The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

"This will serve as notice [that] effective [...] Decemeber 30th 1995, I will withdraw from the partnership. [...] I intend to use the name 'Guns N' Roses' in connection with a new group which I will form." (Slash & Duff v. Axl lawsuit document, 2004)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

It’s so fuckin sad reading this.

In an alternate timeline, we got 2000 intentions and another record or two after that.

This band fucked itself royally in the ass

At this point, I totally believe what they've said, that before some concert, Axl refused to go on stage unless Slash and Duff signed paperwork giving him complete ownership.  Doesn't matter if they could sue, they'd have to want to sue to make a difference, and they were just willing to walk away.

"He (Slash) has been 'OFFICIALLY and LEGALLY' outside of the Guns N' Roses Partnership since December 31, 1995." (Axl, 10/30/96)

If Slash and Duff have their co-ownership status back, they can release a new Guns'n'Roses song any time they want.  If Axl's the only one who can approve that, he's in charge and they're just employees.

I think that we'll go on to write some very interesting things with Richard and he's already done some rhythm work and some leads on the album, [...] but it's time to stop [adding new songs] now and wrap up the baby.." (Axl, GNROnline, 08/15/02)

"It feels right, the timing, and a lot of things. We've sorted it down to what songs are on the record. What the sequence of the songs is. The album cover art is ready. Blah, blah, blah. If you're waiting...don't. [...] Now that we feel that we have clarity as to the album we're trying to make, we're wrapping it up.'" (Axl, GNROnline, 08/15/02)

This is a collaborative effort with the players, but the players aren't exactly sure what it should be to try to win over the world Guns N' Roses style. So that's kind of my responsibility. It took a long time, but now it's working, and I think we'll have the right record, and when we do drop the record, the plan is to drop the record, have a bunch of extra tracks, about a year or so down the road drop another record and drop a third record. This is a three-stage thing and we'll be touring for a real long time." (Axl, WRIF, 11/21/02)

W. Axl Rose is concerned that not only will their audience be misled into believing that the planned compilation is an authorized release, but that it will hinder the release of the band's long awaited new studio album Chinese Democracy." (Sanctuary Group, press release, 03/15/04)

"Rather than dwelling on the negative, Guns will be moving forward and surprisingly (without giving away any details) this unfortunate set of circumstances may have given us the opportunity to take our recording that one extra step further. [...] We greatly appreciate Bucket's contributions and remain open to "discussions" as there are obviously several issues to resolve." (Axl, press release, 03/30/04)

39 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

At this point, I totally believe what they've said, that before some concert, Axl refused to go on stage unless Slash and Duff signed paperwork giving him complete ownership.  Doesn't matter if they could sue, they'd have to want to sue to make a difference, and they were just willing to walk away.

"He (Slash) has been 'OFFICIALLY and LEGALLY' outside of the Guns N' Roses Partnership since December 31, 1995." (Axl, 10/30/96)

If Slash and Duff have their co-ownership status back, they can release a new Guns'n'Roses song any time they want.  If Axl's the only one who can approve that, he's in charge and they're just employees.

Of course they can. 
Confirmed: Next GNR record will be instrumentals only 😂

46 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

I think that we'll go on to write some very interesting things with Richard and he's already done some rhythm work and some leads on the album, [...] but it's time to stop [adding new songs] now and wrap up the baby.." (Axl, GNROnline, 08/15/02)

"It feels right, the timing, and a lot of things. We've sorted it down to what songs are on the record. What the sequence of the songs is. The album cover art is ready. Blah, blah, blah. If you're waiting...don't. [...] Now that we feel that we have clarity as to the album we're trying to make, we're wrapping it up.'" (Axl, GNROnline, 08/15/02)

This is a collaborative effort with the players, but the players aren't exactly sure what it should be to try to win over the world Guns N' Roses style. So that's kind of my responsibility. It took a long time, but now it's working, and I think we'll have the right record, and when we do drop the record, the plan is to drop the record, have a bunch of extra tracks, about a year or so down the road drop another record and drop a third record. This is a three-stage thing and we'll be touring for a real long time." (Axl, WRIF, 11/21/02)

W. Axl Rose is concerned that not only will their audience be misled into believing that the planned compilation is an authorized release, but that it will hinder the release of the band's long awaited new studio album Chinese Democracy." (Sanctuary Group, press release, 03/15/04)

"Rather than dwelling on the negative, Guns will be moving forward and surprisingly (without giving away any details) this unfortunate set of circumstances may have given us the opportunity to take our recording that one extra step further. [...] We greatly appreciate Bucket's contributions and remain open to "discussions" as there are obviously several issues to resolve." (Axl, press release, 03/30/04)

Axl lost track of time, now he doesn't promise anything, he just releases the singles, ,maybe the extrra tracks or parts of CD ll. 

Edited by Rovim
  • Haha 2

Do we think at this point, Slash has done the majority of his job, regarding the "next" GNR album? As in, the rate he works at, I'm sure he's recorded a few albums worth of songs banked for that (if it ever comes) day....now obviously it be nice to make it all together organically but TBH, not too dissimilar to the band members all going away and turning up with their contributions UYI style....so I imagine, Slash is desperate for Axl to give the green light or collaborate but I do get a good vibe and tone of Slash's responses to LP questions and while of course if he knew it wasnt coming, he may still be vague BUT there's a certain tone to the answer he often gives that always sounds knowingly optimistic...yet slightly frustrated...Everything has been fairly accurate, albeit in John Woo slow-mo...so Slash will fully be expecting to record stuff whenever he gets going woth Guns again and if bes not, he'll be wrong and disappointed....as he did say at least twice, specifically this was "the plan"

So I wouldn't be surprised if the band had banked a few dozen demo riffs/song outlines and that Axl has at the very least listened to them and given feedback or put away for a rainy day! Thoughts?

1 hour ago, ChrisW said:

Well....that bit was accurate 

3 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Huh? There are some great lyrics in CD ...

You misunderstand me. I mean the lyrics on CD were fleshed out and feel complete, unlike the recent singles I listed. 

9 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Do we think at this point, Slash has done the majority of his job, regarding the "next" GNR album? As in, the rate he works at, I'm sure he's recorded a few albums worth of songs banked for that (if it ever comes) day....now obviously it be nice to make it all together organically but TBH, not too dissimilar to the band members all going away and turning up with their contributions UYI style....so I imagine, Slash is desperate for Axl to give the green light or collaborate but I do get a good vibe and tone of Slash's responses to LP questions and while of course if he knew it wasnt coming, he may still be vague BUT there's a certain tone to the answer he often gives that always sounds knowingly optimistic...yet slightly frustrated...Everything has been fairly accurate, albeit in John Woo slow-mo...so Slash will fully be expecting to record stuff whenever he gets going woth Guns again and if bes not, he'll be wrong and disappointed....as he did say at least twice, specifically this was "the plan"

So I wouldn't be surprised if the band had banked a few dozen demo riffs/song outlines and that Axl has at the very least listened to them and given feedback or put away for a rainy day! Thoughts?

Well....that bit was accurate 

If the "next album" is just a compilation of spruced up CD2 songs, it is safe to say Slash has been done with his contributions since around 2019

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

If the "next album" is just a compilation of spruced up CD2 songs, it is safe to say Slash has been done with his contributions since around 2019

Well not exactly....I don't think the quotes of material completed were an albums worth they had done...in past 2/3 years perhaps they have done some more though...

9 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Well not exactly....I don't think the quotes of material completed were an albums worth they had done...in past 2/3 years perhaps they have done some more though...

Absurd, Hard Skool, Perhaps, and The General. Plus Monsters will come. I don't think it is that crazy to assume they did 3-5 more to make a short LP's worth. I can see them slapping them together with a cover and selling them as a 12 inch record through their online store. I'd definitely buy it, Shit, you could even throw on some live tracks which they already did with the Hard Skool singles (Absurd and Shadow of Your Love and even Don't Cry and You're Crazy with the CD, right?)

Edited by ZoSoRose

2 hours ago, gavgnr said:

It’s so fuckin sad reading this.

In an alternate timeline, we got 2000 intentions and another record or two after that.

This band fucked itself royally in the ass

It's not a whole lot different now, difference being they are touring consistently and getting on personally. If they want to just be a touring act then fine. They don't really have enough material to do it justice, but they are still going to sell a boat load of tickets whenever they announce the next dates. 

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

Absurd, Hard Skool, Perhaps, and The General. Plus Monsters will come. I don't think it is that crazy to assume they did 3-5 more to make a short LP's worth. I can see them slapping them together with a cover and selling them as a 12 inch record through their online store. I'd definitely buy it, Shit, you could even throw on some live tracks which they already did with the Hard Skool singles (Absurd and Shadow of Your Love and even Don't Cry and You're Crazy with the CD, right?)

Most realistic new album for sure!

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah I think he'd probably putting pressure on (same with Duff) but it doesn't seem to have much impact. 

My view on it is Slash is very much an employee, but one which the company knows is valuable and couldn't lose. Fortus is an employee too but more expendable. 

That's just the way it appears to me -it's the Axl brand and show all the way. 

We have this regarding the current official business status of the band:

GNR is a musical group and partnership organized and existing under the laws of the state of California with their principle place of business in Los Angeles, California. GNR’s general partners are W. Axl Rose (“Axl Rose”), Saul Hudson, pka Slash, and Michael McKagan.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t8330-2019-05-09-gn-r-vs-canarchy-craft-brewery-lawsuit-document-related-articles

We also know that Slash and Duff have their own separate management.

• Like 2

Gimme Guns N' Roses: The Album. The Guns side has new stuff, the Rose(s) side has Axl's CD rejects. Sail off into the distance, poetically having a self-titled album as their final album, etc etc.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

GNR is a musical group and partnership organized and existing under the laws of the state of California with their principle place of business in Los Angeles, California. GNR’s general partners are W. Axl Rose (“Axl Rose”), Saul Hudson, pka Slash, and Michael McKagan.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t8330-2019-05-09-gn-r-vs-canarchy-craft-brewery-lawsuit-document-related-articles

And two of the partners don’t care if one of the partners wants to release old songs, so why would they unnecessarily rock the boat?

It is easier to avoid songwriting and recording, mentioning current GNR affairs in media, and accepting the CD era and why shouldn’t they? The band is basically a business partnership at this point. Getting along for the good of the brand only benefits fans and their legacy. 

I wish there was more new music, but that is an Axl- thing and not a GNR- thing. We didn’t get a thing (aside from the live video and album) from 2009- 2014.

They aren’t abundant, but at least we have gotten some great releases out of the current era,

Sound City Sessions

Ritz 1991 live album and video

Last Vegas 1992 live album

Shadow of Your Love

Four redone CD leftovers (with more on the way)

Shit, I’ll take it. There’s some good stuff up there. Hoping for more live shows and CD leftovers. If that is the best we get, I’m okay with it. 

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

What you state is something I could get on board with

...and we've discussed a few times over the last year or so....hoping they put some kinda product out to match what we would be satisfied with, one of these days 🤞

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChrisW said:

It's kinda just power in writing rather than power to actually get things done though.

They are partners in the way they were at the end of UYI. They can't get Axl to work if he doesn't want to and they can't release under the gnr name without his agreement. But they earn good money and have a louder voice than the remainder of the band.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

If they're partners in the business then that obviously does put them above Fortus.....but there's no way they're equal partners. 

It's the Axl show all the way -as it has been since the 90s really. I don't see it as a 'band' structure at all, in the way that other bands are. 

I'm desperate for someone to write a real 'tell all' book about how this band operates! I can't see it happening really, but sort of hopeful Kat might do something at some point about life on the road and stuff.....although legal stuff will probably stop it. 

• Like 1

Judging by what has happened over the years of quasi-reunion in terms of creative realization, nothing has happened globally. And this suggests that Axl is not the main one here. In an interview in 95-96, he said that Slash prevented him from creatively realizing himself. And we are probably in this time frame right now. In 85-86, Izzy and Axl absorbed Hanoi Rocks to create the AFD. In 95, Slash's material was rejected. In the late nineties, newly hired musicians absorbed industrial to create the CD. Probably in recent years, Slash's material has also been rejected. Maybe Axl has a musical concept in his head, but Slash, like in '95, can't implement it. 

Well, they still don't have a songwriter... 

All this partnership with dividing of loot does not kindle a creative fire. To release new material, they need a production center that will write them songs and produce them. But from what was said earlier here that their contract with Geffen is unclear, perhaps they need to pay for the release of the album out of their own pocket. And do they want to pay if the profit is already going on? Axl probably guessed that a lucrative deal to share the loot from the concerts would be a creative dead end for him. Now he is at a loss, I would even say that he is in a creative trap. On the one hand, he is dependent on the brand, and on the other, his creative vision does not coincide with Slash, as it seems to me

• ABSUЯD 1

6 hours ago, ChrisW said:

A couple of years ago, @Blackstar and I did research. We both posted on this forum. The three of them are partners. I found a legal document in the California business registry that was filed in 2017. Just a bit of background on me, part of my previous job at Bloomberg was to search for legal filings pertaining to Private Equity and Venture Capital firms regarding partnerships and funds. So I know what I'm talking about.  Additionally, @Blackstar posted the lawsuit that they filed against the brewery as partners. 

I really wish people would research things before yapping on the Internet. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ChrisW said:

"This will serve as notice [that] effective [...] Decemeber 30th 1995, I will withdraw from the partnership. [...] I intend to use the name 'Guns N' Roses' in connection with a new group which I will form." (Slash & Duff v. Axl lawsuit document, 2004)

There's ownership of the name (one of the assets) and ownership of other assets.

I don't know what the point of your pasting all of Chinese Whispers is. But if you're interested in knowing more and in more depth about this issue, and have the time and patience to read all the documents:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t8119-2008-01-18-slash-duff-vs-axl-lawsuit-document-other-related-court-documents

https://www.a-4-d.com/t8118-1995-08-31-axl-s-notice-of-resignation-from-the-guns-n-roses-partnership#33949

1 hour ago, ChrisW said:

'I don't have to do what you want and you need my permission to do what you want.'  That's not how partnership works.

Slash and Duff don't have to do what Axl wants either.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Such a kiss ass lmao

disclaimer: jokes subject: recognizing sarcasm explanation: you can't lose track of time for 30 years but my serious point I guess was that that was then and this is now. just like Axl isn't late to live Gn'R shows anymore, he also doesn't promise anything or gives release dates when it comes to new music.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lunastar said:

In an interview in 95-96, he said that Slash prevented him from creatively realizing himself

Did he really say that? Later, I think on the chats here, Axl said Slash was the reason he couldn’t do a classic hard rock record because he left and there isn’t anybody else filling these shoes, something like this.

10 hours ago, ChrisW said:

Is your point that Slash and Duff have joined this new identity and thus it is Axl's band and not a true partnership? It is a bit hard to decipher what your points are when you just cut and paste quotes without any further explanation.

Anyway, that letter from Axl is interesting. As would be litigated in court in the 2000s when Slash and Duff argued that since Axl had withdrawn he had the name but not the assets of the old partnership and hence couldn't stop them from licensing the old music out to third parties, Axl's position would be that his withdrawal from GN'R has never been fully realized (and that besides, Slash had withdrawn, too). The legal cases were dismissed by Slash, Axl and Duff themselves, presumably after some settlement outside of the court, so we don't know exactly what a court verdict would have been, but we know the practical implications: Slash and Duff stopped the legal fights against Axl but business continued as usual with very little out-licensing being done.

Much more here: AUGUST 31, 1995: AXL WITHDRAWS FROM THE PARTNERSHIP; OWNERSHIP OF "GUNS N' ROSES"

• Like 1