08/08/23 - Montreal, CAN - Parc Jean Drapeau

downzy

23 hours ago, Stryker said:

I find that many GnR fans discount all country acts, which is unfortunate, as they’ve been some of the best openers (Sturgill Simpson and Chris Stapleton come to mind).

I'm a fan of Chris Stapleton. He has a very soulful voice. 

8 hours ago, allwaystired said:

You've made 9 posts. All of them calling people 'haters' and telling us "Axl will always be the best" apart from the one where you say ....

"I can't believe some people still think they will release another album some day. These guys will keep milking the cow like no other band ever did (even Kiss.)" 

Are you quite ok? You seem rather confused in your view on the band.

Alternatively you could just be an attention seeking troll deliberately saying opposite things for some weird personal reason. 

Either of these scenarios is peculiar. 

Hah I was just looking into that as well and drew the same conclusion, wanted to reply along the lines like you did! 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 6:11 PM, 2020_Intensions said:

Oh ... Lame. Must feel nice to reminisce on stage making all that money meanwhile he ruined his relationship with that person he's reminiscing over 

I mean, to be fair just because Izzy said "they didn't share the fair share of the loot" what does that actually mean? For all we know Izzy wanted a large sum of money to guest appear and not even be an actual member of the band - which is as plausible as him wanting to take Richard's spot full time for as much money as Slash and Duff

Unless we have more facts, what you are saying is more or less just making stuff up

Edited by WhazUp

The thing with Izzy at the beginning involves one thing that baffles me to this day. According to them (Axl or Slash said that, or both), the initial plan was to only do a couple of shows. I really have no idea what would have happened afterwards (assuming this statement is true at all). Retirement? NuGNR? No way. As for Izzy’s role, it’s obviously a question of how much he was supposed to be involved. He wouldn’t have travelled with the band for the entire NITL, i.e. for years on. But then, if they really planned just maybe one year of sporadic concerts, he probably could have been fully part of it – in which case he would have been right about them not wanting to share the loot, provided this is what happened. Because in that case, all of them should have been credited equally. (This would have made 4tus redundant, btw. I don't think Izzy would have gone for 3 guitars.) 
So which was it? Just a couple of shows – and them being greedy not wanting to split the money equally? Or did Izzy want to just guest on a couple of gigs and required the same money (in which case I would understand why they wouldn’t succumb to that)? Or something else? 
And since they clearly don’t wanna stir any shit, there’s silence about the whole thing, as usual. 
But considering how Steven wanted to play more songs and TB wouldn't let him... I don't know, man. Again, if that is true at all. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, RONIN said:

Agree with a lot of this. I don't think it was a fully Axl decision either. My personal opinion given the early rumors was that Duff is likely the major impediment. There's an interview some years back with Chris Jericho? where Duff is even downplaying Izzy being underrated (when he claimed the opposite in his book). Then in Matt Sorum's book he claims Duff said F*ck Izzy and Matt conveyed that Izzy said FU back. Then we have Steven, according to him, Duff was the one who called him up to say he was out and being replaced by Frank. Maybe that was a band decision, who knows. Either way, I do think Duff is playing a larger role in the band's decision making than he ever did in the past.

There are some interesting band dynamics going on there. Remember that early rumor years ago that Slash at the last minute after the deals were already in place - like days before the Coachella shows demanded a higher percentage cut, and that it came out of Duff's end? Or when Axl claimed that him running into Duff in that hotel in 2010 wasn't a coincidence (what Duff was claiming). There's some juicy dirt with how that reunion came together I imagine. I think money was a huge motivator to get this thing off the ground. It's not hard to see how the partners may not have wanted to split anything extra with someone else. Maybe in their minds, they had already left 20 years worth of cash on the table as it was.

Izzy has a history of fighting over money - true. But Izzy and Steven both claim they had to fight the band to get what they were owed. Who do we believe? Now if we're talking about the nu guns years and Izzy asking to be paid a certain figure for guest spots - I mean, the guy wants to be paid what he was worth? I can see where Axl is coming from here though.

I do think when Izzy was still in the mix, they likely had no plans for a major tour yet. So maybe Izzy was considering just a few reunion shows and wanted to be paid an equal share. That would make sense. Even as an Izzy fan, it's hard to imagine him being on a grueling 7 year touring schedule.

I like your point of view. To me, is was always about money with Izzy and between Axl and the other guys too. At the reunion point, having Izzy or not will not change anything regarding ticket sales, so it is reasoable that the original 3 didn't want to give an equal percentage or something crazy to Izzy. Also I don't know if Izzy was reliable enough to tour crazy dates non stop, I imagine richard traveling incognito just in case :D.

With Steven is different, it is hard for me to thinks that he was a real choice or consideration. The guy is far more unreliable than Izzy, but he would have taken the gig for free.

After 7 years of the reunion, with no new material coming from new collaboration between Axl, Slash and Duff, we can say that it is and was about money and it is fine!! We like seeing them play together, they are pros, give a hell out of a show and keep their reputation high. Are they friends? Maybe not, but who cares, in the end it's only business

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lost un the jungle said:

After 7 years of the reunion, with no new material coming from new collaboration between Axl, Slash and Duff, we can say that it is and was about money and it is fine!!

I don't think we needed seven years to know that the initial reunion was about money.

Not entirely money, but there's little doubt it was the main motivator for at least the first year. 

That said, I think they would have made enough by this point if it was just about money. 

I don't think they'd keep it going for seven years if they hated each other.  Whatever issues they had they were able to overcome.  Seems like they enjoy it, and the boatloads of cash they rake in every show doesn't hurt either.  

• Like 4

• downzy unpinned this topic