The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

16 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Did he really say that? Later, I think on the chats here, Axl said Slash was the reason he couldn’t do a classic hard rock record because he left and there isn’t anybody else filling these shoes, something like this.

Axl will blame everybody and everything but himself for the lack of music.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lunastar said:

90% of the success of a song is the song itself, not the style of the hat and the curls underneath. GNR won't die without Slash if Axl records a smash hit with another guitarist. 

Which of course he is known for in the last 30 years. Many many hit songs, written and recorded by Axl were released in this period of time. Sure 😂

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I only skimmed the rest of your post which was mostly based on what you want to believe and not supported by much facts. The quote above exemplifies this: "Sabotage" is quite possible a too strong word and implies ill-will on Slash's part which might not have been there, but he certainly wasn't "just trying to get something done and move on," unless you mean actually refer to record the Snakepit album and tour to support it. Again, as Slash himself has admitted, he stopped going to GN'R rehearsals. That does simply not align with someone doing all he could to move the band forward. He wasn't comfortable in GN'R at the time (for various reasons) and found happiness elsewhere, just like he did with Velvet Revolver and his solo record some years later. And there is nothing wrong with this. I am sympathetic to him feeling miserable while in GN'R, it can't be easy dealing with Axl (or his posse), but don't paint it as Slash was some valiant knight fighting to move GN'R forward. Like a husband in a miserable marriage he found himself a lover, and that mistress was Snakepit.. 

Skimming posts makes it easy to ignore anything you don't like.  You don't even point to what I "want to believe and not supported by much facts."

Slash absolutely was trying to do something.  He turned in a bunch of songs for the band to work on.  The guy who can form a new band named "Guns'n'Roses" refused to work on them.  Gilby and Matt worked on them and Duff was unavailable.  Slash also worked with other people in the mid-90s.

Then Slash was told to stop touring and go back to work on Axl's record.  Axl doesn't show up so there's no reason for Slash to show up either.  The abuser needs the victim more than the victim needs the abuser.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lunastar said:

90% of the success of a song is the song itself, not the style of the hat and the curls underneath. GNR won't die without Slash if Axl records a smash hit with another guitarist. 

'The hat and the curls underneath' took them back to playing stadiums rather than half empty halls.

As for the bit about Axl recording a smash hit with another guitarist..... let's let him start with doing one with the  current guitarist. Who happens to be one of the best in world. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Which of course he is known for in the last 30 years. Many many hit songs, written and recorded by Axl were released in this period of time. Sure 😂

I really don't think Axl was making Chinese with hit songs at the forefront of his mind, and I can't imagine he thought songs like Absurd in 2022 were going to challenge Taylor swift etc. 

songs like better with the right video and label support were hit songs in waiting. Definitely for rock radio, not sure if they made it to radio playlists or how they did though somebody else has those stats

11 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Yes. Here's a thought, would you rather see Guns N' Roses without Axl and with Slash, or with Axl and without Slash? 

If I had to choose I'm going back to Axl without Slash... But Slash is inescapable, no guitarist no matter how good can replace a guy like that.

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Did the band survive Slash leaving in 1996? Err, yes? They continued on, released a record with new material, and did 351 shows all over the world. Did they do as well as back in the 90s or tour as successfully as after Slash and Duff rejoined the band? Of course not. But the continued to exist as a band, they survived. 

The 351 shows by Nuguns are over how many years? I know very little about that era but I thought they went years without touring.

10 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I suppose my definition of an 'employee' is always someone who works for someone else.....so if they're not equal partners, they are employees really. That's the way I see it, in any business really. Probably not an accurate way of seeing it though, in the legal sense. 

I'd be amazed if it was a continuation of the 1992 agreement. Surely Slash/Duffs management could get them a better deal than that on their business negotiations? 

That's not how business works, though. My suggestion for you is to take business classes or do research. 

Here's a good example. Mike Bloomberg owns about 80% of Bloomberg LP. Bloomberg LP is a private company. Theoretically, Mike  is the ultimate decision maker. However,  there are several others who have shares that own a certain percentage of the company. These people do not have Mike as a boss. Mike formed a management committee to share the responsibility of decision making with the people who own the shares.  These people are their own bosses at the company. 

As @Blackstar mentions, we don't know how the  partnership is structured. We don't know if they went back to the 1992 partnership or something else with different percentages of ownership.  What we do know is that there was a 2017 filing in California showing that the three of them are partners in the  business entity of GNR. We also know that they were listed as partners in the lawsuit against the brewery. This confirms that Slash and Duff are not employees. They are in fact bosses. Partnerships in business does not mean that they are or can be equal partners.  They can have different percentages and structure decision making responsibilities differently. 

• Like 1

Wow! Not to change the subject, but some people really need to take business classes or learn somehow as to how a business  can be structured.  Even if you don't want to own a business, it's good knowledge to have for finding a job or maintaining your job. 

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

The 351 shows by Nuguns are over how many years? I know very little about that era but I thought they went years without touring.

2001-2014.

They didn't play a show until 2001, and then the longest period without touring was Dec. 2002 - May 2006. But they played a lot of shows from late 2009 to 2014.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Draguns said:

Wow! Not to change the subject, but some people really need to take business classes or learn somehow as to how a business  can be structured.  Even if you don't want to own a business, it's good knowledge to have for finding a job or maintaining your job. 

I took a few business classes just to increase posting quality. gotta know the business structure when discussing Gn'R we need new music.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

But Slash is inescapable, no guitarist no matter how good can replace a guy like that.

Except for Paul Tobias, Richard Fortus, Robin Finck, Buckethead, Bumblefoot, and DJ Ashba :D 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Except for Paul Tobias, Richard Fortus, Robin Finck, Buckethead, Bumblefoot, and DJ Ashba :D 

Not one of those guys was ever THE lead guitarist for a single concert with Guns, so @Tom2112 is correct. You listed two rhythm guitarists, and then four who were co-leads. 

• ABSUЯD 1

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Well they can technically replace him but what I meant is that you can't escape his shadow. I liked a lot of those guys either on stage or in the studio but that's not the popular opinion, most still say "it took 3 guitar players to replace Slash". Idiots of course😄 

7 hours ago, ChrisW said:

Slash absolutely was trying to do something.  He turned in a bunch of songs for the band to work on.  The guy who can form a new band named "Guns'n'Roses" refused to work on them.  Gilby and Matt worked on them and Duff was unavailable.  Slash also worked with other people in the mid-90s.

Yes, Slash wrote a bunch of songs and wanted them to be the basis for a new GN'R album. Axl and Duff didn't agree. Slash then, because of this but also because of other things, gradually phased out and lost interest in GN'R. As I explained. His attention shifted away from GN'R to his other projects. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I really don't think Axl was making Chinese with hit songs at the forefront of his mind, and I can't imagine he thought songs like Absurd in 2022 were going to challenge Taylor swift etc. 

songs like better with the right video and label support were hit songs in waiting. Definitely for rock radio, not sure if they made it to radio playlists or how they did though somebody else has those stats

Facts are always going to win against opinions

It really doesn’t matter why, but there is no hit song. Period.

Edited by Free Bird

5 hours ago, janrichmond said:

At your service.

It kind of depends when you put the start to nuGuns, it is not straightforward to demarcate since the dissolution of the UYI lineup happened over a few years and the formation of a new touring lineup also took some time. Duff, as the last from the UYI lineup (besides Axl and Dizzy), left in 1997; the post-UYI lineup that did the first show was fully formed in 2000 when Brain joined. This first touring lineup then started touring in 2001 and 2002, but ended spectacularly. Then it took a few years before a new lineup was back at it in 2006. From then the band toured fairly regularly (with some lineup changes) until 2014.

2001: 4
2002: 23
2003: 0
2004: 0
2005: 0
2006: 74
2007: 20
2008: 0
2009: 4
2010: 71
2011: 40
2012: 69
2013: 22
2014: 24

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

It was brain dead and plugged into a life support machine...

Well sure, it isn't generally speaking, but GN'R changed so much that the band might as well have been considered dead. As I said, many thought it was – people saw Slash's return as the band returning even though it never fully went away. It went from being the biggest band on the planet with multiple recognisable members to a laughing stock* overnight – it was the same in name only.

* not my view, just the general consensus from the wider public. I liked the band that played from 2001-2014, but it was hardly the same as the thing that preceded it

Nice job cutting out the rest of my post that explained what I meant by that 😂 Instead of cherry picking lines to fit your point, look at the answer as a whole.

I wouldn't call losing all of your members, being ridiculed into hiding, and struggling to get one album out "survival". It was a fresh start, an entirely new, different thing that coincidentally had the same name

It doesn't matter what people thought of Slash leaving or whether the band "might as well be dead". A band that releases music and tours simply isn't dead. It isn't :lol: Just because people didn't like it doesn't mean that it ceased to exist. People can't will away the existence of a bandor anything else. They can't cover their ears and eyes and go, "nananannanana!" and think the Guns N' Roses was dead and gone simply because they were more comfortable with that thought. It wasn't dead. It wasn't gone. The band released one new album and did more than 300 shows in that period. Yes, it was far from as popular as with the UYI lineup; yes, the band was periodically laughed at; yes, many fans of Slash got whiny about it and lost interest; yes, it was a crazy circus at times. But no, the band didn't end, the band didn't fold, the band didn't stop activity, the band survived - through all of this. And that's really the definition of surviving, to get through hard times without ending. Which is exactly what the band did. So when people claim the band didn't survive Slash leaving I can't help from laughing. 

• Like 1