Perhaps - August 18. UPDATE IV: A New Hope (Radio Premiere Tomorrow?)

27 minutes ago, Naupis said:

There was a time they were better than this.

I like what you did there.... "there was a time"....... I too think this is gnr's best song.......

Na but seriously, this piecemeal approach w/ last 3 songs, weakens the brand name and doesn't live up to the quality of old imo. And I love CD, it's my 'go too' gnr record, but these singles just suck. 

Edited by jimisbatman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't believe if you ask the general public who they want playing guitar on a Guns N Roses song that they will say "I don't care, just have a good solo." 

Yeah no they'll take hearing Axl with Slash 99.99% of the time over random guitarists. And that's who guys like Robin are to them, random guys who filled in for Slash, they don't want his shit anywhere near a new GNR single.

Hah, Robin is no random guitarist. Axl, the perfectionist, recruited the best of the best for NuGNR, only to fuck them over in 2002. The "general public" are people who don't keep up or really follow Guns N' Roses, but, if they hear the song, "Perhaps", with the Robin solo, they may think, "wow, that is a really good solo". They may think it's from Slash, who knows. I don't think they are going to change their mind if they find out it's not by Slash.

38 minutes ago, DannyVinyard said:

Then maybe he shouldn't have replaced it? What I'd like to know is what the hell is Axl thinking in green lighting this garbage Slash solo over Robin's perfect solo? Make it make sense. 

I like Slash's solo more than Robin's solo personally - excluding the odd inclusion of the start of Robin's solo on the new version

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DannyVinyard said:

That's because you have your head in Slash's ass.

I have my head in his ass because I enjoy this solo in a case-by-case way more than I do Robin's? Okay dude :lol:

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Naupis said:

Frankly I am disappointed in all of them for releasing this series of half ass songs under the guise of being new "real" GNR songs when the quality level is no where near what people would have expected and hoped for getting Axl/Slash on a song together again.

The idea that they are content to put the GNR brand name on left over B-sides from the CD Sessions as their big post reunion releases frankly is kind of embarrassing compared to the level of quality people would expect who didn't know the whole back story about why these songs even exist.

Slash has no interest quite clearly in stuff that's been sitting around for 2 decades and clearly is just going along to get along. That's actually in character for him.

Axl is the one I am dumbfounded is OK with being as creatively backrupt as he is right now while he just milks the back catalog with endless tours. He always held himself out as being above that type of approach. That he has essentially spent 25 years now with nothing to say creatively in terms of new music (even the new releases are all old) is about the last thing I would have ever expected if you had asked me in 1995 what his career arc would look like.

We haven't had new music from Axl and Slash in 30 years and yet they are OK releasing stuff like Hard Skool, Silkworms and Perhaps like those in any way stand up to the level of quality people were so desperately hoping would come from a reunion.

The whole thing just makes me sad from the piece meal approach to the going through the motions. 

Axl has become Billy Joel. A nostalgia act.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

They will play Welcome to the Jungle 4th instead of 3rd. Gonna be a special FN night.

Biggest surprise for you is that isn't played 4th at all , or 3rd & hasn't all tour 

Edited by DSTK

44 minutes ago, DannyVinyard said:

Then maybe he shouldn't have replaced it? What I'd like to know is what the hell is Axl thinking in green lighting this garbage Slash solo over Robin's perfect solo? Make it make sense. 

The only reason they’re releasing this is because Axl can’t be bothered to do anything new. Fucking guy can’t even get off his ass to write an appropriate amount of verses. He’s just looking for cash grabs that don’t require anything outside of doing Mickey karaoke on stage. 

Robin’s perfect solo? Give me a fucking break. Slash’s uninspired (the situation is uninspired due to Axl) solo isn’t great, but you’re delusional. 

1 minute ago, DSTK said:

Throw elton, the stones etc into that category..but still well worth watching 

Absolutely. The difference is that Elton and the Stones release albums every so often, hit status notwithstanding. I don't think anyone thought A Bigger Bang would rival Sticky Fingers, but it was fun.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Naupis said:

Frankly I am disappointed in all of them for releasing this series of half ass songs under the guise of being new "real" GNR songs when the quality level is no where near what people would have expected and hoped for getting Axl/Slash on a song together again.

The idea that they are content to put the GNR brand name on left over B-sides from the CD Sessions as their big post reunion releases frankly is kind of embarrassing compared to the level of quality people would expect who didn't know the whole back story about why these songs even exist.

Slash has no interest quite clearly in stuff that's been sitting around for 2 decades and clearly is just going along to get along. That's actually in character for him.

Axl is the one I am dumbfounded is OK with being as creatively backrupt as he is right now while he just milks the back catalog with endless tours. He always held himself out as being above that type of approach. That he has essentially spent 25 years now with nothing to say creatively in terms of new music (even the new releases are all old) is about the last thing I would have ever expected if you had asked me in 1995 what his career arc would look like.

We haven't had new music from Axl and Slash in 30 years and yet they are OK releasing stuff like Hard Skool, Silkworms and Perhaps like those in any way stand up to the level of quality people were so desperately hoping would come from a reunion.

The whole thing just makes me sad from the piece meal approach to the going through the motions. 

Very well put. 

16 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

The only reason they’re releasing this is because Axl can’t be bothered to do anything new. Fucking guy can’t even get off his ass to write an appropriate amount of verses. He’s just looking for cash grabs that don’t require anything outside of doing Mickey karaoke on stage. 

Robin’s perfect solo? Give me a fucking break. Slash’s uninspired (the situation is uninspired due to Axl) solo isn’t great, but you’re delusional. 

Hey, no disagreement here with your first paragraph. I think Robin's solo is perfect as it smoothly goes with the flow of the song. I have zero issues with it and would rate it 10 out of 10. So, if I am delusional, what issues do you have with Robin's solo. What makes it less than perfect? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DannyVinyard said:

Hey, no disagreement here with your first paragraph. I think Robin's solo is perfect as it smoothly goes with the flow of the song. I have zero issues with it and would rate it 10 out of 10. So, if I am delusional, what issues do you have with Robin's solo. What makes it less than perfect? 

I generally like his work (Better solo for example), but the Perhaps solo wasn’t anything that memorable to me. 

38 minutes ago, kever20 said:

Absolutely. The difference is that Elton and the Stones release albums every so often, hit status notwithstanding. I don't think anyone thought A Bigger Bang would rival Sticky Fingers, but it was fun.

Neither have released anything good for 20 plus years 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DSTK said:

Neither have released anything good for 20 plus years 

Have you heard any Elton material in the 21st Century?  "The Captain & The Kid" from 2006 as well as "The Union" with Leon Russell in 2010 and "The Diving Board" from 2013 are all great albums and have a lot of heartfelt moments and decent compositions

I also quite liked "Blue & Lonesome" from The Stones in 2016, which granted is an album of blues covers but the performances are great and it is technically a release from them in some form

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Ak1nney said:

Robin's solos on the Chinese Democracy album are pretty much flawless and fucking amazing work (and are a big reason I revisit the album). I think people just bash him on here because he changed up some of the classics' solos, especially when they did that first GNR tour. That's not fair to his playing on the CD album. He lays down memorable and perfectly executed leads on Better, Street of Dreams, TWAT, This I Love, etc. I can't imagine those songs with better solos on them and Slash never did top them in all of his live improvs. I definitely like Slash more all around, but I don't think it's fair to be bashing on Finck.

I really like and from all GN'R Guitar players he's the closest to Slash sound somehow

• Like 1

Just now, WhazUp said:

Have you heard any Elton material in the 21st Century?  "The Captain & The Kid" from 2006 as well as "The Union" with Leon Russell in 2010 and "The Diving Board" from 2013 are all great albums and have a lot of heartfelt moments and decent compositions

I also quite liked "Blue & Lonesome" from The Stones in 2016, which granted is an album of blues covers but the performances are great and it is technically a release from them in some form

Agree. But I think, similar to gnr, no matter how good it is (it could be better than anything off AFD or UYI) nobody will give a shit what a band in their legacy years releases. Maybe thats why they chose to release the mostly written and done Chinese outtakes. It doesn’t matter what they put out, none of it will hit at this point anyway.

Record a shitty solo? Wouldn’t even matter if it was good 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, agustingloger said:

I really like and from all GN'R Guitar players he's the closest to Slash sound somehow

I agree but he also contributed greatly to the nu gnr sound. I see him and Slash as the main two lead guitarist in gnr as far as sound goes 

I’ve always seen buckets playing as novelty. It’s like GNR featuring Bucket because his playing is so fucking insane that it’s sort of out of place for Guns but also really cool nonetheless 

44 minutes ago, Ak1nney said:

Robin's solos on the Chinese Democracy album are pretty much flawless and fucking amazing work (and are a big reason I revisit the album). I think people just bash him on here because he changed up some of the classics' solos, especially when they did that first GNR tour. That's not fair to his playing on the CD album. He lays down memorable and perfectly executed leads on Better, Street of Dreams, TWAT, This I Love, etc. I can't imagine those songs with better solos on them and Slash never did top them in all of his live improvs. I definitely like Slash more all around, but I don't think it's fair to be bashing on Finck.

Preach, brother. Robin is an amazing player. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Blue & lonesome was crap, saw the stones in 2018 in Manchester & nobody seemed to know the track they played off it...irrelevant twoddle compared to what they're great at , they can't get away with releasing 'let's spend the night together' as a single in 2019 and claiming that one haha

Elton , nothing good for years, still a class act live & I'm glad I've seen him a few times, the stones too...nostalgia or not, great shows , but again, what they've released over 20 years or so isn't anything memorable 

Releasing music doesn't make money, touring does 

Edited by DSTK