Independent: GN'R review, Glastonbury 2023: Frontrunners for the worst Glasto headline set of all time

5 hours ago, bumcheecksmcghee said:

Then you accept mediocrity an that's fine 🙂 

Nah. I just prefer a frontman who's somewhat performing and exciting and doesn't just stand there. And really, there is nothing that lifts Gallagher out of mediocrity.

• Like 1

That bullshit so called "review" was clearly written before the show even took place, want irrefutable proof? 

"Witness Axl berating a “syphilitic priestess” with a “p**** full of maggots” to visuals of a vomiting Medusa on “Absurd" 

Go back and watch Absurd from Glastonbury .. The Medusa video is no longer part of the backdrop, dont think it even has been since last year! 

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

5 hours ago, Fallen Angel said:

That bullshit so called "review" was clearly written before the show even took place, want irrefutable proof? 

"Witness Axl berating a “syphilitic priestess” with a “p**** full of maggots” to visuals of a vomiting Medusa on “Absurd" 

Go back and watch Absurd from Glastonbury .. The Medusa video is no longer part of the backdrop, dont think it even has been since last year! 

Jesus.  That is so bad.  I really hope this guy's called out for that somehow and asked to answer for his fake news.

A tad bit off topic, but I find it interesting how most (not all) of us--from the bitchers, to the nut-huggers, to everyone in between-- seem to come together and rally around the band when they're being unfairly attacked by "outsiders". It's sorta like that weird sibling thing, where you can hate their guts, but as soon as someone else does something hurtful to him, you go ape shit and straight into terminator, protector mode. haha

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Nintari said:

A tad bit off topic, but I find it interesting how most (not all) of us--from the bitchers, to the nut-huggers, to everyone in between-- seem to come together and rally around the band when they're being unfairly attacked by "outsiders". It's sorta like that weird sibling thing, where you can hate their guts, but as soon as someone else does something hurtful to him, you go ape shit and straight into terminator, protector mode. haha

Absolutelly 😄

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 5:14 AM, PatrickS77 said:

So what? But he's boring as hell. I'll take Axl's imperfections over the Liam Gallaghers of the world any time.

You can’t really compare the two. Liam Gallagher is and was a great singer but Oasis and GnR are different types of rock n roll bands. Axl’s of the howling screeching wailing school of frontmen. Robert Plant, Ian Gillan, Bon Scott those types of frontmen. Gallagher was never like that because Oasis were a very different band to GnR. His voice came from the Rotten, Slade, Lennon/Beatles school of frontmen.

I saw GnR in 92 & Oasis in 95 & 96. Both Axl and Liam were at their peaks in those years and they were equally brilliant. But different bands with different styles and songs just different vibes. It’s obvious which voice is easier to maintain as you get older so again no point in comparing them. 

Although most reviews were positive or at least balanced, sites like Blabbermouth, Yahoo etc. shared only the Independent one (probably because it was good for clickbait), so it became viral.

Of the 75 replies there is maybe just one that agrees with the review (granted, many of those who replied are probably GN'R diehards):

Who cares what some Journo says? 
From the 60s onwards there’s been some good Music Journalists and the rest (majority) have been terrible. Take that into account and the topic being subjective let them say what they will. One or two dickhead reviews amidst mostly balanced reviews tells its own story. 

People are allowed to not like GnR. 

I agree this was unnecessary and redundant (probably TB's doing, since it was posted during showtime).

But there were a few folks on here who lamented the lack of controversy, how corporate GN'R has become and how impersonal their social media have been, etc. So there you have it now.

• Like 2

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with everything here. There's valid points. But overall, this review is overly critical. I'm not sure that Axl of 2016 would have changed this guys mind all that much. To me this reads as someone getting assigned to review a band they don't enjoy. Not GNRs best show obviously from a musical standpoint, but they were more than entertaining for the most part. The title is just for reactions, and he has certainly got that reaction from GNR fans who have shared this numerous times, furthering his numbers. 

• Like 1

I agree they shouldn't give those reviewers the attention. They were obviously biased and were never going to like the show and wanted to come off the coolest guy in the class. But it's always been that way. With soms artists and reviewers, you can just predict it. They'll get a 5 star review every single time, each show seems to be perfect, while others will never get a positive review.

While I've been to many shows (not just GNR) and then got back and read reviews where I think: WTF? It's just one man's opinion and point of view.

I do think it's really stupid to write a review about a band or a singer you can't stand. Then you should be man enough to say to hand it to a more neutral person. Sadly, clickbait. Those ultra negative reviews get shared because people love bad news.

GNR and Axl should keep focusing on the good, lots of casuals are impressed and positive and lots of reviews were balanced, while still taking in valid criticism.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

This is the first time since 2016 that they respond publicly to negative reviews (it's addressed to The Independent and The Telegraph)

Sad to see the incompetent Fernando in control of the band's twitter and keeps posting cringy stuff like this.

That phrase in Chinese Democracy is about much deeper thoughts than using it for cheap bashing of two tabloid journalists.

Hey Fernando, let's do truth or dare. Can you even flip burgers at McDonalds? 

12 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

That's not Del James' Twitter :facepalm:

Ok corrected. But doesn't make any difference. 

The individuals surrounding Axl are exhibiting all the characteristics listed in a cult identification checklist. Same goes to some of the fans ^ LOL

Edited by ©GnrPersia

13 hours ago, Blackstar said:

This is the first time since 2016 that they respond publicly to negative reviews (it's addressed to The Independent and The Telegraph)

About a year ago, Neil McCormick (who wrote the review of Guns at Glasto for The Telegraph) got heaps of abuse from fans of Blackpink because he only gave their album 4 out of 5. And the tone of that review was positive. 

So, if we are going to respond to Neil, let's at least be polite and constructive. The guy was only doing his job (although I agree that his comments about Axl's appearance were unnecessary). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1