Independent: GN'R review, Glastonbury 2023: Frontrunners for the worst Glasto headline set of all time

These kind of reviews are usually less about the band and more about the writer and their ability to be a witty and sarcastic wordsmith.

Objectively, he does make some good points about Axl's voice and the band being a kind of caricature of themselves. Subjectively, I don't care though. They are still a great live band and their shows are so much fun. That's the most important thing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Reading some of these articles I genuinely think these "journalists" already had their minds made up

The worst, most heinous example of this I'd ever seen was the review for the Detroit (Auburn Hills) 02 show in which the author, shitting on the band the whole article, talked about the "boring Paradise City closer."  Ah yes, because it's not like the last song of the night was Patience, when, due to someone messing up the end (Robin, if memory serves), Axl tossed the mic up in the air right after saying "goodnight" after the final "this tiiiiime" or anything...  ::: rolls eyes/eternal facepalms, etc. :::

I think that's sadly a ton of journalism, as a craft, period.  It's biased and opinionated which, to a degree, okay understandable but when it's presented as though it's truth, it's just like, why?; how unfortunate for the world.   

• Like 2

I’ve seen this pile of shit review pop up in my feeds on Facebook this morning a few times by different media outlets and while I only read a handful of comments each time every one mentioned how good they thought GNR were and Axl still got a lot of praise for still bringing it at 61 years old. That was encouraging to read more than the click bait review. At the end of the day GNR have never been everyone’s cup of tea. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, 中国民主 said:

He may be 61, but he's not a construction worker, a plumber or a carpenter who has no choice but to work until he's 70. THEN you could say "cut him some slack, he's giving his all". No one is forcing him at gunpoint to keep performing.

And yet if he quit tomorrow people would be instantly demanding a comeback tour. He can't win

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 中国民主 said:

He may be 61, but he's not a construction worker, a plumber or a carpenter who has no choice but to work until he's 70. THEN you could say "cut him some slack, he's giving his all". No one is forcing him at gunpoint to keep performing. I strongly assume it's his free choice, knowing he sounds like a drowning fish. And he's charging money for that. So what the fuck were y'all even expecting. People must live in a parallel universe if they seriously thought the world would praise that performance. 

Are you suggesting he should stop touring when so many people attend the shows and have a great time? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 中国民主 said:

He may be 61, but he's not a construction worker, a plumber or a carpenter who has no choice but to work until he's 70. THEN you could say "cut him some slack, he's giving his all". No one is forcing him at gunpoint to keep performing. I strongly assume it's his free choice, knowing he sounds like a drowning fish. And he's charging money for that. So what the fuck were y'all even expecting. People must live in a parallel universe if they seriously thought the world would praise that performance. 

I think the trouble is, a lot of fans have become used to Axl's voice. It's kinda like a form of stockholm syndrome at this stage.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Or maybe some fans aren't whiny bitches and understand that axls voice will never be like in 92, but still can enjoy it for what it is. Especially with the effort he puts into his performances.

Oh, lighten up. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Or maybe some fans aren't whiny bitches and understand that axls voice will never be like in 92, but still can enjoy it for what it is. Especially with the effort he puts into his performances.

Then it should be free then??

Or by your logic, if a car is old, over its mileage, barely runs etc.. why would the seller or car yard charge an sell it at a premium price price still? And what.. just expect people to let it slide?

Lol.. still laughing at the effort into his performances part... 

Is that the same effort like slash puts into the Chinese songs on the setlist? 

🤷🤣

• Haha 2

Just now, bumcheecksmcghee said:

Then it should be free then??

Or by your logic, if a car is old, over its mileage, barely runs etc.. why would the seller or car yard charge an sell it at a premium price price still? And what.. just expect people to let it slide?

🤷🤣

Dumbest comparison I've ever read. Congrats 😂

• Like 1

The author of that article had clearly already decided to write a negative article weeks ago, it’s so full of hyperbole it’s almost comical. Maybe it’s for click bait, maybe he has some kind of personal agenda for whatever reason, but it’s a total trash.

As for worst headliner ever, Arctic Monkeys on Friday were universally panned for being boring and shit, the overall reception to Guns N Roses was mixed to positive from most people who didn’t already have a bee in their bonnet, so not even close to being worst this weekend let alone of all time 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Dumbest comparison I've ever read. Congrats 😂

Dumbest member I've ever come across in the forum... so congrats to you champ. 

Still talking shit to people on here an then getting called out on it I see.. haha love it.

I reckon you are Fernando's ghost account on here... reek of lil rich bitch boy 

Enjoy your night x 

👍😎

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Then you're dumb. Look at his performance vs. say Liam Gallagher. Yeah. The voice might not be all there, but he is still entertaining to watch and still does 3 hour shows. Also he is not alone on the stage. He still has a band with 2 original members that put on a great performance. At least great enough for the masses. The whiney bitches, who want to nitpick everything and want him to sound like in '92, where he often sounded bad too, just in a different way, apparently are a minority.

Least Liam can still hold a tune 🤷

Edited by bumcheecksmcghee

13 hours ago, allwaystired said:

How about letting the writer have a different opinion without screaming, swearing and abusing him? 

I know it's an old fashioned view that people may have differing views on things......

Whilst I agree with your overriding point - that review is a clear hatchet job. And almost all of the comments on the article say as much.

Criticism is good….you should learn from that….but that’s just a nonsense and reads more like he’s bitter because Axl or Slash (or both) had it off with his missus or something. 🤣

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, bumcheecksmcghee said:

Dumbest member I've ever come across in the forum... so congrats to you champ. 

Still talking shit to people on here an then getting called out on it I see.. haha love it.

I reckon you are Fernando's ghost account on here... reek of lil rich bitch boy 

Enjoy your night x 

👍😎

Someone's angry and bitter. Very cute. :lol:

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

Whilst I agree with your overriding point - that review is a clear hatchet job. And almost all of the comments on the article say as much.

Criticism is good….you should learn from that….but that’s just a nonsense and reads more like he’s bitter because Axl or Slash (or both) had it off with his missus or something. 🤣

Yeah, it is a bit over the top! 

8 hours ago, 中国民主 said:

Tons of people ARE praising his performamce though, because contrary to the drowning fish analogy, he actually sounded pretty good at Glastonbury and sounded good for a 61 rocker with a demanding vocal style