Slash and The Conspirators 2024 tour

38 minutes ago, Irish Rose said:

This link should work for everyone. Theres a few inaccuracies in the article. Especially the first paragraph. 

Slash featuring Myles Kennedy & the Conspirators review: treat of an encore brings night of foot-to-the-floor rock to an end – The Irish Times (archive.is)

Forgot how good "Fill My World" was. A security guard actually came up and asked me what the song was called.

That one was a surprise, didn't really like it on the album but it works well live. Myles asking in between lyrics if the dog on a fans phone was a shih tzu cracked me up🤣 

2 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Anyone going to Glasgow tonight? If so....have a great night! Bagged last minute pit tixs. Are there more than Wolfgang as support ? What time does Slash go on these days and end? 

Usually he opens the doors around seven, goes up on stage around nine. Rocking the shit until 11. Sipping a drink and feeling fine.

Seriously, it was like that in the past. I assume it’s still like that but somebody who attended a show this year can surely confirm.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Usually he opens the doors around seven, goes up on stage around nine. Rocking the shit until 11. Sipping a drink and feeling fine.

Seriously, it was like that in the past. I assume it’s still like that but somebody who attended a show this year can surely confirm.

Cheers 🍻 looking forward to it now after massive road delays...what's new. It's raining like cray cray !!!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Slash saw everyone else in Glasgow in top hats so he took his off and apparently "disappointed" fans...do the papers throw at a dartboafd when they NEED to create a headline? 

Inbetween right now...looking forward to it....hope sound picks up ...

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/12408616/slash-miles-kennedy-glasgow-hydro/

When leaving the hotel? He always wears the backwards trucker cap.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed the show I went to (Newcastle). Last time I saw Slash solo was Download Festival 2010. But yeah, great show.

I wish I'd gotten to hear him do a Snakepit song though. It's my favourite work of his outside GN'R.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kelmi said:

How was Glasgow? Setlist fm shows strange song order and short setlist. Was there some problems?

No no, show began at 8.38 (7 mins earlier than billed) and ended 10.56. full set! I'll comment on it properly later, Interesting show...a weird night in some ways....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, colonizedmind said:

Ok...

So my conclusion before my thoughts...I'm glad I went...in my head I wanted to go, I've just been out the gig game of late, after going to over a 100 a year for work/pleasure in recent past, it's been less of a thing of late ...

So my must see list has been much more diminished but I make an exception for Slash and a few others...I so appreciate those that still tour wide and cover all regions - as often older acts start to miss out areas as the years go on. I only needed one or two encouragement comments to dismantle my faux resistance to make the effort. 

So the Hydro was almost full (13,000) that's a good crowd to pull, especially sans the GNR material. I wonder how many attending are expecting to get GNR and Velvet tracks though?

By the crowd, I'd think a fair few...now he seems to be mixing arenas and smaller venues like you mentioned @allwaystiredin this run and I think for this kinda deep dive set, he needs to can the arenas and I hope since he said he'd be back very soon, he does theatre's for the Bluea tour! Only gate $$$ is the benefit of arena gigs - the atmosphere is never as good, weird isn't it...as you'd think 5 times + the crowd would be better! 

Wednesday night is probably literally the worst night for a rock gig! Bang in the middle of the week people are desperate to get to Friday! Most are middle-aged and have to be up the next day, so can't really let themselves go...and drink ! Which let's be honest, always brings the rowdiness and enthusiasm out most!

I enjoyed the show...I thought Mammoth were decent but his vocal needed a better place in the mix as he's got pipes as well as fret skills! 6 songs a bit short,  more like the amount an opener of a 3 bill gets...but oh well, meant Slash was on earlier and did almost 2 and half hours ..

The first half of the show, atmosphere wise was super subdued. It seemed to weird out Myles, who is probably used to getting great crowds in Scotland most times,.especially when he's played in smaller places with Alter Bridge and solo. He disappeared at one point and came out with a fresh t-shirt saying "Grumpy" and after 3,4 songs began an open monologue he returned to several times...in a typically, Myles, let's not be rude to the audience kinda way, he was saying *Wake The Fuck Up*. ...

He said firstly "Are you having a good time".- asked in an unsure manor and quite surprised when the loudest cheers of the night greeted that question. He asked it again 3 or 4 times...

He tried several times to get folk to sing along in that first half but he wasn't getting anything back, they either didn't know the songs or didn't want to let themselves brace the night (yet...)

He then said after "Starlight" (rather than before - which confused me) "Ya know, I love getting to do what I do and the best feeling in the world, is when people sing with you and rock out with you....Don't be afraid to get your phone light out, dance, sing and have a good time with us"...he seemed a bit pleading but in a roundabout non confrontational way. 

Slash is seemingly unaware, as he's just in the fucking zone...you can go to this gig as you love the SMKC catalogue or you can just go and watch/study and be mesmerized by Slash's skills all night...he never stopped, how much does he burn a show, you think? His finger muscles must be fucking ripped! 🤘

He even though seemed to want to push through and get the casuals more on side as he whipped out (I'm sure every night) a 15 minute version of "Wicked Stone" that seemed to be a marathon but he really was going crazy...he broke two strings on his guitar but then went to lower notes instead and just kept going....like he wanted to smoke his entire guitar by the end of this tune! Everyone could see the string break on the big screens (being an arena they had two at this one - I've seen others complain at the lack of them elsewhere?) and it seemed to warm the crowd up and from then on the phone lights went on, the clapping was way more prolific and there was some singing and call and response with Myles too...

I will say, Todd is just naturally much more of a character and charismatic frontman, really takes his 3 opportunities epically (what pipes and last minute of DDM was like 90s Axl!) And he gets a much louder cheers than any Myles moment. Shame, as Myles is a well trained rock singer, who's very consistence, if slightly ungainly and unremarkable as a frontman. Just my opinion. Probably the perfect foil, to not overshadow what and who is top billing here....🎩

I liked the left field change of pace with the "Rocket Man" cover (biggest sing-a-long all night too) - I think another couple of those moments would benefit the show but it was cool to see Slash on a lap steel...it's like he became Gilmour for 5 mlnutes...

So that's 10 years on from seeing Slash solo last time and whats happened to crowds post pandemic? Like 10 years ago, ok granted, they knew half the set fully and song choices do absolutely (no shit!) make a big atmosphere difference... however 10 years ago, the same SMKC material also got huge response and there were lots of moshing and pits throughout....literally none of that last night and Myles bewildered a.bit and trying politely to encourage participation...Super static and polite applause, mostly.

Is that what all rock acts are getting these days, away from rock festivals and other prime audience locations? 🫤a

Decent review there- I did have those fears with him doing Arenas. It doesn't feel like an Arena show to me. 

Interesting about the crowd- I saw GNR in Glasgow last year and it was one of the flattest, quietest, most bland crowds I've ever been in, which was bizarre given Scotland's reputation and the fact pit tickets were so expensive. Perhaps things are changing up in Scotland in regards to crowds? 

21 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Decent review there- I did have those fears with him doing Arenas. It doesn't feel like an Arena show to me. 

Interesting about the crowd- I saw GNR in Glasgow last year and it was one of the flattest, quietest, most bland crowds I've ever been in, which was bizarre given Scotland's reputation and the fact pit tickets were so expensive. Perhaps things are changing up in Scotland in regards to crowds? 

I do think the invention of the smart phone was the worst and best thing for concerts EVER!

Also, venue matters, certain places STILL bring the good crowds and atmosphere....they are rarely arenas and certainly not stadiums.

I think as Bruce was saying in a article earlier this week...."I wouldn't pay a grand to see U2 live"...(Or anyone) 

Pricing lots of enthusiast fans out....

Prices have gone totally nuts,.since unless you're a top 20 artist....touring IS the music industry and music,.the excuse, rather than art, to do it....

• Like 3

That noodle went on forever.  Felt like half an hour and I love a long Slash noodle. As long as there’s just one.   Myles said he was getting a great vibe from the Brum crowd, although I didn’t feel it myself where I was.  But he seemed really in tune with it and said so a few times.  

3 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Ok...

So my conclusion before my thoughts...I'm glad I went...in my head I wanted to go, I've just been out the gig game of late, after going to over a 100 a year for work/pleasure in recent past, it's been less of a thing of late ...

So my must see list has been much more diminished but I make an exception for Slash and a few others...I so appreciate those that still tour wide and cover all regions - as often older acts start to miss out areas as the years go on. I only needed one or two encouragement comments to dismantle my faux resistance to make the effort. 

So the Hydro was almost full (13,000) that's a good crowd to pull, especially sans the GNR material. I wonder how many attending are expecting to get GNR and Velvet tracks though?

By the crowd, I'd think a fair few...now he seems to be mixing arenas and smaller venues like you mentioned @allwaystiredin this run and I think for this kinda deep dive set, he needs to can the arenas and I hope since he said he'd be back very soon, he does theatre's for the Bluea tour! Only gate $$$ is the benefit of arena gigs - the atmosphere is never as good, weird isn't it...as you'd think 5 times + the crowd would be better! 

Wednesday night is probably literally the worst night for a rock gig! Bang in the middle of the week people are desperate to get to Friday! Most are middle-aged and have to be up the next day, so can't really let themselves go...and drink ! Which let's be honest, always brings the rowdiness and enthusiasm out most!

I enjoyed the show...I thought Mammoth were decent but his vocal needed a better place in the mix as he's got pipes as well as fret skills! 6 songs a bit short,  more like the amount an opener of a 3 bill gets...but oh well, meant Slash was on earlier and did almost 2 and half hours ..

The first half of the show, atmosphere wise was super subdued. It seemed to weird out Myles, who is probably used to getting great crowds in Scotland most times,.especially when he's played in smaller places with Alter Bridge and solo. He disappeared at one point and came out with a fresh t-shirt saying "Grumpy" and after 3,4 songs began an open monologue he returned to several times...in a typically, Myles, let's not be rude to the audience kinda way, he was saying *Wake The Fuck Up*. ...

He said firstly "Are you having a good time".- asked in an unsure manor and quite surprised when the loudest cheers of the night greeted that question. He asked it again 3 or 4 times...

He tried several times to get folk to sing along in that first half but he wasn't getting anything back, they either didn't know the songs or didn't want to let themselves brace the night (yet...)

He then said after "Starlight" (rather than before - which confused me) "Ya know, I love getting to do what I do and the best feeling in the world, is when people sing with you and rock out with you....Don't be afraid to get your phone light out, dance, sing and have a good time with us"...he seemed a bit pleading but in a roundabout non confrontational way. 

Slash is seemingly unaware, as he's just in the fucking zone...you can go to this gig as you love the SMKC catalogue or you can just go and watch/study and be mesmerized by Slash's skills all night...he never stopped, how much does he burn a show, you think? His finger muscles must be fucking ripped! 🤘

He even though seemed to want to push through and get the casuals more on side as he whipped out (I'm sure every night) a 15 minute version of "Wicked Stone" that seemed to be a marathon but he really was going crazy...he broke two strings on his guitar but then went to lower notes instead and just kept going....like he wanted to smoke his entire guitar by the end of this tune! Everyone could see the string break on the big screens (being an arena they had two at this one - I've seen others complain at the lack of them elsewhere?) and it seemed to warm the crowd up and from then on the phone lights went on, the clapping was way more prolific and there was some singing and call and response with Myles too...

I will say, Todd is just naturally much more of a character and charismatic frontman, really takes his 3 opportunities epically (what pipes and last minute of DDM was like 90s Axl!) And he gets a much louder cheers than any Myles moment. Shame, as Myles is a well trained rock singer, who's very consistence, if slightly ungainly and unremarkable as a frontman. Just my opinion. Probably the perfect foil, to not overshadow what and who is top billing here....🎩

I liked the left field change of pace with the "Rocket Man" cover (biggest sing-a-long all night too) - I think another couple of those moments would benefit the show but it was cool to see Slash on a lap steel...it's like he became Gilmour for 5 mlnutes...

So that's 10 years on from seeing Slash solo last time and whats happened to crowds post pandemic? Like 10 years ago, ok granted, they knew half the set fully and song choices do absolutely (no shit!) make a big atmosphere difference... however 10 years ago, the same SMKC material also got huge response and there were lots of moshing and pits throughout....literally none of that last night and Myles bewildered a.bit and trying politely to encourage participation...Super static and polite applause, mostly.

Is that what all rock acts are getting these days, away from rock festivals and other prime audience locations? 🫤a

Just in relation to your point that "So that's 10 years on from seeing Slash solo last time and whats happened to crowds post pandemic? Like 10 years ago, ok granted, they knew half the set fully and song choices do absolutely (no shit!) make a big atmosphere difference... however 10 years ago, the same SMKC material also got huge response and there were lots of moshing and pits throughout....literally none of that last night"

I went back and looked at the setlist of a Slash show that I attended in 2014 and that I also remember getting a huge response. One thing I noticed is that there was at most four Slash solo songs between GNR songs. So there was a constant infusion of energy, even if people didn't know the Slash songs.

Looking at the songs that were frontloaded in Dublin they played Driving Rain, Halo, Whatever gets you by, the path less followed, actions speak much louder than words. Some of these songs I like. They're also very tonally and structurally similar and also on spotify have got some of the least streams out of any Slash songs. So I'm not totally surprised they created a subdued atmosphere even if they were intended to have the opposite effect.

I think what I'd do if I was the band would be to mix Slash a lot higher and have a lot more space in the music. I'd be doing a bit less dense hard rock and more things like obsession/confession. I guess I want to hear things like the solo to Serial Killer and I think people would respond really well to that even if they'd never heard it before. So give me that Slash.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Ok...

Agree with basically everything you said!

Yeah Todd kinda steals the show, he just comes on with that 80s rock attitude "Come on you fuckers", I think he could probably take a few more songs in the set. I'm positive Myles would not mind and it would give him a chance to play some more guitar or just have a break. Myles is just not your typical rock showman, he's not going to do all that stuff... 

Also thought Myles was a little take aback in Dublin with the audience at least initially. The crowd got into it, but it took a minute! I could a look of "is this going to be a REALLY long night" on his face after a few of the earlier songs. They should probably change out those intro songs. River is rising is not an opener, it's a lead single form the album so I guess they feel they need to play it but it has no impact. Come on strong (world on fire, Avalon etc.) so difficult to gain ground after a false start.

• Like 1