Can we talk about ticket prices?

9 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

To be fair, the "all new show" was promoted for the tour that got cancelled due to covid, wasn't it? After that it was just "we're fn back"

oh god not the famous 'we're Fn back' tour. that was indefensible. I can't believe people are happy to be taking this shit by gnr. $300 tickets. just give us something. a new album or an actual new stage show and setlist. anything!

• Like 1

'All new show'- haha, forgot that one! 

Amazed they even suggested that, let alone had the balls to type it out. 

1 hour ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

To be fair, the "all new show" was promoted for the tour that got cancelled due to covid, wasn't it? After that it was just "we're fn back"

Wasn't there 'stadium rock is back' too? That was pretty dumb, given that stadiums are categorically the worst places to ever watch rock music. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, adamsapple said:

Waiting it out until that "dynamic pricing system" allows for buying tickets at somewhat reasonable prices only works if you live close enough to the venue or have no life.

In reality, most people probably have to plan in advance and travel, perhaps even book a flight and find a hotel, maybe take a day or two off work, find a babysitter...whatever. It's not just a ticket, it's so much more.

Unless they only want to play to "gimme those two songs I know from TV and a backdrop for Instagram but fuck the actual music" audiences exclusively, they need to do something about it, as much as the actual fans need to wake the fuck up.

Keep going like this and ten years further on down that road, concerts by established artists will be an exclusive elitist "event" for rich people only, while all cultural participation of and for the common man happens outside of that circle.

Music should connect people, not divide them.

I don't think that's ten years down the line, I think we're pretty much there now aren't we? Certainly well on the way to it. 

The big piss take then is when these people say "oh, there's no good new music these days".

Imagine if a young GNR had these issues to contend with? They'd play bars and then split up and go into crime. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

It is giving fuck all in comparison to previous. it's beyond bias to say the shows are just as good or better than they were previously. I could maybe forgive their declining stage abilities in terms of vocal quality or energy from running around and being engaging to the eye, if they compensated for those age related reductions in power with an amazing stage show. They literally re created their 1992 stage and stripped away pyro, confetti and fireworks. Ok that is not the be all and end all, but it is a stadium show. not a club show or amphitheatre. Most people are hundreds of feet from the stage, you're not getting a personal experience, so give me something else. Acdc have the train, the massive blow up Rosie, the 21 gun salute, the fireworks. GnR did have a half decent visual experience form 2002-2018. but since then it has been bare bones.

They advertised an 'all new show' - we thought 'wow, new songs new setlist, new layout, new tech, awesome!' What did we get? We got the same show with all the pyro and confetti taken away. please look past your bias. compare the product with other legacy bands not giving us new music. It doesnt mean you love GnR any less to admit that they are ripping off the fans with a poorer product that we are paying more for. 

But that's your opinion. And that's fine, your opinion is as valid as mine or someone elses is. I quoted you because you state so many things like they are facts, while they're not, it's all based on your subjectivity. You are very eager to constantly repeat the same things about why you don't like it, but you're not going to change anyone's mind because everyone has a different opinion anyway, and that should be okay. I don't have a problem with you being critical, so why do you care if others don't share the same sentiment? Just let those who do enjoy it have their fun without constantly trying to convince them otherwise.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 3

On 2/23/2023 at 8:26 PM, adamsapple said:

Going all the way back to ticket prices of the 20th century would be unfair, so I'll just list the last three shows I attended (not counting Axl/DC, just GNR) in this century. I'm in Europe, so prices are in euros.

2006 was 45 euros, they played for about 2+ hours, cool venues and festivals, tight band like a clockwork, Axl just a little late but in top form, almost all of AFD plus at the time yet unreleased material was performed, great opening acts, sometimes Izzy would join them and if you came early enough you could be sure to be in front of the stage at no extra charge

2010 was 70 euros, show was 3+ hours, decent venues and festivals, amazing live sound, Axl was arguably at his peak as a vocalist, half of CD was performed, mediocre opening acts and DJ Ashba couldn't take away from the fact that all things considered (sorry, couldn't resist) you got some serious bang for your buck and could find a decent seat at a reasonable price

2017 was roundabout 120 euros for decent seats (= being able to follow the entire show with your own eyes and not on the screens), show was 3+ hours, Axl was on time and sang alright, shitty opening acts but you got some deep cuts and a semi-reunion including Slash and Duff, so yeah, still a fair deal imo

Now fast foward to 2023, same lineup, basically the same show as 2017, Axl is probably gonna sound like a grumpy ole grandpa, band will likely keep going through the motions and if you want to actually see them in real life and not just on a big screen it's up to 250 euros or even more for just one single ticket anywhere near the stage, which even considering inflation is where I draw the line for a rock concert and pass, regardless of what's being offered or whether I can afford it or not

Thoughts?

I can see a roughly similar rise here. Here being in The Netherlands.  I also feel the need to stress that I only ever buy tickets through either TicketMaster or Eventim. So that's only the official channels, no re-sale websites. 

In 2006 I'd say the average big name was somewhere between 50 and 70 euro's for regular field tickets in arena gigs (so let's say 6000-20.000 people) as well as stadium and open-air gigs (so let's say aroung 50.000-60.000 people). Some things were definitely more though. I remember my first Stones concert being over 120 in 2006 for regular field tickets in the Amsterdam Arena (Johan Cruyff Stadium). But that was an exception. Some artists were around that at the time too, like Ry Cooder or Neil Young, but that was for small-scale theatre gigs (seated, between 1000 and 2000 seats).  

Over time that's gone up to around 100 euro's for a big artists for regular field tickets for the same type of gigs. Let's say you can see most things for between 80 and 110 euro's in 2022/2023. Which I don't like, but I find it roughly acceptable. After all, everything has gotten more expensive and I'm sure touring expenses have gone up too. 

I've also seen a steeper incline in seated tickets for the better seats. Let's say most arena's and stadiums here are nearly always standing tickets on the field, and seated tickets for the regular seats. For example I'm seeing Bruce Springsteen later this year for just over 100 euro, but if I'd want to have good seats I'd have paid about twice that. Which I believe is absolutely ridiculous. 

Another thing I've noticed is that nearly every band and their momma are now offering "pit"/"golden circle" or whatever you want to call it tickets for the first section for absolutely idiotitic prices. And then you can pay even more if you want your "package" to include early entry or whatever. This is clearly a big chance since you'd simply never see that over here in the 00's. I'm definitely not paying for that. 

Thankfully, there's also been a decline in number of gigs I see a year. In 2007-2009 I'd see well over 20 gigs a year whereas these days I see 5 to 10 gigs a year. That's not a money issue by the way, just a matter of making choices instead of going to everything every time. So that keeps it afforable.

But where regular prices are at (the roughly 100 euro's for regular tickets) are just about the limit for me. When it'd rise even higher (like I've seen in other countries) that just takes the fun out of it for me. Thankfully I've managed to cross nearly every big artist I really wanted to see off my list, so I'd be okay with seeing more small-scale and afforable things instead. 

• Like 1

Just now, username said:

Fantastic band, still. You're missing out mate. In 2023, I'd pick them over GnR any day of the week. 

I know you would, your hatred towards GnR is well known by now.
And I've seen Heideroosjes more times than I can count, being from the same place. I was young...

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

I know you would, your hatred towards GnR is well known by now.
And I've seen Heideroosjes more times than I can count, being from the same place. I was young...

I actually love what GnR used to be an awful lot. What they've become makes me sad. But this choice I'd make out of love for Heideroosjes, not out of hate for GnR. 

1 minute ago, username said:

I actually love what GnR used to be an awful lot. What they've become makes me sad. But this choice I'd make out of love for Heideroosjes, not out of hate for GnR. 

I know, you remind us with almost every post on here. I'm not sure why, though. If I was so disappointed with a band I wouldn't be posting at their fan forum every day expressing the same disappointment over and over. But to each their own, I guess.

9 hours ago, EvanG said:

But that's your opinion. And that's fine, your opinion is as valid as mine or someone elses is. I quoted you because you state so many things like they are facts, while they're not, it's all based on your subjectivity. You are very eager to constantly repeat the same things about why you don't like it, but you're not going to change anyone's mind because everyone has a different opinion anyway, and that should be okay. I don't have a problem with you being critical, so why do you care if others don't share the same sentiment? Just let those who do enjoy it have their fun without constantly trying to convince them otherwise.

I dont think it's opinion to state that Axls vocal has got worse. that's evidenced by listening to the shows. I'm not sure anyone here would agree his voice is as good or better than previous tours. It's also not opinion that the stage show no longer has pyro, confetti etc - again thats a fact. what is opinion is that to me, that means it is a worse show than before. 

I genuinely havent seen a lot of people saying these shows are so fantastic and they cannot wait to go again and are willing to pay any price. I've seen a lot of people begrudgingly say they will go to the shows because they love the band and there are certainly worse things to be doing than seeing GnR in a stadium, but that still doesnt make the product good.

Also i have no problem with you wanting to go to the show and have a good time, i hope everyone that does go will have a good time seeing them, but i also feel we're complicit in this by continuing to buy tickets for subpar performances and the same show. If people are happy to do that, that's great for them, but it also means the band are less likley to want to improve the stage show, release new music or shake up the setlist if people will just pay to see whatever they serve up. this is year 8 of reunion tour and year 15 of no new album. That is insane. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

True, but at least with Kiss or Motley crue i get to see the drum set flip over and rammstein will blow up a helluva lotta shit :lol:

Though both their shows are about an hour, give or take, shorter. I rather have a longer show, than flipping drum sets or pyro (or confetti :rofl-lol:). Oh well, in Rammstein's case, no pyro would suck, because it's a huge part of the show and they are great at it. The baby explosions at GNR shows are for children. No one else cares about that shit.

23 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Though both their shows are about an hour, give or take, shorter. I rather have a longer show, than flipping drum sets or pyro (or confetti :rofl-lol:). Oh well, in Rammstein's case, no pyro would suck, because it's a huge part of the show and they are great at it. The baby explosions at GNR shows are for children. No one else cares about that shit.

The loud explosions and pyro help distract from Axls vocal, giving the illusion of a great show! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JimiRose said:

True, but at least with Kiss or Motley crue i get to see the drum set flip over and rammstein will blow up a helluva lotta shit :lol:

Right because the drum set is part of their gimmick. And rammstein blowing shit up is part of their gimmick. So you are getting what you paid for. 

Guns’  gimmick is Axl and Slash. 

And that’s what people are getting when they  buy a ticket. 

Edited by HollyWoodRose84

18 hours ago, EvanG said:

I know, you remind us with almost every post on here. I'm not sure why, though. If I was so disappointed with a band I wouldn't be posting at their fan forum every day expressing the same disappointment over and over. But to each their own, I guess.

Kind of strange of you to call me out on that in a thread where I wasn't ripping on GnR at all. I offer what I think is fair criticism on the current band and particularly their management team while still liking a lot of what they did before. If it bothers you I then suggest ignoring it. Especially in a thread where I was talking about ticket prices over the years in general. 

11 hours ago, JimiRose said:

I dont think it's opinion to state that Axls vocal has got worse. that's evidenced by listening to the shows. I'm not sure anyone here would agree his voice is as good or better than previous tours. It's also not opinion that the stage show no longer has pyro, confetti etc - again thats a fact. what is opinion is that to me, that means it is a worse show than before. 

I genuinely havent seen a lot of people saying these shows are so fantastic and they cannot wait to go again and are willing to pay any price. I've seen a lot of people begrudgingly say they will go to the shows because they love the band and there are certainly worse things to be doing than seeing GnR in a stadium, but that still doesnt make the product good.

Also i have no problem with you wanting to go to the show and have a good time, i hope everyone that does go will have a good time seeing them, but i also feel we're complicit in this by continuing to buy tickets for subpar performances and the same show. If people are happy to do that, that's great for them, but it also means the band are less likley to want to improve the stage show, release new music or shake up the setlist if people will just pay to see whatever they serve up. this is year 8 of reunion tour and year 15 of no new album. That is insane. 

To be fair, I reacted to your initial post where you said that the band is ''phoning it in'' and ''give fuck all''. You stated that, as you have done so many times already, as facts, but they are not facts. It's your opinion and that's okay, but I am sure a lot of people have a different opinion, hence why the band is still touring so successfully so many years after the reunion. But I don't have to convince you otherwise, just like you don't have to keep repeating your opinion either. Just accept that everyone has a different opinion. It's ok, ya know?

2 hours ago, username said:

Kind of strange of you to call me out on that in a thread where I wasn't ripping on GnR at all. I offer what I think is fair criticism on the current band and particularly their management team while still liking a lot of what they did before. If it bothers you I then suggest ignoring it. Especially in a thread where I was talking about ticket prices over the years in general. 

dude, come on... don't pretend you're this naive. This is not about offering criticism. Almost every post you make on here is the same list of complaints each time on a daily basis. Look, it has been said many times before, you can be critical, you can complain, you don't have to like this band anymore, it's all fine, but you have become such a broken record on here, you really don't have to be this way. You keep on repeating yourself with almost every post and there's really no need for that. Or is this some kind of coping mechanism because the band you used to like so much has clearly disappointed you so much and this is your way of dealing with it?

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1