The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Then you’d still have just a couple of new songs. I don’t care for a record which I know almost every song of, you know? The question is, when will they release Monsters, which song will be the b-side and when do they star working on something new 

Well obviously...I was meaning more from the fanmade construction side of things while we wait for them to pull the finger out (or not) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

What if Monsters is the B side to an even better song! Zodiac 13, Seven, Oklahoma, Cuban Skies, etc. :) 

I still think it will be Atlas, but monsters should be the A side. However atlas would be easier for axl live I would imagine who knows. I think we get those two and that's it though. Curly Shuffle would be nice but won't get my hopes up

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sweersa said:

What if Monsters is the B side to an even better song! Zodiac 13, Seven, Oklahoma, Cuban Skies, etc. :) 

How do you know these are better songs without having heard the final form?

But if so, great. I just can’t imagine there are better songs. Oklahoma instrumental sounds pretty cool actually 

3 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

I still think it will be Atlas, but monsters should be the A side. However atlas would be easier for axl live I would imagine who knows. I think we get those two and that's it though. Curly Shuffle would be nice but won't get my hopes up

I thought Perhaps would sound great live, but Axl proudly never rehearsed it and fucked it up each time. Monsters at least has the bridge that he'd have to prepare for... he might actually sound good on that, but then only perform it a couple times. :lol:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tboneman said:

Francis Ford Coppola is finally going to release his Megalopolis passion project that he started in 1983. So I guess there's hope for everything 😄

Difference is he never stopped working and he continued to release other films over the last 40 years.

Axl creatively on the other hand.......releasing 20+ year old scrap material tracks not good enough to put on his one album.

Edited by vloors
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Free Bird said:

How do you know these are better songs without having heard the final form?

But if so, great. I just can’t imagine there are better songs. Oklahoma instrumental sounds pretty cool actually 

I am assuming they have a few "big guns" left that may be better than Monsters. (I really do like Monsters) My guess was it was better as Soul Monster with Buckethead, etc. 

Imagine it went from Soul Monster, to just Monster because of DJ Ashba :P Then they added the extra "s" to signify Slash is back, thus Monsters. :) 

5 hours ago, vloors said:

Axl creatively on the other hand.......releasing 20+ year old scrap material tracks not good enough to put on his one album.

The plan was to release multiple albums then. 2008's Chinese Democracy was not a "best of" between the 32 tracks they were working on then. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I like Monsters, but unless they get it remixed/remastered, I really have not a lot of interest on it anymore. 

My assumption is it will be the same, much like The General. The official release of The General sounded slightly more clear than the leak, so at least we may get that.

Ideally, they will have professionals handle the mixing and mastering, like they did with Perhaps. They even got Bob Ludwig to master it! He mastered the 2008 album. But, my guess Monsters is already ready to go, despite being a brickwalled sonic shitstorm like The General and Hard Skool. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

My assumption is it will be the same, much like The General. The official release of The General sounded slightly more clear than the leak, so at least we may get that.

Ideally, they will have professionals handle the mixing and mastering, like they did with Perhaps. They even got Bob Ludwig to master it! He mastered the 2008 album. But, my guess Monsters is already ready to go, despite being a brickwalled sonic shitstorm like The General and Hard Skool. 

Yeah, I know, but maybe they could rethink it as it didn't get release anyways.

5 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I sure hope so! Would be nice if they accidentally put Bucket's parts back. :P 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I hope they rethink the arrangement, the song only comes alive for that breakdown section. Verse is quite cool, but that chorus sinks the song for me, it just doesn't fit and it's a theme with the CD village songs, going good and then for some reason they throw this disjointed section that bombs the song.

Not likely to change it now though obviously, it's just wishful thinking😄 and obviously plenty here like it

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I hope they rethink the arrangement, the song only comes alive for that breakdown section. Verse is quite cool, but that chorus sinks the song for me, it just doesn't fit and it's a theme with the CD village songs, going good and then for some reason they throw this disjointed section that bombs the song.

Not likely to change it now though obviously, it's just wishful thinking😄 and obviously plenty here like it

I like the chorus, but I agree with the overall arrangement. The chorus itself could have been cool as a little outro/ coda and the "ohs" still sound out of key a bit to me. The verses are cool but short and I really like the Monsters part (which is just over the same verse music). Maybe a different chorus could have worked with the "It's over now..." parts kept with the outro solo at the end. The copy/paste vocals are very evident on that section to me. Overall, though, the song is a winner for me as far as leftovers go. Definitely my favorite of the bunch. I also agree the breakdown section elevates it. A different mix would have been nice on this and The General to highlight the orchestra more. I do really like Slash on Monsters. He doesn't overplay or do anything mind blowing, but it sounds cool and like classic GNR/early Snakepit more than his other modern- day playing to me. 

EDIT- I still really dig the tune :headbang:

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Sweersa said:

The plan was to release multiple albums then. 2008's Chinese Democracy was not a "best of" between the 32 tracks they were working on then. 

Yea i remember Axls original plan but I dont feel he ever finished those vocals for that many tracks.

Mostly what we have after CD is recycled verses on songs,  copy paste vocals from other tracks and highly edited vocals. Feels like they are putting vocal scraps together to make songs then them being actually already completed and ready to go. (Except for that one gem Monsters).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I do really like Slash on Monsters. He doesn't overplay or do anything mind blowing, but it sounds cool and like classic GNR/early Snakepit more than his other modern- day playing to me.

Yea, I'm kinda surprised that the 'Slash fans' seem to prefer Hardschool over the rest... the last minute of Monsters is the most tasteful/classic playing Slash has done on any of these songs.

16 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea, I'm kinda surprised that the 'Slash fans' seem to prefer Hardschool over the rest... the last minute of Monsters is the most tasteful/classic playing Slash has done on any of these songs.

I do dig HS, too! I think Slash did a good job on that. I prefer it to the demo (aside from the drums)

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I do dig HS, too! I think Slash did a good job on that. I prefer it to the demo (aside from the drums)

Yea I wasn't saying Hardschool is bad, but Monsters is on another level and I'm surprised more Slash fans don't seem to rate it as highly. Classic Axl vocals in the bridge, classic Slash playing in the outro... the whole song's catchy and it's by far the best we've heard from them both on one of the 'singles'.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea I wasn't saying Hardschool is bad, but Monsters is on another level and I'm surprised more Slash fans don't seem to rate it as highly. Classic Axl vocals in the bridge, classic Slash playing in the outro... the whole song's catchy and it's by far the best we've heard from them both on one of the 'singles'.

I think it’s not his best guitar work on the new singles but it’s the best song overall and it deserves a better sound.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Monsters would be a good song for a We’re Back and This Time We’re Not Fucking Around with the Same Old Setlist Tour 2025/26, with a new album arriving within the duration of the tour. Ideally including a proper music video. Followed by another single of a brand new song with the music written by Axl and Slash. And a DVD from 2016. And a proper fucking interview unveiling all the behind-the-curtain processes. Right? Right?? 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Monsters would be a good song for a We’re Back and This Time We’re Not Fucking Around with the Same Old Setlist Tour 2025/26, with a new album arriving within the duration of the tour. Ideally including a proper music video. Followed by another single of a brand new song with the music written by Axl and Slash. And a DVD from 2016. And a proper fucking interview unveiling all the behind-the-curtain processes. Right? Right?? 

Yeah and that's why it's not gonna happen and it'd 6-8 years too late anyway.

Edited by Spoon87
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I agree about Monsters. The chorus is very repetitive and uninspired to me. I don't agree about the other Village songs, I really like Perhaps' and Hard Skool's chorus. 

8 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Well, it's not just Slash playing there, so there's that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

totally agree!.  Axle sounds great in bridge screaming etc, and we get classic Slash.  The problem is the entire GnR camp never seem to do things right

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

I agree about Monsters. The chorus is very repetitive and uninspired to me. I don't agree about the other Village songs, I really like Perhaps' and Hard Skool's chorus. 

Well, it's not just Slash playing there, so there's that.

I don't mean the chorus especially, I just mean that all those songs have these sections forced into them like the ambient section in Absurd or slow down section in the hardskool solo. Then there's Atlas that actually has cool parts but the way they are stuck together doesn't sound natural, I'm talking specifically about the verse going to the chorus section... For me each time I hear it, I'm taken out of the flow. I know what they were going for (Radiohead, Soundgarden) choppy changey sections, but I don't think it works.

But yeah Perhaps is a good song throughout (I'll even give the solo a pass), and the chorus in Hardskool is the best thing about the song

• GNFNR 1

13 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I like the chorus, but I agree with the overall arrangement. The chorus itself could have been cool as a little outro/ coda and the "ohs" still sound out of key a bit to me. The verses are cool but short and I really like the Monsters part (which is just over the same verse music). Maybe a different chorus could have worked with the "It's over now..." parts kept with the outro solo at the end. The copy/paste vocals are very evident on that section to me. Overall, though, the song is a winner for me as far as leftovers go. Definitely my favorite of the bunch. I also agree the breakdown section elevates it. A different mix would have been nice on this and The General to highlight the orchestra more. I do really like Slash on Monsters. He doesn't overplay or do anything mind blowing, but it sounds cool and like classic GNR/early Snakepit more than his other modern- day playing to me. 

EDIT- I still really dig the tune :headbang:

I definitely hear the snakepit vibes with monsters. I was hoping for a break out Slash solo, it could have been cool under the verse feel. Strip it back to bass, drums maybe dizzy adding some very sparse keys and Slash soling in the space. What could have been🥲

For me Perhaps and state of grace are still the best of the bunch, obviously SOG is heavily unfinished but it has lots of potential. I would put Monsters in there if it wasn't for the chorus though, I really don't like that chorus😄

30 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't mean the chorus especially, I just mean that all those songs have these sections forced into them like the ambient section in Absurd or slow down section in the hardskool solo. Then there's Atlas that actually has cool parts but the way they are stuck together doesn't sound natural, I'm talking specifically about the verse going to the chorus section... For me each time I hear it, I'm taken out of the flow. I know what they were going for (Radiohead, Soundgarden) choppy changey sections, but I don't think it works.

But yeah Perhaps is a good song throughout (I'll even give the solo a pass), and the chorus in Hardskool is the best thing about the song

Got it. Yeah, I do like this sudden section changes, probably very Radiohead inspired as you said. I believe those songs were all being written during the Ok Computer and Kid A era, and Axl was reportedly at a Radiohead concert back when he was MIA in late 90s. 

At the same time, those changes are not uncommon for GNR. I think of things like Rocket Queen (the slide/sex part) or even demos like Ain't Goin' Down. The CD era stuff was probably arranged and edited on Pro Tools, though.