Independent: GN'R review, Glastonbury 2023: Frontrunners for the worst Glasto headline set of all time

4 minutes ago, Sausagebrain said:

About a year ago, Neil McCormick (who wrote the review of Guns at Glasto for The Telegraph) got heaps of abuse from fans of Blackpink because he only gave their album 4 out of 5. And the tone of that review was positive. 

So, if we are going to respond to Neil, let's at least be polite and constructive. The guy was only doing his job (although I agree that his comments about Axl's appearance were unnecessary). 

K-Pop fans are certified psychopaths.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ninjapie24 said:

Apparently the Independent gave arctic monkeys 5 stars. How much you want to bet that one was also written before the concert that I have heard no good things about 

Out of their tiny f****** minds to give that a 5 stars.

I think its been fairly unanimous that the AM set was boring, with shocking vocals (regardless of cause,on that night its not different to Axl being from his old best) and just a total lack of energy. Yet 5 stars.

GnR even taking away Axl issues had more energy in one song than AM entire set qnd had a very engaged crowd. 2 stars.

Its absurd, and perhaps they need a hard skool to teach them how to review properly because that shit isn't it.

• Like 1

I can't imagine people on the forum here stalking journalists that write a bad review, even if it's a shit biased review. I could imagine a certain type of fans do that, but not this forum. In fact, the consensus here seems to be to just ignore the overly bad reviews and not give him anymore attention. That seems to be the polar opposite of starting a hate campaign online. We're no GNR army here.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Seems like the reviews really made their rounds in the camp.Screenshot_20230628-143318.thumb.png.8569ac7e0668b5fd77851450a093fa85.png

It's also good to know that they are well aware that most of the reviews were positive (which makes the tweet thing even more ridiculous).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I agree this was unnecessary and redundant (probably TB's doing, since it was posted during showtime).

But there were a few folks on here who lamented the lack of controversy, how corporate GN'R has become and how impersonal their social media have been, etc. So there you have it now.

It would be awesome if we finally got another epic Axl rant during their next concert, followed with a segue into Double Talkin' Jive.

5 hours ago, Lio said:

I can't imagine people on the forum here stalking journalists that write a bad review, even if it's a shit biased review. I could imagine a certain type of fans do that, but not this forum. In fact, the consensus here seems to be to just ignore the overly bad reviews and not give him anymore attention. That seems to be the polar opposite of starting a hate campaign online. We're no GNR army here.

Probably because we're all old as shit. If this had happened back during the GNRonline days... holy hell lol

Edited by Nintari

One opinion in 60,000

It's not like the old days where music fans only got their news & opinions from magazines. The internet has made these critics less impactful.

These critics were more focussed on how "funny" they could bash the band than offer genuine criticism.  

Edited by Axl_morris
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Lio said:

Couldn't agree more. Thank you.

19 hours ago, Nintari said:

It would be awesome if we finally got another epic Axl rant during their next concert, followed with a segue into Double Talkin' Jive.

Correct me if I'm wrong,  but there were no rants since the reunion. I hope we won't get one now. 

I mean sure, it's funny and everything but it's one of the things that should stay in the past, imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, izzyjim said:

Correct me if I'm wrong,  but there were no rants since the reunion. I hope we won't get one now. 

I mean sure, it's funny and everything but it's one of the things that should stay in the past, imo.

I was attracted to GNR back in their prime because they weren't a predicable, by-the-numbers band. It was part of their appeal, and what helped make them so interesting. You were never in for a dull night out at a GNR concert, and you never knew what you were going to get, which made it so exciting. They were always in the middle of something, and demanded the world's attention, good or bad. So for me, the return of the Axl rants would be a much-welcomed dash of salt on top of what has become an otherwise bland lump of unseasoned mashed potatoes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lost un the jungle said:

Why in 2023 people care about a review? Just watch a damn clip and have your own opinion. GNR is not in 1993 anymore, but they put a good show, usually play for 3 hours and these old guys leave everything on the stage. You can like it or not, but the band doesn't suck and are worth to headline a festival.

A awful review like this is nothing particularly new, I think for the band they commented on it because it was pretty targeted. 

I have no issue with bad reviews, I give GNR shit reviews all the time😄

I don't think you can simply say everything was BS in those reviews though. Axl didn't sound horrendous, but he's a long shot from what he was and it is ok for people to say that.

18 hours ago, Nintari said:

So for me, the return of the Axl rants would be a much-welcomed dash of salt on top of what has become an otherwise bland lump of unseasoned mashed potatoes.

I can totally understand that, fair point!

I guess that my pov is more hopeful - no rants suggests that Axl is at a better place, or have "grown up", and maybe that means he'll move the fuck on and do something different with his music.

But that's a totally different conversation...

• Like 2

Axl, introducing Pretty Tied Up in Frankfurt: We've been accused of being misogynistic. But see, the song was based on an event where *the guy* was tied to the fucking ceiling. Not the girl, the guy. That just didn't look so good for us to sing about at the time (laughs) ... But writers... they know everything, right? (laughs)

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1