06/24/23 - Pilton, GB - Glastonbury Festival **TIMES & STREAM INFO IN FIRST POST**

alfierose

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

See the BBC review saying the bands set had too much obscure music in it. Including Slither in that line up. I guess for a Glastonbury set, it is a little front loaded with less "greatest hits" stuff. I think it probably would have been a good idea to go into Jungle second and leave Bad obsession to the middle of the set, if at all. GNR just do not give a fuck🤣 "this is our set, like or lump it!" They don't mind the crowd dwindling. They probably should have brought out some of the fireworks too, although again... it's kinda cool that they forego the easy pop from the pyro.

Just listening here. Jungle was not great you could barely hear him. But almost everything else so far is surprisingly decent. The mix is a little wonky too, Duff and Melissa do a lot of backing vocals and they can barely be heard. Same for the piano

Slash really cocked up the Estranged solo🤣 Axl sounded pretty great on the outro of Estranged.

Rocket Queen vocals... verses he was struggling, but he pulled the old Axl out of the bag for that outro

Reckless life, Patience, Knocking on heavens (it was actually enjoyable🤣) were the most consistent songs vocally of the night by a country mile. There were other songs in there that were decent too, and some that were on the not so great. What I did like was that there was fuck all down time, they were lorrying into songs, so the energy didn't drop to badly 6/10 

Yea...I thought they'd at least end on fireworks during PC. I've been curious, when did all pyro end? Was it gradual or all at once? Seems a bit strange to take that totally out of their live set, when all their peers use it extensively on lesser budgets (smaller venues)....I'm not asking for full Kiss/Motley but I think used well, like the sparks during November Rain ending...it would of looked awesome in 4K last night....any takes on why?

2 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I was suffering a bit from FOMO last night and wondering if I should have tried to get tickets (even though I don't like festivals at my age!) I'd have never stood all day in the heat to get a spot at the front though so on balance watching on UHD 4K was probably better than being at the back of a field. :lol:

I’m the same as you. Had the opportunity to go, but passed on it as I can’t do the festival scene anymore.  Decided to do Hyde Park, so Poppy went instead.  She was right at the front and said the sun was torcherous and loads of hot sweaty, smelly folks pressing in all around until it started.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

I’m the same as you. Had the opportunity to go, but passed on it as I can’t do the festival scene anymore.  Decided to do Hyde Park, so Poppy went instead.  She was right at the front and said the sun was torcherous and loads of hot sweaty, smelly folks pressing in all around until it started.  

:vomit:

You see that's why it's just a nice fantasy. I can't do prolonged periods of discomfort in mass crowds.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Yea...I thought they'd at least end on fireworks during PC. I've been curious, when did all pyro end? Was it gradual or all at once? Seems a bit strange to take that totally out of their live set, when all their peers use it extensively on lesser budgets (smaller venues)....I'm not asking for full Kiss/Motley but I think used well, like the sparks during November Rain ending...it would of looked awesome in 4K last night....any takes on why?

Post-COVID, probably penny pinching 

5 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

No pyro since lockdown 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I'm sorry to say it, but the sound engineer is not to blame. It's been like this for a while at shows. When Axl goes for his falsetto/mix he loses all power and drops below the band. It would literally be one persons job to ride the gain/volume controls up and down multiple times throughout every song all night in order for Axl to be heard consistently. When he sings in his lower register or belts like in LALD the vocal returns to the mix. It's 100% a projection issue. The sound engineers hands are tied, you can only do so much when the source is giving you a weak signal. The other option is max out the gain and have feedback all night. Other option is too lower the volume of the rest of the band and have every thing sound weak.

Hopefully some of these comments make it back to management, but I have seen these comments before for other bands and the singers 9/10 blame the engineer. I mentioned this a few days about seeing Hall and Oates where Daryl was singing light like Axl dropping below the band, Daryl heard the front row saying they couldn't hear him so he asks the engineer to turn him up. Then for the rest of the gig is was the job of the engineer and monitor engineer to keep the system from feedbacking and you still could barely hear him sometimes. I guarantee the engineer was doing everything that could be done for GNR here.

From the phone clip I heard the band mix sounded incredible the drums sound so much better!

I was out while the gig was on so I haven't seen this performance yet, but the reviews seem to be consistent that Axls voice was dropping in and out and hard to hear.

Nothing that cannot be repaired, but he has to first of all acknowledge he needs some work, and then he has to do the work. He can definitely at the minimum get his mickey voice sounding powerful again.

(Some TV viewers complained his microphone was too quiet, but in the field he cut through the swathes of guitar like a knife through butter).

Quote taken from the praising BBC review of a journo there....so hopefully over the coming days/weeks we get a more rounded mix and maybe with how keen the band seem to be to tell the world they headlined Glasto, they may want to put out some videos on the official YT too....not that usually means great sound 😆

It's the cut outs, like someone was fading his mic up and down and not watching him for the start of a line ...if that can be fixed and his high given a bit of a boost (not too much as they don't sound great high in the mix...) Sure someone is probably on Logic/protools/audacity right about now....🤞🙏

6 minutes ago, DSTK said:

No pyro since lockdown 

Theories? Did someone get hurt ? 

Edited by colonizedmind

4 minutes ago, kanecrescente said:

Post-COVID, probably penny pinching 

Hmmm...NuGNR used plenty and must of had a much smaller budget. Their peers still using plenty. I can see reducing to save but all gone completely? Seems a bit strange. It's like someone just forgot to order it and they've gone, awww well

9 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Hmmm...NuGNR used plenty and must of had a much smaller budget. Their peers still using plenty. I can see reducing to save but all gone completely? Seems a bit strange. It's like someone just forgot to order it and they've gone, awww well

Maybe someone thought it was tacky

Yesterday was just a great reminder how good the band can still be. I just loved spending the day watching Glastonbury and building up to GNR playing. 

I didn’t get into GNR till around a few months or so after Paris 92 but to me this was like this this line ups version of that. This was the chance to show a huge watching audience with people watching in their homes the chance to show what they’re all about. 
I’m glad they went out and showed everyone while it’s not 30 years ago they are still a great band and can still bring it to the stage. Can’t wait till Tuesday in Glasgow yesterday just set the mood for it:headbang:

• Like 2

Just the pyro thing. I guess if cost isnt a thing then risk might be. They are actually a band that got caught up in dangerous pyro incident with James hetfield. Might have just decided they don't need it at this point in their touring career to get the crowds energised and the cost/risk/insurance is an extra hassle.

My impression is that they're streamlining lots of things and have become highly efficient touring machine. Which is great.

I convinced my sister to watch the show with me. She's not an hardcore fan, but she knows the catalog fairly well and likes Chinese democracy. I was telling her that Axl does sound all that great anymore, but that it's still a great show.

She was actually quite surprise by axl, saying that he sounded mostly great. Her only negative points were towards the crowd and she also thought that the band, especially melissa and slash, looked bored. She also wanted a longer set.

Meanwhile I was having a blast! Awesome show

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, axl666 said:

Just the pyro thing. I guess if cost isnt a thing then risk might be. They are actually a band that got caught up in dangerous pyro incident with James hetfield. Might have just decided they don't need it at this point in their touring career to get the crowds energised and the cost/risk/insurance is an extra hassle.

My impression is that they're streamlining lots of things and have become highly efficient touring machine. Which is great.

Maybe they are trying to be more climate conscious?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50562183

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/apr/27/music-industry-confronts-climate-crisis-gigs-resume

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

Did she (poppy) comment on the crowd size?

I watched it on tv and it looked huge, however couple of people on the efestival forums have said it was really easy to get into the pit around 10pm, one even said there was a huge exodus and said they’d never seen anything like it.

Not so sure about that though.