Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

Just now, Sweersa said:

Do you honestly believe the few songs we got on CD that were not in the Village leaks were all the band has worked on from 2001-2014?

No not at all, there's probably dozens more instrumentals recorded up until 2006!

Vocally though, nothing apart from a few touch ups in 2007 I'd wager. 

1 hour ago, Martin Riggs said:

According to a press release, per Audacy, the song was “written and recorded by Axl Rose, Slash, and Duff McKagan this year,” and marks their “first collective new composition and recording together in 30 years”

The band released this statement?

How on Earth could they call this a new composition?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Well the band is trying to claim the big 3 wrote/recorded this song together this year! Maybe some vocals were recent. He was pictured in a studio wasn’t he?

Yeah, but theoretically he could have just been listening to the mix. If he recorded anything, I suspect it was the low parts in the chorus. 

5 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

The band released this statement?

How on Earth could they call this a new composition?

just look at them and then contemplate if your question is even necessary.

anyway. I like drums on this, and I also like rhytm guitars - both drums and rhytm guitars have cool fills which make it enjoyable to listen.

bass is thick, good.

vocals are... basically the same as in the old version, they are OK, no Mickey. I do hate the added whining with passion though, especially that shit between 2:18 and 2:28 is utter shit

"guitar solo" sucks hard. I prefer the original Robin Finck's solo, which is still partly left on this - too bad he's uncredited.

I haven't heard it in HD quality yet, but vocally I can see that being 2023 Axl. Of course it wasn't written by Duff or Slash, but they put their instruments over it so - fine with me.

But isn't the song just basically structured like "Verse 1/Chorus/Breakdown/Verse 1 again/Chorus"? It doesn't have a second verse with different lyrics, or am I forgetting something?

Just now, beardedranga said:

Surprised they didn't get frank and Melissa on it in some capacity, for family vibes on the road 😅

It's evident that Axl wants to use Brain's drum tracks on these songs.

As for Melissa, she seemingly contributed to the other two singles, at least according to her website (I guess she mostly replaced Pitman's parts). Maybe she isn't on Perhaps because it wasn't necessary, as Dizzy did the keyboard work.

Just now, Blackstar said:

As for Melissa, she seemingly contributed to the other two singles, at least according to her website (I guess she mostly replaced Pitman's parts). Maybe she isn't on Perhaps because it wasn't necessary, as Dizzy did the keyboard work.

I think the keyboards/piano are the same as on the old mix, just now it's mixed "properly" so they can be actually heard well. piano is fine on this.

14 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I can't wait for someone here with the appropriate ear and skills to seamlessly add in Robin's solo to the released mix, assuming that's possible using the leak and final version. Hopefully they don't pull Robin's solo from the earlier leak that was tampered with and had the quality reduced. (you can hear hissing in the beginning, as if it came from tape, which was added) Whomever did that was an ass.  

I believe that had already been pieced together by someone. I haven’t heard it so I can’t judge on the quality.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

I thought everyone was complaining that Frank was on Hard Skool? So these three tracks so far are all Brain?

Just now, Ak1nney said:

I thought everyone was complaining that Frank was on Hard Skool? So these three tracks so far are all Brain?

Yeah, although heavily edited on Absurd and especially Hard Skool, to the point that they probably ended being a completely different thing.

4 minutes ago, zombux said:

no. it's 23+ years old vocal track again, just like with the previous two releases.

According to a press release, per Audacy, the song was “written and recorded by Axl Rose, Slash, and Duff McKagan this year,”and marks their “first collective new composition and recording together in 30 years”

🤷‍♂️

Hearing a low bitrate rip of the initial radio broadcast again, of course it is hard to judge but even now I am thinking this may be the strongest re-working so far among the 3 released singles. 

I do think this sounds like Village Session-era Axl to me still, maybe from a different vocal take we hadn't heard from that time or they comped a vocal track using slightly different edits but the same overall track

5 minutes ago, zombux said:

I think the keyboards/piano are the same as on the old mix, just now it's mixed "properly" so they can be actually heard well. piano is fine on this.

Yeah, I meant regardless of when keyboards were recorded, it was apparently Dizzy who played them, not Pitman, so Melissa wasn't needed.

13 hours ago, TiedHands said:

Y'all defending Slash's solo have to be purposefully trolling, or being contrarians lol. It is a terrible solo. Honestly probably the worst Slash solo of any GNR song that comes to mind. Embarrassingly bad. 

Not trolling or being contrarian, I just genuinely think Slash's solo is fine :)  I respect all opinions including those who prefer Robin's take on it, I see no reason to argue with anyone about our own ears' preferences in that sense - even though I do maintain that some comments about Slash's playing in general post-2016 can get a bit hyperbolic

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2