08/08/23 - Montreal, CAN - Parc Jean Drapeau

downzy

Just now, Heather14 said:

What was that story last year??

Correction: it was two years ago (time flies)

Axl: This next one is the first song that was written for Guns N’ Roses. I went over to Izzy’s and it was like, I threw some rocks at his window. He came to the window and, I don't know, he was worried I came over there to kick his ass (laughs). We’d been in an argument for a few months. So anyway, you know, it was like the Blues Brothers: "We gotta get the band back together, we gotta get the band together!” We sat down and I go, "Hey, I got some really depressing lyrics." He goes, "Oh dude, I got a really depressing guitar part." I was like, "Perfect, we got it made then.” [Hard Rock Live at Etess Arena, Atlantic City, NJ, USA, September 12, 2021]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm enjoying the latest version of Rocket Queen. I just wish we got it at Glastonbury so we had a pro-shot of it.

The one time I actually wanted them to spend eight years on a instrumental and they didn't. Typical 🤦‍♂️😂

Fingers crossed they're still playing it like this at the inevitable next visit to Rock In Rio in a couple of years 😂

1 minute ago, DoMw94 said:

I'm enjoying the latest version of Rocket Queen. I just wish we got it at Glastonbury so we had a pro-shot of it.

The one time I actually wanted them to spend eight years on a instrumental and they didn't. Typical 🤦‍♂️😂

Fingers crossed they're still playing it like this at the inevitable next visit to Rock In Rio in a couple of years 😂

They did play Rocket Queen at Glastonbury, and it was one of the best performances of the reunion! No long jam in the middle, Axl's mickey verses were buried in the mix, and the outro sounded good.

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Correction: it was two years ago (time flies)

Axl: This next one is the first song that was written for Guns N’ Roses. I went over to Izzy’s and it was like, I threw some rocks at his window. He came to the window and, I don't know, he was worried I came over there to kick his ass (laughs). We’d been in an argument for a few months. So anyway, you know, it was like the Blues Brothers: "We gotta get the band back together, we gotta get the band together!” We sat down and I go, "Hey, I got some really depressing lyrics." He goes, "Oh dude, I got a really depressing guitar part." I was like, "Perfect, we got it made then.” [Hard Rock Live at Etess Arena, Atlantic City, NJ, USA, September 12, 2021]

Thank you, that's a good one! The scene should be in a gnr biopic if it were made someday;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

They did play Rocket Queen at Glastonbury, and it was one of the best performances of the reunion! No long jam in the middle, Axl's mickey verses were buried in the mix, and the outro sounded good.

I know they played it, and that's exactly what I'm referring to! 😂

I personally like the new middle section, but Glasto was closer to the studio version, wasn't it? Cool, and about time they did that, but at the same time I'd like a good recording of the latest incarnation of the song

1 minute ago, DoMw94 said:

I know they played it, and that's exactly what I'm referring to! 😂

I personally like the new middle section, but Glasto was closer to the studio version, wasn't it? Cool, and about time they did that, but at the same time I'd like a good recording of the latest incarnation of the song

Yea Glasto was as close to the studio version as they've played in a long time. I like the piano in the middle but it does kinda feel out of place, might work better as an intro, and I really don't think RQ needs to be a 10-minute song...

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

TBF - I was completely uninterested in seeing Pretenders in Glasgow (sick of hearing Brass In Pocket on radio all the time)….however they were pretty good live and Hynde still sings pretty well.

She look young to 71 years old too.

7 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea Glasto was as close to the studio version as they've played in a long time. I like the piano in the middle but it does kinda feel out of place, might work better as an intro, and I really don't think RQ needs to be a 10-minute song...

I'm just thankful it's not a 30 minute song like it was at my first SMKC show! 🤣

Anything Goes now. Forgive me for the potentially dumb question, but there's a part about halfway through, after the solo – on the studio track it sounds like Slash and Izzy trade parts, but live Slash is playing both (I'm doing a shitty job of describing this in text, hopefully someone knows what I'm on about). Did Slash play both parts in the old days too, or is that a new development?

Edited by DoMw94