New Rick Beato video on GNR

On 6/1/2023 at 9:22 PM, downzy said:

Yeah, saw this earlier today.  Actually messaged Beato about this as I'm still not sure it's actually GNR who is actively blocking videos at this point.  I'm more inclined to believe it's the worst of the fan community that still takes it upon themselves to do whatever they think gets them in Axl's good graces.   I addressed this with Fernando and Beta several years ago when it really started happening and they implied they had no hand in it.  But they didn't seem to think it was really their problem to fix either.  

That's exactly the response I got from Beta. She found it ludicrous they would do such a thing, but also saw no big issue with it happening. 

20 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

That's exactly the response I got from Beta. She found it ludicrous they would do such a thing, but also saw no big issue with it happening. 

“We’re not endorsing it, but we don’t mind if it continues” means they are essentially endorsing it  

It’s just really short sighted. People keep finding new ways to engage with music. YouTube is a big part of the pie now. They’re missing out. Especially if their model now revolves around getting people to the show 

Edited by guitarpatch
  • Like 2

On 6/8/2023 at 4:58 PM, Billy Cundy said:

Good for GN’R. It’s their music. Beato isn’t the arbiter of taste he thinks he is. Why he feels he is entitled to use other people’s art as a springboard for his own career as a vlogger or whatever he is, is absolutely beyond me. 

It twists my melon seeing the sycophants in the comments saying he’s the ‘saviour of music’. Blokes’ never written or a recorded note of music that meant anything to anyone. GN’R have, and so it’s totally within their, and their labels right, to stop Beato using it for his own gain. 

Speaking of sycophants....

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

How am I being a sycophant pal? Go on enlighten me

I'm not your pal, buddy😉

Twas a tongue in cheek joke.

Also... Beato isn't saying "how dare you not allow ME to use your music, don't you know who I am??". Very much the opposite. He's just pointing out that the reach of these bands is going down because of their stance towards it, and then showing bands that are pro streamers are enjoying growing numbers. If they don't want to, so be it though. I'd love to watch Beato going through some gnr songs though, his what makes this song great videos are excellent 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, axlsalinger said:

Seems clear that the people mocking Rick Beato have never watched the channel. It's one of the best music channels on YouTube. Beato was a writer and producer for many years and has a long track record. 

He does some "What Makes This Song Great?" and music theory videos, they are excellent and informative. His point is that most bands allow their music to be referenced in YouTube videos, including most current popular groups. He does not care if bands or labels "de-monetize" the video, which means that the bands may receive money from ads for that video instead of the video's creator. He just wants to educate people about great music, and the bands with this idiotic policy are preventing younger people from learning more about these bands, and also costing them ad revenue.

Ultimately this seems like an Axl thing to me. If he doesn't care, someone should put a stop to this moronic blocking policy because it's 2023, not 1993.

wrong. I’ve watched a lot of Beato’s videos. From his early WMTSG content to his interviews with Sting and Lukather. I’ve also endured the moments he’s subjected us to his fellow guitar-bros like Rhett Shull, and their opinions on drum sounds (gosh what a boring guy Rhett is).
I just don’t love him or fawn over him like everyone else seems to. There’s a YouTuber called Pat Finnerty who does brilliant videos, and he teases Rick Beato and his format.. he even says in one of his vids ‘I’m not sure about that guy’. It was such a relief to know I’m not alone.
Not everyone has to love this bloke just because he talks about the music we like.
I dislike his guitar playing, it’s this reverb soaked modal fusion but with none of the bite of a Larry Carlton.

I don’t even agree with all his theory. He did a video on Rocketman by Elton and I feel his interpretation of the key centre is a bit… weird.

he also did a Alex Van Halen snare sound video, and didn’t get anywhere near haha, but that’s beside the point.

im aware of his producer credentials, he produced a pop country hit in the 2000s. Ok..? And? I’ve heard his original stuff, and let’s just say there’s probably a reason he’s a YouTuber and not a rockstar.

I do like hearing multitracks of songs I like, but frankly there are more and more ‘deconstructed’ vids coming to YouTube. I get real Cult of Personality vibes from Beato. All the cork-sniffing nerds in the comments calling him the ‘saviour of music’.. what is that about? 

to me, it’s the equivalent of a football commentator being afforded the same praise as Messi. Makes no sense. 

Edited by Billy Cundy
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

wrong. I’ve watched a lot of Beato’s video. From his early WMTSG content to his interviews with Sting and Lukather. I’ve also endured the moments he’s subjected us to his fellow guitar-bros like Rhett Shull, and their opinions on drum sounds (gosh what a boring guy Rhett is).
I just don’t love him or fawn over him like everyone else seems to. There’s a YouTuber called Pat Finnerty who does brilliant videos, and he teases Rick Beato and his format.. he even says in one of his vids ‘I’m not sure about that guy’. It was such a relief to know I’m not alone.
Not everyone has to love this bloke just because he talks about the music we like.
I dislike his guitar playing, it’s this reverb soaked modal fusion but with none of the bite of a Larry Carlton.

I don’t even agree with all his theory. He did a video on Rocketman by Elton and I feel his interpretation of the key centre is a bit… weird.

he also did a Alex Van Halen snare sound video, and didn’t get anywhere near haha, but that’s beside the point.

im aware of his producer credentials, he produced a pop country hit in the 2000s. Ok..? And? I’ve heard his original stuff, and let’s just say there’s probably a reason he’s a YouTube and not a rockstar.

I do like hearing multitracks of songs I like, but frankly there are more and more ‘deconstructed’ vids coming to YouTube. I get real Cult of Personality vibes from Beato. All the cork-sniffing nerds in the comments calling him the ‘saviour of music’.. what is that about? 

to me, it’s the equivalent of a football commentator being afforded the same praise as Messi. Makes no sense. 

he seems to be into himself and his personality is annoying, sometimes he's kissing the ass of his guests. I feel like I need to endure his style in order to get what I consider good from his content which is mostly the interviews but he knows enough about theory and how to do his thing. Definitely not for everyone. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Billy Cundy said:

wrong. I’ve watched a lot of Beato’s videos. From his early WMTSG content to his interviews with Sting and Lukather. I’ve also endured the moments he’s subjected us to his fellow guitar-bros like Rhett Shull, and their opinions on drum sounds (gosh what a boring guy Rhett is).

im aware of his producer credentials, he produced a pop country hit in the 2000s. Ok..? And? I’ve heard his original stuff, and let’s just say there’s probably a reason he’s a YouTuber and not a rockstar.

Some fair points. Certainly not everyone is going to like every video, or even a particular YouTube channel. I have found that Beato's info meshes well with what I know about music, and I think the channel's great and entertaining. Love the interviews, too. Not familiar with Rhett, but Beato did introduce me to Tim Pierce who is awesome in his own right. What a career he's had as a session musician! Brilliant player too.

Anyway, the point here isn't about Rick Beato himself, per se. The point is that no one, including Pat Finnerty, or anyone else, can use a small clip of a GNR song without the video immediately being blocked and taken down, with a potential strike on the channel. Even if it's an educational video, if it's brilliant, says nothing but great things about the song, or introduces thousands of kids to the song or band. 

I posted because I think some people commenting in this thread (not you) think this is about making money off the artist. Now of course anyone trying to make a living on YouTube wants to make money, just like any other job. It takes a shitload of work to make these videos. But if someone makes one about a GNR song and it gets de-monetized, GNR and/or the label would receive the associated ad revenue instead. And Beato doesn't have any issues with that at all. 

Some people joke they're afraid to even say the words "Hotel California" on YouTube for fear of having the video blocked. Don Henley is an incredible songwriter, but also a well-known douchebag and negative asshole. Probably walking around his mansion right now muttering about people trying to rip him off. It's fucking stupid. And costing himself money in the end. 

It's mostly older bands that have this attitude. Sometimes it's the label (especially a small label working with older bands), and the artist may not even be aware. This has happened a couple of times with Beato, where an artist heard a video got blocked, and had the policy changed.

It just seems hard to believe that Guns n' Roses doesn't believe in this idiotic policy, and would like to make more money on YouTube, and wants more young people learn about their music. Yet continue to allow many videos to be blocked on YouTube based on the actions of one deranged lunatic. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, axlsalinger said:

Some fair points. Certainly not everyone is going to like every video, or even a particular YouTube channel. I have found that Beato's info meshes well with what I know about music, and I think the channel's great and entertaining. Love the interviews, too. Not familiar with Rhett, but Beato did introduce me to Tim Pierce who is awesome in his own right. What a career he's had as a session musician! Brilliant player too.

Anyway, the point here isn't about Rick Beato himself, per se. The point is that no one, including Pat Finnerty, or anyone else, can use a small clip of a GNR song without the video immediately being blocked and taken down, with a potential strike on the channel. Even if it's an educational video, if it's brilliant, says nothing but great things about the song, or introduces thousands of kids to the song or band. 

I posted because I think some people commenting in this thread (not you) think this is about making money off the artist. Now of course anyone trying to make a living on YouTube wants to make money, just like any other job. It takes a shitload of work to make these videos. But if someone makes one about a GNR song and it gets de-monetized, GNR and/or the label would receive the associated ad revenue instead. And Beato doesn't have any issues with that at all. 

Some people joke they're afraid to even say the words "Hotel California" on YouTube for fear of having the video blocked. Don Henley is an incredible songwriter, but also a well-known douchebag and negative asshole. Probably walking around his mansion right now muttering about people trying to rip him off. It's fucking stupid. And costing himself money in the end. 

It's mostly older bands that have this attitude. Sometimes it's the label (especially a small label working with older bands), and the artist may not even be aware. This has happened a couple of times with Beato, where an artist heard a video got blocked, and had the policy changed.

It just seems hard to believe that Guns n' Roses doesn't believe in this idiotic policy, and would like to make more money on YouTube, and wants more young people learn about their music. Yet continue to allow many videos to be blocked on YouTube based on the actions of one deranged lunatic. 

In defence of Don Henley (i imagine I’ve already lost a few people saying that)…but…. it’s his song. I believe that he, Felder and Glenn Frey, no matter how you feel about them, should have complete control over how their music is used. I’d agree that the battle is already lost - music is so devalued that Rick Beato doing his little vid isn’t going to result in any great loss of income.. Pandora’s box is already open. In fact, you’re right, might do them some good: the odd Gen Z bedroom guitarist might watch Rick’s analysis and go on to stream Hotel Cali 1000000000 times …. and make the Eagles 0.04 cents to split between them.

unfortunately, browbeating and bullying artists and labels into ‘getting with the times’ has resulted in the slow death of the recording industry. We all hated Lars Ulrich after Napster-gate, but look at the industry now. Gone are the rock stars. Money made from album sales gave the labels the budgets to take a chance on lunatics like GNR and pair them with professionals like Clink… and create incredible art. but the moneys dried up. Now, academics like Rick Beato, who deliver post-mortems on the once profitable art of album-making, are our new heroes. Hooray. 

Im not a fan, but I know Beato’s intentions are mostly good. Im sure there’s some (a lot) of ego and careerism in there too. Who can blame him? But frankly, I don’t blame Henley and the labels clinging onto their rights. I was called a sycophant earlier in the thread, but my allegiance is forever with the artist, the art, and the business model that sustains MUSIC, rather than talking about music. You can’t have your first dance at a wedding to Rick Beato prattling on about sus chords and compression.

I have to say though; I agree - Tim Pierce fucking rocks. Such a dude. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

unfortunately, browbeating and bullying artists and labels into ‘getting with the times’ has resulted in the slow death of the recording industry. We all hated Lars Ulrich after Napster-gate, but look at the industry now. Gone are the rock stars. Money made from album sales gave the labels the budgets to take a chance on lunatics like GNR and pair them with professionals like Clink… and create incredible art. but the moneys dried up. Now, academics like Rick Beato, who deliver post-mortems on the once profitable art of album-making, are our new heroes. Hooray. 

Disagree. The business model from the recording industry was always about the labels, not the artist. Should we have millionaires assholes saying what we should listen? Sure the all free approach from Napster did some harm, but I believe the majority of the bands are doing fine as long as they keep it relevant. Which GNR is losing because of the very reason Beato pointed out: if you block even the fair use of the song, you're only hurting your own legacy. 

I mean, you can dislike the guy and disagree with him, but it is a fact that people like Jimi Hendrix are being forgotten. And, like @axlsalinger said already, it's not about YouTube channels profiting with other people music, it's about denying to even covering the song. That's what happened to me, by the way. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

In defence of Don Henley (i imagine I’ve already lost a few people saying that)…but…. it’s his song. I believe that he, Felder and Glenn Frey, no matter how you feel about them, should have complete control over how their music is used. I’d agree that the battle is already lost - music is so devalued that Rick Beato doing his little vid isn’t going to result in any great loss of income.. Pandora’s box is already open. In fact, you’re right, might do them some good: the odd Gen Z bedroom guitarist might watch Rick’s analysis and go on to stream Hotel Cali 1000000000 times …. and make the Eagles 0.04 cents to split between them.

Im not a fan, but I know Beato’s intentions are mostly good. Im sure there’s some (a lot) of ego and careerism in there too. Who can blame him? But frankly, I don’t blame Henley and the labels clinging onto their rights. I was called a sycophant earlier in the thread, but my allegiance is forever with the artist, the art, and the business model that sustains MUSIC, rather than talking about music. You can’t have your first dance at a wedding to Rick Beato prattling on about sus chords and compression.

I have to say though; I agree - Tim Pierce fucking rocks. Such a dude. 

Ah yes, the poor recording industry. All those wonderful people at record labels giving artists fair contracts and proper compensation for all those years...

The music industry is certainly fucked, some of it their own doing ... and there are many, many reasons for this, but absolutely none of them are Rick Beato videos. 

No one is saying that Don Henley or whoever should not have control over their music. We both strongly support artists and their art, just happen to disagree on this one point i guess. i am arguing they would get more money AND more recognition for their art and hopefully a new generation of fans by removing these outdated and dimwitted blocking policies. Nobody buys albums anymore, so this is how it works now. People learn about your band online and eventually listen to your songs, and hopefully become a fan and buy a ticket to a show.

i mean if you were having the first dance at your wedding to an Eagles song and Don Henley walked by, he would probably run in, unplug the speakers and scream at you for playing his song without compensating him!

Edited by axlsalinger
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Disagree. The business model from the recording industry was always about the labels, not the artist. Should we have millionaires assholes saying what we should listen? Sure the all free approach from Napster did some harm, but I believe the majority of the bands are doing fine as long as they keep it relevant. Which GNR is losing because of the very reason Beato pointed out: if you block even the fair use of the song, you're only hurting your own legacy. 

I mean, you can dislike the guy and disagree with him, but it is a fact that people like Jimi Hendrix are being forgotten. And, like @axlsalinger said already, it's not about YouTube channels profiting with other people music, it's about denying to even covering the song. That's what happened to me, by the way. 

Labels were just banks who’d loan/invest in artists, and lend enough money to produce a product. Yeah it wasn’t perfect, but when every fucker was dropping £10 on a record, they made enough money to send artists to amazing studios, and pair them with brilliant producers, engineers and other creatives. Quincy Jones had the budget to call David Paich, Greg Phillinganes, and Steve Lukather - he could pay them to get ‘em into the studio and help record Thriller. Then he could pay a genius like Bruce Swidene to engineer it. Those days are gone. 

They also made enough money to take risks on lunatics like GNR if they saw potential. NOW - you have to either look like Dua Lipa or be crushingly obedient and ‘safe’ before a label will even drop a penny on you… they just don’t have the money to take a risk. And even if you do look like Harry Styles, your first song has to be a hit - or you’re out. 

people get through the net - Haim, 1975, Wet Leg, Royal Blood etc…. But they aren't invested in the same way, they’re destined to tour incessantly to make any cash. 

The ‘evil label’ model allowed for a band like Steely Dan to create some of the most jaw dropping pop music ever committed to tape, played by the most jaw dropping musicians, without ever needing them to tour. Those days are over.

PS.. I have also had a cover of Hotel California taken down by YouTube. I spent ages getting two good takes, editing a splitscreen.. and it got taken down.  I didn’t intend to profit on it… BUT ITS NOT MY SONG. Not gonna be butt hurt when I have no real claim to it.

17 hours ago, axlsalinger said:

Ah yes, the poor recording industry. All those wonderful people at record labels giving artists fair contracts and proper compensation for all those years...

The music industry is certainly fucked, some of it their own doing ... and there are many, many reasons for this, but absolutely none of them are Rick Beato videos. 

No one is saying that Don Henley or whoever should not have control over their music. We both strongly support artists and their art, just happen to disagree on this one point i guess. i am arguing they would get more money AND more recognition for their art and hopefully a new generation of fans by removing these outdated and dimwitted blocking policies. Nobody buys albums anymore, so this is how it works now. People learn about your band online and eventually listen to your songs, and hopefully become a fan and buy a ticket to a show.

i mean if you were having the first dance at your wedding to an Eagles song and Don Henley walked by, he would probably run in, unplug the speakers and scream at you for playing his song without compensating him!

Commercial DJs pay a PPI fee/license so don would be  compensated. As he should be. 

Even if Beato’s cork sniffing has a positive effect on a band’s legacy (though I don’t think the Fuckin’ Beatles have much to worry about), I can’t help feel some of his content sucks the magic out of it. I do appreciate the interviews, I hope he carries on down that route… but I used to love pouring thru magazines to find tidbits about the amps used, fiddling on my amp to get the tones right, listening to the albums on repeat… Beato lays it all on plate for you and strips it bare. And then bitches if he can’t get what he wants. Is this concern for an artists legacy, or a content creator being aware that properties like the Beatles and GNR will generate massive viewership? Maybe I’m being a bit cynical but business is business after all. 

I think we are just of differing opinions on this. I see what you’re saying - but as I said.. criticising artists and labels for not ‘getting with the times’ has lead to streaming, and streaming, whilst good for the listener, has irreversibly stripped budgets for A&R and recording, and subsequently made labels more risk averse… meaning there is talent out there who will never achieve the potential they may have been afforded under the old regime. 

56 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

Labels were just banks who’d loan/invest in artists, and lend enough money to produce a product. Yeah it wasn’t perfect, but when every fucker was dropping £10 on a record, they made enough money to send artists to amazing studios, and pair them with brilliant producers, engineers and other creatives. Quincy Jones had the budget to call David Paich, Greg Phillinganes, and Steve Lukather - he could pay them to get ‘em into the studio and help record Thriller. Then he could pay a genius like Bruce Swidene to engineer it. Those days are gone. 

They also made enough money to take risks on lunatics like GNR if they saw potential. NOW - you have to either look like Dua Lipa or be crushingly obedient and ‘safe’ before a label will even drop a penny on you… they just don’t have the money to take a risk. And even if you do look like Harry Styles, your first song has to be a hit - or you’re out. 

people get through the net - Haim, 1975, Wet Leg, Royal Blood etc…. But they aren't invested in the same way, they’re destined to tour incessantly to make any cash. 

The ‘evil label’ model allowed for a band like Steely Dan to create some of the most jaw dropping pop music ever committed to tape, played by the most jaw dropping musicians, without ever needing them to tour. Those days are over.

PS.. I have also had a cover of Hotel California taken down by YouTube. I spent ages getting two good takes, editing a splitscreen.. and it got taken down.  I didn’t intend to profit on it… BUT ITS NOT MY SONG. Not gonna be butt hurt when I have no real claim to it.

Commercial DJs pay a PPI fee/license so don would be  compensated. As he should be. 

Even if Beato’s cork sniffing has a positive effect on a band’s legacy (though I don’t think the Fuckin’ Beatles have much to worry about), I can’t help feel some of his content sucks the magic out of it. I do appreciate the interviews, I hope he carries on down that route… but I used to love pouring thru magazines to find tidbits about the amps used, fiddling on my amp to get the tones right, listening to the albums on repeat… Beato lays it all on plate for you and strips it bare. And then bitches if he can’t get what he wants. Is this concern for an artists legacy, or a content creator being aware that properties like the Beatles and GNR will generate massive viewership? Maybe I’m being a bit cynical but business is business after all. 

I think we are just of differing opinions on this. I see what you’re saying - but as I said.. criticising artists and labels for not ‘getting with the times’ has lead to streaming, and streaming, whilst good for the listener, has irreversibly stripped budgets for A&R and recording, and subsequently made labels more risk averse… meaning there is talent out there who will never achieve the potential they may have been afforded under the old regime. 

This is a very Advanced Music Industry analysis and I applaud you. Agreed on all the points as well. I’ve literally never heard of Beato until the last few mins of reading this thread btw, and literally laugh out loud every time ANY band/label/mgmt company goes after content being used for exposure. Dealing with legacy acts on any level or form is like… yelling at clouds..

• Like 1