are dead wrong😄 The song Chinese democracy actually performed on mmfew worldwide charts No 5 on American main stream rock chart. Top 10 song in Canada, top 30 in the UK. Finland, Norway, Sweden etc. were all top 10 too. And there's more countries if you care to scour through that info.

There was no megahit and today almost nobody remembers...but nonetheless a hit is a hit. I rest my case.

A single appearing in the charts doesn’t make it a hit really. If it’s billboard charts maybe but nothing niche-like… and even when… Axl Rose the hit single monster had one „hit“ in the last 30 years? Lmfao

but honestly, I know you’re just joking😄

you are joking, right?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Slash is iconic, I get it. :) Abilities don't necessarily make icons. 

That's because Guns had multiple leads. They do today as well, and did back in the day as well. Izzy and Fortus play lead some of the time. 

What songs on any Guns record has Fortus played lead on?

8 hours ago, Free Bird said:

A single appearing in the charts doesn’t make it a hit really. If it’s billboard charts maybe but nothing niche-like… and even when… Axl Rose the hit single monster had one „hit“ in the last 30 years? Lmfao

but honestly, I know you’re just joking😄

you are joking, right?

Well charting in itself is a hit but I was also kind of joking... But not joking. It is a fact that when you get into the top ten even if it's not in the great old USA it's counted as a hit... At least since the beginning of modern music history. I mean we can say the goal posts have moved now, but this was what it was.

Not a song that was on regular circulation like Taylor swift or dua lipa but it was popular enough to get onto playlists and that means it was at least a lower level hit. Nonetheless a hit is a hit.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Well charting in itself is a hit but I was also kind of joking... But not joking. It is a fact that when you get into the top ten even if it's not in the great old USA it's counted as a hit... At least since the beginning of modern music history. I mean we can say the goal posts have moved now, but this was what it was.

Not a song that was on regular circulation like Taylor swift or dua lipa but it was popular enough to get onto playlists and that means it was at least a lower level hit. Nonetheless a hit is a hit.

Who chose the singles for Chinese Democracy? Was it Axl or the record company? I'm thinking record company since they forced the album out and zero support from Axl. Whoever chose the singles didn't do the album justice. The megahit that should have been is There Was a Time, which IMO is the best song on the album and one of the best songs of all time. How this epic song was not released as a single baffles me. It's so much better than the title track. Imagine the traction it would have gained (along with the album) if Axl released TWAT as first single along with epic UYI style music video.  Street of Dreams would have been a hit, maybe megahit, too. Oh well, two amazing songs that nobody knows about. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Well, congratulations. If that’s the definition of hit, then it’s even worse that Axl had only one single hit in the past 30 years… doesn’t affect the idea of my initial post.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, We love Axl Rose said:

@EvanG most of time you look so confused reading this thread, I'm starting to worry about you. :lol:

To be fair, I also throw quite a few “like” emoticons around when I read this forum but I usually save them for the more sensible posts, but that is getting more and more rare.

:blink::blink::blink:

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1