Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

10 hours ago, Tyson said:

My review: eh.  Grows on you after multiple listens but if it had been released as an official single for an upcoming album, I'd be incredibly disappointed.  

This ain’t pop. It’s okay that it’s growing the more you listen to it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Another song about each other! It's as if Slash and Axl were lovers in an another universe....musically at least

Did Slash hear Perhaps years ago before us?

‘A loaded gun jammed by a rose…Your ego cursed you till you bled…You cannot crucify the dead…New soldiers now say That your beggars collect Re-crucified and paid by you’

‘You pulled the gun hey hey

That shot and crucified my saviour

Now he is no more and I am without you

Just like I was before the way I used to be’

• Wow 1
  • PERHAPS 2

14 hours ago, Sosso said:

UYI had lots of epic songs without Izzy's songwriting. November Rain, Breakdown and Estranged for example. I would say those sound very much like GnR 

I get your point, and it’s well received. But I said ‘struggle’ not ‘can’t’

Not so easy for them to just write another November Rain or Estranged. That’s the point 

1 hour ago, THELINESMAN said:

Did Slash hear Perhaps years ago before us?

‘A loaded gun jammed by a rose…Your ego cursed you till you bled…You cannot crucify the dead…New soldiers now say That your beggars collect Re-crucified and paid by you’

‘You pulled the gun hey hey

That shot and crucified my saviour

Now he is no more and I am without you

Just like I was before the way I used to be’

perhaps could  be about Stephanie seymore or Erin everly.

Edited by Bloodyhell81
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 10:17 AM, Billy Cundy said:

Duff’s a wicked bass player. His lines give it a lot more life and personality. And slash gives it some 70s gunslinger swagger that makes Guns sound like Guns.

ultimately however, it stylistically remains a relic of the bleak, dreadlocked early 2000s. As claustrophobic, hook-free, and joyless as anything else from the Chinese Democracy era. Sorry. Just my opinion.

The mere-exposure effect is forcing me to reappraise Perhaps and rethink my initial assessment. One thing is for sure, it is certainly the best track they’ve put out in terms of mix, and it’s a mercifully simple straightforward structure (Hard Skool was mired and hobbled by the weird meandering bridge/middle 8 that went nowhere). Sounds less hodgepodge, more like a band than members retooling old tracks.

the marketing job has also been far better - the cover art is cool, and the video is GREAT. It’s a mature recapitulation of the Paradise City vid. The band look happy and it’s a pleasure to watch. 

I still think it sounds like it was written to be played over the end credits of a bad Final Destination movie, it has that grungy joyless mid-2000s thing baked into it. But I’m appreciating it a little more now. In a perfect world, this would’ve dropped a year after NITL tour commenced and we’d already have an album of Axl’s barrel scrapings.
In spite of my tepid praise, as usual, for me, it completely decimates everything Slash has done with Myles Kennedy. 

Edited by Billy Cundy
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

7 hours ago, agustingloger said:

I love what he says about old demos being released years later. 

Seems to me he is talking about old song ideas being brought back and recorded/recorded later. Like e.g. Neil Young and his Razorlove. 

Sounds like he believes Axls voice still is a current recording etc. From what he says about the youtube-comments  

Might not change his opinion (don’t see why it should) but there is a dfference. I mean what artist/band doesn’t go back to old ideas or look through an old notebook for lyrics-ideas. 

I listened to Justin while doing my dishes, so might have heard wrong. But that was my impression. That he thinks the whole recording is done in 2023. 

First proper listen via my big audio set up, man, this makes me emotional. Axl's voice, Slash's guitar licks, Duff's kicking bass together in a well thought out UYI like track.

Like Justin Hawkins said, Axls voice in all it's different layers is really one of a kind. 

And when the piano kicks back in after that little break.. fuck yeah!

Now go and make an album like this guys, this is awesome. 

What a weight upon your shoulder...

• Like 1
  • PERHAPS 1

6 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

As a singer, I personally disagree and am stunned Axl is struggling with it to the amount he currently is.

I think the chorus is one of the hardest and has no space to breath properly. And Axl almost nailed it live. 

But I agree that the verses are “easy” and he was changing voices during the live show. A Rehearsal would fix that.

20 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Listen to catcher and then listen to Perhaps straight after....so many possible connections....really want rework Atlas (one I think could actually benefit from a work up and remix - those opening synths will go or be altered for a start...) So with Atlas can complete the sort of modern Guns trilogy...

When all is said and done
We're not the only ones
Who look at life this way
That's what the young folks say
But every time I'd see them
Makes me wish I had a gun
If I thought that I was crazy
Well I guess I'd have more fun
It's what used to be's not there for me
And ought to find someone that belongs insane like I do
Oh no

Other reason I see this as connected to Catcher and Lennon is MDC was noted to have been a Beatles and Lennon fan but came to resent Lennon for his comments on religion, the Beatles being bigger than Jesus and so forth. Essentially that Lennon was a sacrilegious figure and a false idol. So the "shot and crucified my savior" line is Axl acknowledging he and others still view Lennon that way and killing him did nothing to change that 

But in this song, while portions seem inspired by those events, it's left vague outside of that one line, unlike Catcher which is more direct

3 minutes ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

Other reason I see this as connected to Catcher and Lennon is MDC was noted to have been a Beatles and Lennon fan but came to resent Lennon for his comments on religion, the Beatles being bigger than Jesus and so forth. Essentially that Lennon was a sacrilegious figure and a false idol. So the "shot and crucified my savior" line is Axl acknowledging he and others still view Lennon that way and killing him did nothing to change that 

But in this song, while portions seem inspired by those events, it's left vague outside of that one line, unlike Catcher which is more direct

I don't get the vibe from the lyrics in Perhaps that it has anything to do with Lennon, just my opinion.

33 minutes ago, NachoLZ said:

All you guys crying about the solo before the release and people love it lol even casuals, Slash slaps.

I love Slash as a guitar player. I really do. He’s my favourite of all time. He makes the guitar speak when he wants to. His sense of melody and feeling is unmatched. With all that in mind, I think it’s fair to say, the Perhaps solo is shit. 

• Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

5 minutes ago, THELINESMAN said:

I love Slash as a guitar player. I really do. He’s my favourite of all time. He makes the guitar speak when he wants to. His sense of melody and feeling is unmatched. With all that in mind, I think it’s fair to say, the Perhaps solo is shit. 

it's fair to say that that's your opinion, I happen to really like it, even if I prefer Robin's original solo.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, THELINESMAN said:

The more I’ve listened to the song, the more his solo works imo. Not flashy, but fitting. 

• Like 4