Can we talk about ticket prices?

i only paid 50$ more than what i paid in 2017... considering that most everything everything has shot up in price since then i can swallow it...

idk why montreal pit was only 302$ canadian all in, which is 223$ US... maybe cuz the shows on a tuesday ? i was expecting them to cost way more... no way in hell id pay 453 US tho

8 hours ago, cineater said:

Got to remember these businesses lost a lot of revenue during covid.  It's now time to recoup some of that.  We wanted them to support their employees during that time with nothing coming in.  They've included that loss in their prices going forward.

Having said that, shit!  Looking like the cheap seats and no merch.  I'm still having a hot dog.  Can't go to the stadium and not get one of those. :lol:

They got a PPP loan to pay their crew with.
Guns N' Roses, Eagles, Pearl Jam Took PPP Loans for Canceled Tours - Variety

I scored a pair of all inclusive party suite tix for $389.52 to the St.Louis show. I don't think that's too bad since all food and drinks are included. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeffc2022 said:

What are the chances of tickets being fake if you get them from the general public sale 

Zero, as long as you are getting them from an official source ( ticketmaster, Live Nation, venue website). Stay away from the scalper sites like StubHub, TicketsNow,  and the several others that are out there. 

3 hours ago, mikeman5150 said:

What do you guys think about the demand for these tickets? This will be the 3rd time they played Hershey since the reunion. 1st show was awesome, but the last one was one of the weakest shows on the tour. It was also less packed last time. I really want to go, get good floor seats, but I’m debating playing the waiting game, or just pulling the trigger tomorrow morning. Any thoughts? 

I'm waiting for tickets. I was at both Hershey shows and this one is a lot more expensive than the last two.  My girlfriend won't do the stands at Hershey so it's either floor seats or nothing, and I want to see if the prices go down a little. Or if there is a great opener I will buy at these prices.  I'm still bummed the show in Philly w/ the smashing pumpkins opening didn't happen!

If I can't find discounted floor seats for Hershey I'll find something at MetLife.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

I'm waiting for tickets. I was at both Hershey shows and this one is a lot more expensive than the last two.  My girlfriend won't do the stands at Hershey so it's either floor seats or nothing, and I want to see if the prices go down a little. Or if there is a great opener I will buy at these prices.  I'm still bummed the show in Philly w/ the smashing pumpkins opening didn't happen!

If I can't find discounted floor seats for Hershey I'll find something at MetLife.

Wait for discounted tickets down the road. Even the day of the show. Saw a few bands that they couldn't fill the front rows and they were giving them out. Most people bought cheap seats and when Hershey saw that the pit and front row were pretty empty they came to people. So my stepdad and I got front row tickets.  And the comments on the Hershey page about the last show are pretty shitty. That people won't attend again. 

1 hour ago, AppetiteForDestruction said:

Wait for discounted tickets down the road. Even the day of the show. Saw a few bands that they couldn't fill the front rows and they were giving them out. Most people bought cheap seats and when Hershey saw that the pit and front row were pretty empty they came to people. So my stepdad and I got front row tickets.  And the comments on the Hershey page about the last show are pretty shitty. That people won't attend again. 

Interesting because I've never seen such discounts for big acts in Europe (at least in France).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, adamsapple said:

Going all the way back to ticket prices of the 20th century would be unfair, so I'll just list the last three shows I attended (not counting Axl/DC, just GNR) in this century. I'm in Europe, so prices are in euros.

2006 was 45 euros, they played for about 2+ hours, cool venues and festivals, tight band like a clockwork, Axl just a little late but in top form, almost all of AFD plus at the time yet unreleased material was performed, great opening acts, sometimes Izzy would join them and if you came early enough you could be sure to be in front of the stage at no extra charge

2010 was 70 euros, show was 3+ hours, decent venues and festivals, amazing live sound, Axl was arguably at his peak as a vocalist, half of CD was performed, mediocre opening acts and DJ Ashba couldn't take away from the fact that all things considered (sorry, couldn't resist) you got some serious bang for your buck and could find a decent seat at a reasonable price

2017 was roundabout 120 euros for decent seats (= being able to follow the entire show with your own eyes and not on the screens), show was 3+ hours, Axl was on time and sang alright, shitty opening acts but you got some deep cuts and a semi-reunion including Slash and Duff, so yeah, still a fair deal imo

Now fast foward to 2023, same lineup, basically the same show as 2017, Axl is probably gonna sound like a grumpy ole grandpa, band will likely keep going through the motions and if you want to actually see them in real life and not just on a big screen it's up to 250 euros or even more for just one single ticket anywhere near the stage, which even considering inflation is where I draw the line for a rock concert and pass, regardless of what's being offered or whether I can afford it or not

Thoughts?

I think you hit the nail on the head, it's not just inflation etc. it's an increase in cost (massive increase) for a massive decline in the show. I know these are different genres but watch a show by someone like lady gaga. it's a spectacle. in the same genre, watch a show by kiss or motley crue. they are spending money and time on giving you a show to watch not just hear. GnR have absolutely nothing on stage except the band. No light show, no pyro, no dancers, nothing high tech to wow you. throw in al sounded poor and slash and duff phoning it in playing the same songs, but worse over several tours. The argument of they might die soon or who knows when its the last time doesnt wash. £200 for a golden circle ticket. plus food drink and travel. thats a weekend holiday. If they're going to give us fuck all, do a club tour, not a stadium tour. 

• Like 2

I don't see any point in going to big solo shows (arenas and stadiums) to see anyone really. Huge European festivals cost like 300€ for 4 days and have a ton of huge bands that would cost like 1000€ to see. They're not really for young kids anymore, there a ton of options even for 50+ people.

Let's say I wanted to see only Kiss, Motley Cure, Iron Maiden and Slipknot. Standing for their shows are 70-100€ and that's already 300€ worth at least

832078-hellfest-2023-a-clisson-la-progra

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

I don't see any point in going to big solo shows (arenas and stadiums) to see anyone really. Huge European festivals cost like 300€ for 4 days and have a ton of huge bands that would cost like 1000€ to see. They're not really for young kids anymore, there a ton of options even for 50+ people.

Let's say I wanted to see only Kiss, Motley Cure, Iron Maiden and Slipknot. Standing for their shows are 70-100€ and that's already 300€ worth at least

832078-hellfest-2023-a-clisson-la-progra

It's true. I don't really love festivals anymore, but the same goes for shows in a big field, like GNR always seem to do in Holland. If you compare, I pay 119 EUR for one day of Graspop and see lots of bands. In Landgraaf, I would pay 100 EUR for GA and 180 for golden circle to see just GNR. And it's basically the same, standing in a big field. At least at Graspop I can get to the front without paying (a lot!) more.

I loved the system for 'golden circle' they had for Axl/DC in 2016. People who got there early, could just go in and got a bracelet. That's only fair, I think. Diehard fans who want to be in the front, don't have to pay more, they just have to get there early.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

The argument of they might die soon or who knows when its the last time doesnt wash. £200 for a golden circle ticket. plus food drink and travel. thats a weekend holiday. If they're going to give us fuck all, do a club tour, not a stadium tour. 

I think the argument is that many don't share your opinion regarding them phoning it in or giving ''fuck all'' and even with these kind of prices they want to see GnR perform live.

Edited by EvanG

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Paris 2017 tickets for GNR were going for super cheap three days before. I considered going myself, but passed due to the travel costs. 

Ha yes you're right, the Stade de France was oversize for them. Actually even La Defense Arena might be. But anyway its really rare here, so it might have been an exception to the rule, although it seems pretty common in the US. Probably due to the fact that US markets have a lot more artists than over here ?

Just now, WillBailey said:

Ha yes you're right, the Stade de France was oversize for them. Actually even La Defense Arena might be. But anyway its really rare here, so it might have been an exception to the rule, although it seems pretty common in the US. Probably due to the fact that US markets have a lot more artists than over here ?

It's more to do with the way Ticketmaster works I think. That 'demand based pricing' shit has been going on in the US for ages and has only just started going on in Europe in the last year or so. 

It's big now anyway. Important thing to note though...... it's all done with the bands consent. Some bands still don't get involved in it. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

It's more to do with the way Ticketmaster works I think. That 'demand based pricing' shit has been going on in the US for ages and has only just started going on in Europe in the last year or so. 

It's big now anyway. Important thing to note though...... it's all done with the bands consent. Some bands still don't get involved in it. 

Yes interesting... I'll keep an eye on it but like I said for big acts here it seems pretty rare. For some artists prices are skyrocketing (Madonna, Elton, etc), one day in the future we'll have to pay one grand to enter the arena. Some VIP cash grabs are already in that price range. Crazy stuff really.

5 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Important thing to note though...... it's all done with the bands consent. Some bands still don't get involved in it. 

Exactly. A few weeks back there was criticism to tickets for Beyoncé with dynamic pricing. It is quite new here, but they also stressed artists choose the system. I also read Bruce Springsteen's fanclub since 1980 decided to call it quits after the Boss opted for the dynamic pricing system. Funny that they try to excuse it by saying they want to beat scalpers nu doing that. Everyone realizes it's pure greed. I find it very offputting. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, adamsapple said:

Everything went up, except my salary.

Maybe change professions or at least who you work for if they don’t value you.

I don’t think it is greed at all. At least where I am (the US) it’s a free market. something sells when the consumer feels the value for the product is at least equal to, if not greater than, the price asked. All you have to do is not buy.

Something is worth what someone is willing to pay.

Just my opinion.

27 minutes ago, B5Redeye said:

Maybe change professions or at least who you work for if they don’t value you.

I don’t think it is greed at all. At least where I am (the US) it’s a free market. something sells when the consumer feels the value for the product is at least equal to, if not greater than, the price asked. All you have to do is not buy.

Something is worth what someone is willing to pay.

Just my opinion.

I think this ignores that the concert and ticket selling market are monopolized by Live Nation who owns Ticketmaster though. Like 95% of consumers transactions are dealing with one company which doesn't seem like a free market.  Edit: I'll take back that last part because it is a free-market but it shows that unregulated mergers and lack of competition aren't a good thing. We need some form of regulation and its why we see so many industries that operate like monopolies and have undue influence on governments to keep it that way.

Edited by mystery
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, WAR41 said:

I'm skipping this tour.  The price of GA for Metlife is insulting.  $453 after the TM fees.  No thanks. Funny part is I can afford these tickets, but I can't continue to encourage this nonsense of the same setlist, subpar vocals and half the set being cover songs. I've only willingly skipped GNR once in my life.  The Brooklyn Bowl show and it turned out Axl was sick anyways and ended the show early.  But for me not to buy a GA seat at face value when it was available is saying something.  I'm sure I'm not the only hardcore fan looking at these prices and passing.  Until they promise an updated setlist, bring Izzy and/or Steven on tour or get an insane opening act I'm staying on the sidelines for this one.  

THIS.  Couldn't have written it better myself.

• GNFNR 1

52 minutes ago, mystery said:

I think this ignores that the concert and ticket selling market are monopolized by Live Nation who owns Ticketmaster though. Like 95% of consumers transactions are dealing with one company which doesn't seem like a free market.  Edit: I'll take back that last part because it is a free-market but it shows that unregulated mergers and lack of competition aren't a good thing. We need some form of regulation and its why we see so many industries that operate like monopolies and have undue influence on governments to keep it that way.

For sure they “run” things. Ni argument there.

That said anyone and everyone is free to come up with a new online ticket platform to try and cut into that monopoly. 

• Haha 1