Can we talk about ticket prices?

27 minutes ago, Jeffc2022 said:

I’m going backstage and axl is going to be there and he is going to hand me and my son tickets for the next possible show I can show up to because he wants to see us. 

Sure thing… then get him to give you hundreds more for all of us on here 👍🏼😂

41 minutes ago, B5Redeye said:

For sure they “run” things. Ni argument there.

That said anyone and everyone is free to come up with a new online ticket platform to try and cut into that monopoly. 

Coming up with a new business from scratch to compete is really not as simple a solution as it seems when Live Nation acts as an effective monopoly and likely lobbies to keep it that way.

Pearl Jam challenged Ticketmaster before the Live Nation merger in 1994-95 and nothing really changed except Ticketmaster having to disclose fees as the Justice Department decided not to press it any further.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, WAR41 said:

I'm skipping this tour.  The price of GA for Metlife is insulting.  $453 after the TM fees.  No thanks. Funny part is I can afford these tickets, but I can't continue to encourage this nonsense of the same setlist, subpar vocals and half the set being cover songs. I've only willingly skipped GNR once in my life.  The Brooklyn Bowl show and it turned out Axl was sick anyways and ended the show early.  But for me not to buy a GA seat at face value when it was available is saying something.  I'm sure I'm not the only hardcore fan looking at these prices and passing.  Until they promise an updated setlist, bring Izzy and/or Steven on tour or get an insane opening act I'm staying on the sidelines for this one.  

On 2/23/2023 at 3:36 PM, BangoSkank said:

I so fucking agree - sad what the industry has come to. I remember when GNR played MSG in 2017 (?). They were doing four or five nights. I live in NJ and could have easily made it there. But I went to zero because anything decent was $300-$400. Now, I've reserved myself to a shitty nosebleed day of for my one of my favorite bands. And honestly, I could afford some of this, but it's really just principle. That is just so goddamn much.

And I get there are costs to cover and that's hard with inflation, gas prices, and covid insurance. But still, it's deflating. 

Respectfully, I have to disagree with both statements. The most I paid for a GNR show at MetLife since 2016 was $180 with fees. MSG was roughly $150. The August 5, 2021 show I paid $130 with fees. All seats were good at MetLife.  For the show that is coming up at MetLife, there are tickets for $100 plus fees which would be $130-$140.  I disagree that all good seats costs $300-$400. 

16 hours ago, tat2d1 said:

They got a PPP loan to pay their crew with.
Guns N' Roses, Eagles, Pearl Jam Took PPP Loans for Canceled Tours - Variety

I scored a pair of all inclusive party suite tix for $389.52 to the St.Louis show. I don't think that's too bad since all food and drinks are included. 

For a pair and food that sounds like a good deal.  We're going to that show too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B5Redeye said:

For sure they “run” things. Ni argument there.

That said anyone and everyone is free to come up with a new online ticket platform to try and cut into that monopoly. 

There are barriers of entry when creating a business. One of which is that Ticketmaster has contracts with the venues. There are others like marketing. It's not that easy.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Respectfully, I have to disagree with both statements. The most I paid for a GNR show at MetLife since 2016 was $180 with fees. MSG was roughly $150. The August 5, 2021 show I paid $130 with fees. All seats were good at MetLife.  For the show that is coming up at MetLife, there are tickets for $100 plus fees which would be $130-$140.  I disagree that all good seats costs $300-$400. 

I hear you.  I'm all about being up front in the action so unless I get a free ticket elsewhere I'm going to pay for those tix up front.  Honestly I wish I wasn't spoiled with the seats/spots I've had in the past.  Being up against the rail for 2 shows at MSG in 2017 ruined me :lol:

On 2/23/2023 at 1:26 PM, adamsapple said:

Going all the way back to ticket prices of the 20th century would be unfair, so I'll just list the last three shows I attended (not counting Axl/DC, just GNR) in this century. I'm in Europe, so prices are in euros.

2006 was 45 euros, they played for about 2+ hours, cool venues and festivals, tight band like a clockwork, Axl just a little late but in top form, almost all of AFD plus at the time yet unreleased material was performed, great opening acts, sometimes Izzy would join them and if you came early enough you could be sure to be in front of the stage at no extra charge

2010 was 70 euros, show was 3+ hours, decent venues and festivals, amazing live sound, Axl was arguably at his peak as a vocalist, half of CD was performed, mediocre opening acts and DJ Ashba couldn't take away from the fact that all things considered (sorry, couldn't resist) you got some serious bang for your buck and could find a decent seat at a reasonable price

2017 was roundabout 120 euros for decent seats (= being able to follow the entire show with your own eyes and not on the screens), show was 3+ hours, Axl was on time and sang alright, shitty opening acts but you got some deep cuts and a semi-reunion including Slash and Duff, so yeah, still a fair deal imo

Now fast foward to 2023, same lineup, basically the same show as 2017, Axl is probably gonna sound like a grumpy ole grandpa, band will likely keep going through the motions and if you want to actually see them in real life and not just on a big screen it's up to 250 euros or even more for just one single ticket anywhere near the stage, which even considering inflation is where I draw the line for a rock concert and pass, regardless of what's being offered or whether I can afford it or not

Thoughts?

Damn 🤣

3 hours ago, Original said:

Wait it out.  I just scored Bruce 4th row  tickets for next weeks St Paul show for $200 a pop.   Until now they were close to $1K per.  Just play the game. 

Oh I play the game my friend!  I'm fine paying face value if its reasonable.  This is NOT reasonable.  

Waiting it out until that "dynamic pricing system" allows for buying tickets at somewhat reasonable prices only works if you live close enough to the venue or have no life.

In reality, most people probably have to plan in advance and travel, perhaps even book a flight and find a hotel, maybe take a day or two off work, find a babysitter...whatever. It's not just a ticket, it's so much more.

Unless they only want to play to "gimme those two songs I know from TV and a backdrop for Instagram but fuck the actual music" audiences exclusively, they need to do something about it, as much as the actual fans need to wake the fuck up.

Keep going like this and ten years further on down that road, concerts by established artists will be an exclusive elitist "event" for rich people only, while all cultural participation of and for the common man happens outside of that circle.

Music should connect people, not divide them.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, EvanG said:

I think the argument is that many don't share your opinion regarding them phoning it in or giving ''fuck all'' and even with these kind of prices they want to see GnR perform live.

It is giving fuck all in comparison to previous. it's beyond bias to say the shows are just as good or better than they were previously. I could maybe forgive their declining stage abilities in terms of vocal quality or energy from running around and being engaging to the eye, if they compensated for those age related reductions in power with an amazing stage show. They literally re created their 1992 stage and stripped away pyro, confetti and fireworks. Ok that is not the be all and end all, but it is a stadium show. not a club show or amphitheatre. Most people are hundreds of feet from the stage, you're not getting a personal experience, so give me something else. Acdc have the train, the massive blow up Rosie, the 21 gun salute, the fireworks. GnR did have a half decent visual experience form 2002-2018. but since then it has been bare bones.

They advertised an 'all new show' - we thought 'wow, new songs new setlist, new layout, new tech, awesome!' What did we get? We got the same show with all the pyro and confetti taken away. please look past your bias. compare the product with other legacy bands not giving us new music. It doesnt mean you love GnR any less to admit that they are ripping off the fans with a poorer product that we are paying more for. 

• Like 2